What The Famous Say About Led Zeppelin

SuperDave

"[After that, Pink Floyd started to go professional, and] We would run into Cream on the road. They affected so many people. Jimmy Page must have looked at Cream and thought, 'Fuck me, I think I'll do that,' and then put together Led Zeppelin". -Roger Waters

Edited by zeppphead

Emilie de Ravin actress on "Lost" in Spin magazine March 2010:

Spin: What's your favorite music to drive to?

Emilie de Ravin: Zeppelin's "The Song Remains The Same". It's not like I'll put it on everytime I get in the car but it's very freeing.

Jared Leto actor/musician in Mojo magazine March 2010:

Mojo: What, if push comes to shove, is your all-time favorite album?

Jared Leto: I'd probably have to say Led Zeppelin II because it was one of the first albums I connected with on a deep level, and there was a lot of repeated listens, as it transported my brother and me to a different world. It was an event to put it on. I'm not sure I even knew what they looked like.

"[After that, Pink Floyd started to go professional, and] We would run into Cream on the road. They affected so many people. Jimmy Page must have looked at Cream and thought, 'Fuck me, I think I'll do that,' and then put together Led Zeppelin". -Roger Waters

Roger Waters sounds a bit jealous.

Edited by sailor86

Roger Waters sounds a bit jealous.

Probably just taking the piss.

He is partially right because Jimmy's plan was to form a power trio of guitars and drums based on Cream and Jimi's bands even though he never saw Hendrix perform.

Only thing was JP & JPJ couldn't sing!

And no drummer.

Enter Plant & Bonham and they expanded with Jones' keyboards and the rest is history.

Much the same as Pink Floyd, post Syd Barrett.

Edited by Reggie29

This is from Shawn White, the Flying Tomato. :P

70s rock fashion:

"Think about Robert Plant onstage with a smoke and a drink, holding a dove, in a frilly white shirt. How do you beat that?"

Not so accurate though, eh?

Paul Rodgers Classic Rock magazine 1/10:

On presenting the Tommy Vance Inspiration Award in honor of John Bonham at The Classic Rock Roll Of Honour Awards to Joan & Deborah Bonham:

"It was absolutely beautiful. It was an honour to give an award to John Bonham's mother and sister, because I loved the guy. Not only was he a great drummer, he was a terrific bloke."

Gotta Love Paul Rodgers :thumbsup:

Whole Lotta Love from Katie Melua

katie-melua-489x525.jpg

My light Spanish picking is far from Jimmy Page's epic guitar solos, but that doesn't mean late at night I don't pretend to be able to play them. I can do the dreaded intro for "Stairway to Heaven"; it's a rite of passage for any guitarist. Occasionally, the eight year-old Katie comes out and I have to jump up and down on the bed playing air guitar to "Black Dog" or "Immigrant Song". It's lucky I have good noise insulation at my West London flat because you have to play them really, really loud.

All my guitar friends, mostly blokes, are fans. We share the passion for Led Zeppelin, but it's not the type of thing I generally share with my girlfriends, although if they bought the Led Zeppelin albums Physical Graffiti and Led Zeppelin IV they would be astounded at how many of the songs they recognise. Teenagers always hear a Led Zeppelin song and say "Who's that? I love that song!"

I wasn't around in their heyday, I'm only 23, but I grew up in Georgia with my uncles who listened to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Metallica and Black Sabbath. It was Led Zeppelin that stood out. As a very young child, I'd sneak into my uncle's room which was covered with Led Zeppelin posters. I'd head bang and play air guitar and jump on the bed to the songs on my favourite album, Led Zeppelin IV.

Musically, they are complicated, with seven to eight-minute songs, huge extended intros, with odd time signatures. At a young age the hooks and riffs went straight into my psyche and the songs are bound to capture anyone of any age. It's rare to hear a hardcore metal band and still have the song going round in your head because it is so catchy.

