Whole Lotta Love - BBC Sessions Disc 1

kashmiran

I am aware of where it was recorded. I mean that whoever the technician manning the recording booth was, that person witnessed a truly historic version. And your right. Far too many recordings.

WLL - My top 5:

1. BBC Sessions - C'mon man, just LISTEN to it!

2. 7.27.73 (AKA TSRTS) - It's just so awfully powerful. Plus this version of Boogie Chillun kicks ass!

3. 8.11.79 (AKA Knebworth) - Yes, I said the 11th, and I meant it! It's just plain awesome! Plant gets his wail back, and Bonzo is in top form! Plus the "You need love" mid-section really adds to the song.

4. Royal Albert Hall 1970 - Plant just won't quit his ridiculous vocal-gymnastics! Not that that's a bad thing, mind you!

5. TIE: 6.25.72 / 6.27.72 (AKA HTWWW) - "I don't want much...Just a little bit!"

Yeah, most of these are legitimately released versions, but they truly are my favorites, just the same. Trust me, though, I have heard bootlegs with this on it, in spite of this list, believe you me!

I am aware of where it was recorded. I mean that whoever the technician manning the recording booth was, that person witnessed a truly historic version. And your right. Far too many recordings.

WLL - My top 5:

1. BBC Sessions - C'mon man, just LISTEN to it!

2. 7.27.73 (AKA TSRTS) - It's just so awfully powerful. Plus this version of Boogie Chillun kicks ass!

3. 8.11.79 (AKA Knebworth) - Yes, I said the 11th, and I meant it! It's just plain awesome! Plant gets his wail back, and Bonzo is in top form! Plus the "You need love" mid-section really adds to the song.

4. Royal Albert Hall 1970 - Plant just won't quit his ridiculous vocal-gymnastics! Not that that's a bad thing, mind you!

5. TIE: 6.25.72 / 6.27.72 (AKA HTWWW) - "I don't want much...Just a little bit!"

Yeah, most of these are legitimately released versions, but they truly are my favorites, just the same. Trust me, though, I have heard bootlegs with this on it, in spite of this list, believe you me!

ah, i see what you mean. ok. i guess my favorites would be the 2 1972 california shows you mention. i just love the medleys, Jimmy is on fire, and Robert's performances on those nights are the best of his career in my opinion. second for me, would probably be Vienna 1973. for me, that is Jimmy's best night ever, and its just an amazing performance of the song overall. knebworth 8/4 is awesome too, but i really prefer the earlier versions with all the great medleys.

Wasn't that recorded in one take if I am not mistaken, at least the vocals were.

Everything was recorded in one take except the guitar, which was overdubbed (partially) in a separate studio before the broadcast.

I'd love to hear WLL from Vienna, the whole show for that matter but haven't gotten my hands on it yet. My favorite Whole Lotta Love at this moment is Berlin 1980. Bonzo's last song and show. The whole band was great on that one.

Archived