Aging Disgracefully

mos6507

When people don't challenge crap like that and say "well, it's just meant to be funny" (and no it isn't, these writers genuinely believe that only youth has value), the more it becomes regarded as the accepted attitude and as expressing opinions that the majority agree with. And the more often people see articles like this, the more they absorb the values the articles are pushing.

To which I say :mad:

When people don't challenge crap like that and say "well, it's just meant to be funny" (and no it isn't, these writers genuinely believe that only youth has value), the more it becomes regarded as the accepted attitude and as expressing opinions that the majority agree with. And the more often people see articles like this, the more they absorb the values the articles are pushing.

To which I say :mad:

You must spend a lot of time being angry since a large part of what is on tv, in movies and in magazines is poking fun at someone's expense. From sitcoms to Mr. Blackwell and Saturday Night Live to morning drive radio jocks it happens daily and people don't seem to have a problem with it until it hits a nerve or gets personal. It matters not if the issue is age, race or sex, the world is full of it and has been since the days of men in blackface doing negro impersonations at minstrel shows. Some of it is based in hate and ignorance but some is light hearted and meant to make us laugh and remember the world doesn't need to be serious all the time. Besides most here aren't upset because this can be construed as ageism but because someone dared to poke fun at Jimmy.

I think Jimmy looks great. Quite frankly, lines and gray hair doesn't bother me in the least. It just shows that they got to actually live their lives to the fullest. I don't like to admit they are aging, but they are and there is nothing we can do to avoid that. The lines are just proof that they are living and just show character. Plus they show how far they've made it, look at how many people didn't get to live long enough to get those lines.

I agree with all of you. But how the heck did Robert Smith get on that list? What is he, 40? :unsure:

50. I don't agree this list, it's always been Robert Smith's gothic style and it still suits him (him being the Robert which I liked in the 80's).

Tina Turner - wuteva - she'll always be my hot momma. Now this IS what I want to be like someday if and when I am 71.

Steven Tyler - Freddy Krueger is cuter

Keith Richards - Boogey man.

Debbie Harris - her doctor's done a good job on her, better than Fergie's.

Gene Simmons - well there's not much to destroy about his face in the first place.

Jimmy Page - uh oh here we go - he is aging naturally, he's even got less wrinkles than my original Robert lol (Robert Plant) - although he reminds me of Jackie Chan sometimes. He is not aging disgracefully.

Tom Jones, I'm less scared of him now than in the 70's when I was a kid having nightmares after watching him on TV.

Ironically, most of these musicians are the most talented of their era and now. You know which ones they are. Yes, Tom Jones including.

Jimmy Page - uh oh here we go - he is aging naturally, he's even got less wrinkles than my original Robert lol (Robert Plant) - although he reminds me of Jackie Chan sometimes.

Sorry but I can't help...

5chan.jpg

4chan.jpg

You must spend a lot of time being angry since a large part of what is on tv, in movies and in magazines is poking fun at someone's expense. From sitcoms to Mr. Blackwell and Saturday Night Live to morning drive radio jocks it happens daily and people don't seem to have a problem with it until it hits a nerve or gets personal. It matters not if the issue is age, race or sex, the world is full of it and has been since the days of men in blackface doing negro impersonations at minstrel shows. Some of it is based in hate and ignorance but some is light hearted and meant to make us laugh and remember the world doesn't need to be serious all the time. Besides most here aren't upset because this can be construed as ageism but because someone dared to poke fun at Jimmy.

It isn't the poking fun of Jimmy or any of them that bothered me - people get made fun of all the time. It's my beef with society having issues with the fact that people aren't supposed to get past the age of 25, or at least not look like they have and this article, even if it was meant as humor, just reinforces it IMO. I think it takes the focus off what's important with people - WHO they are, rather than what they appear to be on the surface meaning how they look.

It isn't the poking fun of Jimmy or any of them that bothered me - people get made fun of all the time. It's my beef with society having issues with the fact that people aren't supposed to get past the age of 25, or at least not look like they have and this article, even if it was meant as humor, just reinforces it IMO. I think it takes the focus off what's important with people - WHO they are, rather than what they appear to be on the surface meaning how they look.

