Rock fashion: now and then

There was a lot of hokey, goofy looking stuff in the 70's, too. When I hear people saying they're embarassed for their generation, I have to smile. I felt the same way in the 80's. Every era has it's crap and it's good stuff.

There was a lot of hokey, goofy looking stuff in the 70's, too. When I hear people saying they're embarassed for their generation, I have to smile. I felt the same way in the 80's. Every era has it's crap and it's good stuff.

the 80s would have to be the worst by far, imo. hard to find anyone who's style from the 80s still looks good today.

:lol: Worked on me too. Early in my Zep days, like so many other girls, I certainly succumbed to those stares. ;)

Back to fashion: Jimmy is probably one of the few people who could get away with wearing this combo and look great doing so:

JP75shirtdragonpants.jpg

:lol: Oh I know what you mean by that - this isn't quite as bad with the Jimmy fashion, but as you said he could get away with wearing anything because he was so unbelievably good looking!!!

jimmytartanpants.jpg

:o;)

:lol: Oh I know what you mean by that - this isn't quite as bad with the Jimmy fashion, but as you said he could get away with wearing anything because he was so unbelievably good looking!!!

jimmytartanpants.jpg

:o;)

that one must be his bay city rollers outfit.......... :D

but damn he STILL looks hot! how does he do it???????

i understand what you are saying, but it can go the other way too. i appreciate that the zep guys took pride in their appearance. agreed though, they were going on stage to perform to a cash paying public. i wouldnt really dig a guy who preened himself for an hour just to go get the mail! the stars of today need to take a leaf out of zeps book.....i mean look at the way the foos were dressed for their "night of their lives......." bloody awful. they let a 64 yo outdress them. jimmy looked sooooooo much cooler than his younger counterparts!

:lol: Now slave, you know that our Jimmy could have come onstage in a burlap sack and we would have loved it because it's JIMMY!! He will always look great to us no matter what he is wearing or how old he gets ;):P:wub:

Just take for example this picture of him when the set was over and his hair is all plastered to his face. I mean, I absolutely LOVE this look - his hotness is just timeless to me...

2008_PageyJoneseywFoos9.jpg

:lol: Now slave, you know that our Jimmy could have come onstage in a burlap sack and we would have loved it because it's JIMMY!! He will always look great to us no matter what he is wearing or how old he gets ;):P:wub:

Just take for example this picture of him when the set was over and his hair is all plastered to his face. I mean, I absolutely LOVE this look - his hotness is just timeless to me...

2008_PageyJoneseywFoos9.jpg

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!

Ladies- do you still like the long haired look on guys, or do you think it would look ridiculous these days?

I still love it- especially when the guy has curly/wavy hair. :) About 4 years ago, I convinced my husband (who has curly hair like Brian May of Queen) to grow it long. It looked great, but he finally cut it 6 months ago because it was a hassle to take care of. I have long hair myself so I know what he meant.

Men with long hair...where are you nowadays??? It is so horrible that it is out of fashion for guys.

It shows you that this man is not normal and boring, and I always loved rebels.

I'm grateful that Robert doesn't go with the fashion. I mean can you imagine him or Brian May with short hair? I can't.

Men with long hair...where are you nowadays??? It is so horrible that it is out of fashion for guys.

It shows you that this man is not normal and boring, and I always loved rebels.

I'm grateful that Robert doesn't go with the fashion. I mean can you imagine him or Brian May with short hair? I can't.

I am sooo glad that I'm not the only woman that still loves the long haired look on guys!! All my friends & co-workers think that I'm weird for liking it. Thanks ladies for making me feel "normal" LOL!

Now when my husband still had his long hair, there were instances when someone made a rude comment about it: one time we walked into a hardware store, and the guy behind the counter says "can I help you ladies?". I gave him a glare but my husband just went on by like nothing was said. I asked him if it bothers him when people make rude comments but he said he really doesn't care what other people think. His hair is a lot shorter now (just reaching the shoulders instead of below it) but it still is considered longish by most people.

long hair on guys is hot. i mean, us girls like to have something to run our fingers through too, yknow!!

