The firm & Coverdale Page

zosoman11

"Coverdale/Page Live In Your Living Room"

by The Sorcerer's Apprentice

MTV Week In Rock (USA)

6 Feb 1993 2min. Color Sound

"David Coverdale has now joined forces with Jimmy Page and they've made an album together", reports Kurt Loder. "I'm curious about how open-minded people are gonna be about this...," David Coverdale remarks during an interview segment. "I didn't want to go for notes only dogs can hear", Coverdale continues, "with him (Page), I had no choice".

Video clips from a 1988 MTV Robert Plant interview, 'The Song Remains The Same', and the promos 'Wasting My Time', 'Here I Go Again', and 'Still Of The Night' are interspersed.

During this program's Weekly Rewind feature, a clip of the 'Pride And Joy' promo is shown.

Much Music Fax (Canada)

24 Feb 1993 5:30sec. Color Sound

Hosts Monika Deiol and Lance Chilton spotlight the Coverdale/Page collaboration. Reporter Jana Lynne White conducts a taped interview of the duo at the Bel-Aire Hotel in Los Angeles. "We didn't plan to make a Led-Snake record, or whatever...", declares David Coverdale. Coverdale dominates the conversation, with Page exclaiming only that he has spent ten years developing his style in Led Zeppelin and "...that's all there is to it". "That's something I don't want to change. That's it". Video promos of 'Over The Hills And Far Away' and Fool For Your Loving' are interspersed.

Much Music Fax (Canada)

25 Feb 1993 2min. Color Sound

Hosts Monika Deiol and Lance Chilton spotlight the Coverdale/Page collaboration once more. Reporter Jana Lynne White's taped interview of the David Coverdale and Jimmy Page at the Bel-Aire Hotel in Los Angeles continues. "I personally won't be drawn into any kind of verbal Wimbledon, or verbal tennis match...or whatever, you know?," states

Coverdale flatly. "I have the greatest respect for Robert (Plant)". "Jim is a sonic architect, in terms of his structure", states Coverdale. "I think both of us feel this has to be taken live". Video promos of 'Now You're Gone', 'Still Of The Night', and 'Nirvana' interspersed.

The New Music (Canada)

Feb 1993 12min. Color Sound

This is a continuation of the interview broadcast February 24th on Much Music. Some interview comments are rebroadcast, others concern different topics. "The plan is that we want to take this music to it's live stage, and it should be an interesting ticket", remarks Coverdale. The subject of The Yardbirds is brought up, and a candid Page says, "I was a fan of The Yardbirds when I was doing studio work, and jumped at the opportunity to join them. That's how much I liked them". A full-color clip of Page with The Yardbirds performing 'Heartful Of Soul' is shown. Other clips interspersed throughout include 'Pride And Joy', 'Still Of The Night', 'Dazed and Confused' from the Staines Supershow 1969, and 'Traveling Riverside Blues'.

On similarities between the two singers, a very frank Robert Plant states, "Yeah, well, you know the thing is that David is the only one who's pretending that it's not happening", in an interview clip from 1988.

MTV Europe Headbangers Ball

14 Mar 1993 10min. Color Sound

On the eve of the Coverdale/Page album release, this feature consisting of interview segments culled from the Electronic Press Kit and dubbed to clips of the 'Pride and Joy' promo video was broadcast to promote the project. "I did have bits and pieces tucked away from the past...but most of it was coming out fresh", declares Page. Coverdale

adds, "Absolutely no frustrating times".

MCM ZZ Rock (Paris, France)

21 Apr 1993 10min. B & W Sound

This program begins with an informal David Coverdale and Jimmy Page promotional intro to ZZ Rock. Coverdale and Page are in this taped interviewed sitting beside one another on a hotel room sofa. French subtext is provided for all the comments. Coverdale begins the interview by alluding to a mutual friend who suggested the two get together. Page takes up the story-line, saying "After we met up we got along really famously..." "We gave it two weeks to see just how we'd get on in a writing capacity..." elaborates Page. "Personally, I thought I'd lost the passion", remarks Coverdale. "I feel I'm singing better than I've ever done, with this project".

The discussion turns to the topic of venues to be played in on a tour. It is apparent that David prefers the larger arenas, while Page seems content to simply get gigs. "As far as venues go, it's supply and demand," says Page. "The initial response has been screaming for us to take this into concert halls or arenas or whatever", Coverdale asserts.

MTV Europe MTV's Most Wanted

23 Apr 1993 14min. Color Sound

Jimmy Page and David Coverdale as special guests on this live telecast . A montage of clips from their respective careers is shown, including, for Page, 'Dazed And Confused' from the 1969 Supershow in Staines, 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Black Dog' from 'The Song Remains The Same', 'Radioactive' with The Firm, and 'Wasting My Time' as a solo

artist. Coverdale's clips include 'Here I Go Again', 'Still Of The Night', and 'Fool For Your Loving'. Coverdale and Page have a laugh with the host regarding this retrospective. Indeed, Page appears much more laid back than he did during the North American programs promoting the Coverdale/Page release.

