Jeff Beck claims creation of Led Zep

Led ZOSO

In the January 18th Sunday Herald Sun newpaper in Melbourne, Australia, Jeff Beck claims that he influenced Jimmy Page into creating Led Zeppelin.

In an interview with Jeff Beck amid his upcoming tour of Australia after 32 years the article says:

Beck back at last

At one point, Beck almost formed a band with Keith Moon when the infamous sticksman was disillusioned with the Who - but it was not to be. Beck describes it as "the biggest disappointment of the '60's". But there is one memento of the union: the powerhouse Beck's Bolero. The session served as blueprint for the '70's biggest rock act, Led Zeppelin.

"That was the nucleus of what I hoped would be my new band: Jimmy Page on rhythm guitar, John Paul Jones on bass and Keith Moon on drums," he says.

"Have a look at Led Zep and you can see how Jimmy was affected by it.

"Keith said we were going to go over like a lead balloon, which is the qute that gave Led Zeppelin their name."

Maybe he did maybe he didn't but Led Zeppelin were the Jimmy,John,John Paul and Robert, if Beck had been a led Zeppelin it would of gone in a totally different direction..Led Zeppelin are special for the four who were in it.

That clip was brilliant - thank you so much for the link. I enjoyed hearing Jeff talk about the genesis of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" - sounds like Beck maybe should have gotten a co-writing credit for that one.

Ooh, and the murky video/kinescope/sumpin' of The Yardbirds playing "Happening Ten Years Time Ago"... too much, man, too much.

jeffnjimmy.jpg

You're welcome FireOpal. He put on a great show last night BTW.

This story is true. He's not claiming anything, he's stating the facts. Don't bash him if you don't know your stuff.

It's the claim made by the writer of the article (apparently), as stated in the thread title, that ISN'T true. Beck never said he was the founder of Zeppelin, because he obviously wasn't. Equally obviously, he did influence Jimmy, and vice versa.

I'd just say don't bash him, period. :D

You're welcome FireOpal. He put on a great show last night BTW.

You went?! Lucky, lucky Fortuna. Feel free to share your impressions, if you feel it's apropos. Isn't Tal Wilkenfeld amazing? Jeff is so gracious about the musicians in his band too, gotta love 'im.

This story is true. He's not claiming anything, he's stating the facts. Don't bash him if you don't know your stuff.

The quote from Jeff posted here, for all we know, is factually correct. On the other hand he has said many things about Led Zeppelin over the years, and much of that is one-sided, at best - and not to be taken too seriously either.

The quote from Jeff posted here, for all we know, is factually correct. On the other hand he has said many things about Led Zeppelin over the years, and much of that is one-sided, at best - and not to be taken too seriously either.

I think he's still kicking himself a bit for not sticking with Jimmy for a few years at least, but these err, professional disagreements were always kind of funny to me. Beck's Bolero - "No, I wrote it," Jimmy says!! "And you should have TOLD me you were doing 'you shook me!!"

"You KNEW it was my idea!!" says Beck.

"No, it was MY idea!" says Page. "And why didn't you just ASK me to be in your band."

"You didn't return my calls!!!"

"Mom, can you make us more sandwiches?"

I think he's still kicking himself a bit for not sticking with Jimmy for a few years at least, but these err, professional disagreements were always kind of funny to me. Beck's Bolero - "No, I wrote it," Jimmy says!! "And you should have TOLD me you were doing 'you shook me!!"

"You KNEW it was my idea!!" says Beck.

"No, it was MY idea!" says Page. "And why didn't you just ASK me to be in your band."

"You didn't return my calls!!!"

"Mom, can you make us more sandwiches?"

I like that. Pretty funny. A bit of squabbling friends over stuff that's just trivial now.

I like that. Pretty funny. A bit of squabbling friends over stuff that's just trivial now.