I rediscovered Led Zeppelin when I was 15 years old and I'd moved to England. Songs such as "Kashmir" from Physical Graffiti, and "Whole Lotta Love" from the album Led Zeppelin II, blew me away. Also I started to appreciate the folkier, more experimental songs such "When The Levee Breaks". The guitar riffs of Page were the lifeblood of the songs but Robert Plant's vocals sounded as if he was playing an instrument. Listening to Led Zeppelin, it almost felt as if there was a competitiveness between them that raised the stakes and made the music even better.

Obviously, Led Zeppelin hasn't influenced my music on the surface, as it doesn't sound anything like Led Zeppelin. I think the band has influenced my live work more than my music because I try to rock out on stage, improvise and be energetic. I've seen footage of them performing, but I've never seen them play live.

I suppose a lot of people my age wouldn't be in to Led Zeppelin but most musicians like them. There is nothing dated about their music. There is still that innovative spirit to it. They are not the kind of band you listen to in a romantic situation. Mainly I listen to Led Zeppelin when I want to fall in love with music. Again.

katie-melua-foto.0.0.0x0.450x562.jpeg

The Independent

I think I'd put her in the "Beautiful Women" thread. :)

Whole Lotta Love from Katie Melua

katie-melua-489x525.jpg

My light Spanish picking is far from Jimmy Page's epic guitar solos, but that doesn't mean late at night I don't pretend to be able to play them. I can do the dreaded intro for "Stairway to Heaven"; it's a rite of passage for any guitarist. Occasionally, the eight year-old Katie comes out and I have to jump up and down on the bed playing air guitar to "Black Dog" or "Immigrant Song". It's lucky I have good noise insulation at my West London flat because you have to play them really, really loud.

All my guitar friends, mostly blokes, are fans. We share the passion for Led Zeppelin, but it's not the type of thing I generally share with my girlfriends, although if they bought the Led Zeppelin albums Physical Graffiti and Led Zeppelin IV they would be astounded at how many of the songs they recognise. Teenagers always hear a Led Zeppelin song and say "Who's that? I love that song!"

I wasn't around in their heyday, I'm only 23, but I grew up in Georgia with my uncles who listened to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Metallica and Black Sabbath. It was Led Zeppelin that stood out. As a very young child, I'd sneak into my uncle's room which was covered with Led Zeppelin posters. I'd head bang and play air guitar and jump on the bed to the songs on my favourite album, Led Zeppelin IV.

Musically, they are complicated, with seven to eight-minute songs, huge extended intros, with odd time signatures. At a young age the hooks and riffs went straight into my psyche and the songs are bound to capture anyone of any age. It's rare to hear a hardcore metal band and still have the song going round in your head because it is so catchy.

I rediscovered Led Zeppelin when I was 15 years old and I'd moved to England. Songs such as "Kashmir" from Physical Graffiti, and "Whole Lotta Love" from the album Led Zeppelin II, blew me away. Also I started to appreciate the folkier, more experimental songs such "When The Levee Breaks". The guitar riffs of Page were the lifeblood of the songs but Robert Plant's vocals sounded as if he was playing an instrument. Listening to Led Zeppelin, it almost felt as if there was a competitiveness between them that raised the stakes and made the music even better.

Obviously, Led Zeppelin hasn't influenced my music on the surface, as it doesn't sound anything like Led Zeppelin. I think the band has influenced my live work more than my music because I try to rock out on stage, improvise and be energetic. I've seen footage of them performing, but I've never seen them play live.

I suppose a lot of people my age wouldn't be in to Led Zeppelin but most musicians like them. There is nothing dated about their music. There is still that innovative spirit to it. They are not the kind of band you listen to in a romantic situation. Mainly I listen to Led Zeppelin when I want to fall in love with music. Again.

katie-melua-foto.0.0.0x0.450x562.jpeg

The Independent

I think I'd put her in the "Beautiful Women" thread. :)

Very touching.

