why led zeppelin can't be defined as british invasion?

iommilee

As well as Pink Floyd,they're all from UK,and sold well in US.

Well, they are part of the British Invasion, but that term wore off a few years earlier and generally (if I am not mistaken) to bands like the Beatles, the Who, the Stones, the Byrds, etc...there's a wikipedia article about it, and points to the Sex Pistols and the New wave as the Second invasion. By the time of Zeppelin, the British were no longer in front of the American bands, but I maintain that without Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Queen, T-Rex, Bowie, etc and the British bands I mentioned before them, rock music would've been pretty non-existent as we know it today..in other words, pretty boring. Long live the Brits!!

Well, they are part of the British Invasion, but that term wore off a few years earlier and generally (if I am not mistaken) to bands like the Beatles, the Who, the Stones, the Byrds, etc...there's a wikipedia article about it, and points to the Sex Pistols and the New wave as the Second invasion. By the time of Zeppelin, the British were no longer in front of the American bands, but I maintain that without Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Queen, T-Rex, Bowie, etc and the British bands I mentioned before them, rock music would've been pretty non-existent as we know it today..in other words, pretty boring. Long live the Brits!!

Thank you very much indeed!I'm from China.In a Chinese big Forum,there is a discusion on old brits band. In my mind,I always think that BRITISH INVASION must be sold well in Uk firstly!HaHa I might be wrong!

BTW.JIMMY PAGE's performance is really imprissive and dramatic.I think JIMMY is the most beloved guitarist in China now,especially for the girls!

the byrds are american. sorry.

the 'birds' with ron wood were u.k., but not generally considered 'british invasion'.

the 'myna birds' (1966) were a canadian band that paired rick james with neil young (james was in canada on the run from the us government).

your post highlights the best of british bands to catch favor with both u.s. listeners and musicians alike. your post also neglects the dreck that was imposed on the u.s. due to cute guys with cool accents and good looking haircuts: hermans hermits, dave clark five, gerry and the pacemakers, peter and gordon, the new vaudeville band, billy j. kramer and the dakotas, freddy and the dreamers (an ex-milkman who refused to share a dressing room with the rolling stones, so keith richards left empty milk bottles outside his door with a note saying 'four pints, please' )englebert humperdinck (who broke the beatles string of consecutive number ones when strawberry fields/penny lane double 'a' side was prevented from reaching the toppermost by 'release me').

i would state that the real second wave was punk/post punk/new wave and included the clash, adam ant, culture club, madness, ABC, the cure, squeeze, simple minds, rick astley, and wham! not to mention hundreds of others that can be seen on vh1's 'one hit wonders'.

but zeppelin? besides the beatles, the REAL powerhouse from britian, and for that, i owe jolly ole england a drink and some back up in a bar fight when ever they ask me....

Thank you very much indeed!I'm from China.In a Chinese big Forum,there is a discusion on old brits band. In my mind,I always think that BRITISH INVASION must be sold well in Uk firstly!HaHa I might be wrong!

BTW.JIMMY PAGE's performance is really imprissive and dramatic.I think JIMMY is the most beloved guitarist in China now,especially for the girls!

How's it going "iommilee" from China? What did you think of the Olympic games in Beijing? In my opinion, by the time LED ZEPPELIN came out, like Cream, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd, The British Invasion had already invaded America and rocked them good. There was nothing left to invade in America.

As far as Jimmy is concerned, I'm sure that he got some Chinese tush before he left China. I've had Chinese women in my life here in America and they are wild as hell. ROCK ON!

They technically are. But Floyd was apart of the British invasion they came to American about the same time the Beatles did I think. Around 65 or so.

pink floyd 1st u.s. tour: november, 1967.

5 months after the beatles released sgt. pepper their 8th u.k. album.

beatles 1st u.s. tour: feb. 1964.

but zeppelin? besides the beatles, the REAL powerhouse from britian, and for that, i owe jolly ole england a drink and some back up in a bar fight when ever they ask me....

Hey Beatbo,

You dont owe us a cent mate, WW1-WW2-Korea-(sorry bout Nam)-Falklands-Gulf War, says it all really, you lot were their and did more than your bit.

Now if you can get over here on Saturday week, I might need a little help looking after my adopted Zepp Tribute Band, "Led By Zeppelin", at Ashford Football Ground, Ashford, Kent.

There will be a few of these waiting :beer: for ya mate. :lol:

Regards, Danny

PS, We English should have helped you Confederates in the ACW, might have been a whole lot different now if we had dont you think?

Hey Beatbo,

You dont owe us a cent mate, WW1-WW2-Korea-(sorry bout Nam)-Falklands-Gulf War, says it all really, you lot were their and did more than your bit.

