the girl i love

Aleister

I really tried to search before I started this topic, but since it won't search for anything with 4 letter words or less it was pretty much a pointless endeavor.

Anyway, this song rocks! I never picked up the BBC sessions and just when I thought i'd heard every studio recording, the local classic rock station did a all zep weekend and played it.

Even if it was stolen from estes, robert put his spin on it and the riff and solo is amazing.

Seriously is there anything better than '69 plant vocals?

I really tried to search before I started this topic, but since it won't search for anything with 4 letter words or less it was pretty much a pointless endeavor.

Anyway, this song rocks! I never picked up the BBC sessions and just when I thought i'd heard every studio recording, the local classic rock station did a all zep weekend and played it.

Even if it was stolen from estes, robert put his spin on it and the riff and solo is amazing.

Seriously is there anything better than '69 plant vocals?

No :D:D

...Even if it was stolen from estes...

Stolen?

First: Check the BBC Sessions sleeve - Estes got a writers credit for the song so any "stealing" claims are bullshit.

Second: The riff is Page's, not Estes'. He came up with a riff, they jammed a 12 bar blues out of it, & RP sang something over the top of it. Period. On this particular day Plant chose to use the lyrics from Estes' song, hence the credit, but his contribution is lyrical not musical.

I think IIRC that Page's comment about it was that until they considered putting the BBC album out in 1997 he hadn't even realised that Plant was singing someone else's song.

The only part that was taken from the Sleepy John Estes version is the following lyric:

the girl I love, she got [great] long [curly] hair

her [mama] and her [papa] sure don't allow me there

That's it. Estes' 1/5th writing credit is more than adequate.

Perhaps "stolen" was too harsh a word, how about influenced? :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the hardest part of songwriting is coming up with that opening line. I'm sure I don't have to tell you there are quite a few of their songs that use the first lines from old american blues artists. Take a listen to "drop down mama" from sleepy and see what comes to mind?

And you know what? I don't give a shit! Led Zeppelin did their thing and I will forever consider them rock gods.

Perhaps "stolen" was too harsh a word, how about influenced? :rolleyes:

Personally, I think the hardest part of songwriting is coming up with that opening line. I'm sure I don't have to tell you there are quite a few of their songs that use the first lines from old american blues artists. Take a listen to "drop down mama" from sleepy and see what comes to mind?

And you know what? I don't give a shit! Led Zeppelin did their thing and I will forever consider them rock gods.

Influenced makes more sense to say. Music by nature is going to be based on something else with the artist adding their own ideas etc.

A double post is better than saying ,"your dog needs his face washed?"

There is nothing wrong with that dog's face.!

Well you know dogs!

They like to check each other's license tags and it looks like that little pooch let his curiosity bring him up real close.

I loved my old dog, I even washed her face quite frequently so I could kiss her.

The Girl I Love!

I think he's cute!! :D

Thank you! He is a cutie, I adopted him and that's just the color of his hair.. he was fresh from the groomer when that picture was taken. He's got darker hair on his muzzle and tail..

Archived