I like the image that Page's mom presented ... of Jimmy and Jeff in the Page family front room when they were teenagers, working out the licks on Les Paul and Mary Ford records or whatever, she in the kitchen making them sandwiches.

It's pretty sweet that Jeff wants Jimmy to give his Rock and Roll hall of fame induction speech. I imagine they'll talk about that room and those sandwiches, and those Les Paul records.

How's it going SuperDave? And how's the forum been doing without me these last few months?

You went?! Lucky, lucky Fortuna. Feel free to share your impressions, if you feel it's apropos. Isn't Tal Wilkenfeld amazing? Jeff is so gracious about the musicians in his band too, gotta love 'im.

Hi again FireOpal,

Ok, here's my thoughts on the concert, just briefly.

I went to the concert with my brother and my fourteen year old son who is learning to play guitar. Originally the concert was to be held on Friday 23 but was changed to Thursday 22 at the Perth Concert Hall which is a much smaller venue, but that suited us fine as we had a good view.

Jeff Beck was amazing, truly a brilliant guitarist and we really enjoyed watching him play. Tal Wilkenfeld and Vinnie Colaiuta (who I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of before :bagoverhead: were also astonishingly good.

Because the whole set was instrumental it did feel a bit same..ish at times though (if that makes sense?). A little disappointing for me was Jeff not uttering a word for the whole 90 minutes he played. He introduced the band at the end and that was the only time he spoke. Tal gave him a hug at the end and he came back for two encores.

It was real buzz for my son to see such a great guitarist.

Apparently Hank Marvin was there too. We spoke with some people afterwards who had just had their photo taken with him.

All in all we had a great night and were very glad we went.

Hi again FireOpal,

Ok, here's my thoughts on the concert, just briefly.

I went to the concert with my brother and my fourteen year old son who is learning to play guitar. Originally the concert was to be held on Friday 23 but was changed to Thursday 22 at the Perth Concert Hall which is a much smaller venue, but that suited us fine as we had a good view.

Jeff Beck was amazing, truly a brilliant guitarist and we really enjoyed watching him play. Tal Wilkenfeld and Vinnie Colaiuta (who I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of before :bagoverhead: were also astonishingly good.

Because the whole set was instrumental it did feel a bit same..ish at times though (if that makes sense?). A little disappointing for me was Jeff not uttering a word for the whole 90 minutes he played. He introduced the band at the end and that was the only time he spoke. Tal gave him a hug at the end and he came back for two encores.

It was real buzz for my son to see such a great guitarist.

Apparently Hank Marvin was there too. We spoke with some people afterwards who had just had their photo taken with him.

All in all we had a great night and were very glad we went.

What was his set list like? Did he span his career or focus more on a particular period? When I saw him he didn't say too much either but that was okay.

What was his set list like? Did he span his career or focus more on a particular period? When I saw him he didn't say too much either but that was okay.

Hello ninelives,

Sorry I don't know the exact setlist. I wasn't overly familiar with Jeff Beck's work so we bought Live at Ronnie Scott's to listen to before the concert. Here is some of what was played - A Day in the Life, Beck's Bolero, Cause We Ended as Lovers, You Never Know, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Brush With the Blues.

Perhaps not saying much is his way but I think some audience interaction is nice, even if it's just introducing the song.

Hello ninelives,

Sorry I don't know the exact setlist. I wasn't overly familiar with Jeff Beck's work so we bought Live at Ronnie Scott's to listen to before the concert. Here is some of what was played - A Day in the Life, Beck's Bolero, Cause We Ended as Lovers, You Never Know, Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Brush With the Blues.

Perhaps not saying much is his way but I think some audience interaction is nice, even if it's just introducing the song.

There's a great sprawling interview with Jimmy back in 1977 that can be found on the net, and listen to the entire audio of it, in which Page talks quite a lot about Beck. One thing he says is that Beck doesen't have a lot of respect for his auidences, at least not in the way Page thinks "respect for an audience" should be. Jeff is just that way and always has been, apparently, kind of standoffish towards the people who paid to see him play. That was the only niggling thing Jimmy said about his old friend, and the rest of what he talks about r.e. Beck is very affectionate, as though he missed him a great deal and wished he were there in the room. But, then, it was 1977 and Jimmy was quite wasted.