I always liked long hair on guys too...Anthony Keidis looks hot in long hair, remember Peter Framptons mane?! And our very own Evester has a beautiful head of hair! Good for you Ev for never changing it!

I always loved the Zep guys' jewelery. In addition to loving the pendants (talismans or amulets), that Jimmy wore, I always liked seeing him in a ring and/or bracelet:

JBJProseringbracelet.jpg

Yeah, you don't too many pics of Jimmy in rings and bracelets do ya MSG? I guess it was harder with the guitar to wear that type of jewelry but the talismans and amulets....nice....I've seen people pay big bucks to get replicas of some of his stuff made.

Ha! That's what Jimena should do for the ABC trust...come out with a Jimmy line of jewelry!! I love talismans and amulets anyway, have so many...I would certainly treasure a replica of something Jimmy owns....

Yeah, you don't too many pics of Jimmy in rings and bracelets do ya MSG? I guess it was harder with the guitar to wear that type of jewelry but the talismans and amulets....nice....I've seen people pay big bucks to get replicas of some of his stuff made.

Ha! That's what Jimena should do for the ABC trust...come out with a Jimmy line of jewelry!! I love talismans and amulets anyway, have so many...I would certainly treasure a replica of something Jimmy owns....

No, you're right, Medhb, not too many pics with a ring or bracelet - even in the candid off-stage shots you don't often see them. I cherish my talismans and amulets. I have worn one of my amulets on a chain around my neck for decades.

• 1 month later...
Some amazing 60s and 70s ladies' fashion items on this site:

Satin and Tat

And I'm nearly sure this is Charlotte (from the photo gallery on the site above):

ossiedress.jpg

Great!! AllisonAdler, you found this photograph well!

This model is exactly Charlotte. I confirmed it to the moderator of this site.

Her answer is ''YES''

This caption is Ossie Clark Velvet Dress From 19 Magazine 1971.

I heard that she was modeled in fashion magazines for young women named Petticoat and 19 Magazine etc from late 60's to early 70's.

But did she work as a model for a while after having given birth to Scarlet?

JP_1969-02.jpg

Jimmy was so cute too at that time.

I believe they were perfect couple even now.

She was a beautiful girl from head to foot.

283456_large.jpg

288213_large.jpg

All I have to say is that 70s rock star fashion is WAY better than all the "rock stars" today with their emo haircuts and manliner. I mean, come on. They probably use more gel and makeup than their girlfriends, and that is just not right. Guys shouldn't take longer than their girls to get ready. My generation makes me sad.

I agree 100%. Ugly tats, baggy-ass drawers, knit caps on the head even in summer, painted nails (no, painting 'em black doesn't make you look any less fruity, fools) - these geeks today have about as much fashion sense as they do musical talent: NONE WHATSOEVER.

Bring back the Classic Jimmy/Robert Style, sez I! By God, if I could still grow hair, you can bet it'd be flowing in the breeze - shit, I'd probably wear a dragon suit, too..... :D

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you are not running around wearing a girl's blouse and showing your chest hair!

Well, no obviously not that eccentric. Actually I don't have chest hair; im 19. But I often do wear colorful flowing button shirts, sometimes plaud, almost completely unfastened. And ripped jeans, not quite as tight as plants. I dress like this and alot of people consider me preppy, I shrug and usually tell people if it comes up I just dress like Robert Plant. lol

I find this ironic too. I think it is part of a general misperception that LZ is a metal band.

It's also funny to me because just a few days ago I was watching the Royal Albert Hall footage and I noticed Jimmy Page was wearing an argyle sweater vest. Somehow I can't picture any of the guys from Iron Maiden wearing argyle sweater vests onstage!

Lol, take a look at this pic and tell me it doesn't look METUHL.

LedZeppelincool.jpg

I am sooo glad that I'm not the only woman that still loves the long haired look on guys!! All my friends & co-workers think that I'm weird for liking it. Thanks ladies for making me feel "normal" LOL!

I've been married (almost 3 decades) to a guy who still sports long hair.

70's fashion...what can I say? I think the 70's remains the best decade - fashion and musicwise.

Archived