Riddle me this, riddle me that

wanna be drummer

At one of my jobs (I have two), the only thing I do, literally, is pass out fliers in parking lots. I pick my hours, I work on my own time, I can do whatever I want, so long as I get fliers and cards passed out.

I realize that many people (probably everybody reading this even) has gotten a flier put on their car and hated it because it's a "hassle" or something.

Well tough luck. Anywho, my question is simple: Is it technically against the law to do this?

I know that parking lots (in almost every case) is owned by the store or plaza and they can tell you to leave. But, what would the cops do if I didn't leave? I was walking back to my car this morning and a lady ran outside and called out, "HEY YOU! I CALLED THE COPS! NO SOLICITING IN THE PARKING LOT!"

To which I answered, "Um...ok? Have fun telling him that he wasted his time coming over here.." Then I left.

What would the cop have done though, had I stayed? I imagine he would've just sighed and asked me to leave, but what could he have done? Whats the worst that could come my way if this happens?

At one of my jobs (I have two), the only thing I do, literally, is pass out fliers in parking lots. I pick my hours, I work on my own time, I can do whatever I want, so long as I get fliers and cards passed out.

I realize that many people (probably everybody reading this even) has gotten a flier put on their car and hated it because it's a "hassle" or something.

Well tough luck. Anywho, my question is simple: Is it technically against the law to do this?

I know that parking lots (in almost every case) is owned by the store or plaza and they can tell you to leave. But, what would the cops do if I didn't leave? I was walking back to my car this morning and a lady ran outside and called out, "HEY YOU! I CALLED THE COPS! NO SOLICITING IN THE PARKING LOT!"

To which I answered, "Um...ok? Have fun telling him that he wasted his time coming over here.." Then I left.

What would the cop have done though, had I stayed? I imagine he would've just sighed and asked me to leave, but what could he have done? Whats the worst that could come my way if this happens?

I wouldn't sweat it Wannabe....just tell him you didn't notice any signs saying no soliciting in the parking lot. I think that person was out of line...I rather doubt the cops would even come unless the caller demanded a cop report to the scene, you'd probably be long gone by then anyway.

The day they throw you in jail for that? Gimme a ring, I know a good Lawyer B)

I wouldn't sweat it Wannabe....just tell him you didn't notice any signs saying no soliciting in the parking lot. I think that person was out of line...I rather doubt the cops would even come unless the caller demanded a cop report to the scene, you'd probably be long gone by then anyway.

If I were you I'd be on the way to "Venus" right away. This one thinks she can run everyone elses lives for them.

Did "Bonzo" tell you ATT's rates from EARTH MED to VENUS?

:hysterical:

Yeah, I figured she was just a bitch, oh well :lol:

One guy from Meijers (a huge Meijers though) asked me if I could leave because it was private property and it could take away from business (hard to explain) and I politely said all right and left. No harm done. But seriously, call the cops? Seriously just fuck off. Next time I'll tell her to call the cops and I'll wait and waste all of our time.

If you just cheated and just tossed a bunch of fliers in the garbage is there anyway your boss would find out??

If you just cheated and just tossed a bunch of fliers in the garbage is there anyway your boss would find out??

First of all, he's a family friend and that would be a bitch move to a great guy

Secondly, yeah sort of. If not one person comes in and says I got this card on window so I came in, then i think my boss would know

Yeah the cops would've asked you to leave and not come back again to hand out flyers. If you refused to leave, and I mean really refused to leave, then you would've been arressted for trespassing.

It's not a crime to hand out flyers, but if you're doing it on private property, the owners or management can't forbid you from doing it, they can only ask you to leave.

That's dishonest! :o And besides, it he didn't do his job, and the company wasn't getting any new business because of the fliers, they would probably fire him. Why would you want to keep paying for advertising that wasn't yielding any profit?

That's dishonest! :o And besides, it he didn't do his job, and the company wasn't getting any new business because of the fliers, they would probably fire him. Why would you want to keep paying for advertising that wasn't yielding any profit?

Yes but isn't it better than standing out in the heat all day waiting for people to take that stuff from you?? I have seen them in this city having to stand on the street corner all day while people just pass them by. An hour or two in i would be bailing and tossing them.

But in his case i can see why he didn't.

At one of my jobs (I have two), the only thing I do, literally, is pass out fliers in parking lots.

Technically;you could be charged with criminal trespass.

....and if the cop was a real dick/bitch,you could also be charged with tampering with a motor vehicle,for lifting the windshield wiper to place the flyer.

Now;whether or not anything would actually come of it is another story.

Every jurisdiction is different, but unless there is a specific ordinance or municipal code against soliciting, the police aren't likely to be able or willing to do anything. And the same goes for the "No Soliciting Sign" put up by the retail store. Signs by themselves do not make an ordinance. For example: in order for a "no soliciting sign" or any other sign prohibiting parking, skateboarding, loitering etc. to be considered enforcable on private property, the actual ordinace code must be clearly stated on the sign itself. At least that was my experience when I used to manage a retail store in Los Angeles. But you could however be charged with trespassing after the retail owners have asked you to leave, but had then refused.

Archived