Favourite Live Moments

moose351

From time to time, a certain riff or live segment, can really stand out. Mine at the moment is the last blues jam during Dazed on TSRTS. It's at about 23:40 in the song. Jimmy's Paul is wailing, while Bonzo and Jonesy are doing circus tricks, laying down tracks. I love the way Jimmy uses a wha peddle.

On a side note. ( not to step on Deep Purple fans toes ) I love Made in Japan. The way the intensity builds at the start of Highway Star. Makes the studio recording sound like a school band recorded in a padded room. Their live work felt so much different from the studio albums. I can't listen to them. Zeppelin never had this problem. Alot of Purple fans I've spoken to, aren't that keen on Made in Japan, prefering their studio albums. Maybe listing to their live performance first didn't help me? <_<

I actually made the mistake of claiming to my old studio teacher (who was a Purple fan), that Bonzo was better than Ian Pace. Bonzo is still god, but after listening to The Mule on Made in Japan, I was a little humbled. Moby Dick is still better in my opinion, but the paradiddles that Pace does on that recording are astounding. He's layering the bastards at one stage. Absolutely staggering. :blink:

Anyway, 23:40 into Dazed, is my favourite at present. Might have to go and listen to it again now. :D

"My my my my my my my my my my my!!!! Aw suck iiiit!"

Love it!

A side note Moose. If you look for this thread later and can't find it, the mods will likely have moved it to the Live Zeppelin area. Just a heads up. :beer:

Love it!

A side note Moose. If you look for this thread later and can't find it, the mods will likely have moved it to the Live Zeppelin area. Just a heads up. :beer:

Geeeee you know your Zep. So you enjoy that bit too <_<

Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to see what you say about my other posts. (pigeon hole)

Love it!

Do you have an opinion about what I said about Deep Purple?

Made In Japan is one of my favorite albums of all time. I don't think the Mule is as dynamic as Bonzo could be, but yeah Paice sure can work a snare drum! More of a marching style drummer than Bonham, who had a more funk background (though you have to be looking to notice the subtleties. But they're there). My band did the live version of Highway Star for years! Sweet Child in Time is EPIC!!

Made In Japan is one of my favorite albums of all time. I don't think the Mule is as dynamic as Bonzo could be, but yeah Paice sure can work a snare drum! More of a marching style drummer than Bonham, who had a more funk background (though you have to be looking to notice the subtleties. But they're there). My band did the live version of Highway Star for years! Sweet Child in Time is EPIC!!

Do you think the studio albums sound weak compared to Made in Japan?

Do you think the studio albums sound weak compared to Made in Japan?

Not really. I wouldn't say weak at all. They had a different production style than Zeppelin for example. Jimmy wanted that depth and heaviness. Blackmore had a different take. Certainly Purple were heavier live than in the studio, but so were Zeppelin. In fact that could be said for most rock groups. It's difficult not to go all out when you're pushing 120 decilbels! :lol:

Favourite moment:

"Dazed and Confused" at Earl's Court, May 24th 1975 when Robert starts singing the medley of "Woodstock". the atmospherics in that still sends tingles down my spine.

Meg

I love that! They vamp into it so subtlely!

Not really. I wouldn't say weak at all. They had a different production style than Zeppelin for example. Jimmy wanted that depth and heaviness. Blackmore had a different take. Certainly Purple were heavier live than in the studio, but so were Zeppelin. In fact that could be said for most rock groups. It's difficult not to go all out when you're pushing 120 decilbels! :lol:

Interesting side note. It's been said by a DJ of the time, that Led Zep 1 was the loudest album of all. The groove in the vinyl was deeper than any other album, producing more signal through the stylus. Don't know if it's a fact. He seemed to think so.

Interesting side note. It's been said by a DJ of the time, that Led Zep 1 was the loudest album of all. The groove in the vinyl was deeper than any other album, producing more signal through the stylus. Don't know if it's a fact. He seemed to think so.