Hello ninelives,

Thanks Fortuna - some great ones there!

I'm not sure if it's the case with Beck but I know the Grateful Dead rarely, if ever, addressed the audience from the stage other than the occasional "thanks" or offhand remark. I also don't think this was ever construed as rudeness on their part, just that they were there to let the music do the talking. I'm fine with stage banter just so long as it's not the same ol' stuff night after night and it's truly an effort on the part of the performer to engage their audience. I think we've all seen the kind of artists that will holler out "Hello, Cleveland!" even if that's not the town they're in.

There's a great sprawling interview with Jimmy back in 1977 that can be found on the net, and listen to the entire audio of it, in which Page talks quite a lot about Beck. One thing he says is that Beck doesen't have a lot of respect for his auidences, at least not in the way Page thinks "respect for an audience" should be. Jeff is just that way and always has been, apparently, kind of standoffish towards the people who paid to see him play. That was the only niggling thing Jimmy said about his old friend, and the rest of what he talks about r.e. Beck is very affectionate, as though he missed him a great deal and wished he were there in the room. But, then, it was 1977 and Jimmy was quite wasted.

You wouldn';t have a link to that interview, would you??

Thanks!!!!!!!!! :)

Sharon

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not entirely sure why, but Jeff Beck just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I don't find some of his work that bad - I enjoy what he did with The Yarbirds, specifically, and parts of his solo work, generally. I think it has to do with the pictures I've seen of him - in 90% of which he looks rather unhappy - as well as similar reports of his non-interactive qualities.

I'm not entirely sure why, but Jeff Beck just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I don't find some of his work that bad - I enjoy what he did with The Yarbirds, specifically, and parts of his solo work, generally. I think it has to do with the pictures I've seen of him - in 90% of which he looks rather unhappy - as well as similar reports of his non-interactive qualities.

Hmm - don't know what to say except I've seen him live and he was amazing - didn't seem unhappy at all.

Hmm - don't know what to say except I've seen him live and he was amazing - didn't seem unhappy at all.

Just stating what I've been told by friends and family, and from what I've been able to see. I've not had the chance to see him live, although I will if I ever do.

Just stating what I've been told by friends and family, and from what I've been able to see. I've not had the chance to see him live, although I will if I ever do.

I would definitely urge you to check him out live :D Well worth it IMHO.

So can we now blame Jeff for Zep's non-reformation because, afterall, he started it. Without him getting this thing going Robert would've never had the chance to be elusive of late.

It's Jeff's fault, it's now revealed.

haha exactly... beck gets on my f--king nerves with this shit..he so jealous of page its rediculous.. great guitarist but a jealous asshole as a person.. maybe woulda made it if he hadnt picked such an annoying singer for the jeff beck group......(rod stewart).. but the point is its really old and has been on this board for some time now about becks bolero and how beck always changes his stance on its creation............... its garbage.......page never gets the respect he deserves from his peers that he demolished during the 70's

haha exactly... beck gets on my f--king nerves with this shit..he so jealous of page its rediculous.. great guitarist but a jealous asshole as a person.. maybe woulda made it if he hadnt picked such an annoying singer for the jeff beck group......(rod stewart).. but the point is its really old and has been on this board for some time now about becks bolero and how beck always changes his stance on its creation............... its garbage.......page never gets the respect he deserves from his peers that he demolished during the 70's

I don't get the impression Jeff is jealous of Jimmy at all. I suspect he has great respect for him as he asked him to give his induction speech next month at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm sure there was a bit of rivalry amongst them all but not in an aggressive way. Not to mention that was a long time ago and I'm sure if there was anything, it's long buried.

Archived