And the word "disgraceful" is an odd choice. Now, I'm not making this statement, but an argument could be made that repeatedly getting plastic surgery to make a 65 year old look 25 *cough* Pricilla Presley*cough* might be considered "disgraceful." But I think that growing old naturally, without surgery, botox, hair dye, etc, is, by definition, graceful! Did the writer mean aging "uglyly" (yes, I made that up for argument's sake)?

And the word "disgraceful" is an odd choice. Now, I'm not making this statement, but an argument could be made that repeatedly getting plastic surgery to make a 65 year old look 25 *cough* Pricilla Presley*cough* might be considered "disgraceful." But I think that growing old naturally, without surgery, botox, hair dye, etc, is, by definition, graceful! Did the writer mean aging "uglyly" (yes, I made that up for argument's sake)?

I think the writer expects all post-30 year-olds be to be like Norma Desmond from Sunset Blvd - therefore they are a positive disgrace (which, I agree, is an odd choice of word) to still be active in their late 50's/early 60's.

When did society think it was exceptable to ridicule those who go against the grain? And, again, to age naturally, is to be graceful. Yet because they are famous and not living in obscurity, they are deemed disgraceful. It's all rather sad, really.

It's my beef with society having issues with the fact that people aren't supposed to get past the age of 25

The irony is people like Keith spent a large part of his youth railing at the the "older" establishment. If society has stigmatized getting older it is due in no small part to guys like Keith glorifying youth via rock and roll music. Shouldn't we being getting the noose ready for Townshend, when you write lyics like "hope I die before I get old" it's breeding contempt for "old folks". :)

I'd be crapped out if the author was suggesting to have my grandparents whisked off to an internment camp but poking fun of people who made a career out of pointing the finger at old folks yet have the the guts to walk around in revealing leather pants at 65 is fair game in my book. Besides I'm pretty Keith looks like a pirate because he wants people to jeer.

Where was everyone when the media made a big deal over Jessica Simpson being fat when she's likely not a more than a size 6? That's a heck of a lot more damaging than poking fun at the classic rock crowd walking around in guyliner.

I think the writer expects all post-30 year-olds be to be like Norma Desmond from Sunset Blvd - therefore they are a positive disgrace (which, I agree, is an odd choice of word) to still be active in their late 50's/early 60's.

When did society think it was exceptable to ridicule those who go against the grain? And, again, to age naturally, is to be graceful. Yet because they are famous and not living in obscurity, they are deemed disgraceful. It's all rather sad, really.

:yesnod: :yesnod:

It is really sad. Isn't the most important thing that they're healthy, happy and still creating. A few lines on Jimmy's face did NOT slow him down one iota at the 02 show. Not to mention all that plastic surgery is expensive and incredibly dangerous. I dare say a few lines or grey hairs haven't been proven a medical condition we should be concerned with <_<

It's when they (anyone) do all those crazy things on themselves in a desperate bid to camouflage their years/imperfections/non-talent that takes their self-dignity in the process,

is when it's disgraceful. Rod Stewart is aging but is doing it well. If you ask me Do I think he's till sexy but not sleazy.

Did they forget to put Tommy Lee in this list (douche bag).

Madonna - 50 years and her main talent still spreading her legs in public, and pouting that felatio pout of hers. Disgusting. (Excuse my language folks).

:yesnod: :yesnod:

It is really sad. Isn't the most important thing that they're healthy, happy and still creating. A few lines on Jimmy's face did NOT slow him down one iota at the 02 show. Not to mention all that plastic surgery is expensive and incredibly dangerous. I dare say a few lines or grey hairs haven't been proven a medical condition we should be concerned with <_<

Exactly. Jimmy's looked the healthiest and happiest, right now, than he has for many years. Why anyone would see that as disgraceful, I don't know. If I can look as half as good as some of the people at their age on that list, then I know I'm on to a winner.