Jessica Simpson

Meeting of the mind (and body and soul) :P : Robert Plant and Jessica Simpson

October 30th, 2007 by Eric Greenwood ·

This photograph just absolutely blows my mind. The lead singer of one of the of all time conversing with with ears. I cannot fathom what these two would have to chat about, and Plant's expression is astounding. He looks as though he's fully aware how irretrievably stupid this girl is and the fact that she's actually trying to form complete sentences amuses him to no end. Several have tried the game. The winner goes to a (who I am forced to paraphrase because I can't find the original thread), but it went something like this: JS: "But I wax my hedgerow, so how could there be a bustle in it?"

Gold!

4 responses so far ↓

• Keith // Dec 18, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Um, not that I generally defend any bubble-gum pop star but her tits are real. That I can defend without any guilt…they're nice.

I love Zep. I think Rober Plant is imagining bending her over an amp and giving her the real rock star treatment.
  • // Dec 19, 2007 at 10:32 am

this response is useless without proof.
  • Diana // Feb 3, 2008 at 6:38 pm

That was cruel to say about Jessica. When you say hurtful things.. there are people out there with feelings. Think before you swing axes.

Robert Plant is most likely a very wonderful and kind person. He's probably looking at her and thinking how beautiful she is. Atleast that's what I'd like to think. Be kind. Life is short.
  • velvett // May 16, 2008 at 9:03 pm

I tend to agree with Keith.
    This is Robert Plant after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16989391-16989393-large.jpg

Robert Plant describes to Jessica Simpson the exact technique he uses to achieve that consistently curled coif backstage during the taping for CMT's Crossroads with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss in Lebanon, Tennesse, on October 18, 2007.

jessica-simpson-shirt.jpg

Edited by zeppphead

BACK ON TOPIC - ALEX LIFESON GUITAR WORLD INTERVIEW 2006

I saw Led Zeppelin in Toronto in 1969 after waiting in line for 15 hours. We sat on the floor in front of Jimmy about three people back. I was so impressed. I wanted to look like him, and play like him, and be just like him. If there was any single person I ever wanted to meet, it was him, but I never thought I would have the opportunity.

Well, Geddy met Robert Plant in Morocco a few years ago, and Robert invited us to the Page/Plant show in Toronto. When we went backstage, Jimmy came into the room, and I started shaking. I was that excited. He was so sweet, and so charming, and engaging. It was incredible. I brought a copy of my record, Victor, and I built up the nerve to give it to him. I had written in it that he was such an inspiration, and that his influence was all over the record. I said, 'I hope you don't mind, but this is my solo record and I'd like you to have it.' He stood up and gave me a hug and thanked me. We walked down to the stage with them, and they had set up a couple of chairs for us by the [monitoring mixing] board. Jimmy kept looking over and smiling at me when he would play these great signature parts. He played so well. Just incredible. I was like a kid. I can picture the dressing room, with Robert sitting across from me, and Jimmy sitting to my left asking me questions. I can take myself right back there, and he's a hero! He was everything I hoped he would be. I'll never ever forget that

Edited by MJC455

Mary J is a fan of Led Zeppelin

Music_3-1_jpg_214155t.jpg

Mary J Blige has revealed she's a big fan of Led Zeppelin.

The RnB star is such an aficionado of the English rockers that she has recorded her own versions of Stairway To Heaven and Whole Lotta Love.

"I did Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven and Whole Lotta Love - it's crazy; I am a Led Zeppelin fan," she told MTV.com.

"I'm not going to say I've been to their concerts, but I've listened to their music since I was a child, and it's always moved me, especially Stairway To Heaven, and Whole Lotta Love is just fun."

The two covers are expected to be on the reissue of her Stronger With Each Tear album on March 22.

Mary has recorded Stairway To Heaven with Travis Barker, American Idol judge Randy Jackson and guitarist Steve Vai.

Read more: http://www.belfastte...l#ixzz0hs0eyvcC

Edited by zeppphead

Mary J is a fan of Led Zeppelin

Music_3-1_jpg_214155t.jpg

Mary J Blige has revealed she's a big fan of Led Zeppelin.

