Final no from Robert Plant - no problem...

hecube

I think the J's should check this chick out...she is SMOKIN!!!

Thanks Medhb! Didn't know her, but have been watching a bunch of Youtube vids with her just now. I agree, really interesting, exceptionally strong voice. There is quite a bit of soul in her singing - which I think might work very well. Of the stuff I saw this one grabbed my attention:

and this acoustic song - sound isn't good, but you can still hear what's going on:

Lonely For a Lifetime

One good thing also is that if they would choose a singer like her, they can certainly do quite a bit of the old stuff, but will be tempted to place a lot of emphasis on new music - which is what I am definitely most interested in.

Hah! I hardly ever watch TV, let alone reality shows, so I wouldn't know all that. But I couldn't care less, I think it's a good idea to look for a singer of this type, musically speaking - and a woman would be great. There are bits in there where this Dana could use a little more discipline, but then, so could Robert back in 1968! :lol: Seriously though, a good young singer would learn fast in the company of Jonesy, Jason and Jimmy. :yesnod:

Hah! I hardly ever watch TV, let alone reality shows, so I wouldn't know all that. But I couldn't care less, I think it's a good idea to look for a singer of this type, musically speaking - and a woman would be great. There are bits in there where this Dana could use a little more discipline, but then, so could Robert back in 1968! :lol: Seriously though, a good young singer would learn fast in the company of Jonesy, Jason and Jimmy. :yesnod:

I agree Otto! I'm really blown away by her! And I just checked out her myspace page...Led Zeppelin is in her short list of influences :)

Sam!!! You gotta find a way to have the J's check out her vids. She certainly has the stage presence as well :D

Thank you for the excerpt. It looks like Wall quotes from a lot of publicly available published interviews. What was his perspective on preparations for the O2 show? Did he interview the band or did he use second-hand quotes? Just curious.

Mick doesn't explain what his sources are for the O2 preparations, he just writes it as 'fact'.

Basically he says that Robert agreed to the reunion but laid down a series of ground rules:

"All three members had an equal say in the running order of the show, but as always some members were more equal than others. Ultimately it all came down to what Robert wanted. He laid down several conditions. Specifically, that the music wasn't too 'heavy metal', that meant no Immigrant Song, which Page and Jones could live with, and no Achilles Last Stand, which the others were put out by, especially Jimmy as he still considered it one of their finest moments. As for Stairway To Heaven...he would be prepared to sing that, he said, but not as any sort of finale. Instead, it would be performed in the middle of the set and with no great fanfare. Jimmy and John Paul had no choice but to agree. On a general level, the other condition Plant laid down was that there be no extended jams, as of days of old...improvisation was no longer in vogue; the numbers would be as close as the band could get them to how they sounded on the album. Again, neither Page nor Jones were happy with that but there was little they could do about it. It was take it or leave it"

Mick doesn't explain what his sources are for the O2 preparations, he just writes it as 'fact'.

Basically he says that Robert agreed to the reunion but laid down a series of ground rules:

"All three members had an equal say in the running order of the show, but as always some members were more equal than others. Ultimately it all came down to what Robert wanted. He laid down several conditions. Specifically, that the music wasn't too 'heavy metal', that meant no Immigrant Song, which Page and Jones could live with, and no Achilles Last Stand, which the others were put out by, especially Jimmy as he still considered it one of their finest moments. As for Stairway To Heaven...he would be prepared to sing that, he said, but not as any sort of finale. Instead, it would be performed in the middle of the set and with no great fanfare. Jimmy and John Paul had no choice but to agree. On a general level, the other condition Plant laid down was that there be no extended jams, as of days of old...improvisation was no longer in vogue; the numbers would be as close as the band could get them to how they sounded on the album. Again, neither Page nor Jones were happy with that but there was little they could do about it. It was take it or leave it"

That sounds fair enough. I wonder about how accurate this account is though.

The biggest controversy over planning the O2 which we all know hit the press was the downtuning thing. It was heavily reported that Jimmy didn't like having to do this, which sounds credible to me. You've played the songs in a given key for 40 years and suddenly you have to drop some by 2 semitones?

"All three members had an equal say in the running order of the show, but as always some members were more equal than others. Ultimately it all came down to what Robert wanted. He laid down several conditions. Specifically, that the music wasn't too 'heavy metal', that meant no Immigrant Song, which Page and Jones could live with, and no Achilles Last Stand, which the others were put out by, especially Jimmy as he still considered it one of their finest moments. On a general level, the other condition Plant laid down was that there be no extended jams, as of days of old...improvisation was no longer in vogue; the numbers would be as close as the band could get them to how they sounded on the album. Again, neither Page nor Jones were happy with that but there was little they could do about it. It was take it or leave it"

Both Immigrant Song & Achillies Last Stand are less heavy metal and have much less room for improvisation than both Dazed & Confused and Whole Lotta Love, which they did play.

This makes no sense.

Archived