It's when they (anyone) do all those crazy things on themselves in a desperate bid to camouflage their years/imperfections/non-talent that takes their self-dignity in the process,

is when it's disgraceful. Rod Stewart is aging but is doing it well. If you ask me Do I think he's till sexy but not sleazy.

Did they forget to put Tommy Lee in this list (douche bag).

Madonna - 50 years and her main talent still spreading her legs in public, and pouting that felatio pout of hers. Disgusting. (Excuse my language folks).

Ha! Precisely. Did they forget about Madonna - biceps et all - muttering obscenities to her audience? She may have courted controversy years ago, successfully - because she could. But doing so now is just embarrassing, and to think what her kids must think of her. I suppose she is the very epitome of elegance, then...

Ha! Precisely. Did they forget about Madonna - biceps et all - muttering obscenities to her audience? She may have courted controversy years ago, successfully - because she could. But doing so now is just embarrassing, and to think what her kids must think of her. I suppose she is the very epitome of elegance, then...

Are her shows still like that now because I saw her maybe 3-4 years ago and she displayed absolutely nothing overtly sexual nor was she dressed that provocatively.

Are her shows still like that now because I saw her maybe 3-4 years ago and she displayed absolutely nothing overtly sexual nor was she dressed that provocatively.

I'm sure I read a somewhere, maybe in some paper or something, that she swore quite a bit and was a bit full on. I'll see if I can remember where I got it from, though don't quote me on it.

The irony is people like Keith spent a large part of his youth railing at the the "older" establishment. If society has stigmatized getting older it is due in no small part to guys like Keith glorifying youth via rock and roll music. Shouldn't we being getting the noose ready for Townshend, when you write lyics like "hope I die before I get old" it's breeding contempt for "old folks". :)

What you're talking about is their attitude in the culture of forty years ago. Yes, there was youthful rebellion then (and ought to be more of it now IMO :D ), but it wasn't rebellion against chronological age, it was rebellion against the conventional, restrictive morality and culture that the older postwar generation represented. What's happening now is just a totally superficial mocking of age because it doesn't live up to a certain standard of beauty, as defined by TV moguls, etc.

I don't think Keith dresses the way he does because he's inviting scorn--I think it's because he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks! B)

What you're talking about is their attitude in the culture of forty years ago. Yes, there was youthful rebellion then (and ought to be more of it now IMO :D ), but it wasn't rebellion against chronological age, it was rebellion against the conventional, restrictive morality and culture that the older postwar generation represented. What's happening now is just a totally superficial mocking of age because it doesn't live up to a certain standard of beauty, as defined by TV moguls, etc.

I don't think Keith dresses the way he does because he's inviting scorn--I think it's because he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks! B)

Yeah I know what they meant, I think. However I also think it was that very attitude that makes them easy targets now. It's pretty easy to make fun of the aging rock star with millions in the bank who continues to run around anti-establishment sneer as they hop into a rented car and head from their luxury hotel to a private jet. No matter how "street" Keith tries to act he's pretty much become the establishment he once railed against. That's what I think these society page hack scribes are trying to get at when the throw that type of dart his way. The author of that particular article wasn't as funny as he could have been and he did take some cheap shots, he wasn't very kind to Nancy Wilson, but I truly think he thought he was being humorous. But yeah that's where this type of thing gets "dangerous", in fact that's how many bigots approach their well crafted barbs. It's often thinly veiled insults in the name of humor.

Still I think celeb's are the demographic where some of that has to be allowed, being in the spotlight invites it and you can't have it both ways because they are often caught behaving badly. For every somewhat innocent celeb victim there are many who deserve the chides. For all but a few here it's only an issue because Jimmy was mentioned, if it was Britney Spears taking the hits I doubt it would have gotten a second look. Also we should be honest, younger celeb's like Britney, Paris and countless other male stars are written about in this manor, it's not limited to those over 50. This types of trash media is limited to celeb's, young and old, skinny and fat, gay and straight etc. No one cares to follow me, you or John Q. Public around to see if we have beads in our hair or are sporting leather pants, with or without panties, as we hop out of our daily driver and head to the store for milk and bread. Though they probably should because I am often drunk when I do.

Archived