Robert's early nineties band

zooma

Curious if anyone knows, why did Robert break up the Now and Zen band before Fate of Nations? I think they were just starting to hit their stride and would have enjoyed hearing at least one more album from them before Robert did Unledded.

They were a great band indeed. I don't know officially but my sense is Robert was moving in a different direction musically and I would suspect he was looking for musicians who fit that sound. They did contribute to some of Fate of Nation and of course Charlie and Phil stayed on with Robert to tour in support of the album.

I thought Robert's 1993 band was quite a bit better, really. More of a warm, vibrant sound, whereas the band for "Now & Zen" and "Manic Nirvana" was a bit "wiry" sounding. Not near the depth. Good musicians nonetheless, I agree.

They were both great bands. I tend to agree with you RA that his 93 outfit was very warm. Mind you the venues were smaller. I really wish he had kept Doug Boyle for the tour though

They were both great bands. I tend to agree with you RA that his 93 outfit was very warm. Mind you the venues were smaller. I really wish he had kept Doug Boyle for the tour though

Yeah, Doug along with either of the other two guitarists would have worked. One factor I must mention though...

MICHAEL FUCKIN' LEE. :D

Yeah, Doug along with either of the other two guitarists would have worked. One factor I must mention though...

MICHAEL FUCKIN' LEE. :D

No kidding. My wife still talks about his performance. :D

I saw Lee three times. Twice with Page/Plant, and once with The Cult back in '92. DAMN... :D

He was just crushin' the skins during the Mountain View '98 show!

Yeah, saw him a couple of times with Page and Plant as well. The 93 show being in the Orpheum was like having them play in your living room. You know he had to be good for my wife to take her eyes off Robert :D

Robert even got Phil Collins to put aside his ego and sit behind the drum kit for him. That's an amazing feat in itself. B)

Yeah, and he was damn good as well. I'm a big Ritchie Heywood fan and he certainly was no slouch either

Robert even got Phil Collins to put aside his ego and sit behind the drum kit for him. That's an amazing feat in itself. B)

And Roger Taylor. :D

Weeh, that was really great and I never got tired of listening to that record.

Curious if anyone knows, why did Robert break up the Now and Zen band before Fate of Nations?

In February 1991, Robert and the band decided to take a six month break from activity and reconvene to record new material on September 1st 1991. Come the day, they

found things had changed collectively (musical differences).

In December 1991 Robert signed a solo recording contract with Fontana records of England. That same month, Plant and band recorded four tracks - 'Colours Of A Shade', 'Promised Land', '29 Palms', and 'Network News' in "about 14 days" at Sawmills studio in Cornwall.

Ultimately, producer Chris Hughes recommended guitarist Kevin MacMichael for the forthcoming album, and Kevin MacMichael auditioned during band rehearsals in Devon.

In October '92 Robert bumped into Richard Thompson in his home village of Hampstead and invited him to play on the album…"I've got the perfect track for you". That same

month, Thompson recorded guitar parts on two nearly completed tracks in just one afternoon at RAK Studios in London, one of which is 'Come Into My Life'.

Meanwhile, Robert had called Nigel Kennedy to inqure if he would like to come and do something on one track. Nigel recorded the electric violin part on 'Calling To You' (with Pete Thompson on drums, Plant and Producer Chris Hughes present). Robert's studio recordings culminated as 'Fate Of Nations' with Dunnery, Kennedy, and Thompson.

You may want to check this great video on Nine Lives. Robert and Phil talk a lot about these days.

Robert even got Phil Collins to put aside his ego
:whistling:

Anyway, I really think Phil was great to Robert those days and is still great, generally speaking.

You may want to check this great video on Nine Lives. Robert and Phil talk a lot about these days.

:whistling:

Anyway, I really think Phil was great to Robert those days and is still great, generally speaking.

Robert presented Phil Collins with an International Achievement award at the May 22, 2008 Novello Awards. Phil then attempted to kiss Robert, quipping "We get together for a kiss on the lips once every ten years."

:lol:

Roger Taylor? Did I miss something besides the Freddie tribute show?

Roger drummed for Robert on a show 22. June 1983.

The Band:

Robert Plant: Vocals

Roger Taylor: Drums, Back Vocals

Paul Martinez: Bass

Bob Mayo: Guitar & Synths

J Boodruffer: Keyboards

Robbie Blunt: Guitar

the track listing:

1. Sea Of Love

2. Pledge Pin

3. Other Arms

4. In The Mood

5. Big Log

6. Like I've Never Been Gone

7. (Title Unknown)

8. Burning Down One Side

Speaking of Michael Lee, it's his birthday today! He's 39.

Is he playing with the reunited Cult or what is he doing these days?

To my knowledge, he's not doing anything these days. Rumor has it that he pissed away all his money on drugs and is living with his mother. I sure hope that rumor is wrong, but that's what I've heard.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME ON THIS! :(

Archived