Now if you can get over here on Saturday week, I might need a little help looking after my adopted Zepp Tribute Band, "Led By Zeppelin", at Ashford Football Ground, Ashford, Kent.

There will be a few of these waiting :beer: for ya mate. :lol:

Regards, Danny

PS, We English should have helped you Confederates in the ACW, might have been a whole lot different now if we had dont you think?

hey, danny!

watch out, buddy....one day you'll casually do the invite on the forum and then i'll show up to see the band and sample your own homecooked puddings!

or:

you bring the family my way and i'll introduce you to some true rebels who are still fighting the ACW. free flags, dress up as confederates, shoot authentic weaponry, eat shitty food like johnny reb did (i recommend you fake eat the food and i'll throw down some serious cooking that will have you inviting the rest of your relatives and extending your stay).

that's right: beatbo can cook!

To me "British Invasion" means all the great bands (not the dreck like beatbo mentioned) from the 60s and 70s because that is the music that invaded my heart, mind and soul.

that's a good point, angel. i wasn't trying to run down british rock and roll or pop. i love it myself. i've just lost the "invasion" label because it means those bands i mentioned usually and britain has produced so much more over the long-term. too be honest, i also love books, films, and tv shows from the u.k.

if your heart has been invaded by good british music, i'm quite certain you have excellent taste.

hey, danny!

watch out, buddy....one day you'll casually do the invite on the forum and then i'll show up to see the band and sample your own homecooked puddings!

or:

you bring the family my way and i'll introduce you to some true rebels who are still fighting the ACW. free flags, dress up as confederates, shoot authentic weaponry, eat shitty food like johnny reb did (i recommend you fake eat the food and i'll throw down some serious cooking that will have you inviting the rest of your relatives and extending your stay).

that's right: beatbo can cook!

I knew it wouldn't take you long to reply to that post.

You cook, I knew that already, your a souther man, that means a real man in my book, a kick ass rebel to be sure.

Any time you fancy going east drop by or call in, i do a mean steak (bout 2oz :lol: but you might get 4) and chips with fried tomos, onion and shrooms, wife loves it and cant get enough, she likes the steak too. :lol:

And if i go to the USA, then the CSA will defo get a visit from me, you esp. And i have me own Battle Flag so i could join the 1st Mississippians or someink like them ay?

And just to keep on topic, wasn't the Pilgrim Fathers the first British Music Invasion? they did bring Gallows Pole over from England you know?

Regards, Danny

Ps, Oh by the way, Led By Zeppelin are a great bunch of Zepp fans as well as playing excelent Zepp covers, i have a DVD of them if you want to see em play, almost as good as evester i think. :lol:

I knew it wouldn't take you long to reply to that post.

You cook, I knew that already, your a souther man, that means a real man in my book, a kick ass rebel to be sure.

Any time you fancy going east drop by or call in, i do a mean steak (bout 2oz :lol: but you might get 4) and chips with fried tomos, onion and shrooms, wife loves it and cant get enough, she likes the steak too. :lol:

And if i go to the USA, then the CSA will defo get a visit from me, you esp. And i have me own Battle Flag so i could join the 1st Mississippians or someink like them ay?

And just to keep on topic, wasn't the Pilgrim Fathers the first British Music Invasion? they did bring Gallows Pole over from England you know?

Regards, Danny

Ps, Oh by the way, Led By Zeppelin are a great bunch of Zepp fans as well as playing excelent Zepp covers, i have a DVD of them if you want to see em play, almost as good as evester i think. :lol:

the pilgrims on the mayflower did come over with a small musical emsemble that played a version of 'gallows pole' leadbelly stole it, called it 'gallis pole' and there you are. the pilgrims also did their own version of 'whole lotta love' because they hated steve marriot and loved jimmy page. so me and the pilgrims are cool.

danny, i live right down the street from the beauvoir. i may have told you this.

http://beauvoir.org/index.html

Image0.jpg

here's what they do there:

P0052.jpg

then, we shall take my buddy's boat out and catch some snapper and some lemon fish and after i cook that for you, we''l roll a drunk and rumbel to louisiana and bother the rest of the CSA ledheds.

whaddya say?

the pilgrims on the mayflower did come over with a small musical emsemble that played a version of 'gallows pole' leadbelly stole it, called it 'gallis pole' and there you are. the pilgrims also did their own version of 'whole lotta love' because they hated steve marriot and loved jimmy page. so me and the pilgrims are cool.

danny, i live right down the street from the beauvoir. i may have told you this.

http://beauvoir.org/index.html

Image0.jpg

here's what they do there:

P0052.jpg

then, we shall take my buddy's boat out and catch some snapper and some lemon fish and after i cook that for you, we''l roll a drunk and rumbel to louisiana and bother the rest of the CSA ledheds.

whaddya say?

