Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

What is the deal with some of these Canuck fans turning themselves in? I just got a glimpse of it on a hockey site. At least they turned a couple of cop cars over. Some good came of it. LOL.. Pigs. Oink Oink.

Peer pressure and fear pressure ;)

This may or may not have already been mentioned before, however, I would like to thank Canada for their help in "Operation Overlord": "D-Day". I would venture to guess that most people think of "D-Day" as a mostly American operation, but the fact is that the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada were all very vital in the operation and sucess of "Overlord".

This may or may not have already been mentioned before, however, I would like to thank Canada for their help in "Operation Overlord": "D-Day". I would venture to guess that most people think of "D-Day" as a mostly American operation, but the fact is that the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada were all very vital in the operation and sucess of "Overlord".

Juno Beach

There had to be Canadiens on Omaha beach too were there not?

Good question ! As I remember the history, the Americans landed at Utah and Omaha, the Brits landed at Sword and Gold and the Canadians landed at Juno

Good question ! As I remember the history, the Americans landed at Utah and Omaha, the Brits landed at Sword and Gold and the Canadians landed at Juno

There you go Ally.

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Allied order of battle

D-day assault routes into Normandy The order of battle for the landings was approximately as follows, east to west:

British Second Army

Sword Beach

Juno Beach

Gold Beach

Overall, the 2nd Army contingent consisted of 83,115 troops (61,715 of them British).[11] In addition to the British and Canadian combat units, eight Australian officers were attached to the British forces as observers.[14] The nominally British air and naval support units included a large number of crew from Allied nations, including several RAF squadrons manned almost exclusively by foreign air-crew.

U.S. First Army

Omaha Beach

Utah Beach

In total, the First Army contingent totalled approximately 73,000 men, including 15,600 from the airborne divisions.[11]

Wow. You really did your homework. Just imagine 34,000 plus landing at once and the Nazi's still were able to make it a hellish ordeal. It is pretty amazingn stuff. I guess Saving Private Ryan was the best dramatization yet? Even though I am a big fan of the old movies like the Longest Day and such. I often wonder which I would have picked of two poisons? Omaha Beach or Iwo Jima? Neither I guess. Good info there Danny.

Wow. You really did your homework. Just imagine 34,000 plus landing at once and the Nazi's still were able to make it a hellish ordeal. It is pretty amazingn stuff. I guess Saving Private Ryan was the best dramatization yet? Even though I am a big fan of the old movies like the Longest Day and such. I often wonder which I would have picked of two poisons? Omaha Beach or Iwo Jima? Neither I guess. Good info there Danny.

I believe there was a combined American/Canadian division that fought at Anzio and troughout the Italian campaign

I believe there was a combined American/Canadian division that fought at Anzio and troughout the Italian campaign

Sorry Ally,

But i cant find any info that Canadians fought at Anzio.

Allied Armies in Italy

C-in-C: General Sir Harold Alexander

U.S. Fifth Army

Commander:

Lieutenant-General Mark Wayne Clark

U.S. VI Corps

Major-General John P. Lucas (until February 23)Major-General Lucian K. Truscott (from February 23) Deputy commander: Major-General Lucian K. Truscott (from 16 February to February 23)Deputy commander: Major-General Vyvyan Evelegh (from 16 February to 18 March)

U.S. II Corps (from 25 May 1944)

Major-General Geoffrey Keyes

http://en.wikipedia....order_of_battle

And here on another forum it is also discussed.

http://forums.army.c...p?topic=17959.0

Unless you are refering to the "Devils Brigade" officially the 1st Special Service Force, being disbanded in December 1944. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Brigade

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Thanks Silver,

I was just looking at The Devil's Brigade's Record, very interesting and infact it was enshrined in a movie entitled The Devil's Brigade it is a 1968 film starring William Holden, Cliff Robertson, and Vince Edwards, focusing on the Force's training and deployment to Italy. I dont remember seeing this film so i will try to get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil%27s_Brigade_%28film%29

This was a truly great unit, and i would think it would rank alongside the SAS in its performance wouldnt you? its attrition rate of 600% means that it replaced itself 6 times, thats 10,800 casualties in little over a year, a truly amasing record.

Kind Regards, Danny

France, 1944

On 14 August 1944, the 1st SSF landed on the islands of Port Cros and Îles d'Hyères during Operation Dragoon, the invasion of southern France. They fought the small Battle of Port Cros in which they captured the five forts on the islands from the German Army. Nine men were killed in action or died of wounds received in combat. On 22 August it was attached to the 1st Airborne Task Force, a provisional Seventh Army airborne division, and later made part of the Task Force. On 7 September it moved with the 1st Airborne Task Force to defensive positions on the Franco-Italian border. During the war the 1,800-man unit accounted for some 12,000 German casualties, captured some 7,000 prisoners, and sustained an attrition rate of over 600%.

Edited by BIGDAN

Thanks Silver,

I was just looking at The Devil's Brigade's Record, very interesting and infact it was enshrined in a movie entitled The Devil's Brigade it is a 1968 film starring William Holden, Cliff Robertson, and Vince Edwards, focusing on the Force's training and deployment to Italy. I dont remember seeing this film so i will try to get it.

http://en.wikipedia....gade_%28film%29

This was a truly great unit, and i would think it would rank alongside the SAS in its performance wouldnt you? its attrition rate of 600% means that it replaced itself 6 times, thats 10,800 casualties in little over a year, a truly amasing record.

Kind Regards, Danny

France, 1944

On 14 August 1944, the 1st SSF landed on the islands of Port Cros and Îles d'Hyères during Operation Dragoon, the invasion of southern France. They fought the small Battle of Port Cros in which they captured the five forts on the islands from the German Army. Nine men were killed in action or died of wounds received in combat. On 22 August it was attached to the 1st Airborne Task Force, a provisional Seventh Army airborne division, and later made part of the Task Force. On 7 September it moved with the 1st Airborne Task Force to defensive positions on the Franco-Italian border. During the war the 1,800-man unit accounted for some 12,000 German casualties, captured some 7,000 prisoners, and sustained an attrition rate of over 600%.

I guess in hindsight 10,000 casualties may be looked at as a good thing. But tell that to one single family member that was effected. And when you compare it to 911 I suppose it makes it even more impressive even though its comparing apples to oranges in a way. The wars and methods change with the times and with the advance in technology. But for their day, the technology of the second world wars still impress's me. You watch a film like U-571 and see an example. When I see that piece of shit Bin Laden watching TV and then consider the acts carried out, they look very less impressive to me than some of the military accomplishments of WWII. He just got "lucky" so to speak in my opinion. Was not as smart as they first gave him credit. If some people had done their jobs right it would not have ever happened. Ok, back to topic of Canada. Damn the blasted border patrol.

Yes. His remains were never recovered, and his name is on the memorial there for the men killed during the battle.

Thanks! I knew you'd confirm it one way or the other.

Canada is a very lovely, clean, country. I have always enjoyed my time up there, plus the food kicks ass!