The RnB star is such an aficionado of the English rockers that she has recorded her own versions of Stairway To Heaven and Whole Lotta Love.

"I did Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven and Whole Lotta Love - it's crazy; I am a Led Zeppelin fan," she told MTV.com.

"I'm not going to say I've been to their concerts, but I've listened to their music since I was a child, and it's always moved me, especially Stairway To Heaven, and Whole Lotta Love is just fun."

The two covers are expected to be on the reissue of her Stronger With Each Tear album on March 22.

Mary has recorded Stairway To Heaven with Travis Barker, American Idol judge Randy Jackson and guitarist Steve Vai.

Read more: http://www.belfastte...l#ixzz0hs0eyvcC

Now there's a match made in heaven.

Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath/Heaven And Hell in Classic Rock magazine March 2010:

Classic Rock: Finally, can you actually reveal the truth about the long standing rumours that Sabbath and Led Zeppelin jammed together in the studio, and that it was recorded?

Geezer Butler: It did happen, yes. When we did "Sabotage" in early 1975 at Morgan Studios in north-west London. The Zeppelin guys came down, and both bands did get together for a jam. I have no clue if it was recorded though. I suspect it was, but what happend to the tapes... who knows? They might even have been wiped. But in those days everything was recorded, which is why you ended up with things like "The Trogg Tapes". Do we have an equivalent of that? Yes, it was called the "Volume 4" album!

But we were on very good terms socially with Zeppelin, especially with John Bonham. We spent many night drinking with him and putting stuff up our noses. That's probably the thing which amazes me most: with all the things we got up to back then, how am I still alive?

Really? That seems so weird considering she is such a conservative.

So all political conservatives automatically gravitate toward what, Barry Manilow and Anne Murray? Give me a break, man!

Politically conservative does not mean musically conservative.

Keith Richards in Uncut magazine April 2008:

Uncut: So you weren't at the Led Zeppelin reunion...

Keith Richards: They had one? Well, well done Jimmy and Robert. Fuck off. "Stairway To Heaven" don't make it for me, baby. I'd rather have "Honey Bee", by Muddy Waters. And Jimmy will know what I mean.

Keith Richards in the New Musical Express 1969:

"I played their album quite a few times when I first got it, but then the guy's voice started to get on my nerves."

Keith Richards quoted in an 1975 interview reprinted in the book Stone Me The Wit And Wisdom Of Keith Richards:

On Zeppelin's singer Robert Plant and drummer John Bonham

"A couple of clueless Ernie's from the Midlands"

Keith Richards in Uncut magazine April 2008:

Uncut: So you weren't at the Led Zeppelin reunion...

Keith Richards: They had one? Well, well done Jimmy and Robert. Fuck off. "Stairway To Heaven" don't make it for me, baby. I'd rather have "Honey Bee", by Muddy Waters. And Jimmy will know what I mean.

Keith Richards in the New Musical Express 1969:

"I played their album quite a few times when I first got it, but then the guy's voice started to get on my nerves."

Keith Richards quoted in an 1975 interview reprinted in the book Stone Me The Wit And Wisdom Of Keith Richards:

On Zeppelin's singer Robert Plant and drummer John Bonham

"A couple of clueless Ernie's from the Midlands"

If quoted accurately (I have no real reason to believe he wasn't), Keith was a classless shitheel for saying those things. Zep sure does bring out the green-eyed monster in some people. :rolleyes:

Hi gondo,all,

Really? That seems so weird considering she is such a conservative.

What does that have to do with her musical tastes? :huh: BTW,she plays classical piano rather well,.........I got it! She has a crush on Jonesy! :P

Another Led Zeppelin -mystery- solved.Your welcome Steve. :lol:

KB

Hi gondo,all,

What does that have to do with her musical tastes? :huh: BTW,she plays classical piano rather well,.........I got it! She has a crush on Jonesy! :P

Another Led Zeppelin -mystery- solved.Your welcome Steve. :lol:

KB

I suppose conservatives have the right to let their hair down. More power to them.