I fucking love the south, its got such character, its so much more like England than the north. Is that a 12lb Napoleon in the bottom picture? I could see me self in the grey you know?

Sorry to disapoint but i haven't had a drop of alcohol since September 1989, no other reason than people said i couldn't stop drinking, so i stoped, i like a challenge. And now i watch all the drunks make fools of themselves, like i did, and i have a good laugh at their expence, and no one asks you to buy a drink as to them you dont drink, if that makes sence to you?

Haven't had meat or fish since the BSE scare in 1996, the food chain in this country sucks so much i thought i would singlehandedly destroy it, i am still trying. But for you i would have another go.

Regards, Danny

PS, And i love your flag, if you ever fancy a rebellion give me a call, i could do with the exercise.

PPS, Great link, "Dixie Land" i play that all the time on my guitar, worked it out me self, bet i have it wrong though, if you have the tab to it please post it mate.

How's it going "iommilee" from China? What did you think of the Olympic games in Beijing? In my opinion, by the time LED ZEPPELIN came out, like Cream, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd, The British Invasion had already invaded America and rocked them good. There was nothing left to invade in America.

As far as Jimmy is concerned, I'm sure that he got some Chinese tush before he left China. I've had Chinese women in my life here in America and they are wild as hell. ROCK ON!

very well,thank you! The Beiing government thought the Olympic will bring out the best in Chinese people,but for the ordinary people especially the 80's like me,think that all in all is a show-off thing.We don't have much of that folks who took part in the physical exercises regularly.

I think American music brought a lot of influences to Led Zeppelin,such as Robert Johnson,Muddy Waters,Howlin' Wolf...,which Robert Plant had admmitted yet.And before them,there are lot of fantastic American bands:Love,The Doors,Buffalo Springfield....

There a lot of sultry girls in China,innocent-outside-but-horny-inside kind of guy!!!HAHA

I think Led Zeppelin falls out of the British Invasion category because the band evolved from the Yardbirds, which were part of what is called the British Invasion of the sixties era. The Yardbirds did the invading part. Then Led Zeppelin really spun off the Yardbirds and went on to trailblaze.

Rock swept Britain. By 1964 Greater London could claim the Rolling Stones, the Yardbirds, the Who, the Kinks, the Pretty Things, Dusty Springfield, the Dave Clark Five, Peter and Gordon, Chad and Jeremy, and Manfred Mann. Manchester had the Hollies, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Freddie and the Dreamers, and Herman’s Hermits. Newcastle had the Animals. And Birmingham had the Spencer Davis Group (featuring Steve Winwood) and the Moody Blues. Bands sprang up from Belfast (Them, with Van Morrison) to St. Albans (the Zombies), with more inventive artists arriving to keep the syles moving forward, including the Small Faces, the Move, the Creation, the Troggs, Donovan, the Walker Brothers, and John’s Children.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/...%20Encyclopedia

That makes me want to barf, it's crass in so many ways. :burp:

I personally feel that a "British Invasion" as such indicates the export of a successful product into another territory. This was not the case for Led Zeppelin who were in fact broken in the US and exported back to the UK.

Like it actually matters.

I personally feel that a "British Invasion" as such indicates the export of a successful product into another territory. This was not the case for Led Zeppelin who were in fact broken in the US and exported back to the UK.

again, well-said, prime mover. i aways look forward to your posts.....

Hi 'Prime Mover' ,

I dont like to disagree with you but, seeing as beatbo agrees with you and i dont want to spark a off a war with the Confederacy (beatbo has a fucking huge army of rednecks at his beck and call) i'll just say this.

The boys all come from England, the 1st album was wrote in England and recorded at Olympic Studios London England, i would say that we, England exported Led Zeppelin to the world.

But in saying that, thank god for the American people adopting the band as one of their own as if the band had had to rely on the English public for support they would definitely have gone down like a Led Zeppelin. Funny that now every one wants to be associated with the band but in 1969 they were regarded as a bad smell by all but a few, and we few are still here supporting the band to this day and un to death in my case.

Regards, Danny

two different perspectives from across the water. i wonder: does the reverse apply to jimi hendrix? had it not been for youse (and ex-animal bass player chas chandler, from newcastle-upon-tyne, if i'm not mistaken), jimi mighta had to beg little richard for his side job back....

two different perspectives from across the water. i wonder: does the reverse apply to jimi hendrix? had it not been for youse (and ex-animal bass player chas chandler, from newcastle-upon-tyne, if i'm not mistaken), jimi mighta had to beg little richard for his side job back....

You know your stuff beatbo thats for sure, Americia and England, one and the same to me mate. Jimi would probably have stayed as a backing guitarist to whoever wanted him, what a waste that would have been, we seem to do good for one an other ah?

Regards, Danny

Archived