Anybody got Jim Ladd's number? Rachie, I know you do! Could you get back to us? :beer:

number one moment for me (and probably many others here) is the hair-raising opening salvo by Bonzo on TSRTS , 6-21-77. No matter how many times I hear it, it's just a rush every time. He comes out of that insane fill -POW!- and the guy in the crowd just screams WHOOOOOOO! Best if played at ear-splitting concert volume of course

I currently have soooo many favorite moments,it's hard to list just one, but here are some of my favorites:

1. TSRTS Uncut No Quarter solo

2. TSRTS SIBLY Intro

3. HTWWW SIBLY solo, especially the beginning (LISTEN TO THIS UN FREAKING BELIEVABLE FLUID PAGE GUITAR WORK!!) :thumbsup:

4. HTWW OTHFA Plant's voice is right on!!

This is certainly a subject I can't capture in one sitting.

I enjoy Jimmy's theremin work, which just happens to really irritate my wife; so it's got an added bonus in my book. Some shows, Bonzo and Jonesy are a little extra funky which are just makes it better. 4 theremin sections that do it for me:

Detroit 7/13/73. Probably JP's longest.

Berlin 3/19/73 & St. Louis 2/16/75 & Vancouver 3/19/75 - love the groove laid down by the other 2.

Speaking of Bonzo, some of his drumming is extra fricken phenomenal. Yes, TSRTS from 6/21/77 showed his quickness, but the power in The Rover intro probably changed a lot of people's heart rhythms that night. In ALAIHY from 4/24/69, he there blastin away, which makes that recording extra special because you can really hear the the rhythm section. Check out Dazed and Confused from Hamburg and Essen in 1973. Dude was possessed. I'll throw in Vienna for Evster. :D

The first three minutes of Jimmy's violin bow solo in TSRTS was what made me a Zeppelin fan. I knew about their music before and liked their stuff, but it was when I first saw that when I declared myself a fan. Since then I've seen/heard hundreds of violin bow solos, but for some reason, that one stands out to me as the best.

I agree! I listened to Live In japan for about five years before I heard more the two of their songs from the studio. I still to this day enjoy DP live stuff over their studio. infact the same situation can be said about Zeppelin for me.

If I thought about this long enough, I could probably come up with hundreds of favorite live moments. The most heart-stopping, breathtaking moments for me occurred when the band went on stage and the concerts started: when the band played the drone and then launched into the Immigrant Song – 1972 and then when Bonzo hits the cymbals to begin R&R – 1973, 1975. It's hard for me to describe the emotion in writing but if I listen to a live recording of the Zep concerts I attended, I can still feel it.

Immigrant Song from Vancouver 71 still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Thundering Bonham intro and the band without delay, kicks right into the show. Strobe light flashing. Plants voice better than ever, Jimmy rippin' it out, and an amazing crowd make this the stand out moment for me. The rest of the show is my second choice ;)

If I thought about this long enough, I could probably come up with hundreds of favorite live moments. The most heart-stopping, breathtaking moments for me occurred when the band went on stage and the concerts started: when the band played the drone and then launched into the Immigrant Song – 1972 and then when Bonzo hits the cymbals to begin R&R – 1973, 1975. It's hard for me to describe the emotion in writing but if I listen to a live recording of the Zep concerts I attended, I can still feel it.

Absolutely green with envy. I was born in 75' so missed seeing them live. The best i could get was lying on the floor with a speaker on each side of my head, eyes closed, ears on the verge of hurting. I sometimes felt I could have been sitting in the front row, jimmy standing above me, wailing out the riffs. A few cones always helped the illusion........... LOL

I have many of them.

I like "Black Dog" on The Song Remains The Same DVD, and the way that Robert Plant moves while Jimmy Page is playing its riff. Excellent.

"Since I've Been Loving You" in TSRTS, especially the intro and the ending.

"No Quarter" solo on TSRTS and John Paul Jones fantasy sequence.

"Stairway To Heaven" on TSRTS.

Archived