Page compliments Coverdale by saying this is "the best partnership in the last twelve years of what I've been doing". The 'Pride And Joy' video is aired in it's entirety, with the interview continuing. Having discussed how the pairing came about, the conversation turns to the preparations for touring. "Well, we just held a couple of auditions for the rhythm section", states Page. When asked of possible dates, Coverdale remarks, "This year - without a doubt".

Guitars and their players are discussed. "It's incredible just thinking of what's come out of six strings", Page says. "Guitars fascinate me". Speaking of his own new self-tuning guitar, Page enthuses, "It'll just change tunings within the space of a drum fill...two hundred and ten tunings". "Can we buy one"? inquires the host. "For about five grand!" Coverdale quips.

The host remarks the program is moving to a new studio, and would they return to play. "Unplugged or Plugged?" laughs Coverdale. "Yes, why not!" affirms Page.

Ch. M 6 ZZ Rock (France)

9 May 1993 5min. B&W Sound

A clip of 'Pride And Joy' is shown. Jimmy Page and David Coverdale are seated in separate chairs with a large hotel room window behind them. This short interview was likely taped the same day as the one aired on ZZ Rock April 21st 1993, and is also subtitled in French. When asked of speculation of the paring, Coverdale states, "We

refused to confirm or deny - really just worked". Later, Page confides, "David's been a really good friend, a really trusted ally".

MTV Italy

May 1993 2:30sec Color Sound

A news feature on Coverdale/Page, under the heading of "Led Snake". Clips of 'Over The Hills And Far Away,' 'Still Of The Night,' and 'Pride And Joy' are shown. "Number One, there's never been a problem between Jimmy Page and David Coverdale", states Coverdale in a brief interview segment.

Much Music West Backtrax (Canada)

5 Jun 1993 9min. Color Sound

This is billed as a Jimmy Page profile, from his days as a studio musician to his current pairing with David Coverdale. Additional segments of Jana Lynne White's previously aired interview of Coverdale and Page at the Bel-Aire Hotel in Los Angeles comprise the bulk of this feature. Coverdale deftly handles the most pointed questions. Clips of 'Heartful Of Soul', 'Over The Hills And Far Away', 'Wasting My Time', and 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' are interspersed.

ABC In Concert (USA)

1993 6min. Color Sound

A clip of 'Pride And Joy' heralds the Coverdale/Page feature in the opening credits. Host Richard Belzer, who later spoke at Page's induction ceremony into the Hollywood Rock Rock, introduces the segment. The Coverdale/Page Electronic Press Kit is the sole source for all of the interview clips which are interspersed throughout a showing of the Electronic Press Kit 'Pride And Joy' video.

Ch. 5 News at 10 - Hollywood Report (Los Angeles, CA)

7 Dec 1993 20sec. Color Sound

Clips of footage from Page's induction into the Hollywood Rock Walk. Reports that musicians Eddie Van Halen, Mick Fleetwood, and Peter Frampton were among the attendees. Concludes with the reporter mentioning that Page is "currently rehearsing for an overseas tour with his new band Coverdale/Page".

E! Entertainment Television (USA Cable Network)

Dec 1993 1:40sec. Color Sound

News segment with host Bernice Ferrare stating that "on Tuesday Page was inducted into the Hollywood Rock Walk for his contributions to music". "Well, I was a studio musician - that was pretty good - though I did have this idea for a group that could be," says Page. "Fortunately, it happened to make it," a humble Page concludes in a short interview clip.

Ferrare reports that Mick Fleetwood, Peter Frampton, Eddie Van Halen, and Dweezil Zappa were on-hand for the event. Brief interview clips of each (with the exception of Fleetwood) follow. Eddie Van Halen exclaims, "I don't think there's anyone on the planet that somehow hasn't been touched or perhaps inspired by the man's music!". He adds,

"This guy is alive, still walking, and he's still got the fire".

Some very strange comments on this thread regarding Extreme. NEVER, ever has Bettencort been more popular than Page (unless you're living in your own world) and yeah he can play - like a typewriter. There are tens of thousands (millions?) of guitarists who sound like Bettencort; and I wonder where he got the hammer ons from? The rumor that Page didn't want these guys opening for them because of intimidation is just...absurd beyond belief, and to compare this guy to an innovative musician like Page is just plain dumb. Page is one of the guys responsible for shifting popular music; Bettencort couldn't shift the dirt under his shoes. The Coverdale/Page album was fantastic; these guys sounded hungry. I love the fact that Jimmy successfully recorded these multiple guitar tracks using a different guitar/amp setup on each song without it sounding like a mess. It really gives the songs lots of color, and you can never get sick of it. Real craftsmanship. I just hope the tracks that were left off finally come out at some point! Definitely Pages best work after Zep along w/ Death Wish 2 and XYZ.

• 2 weeks later...
1992_12_23thru1993_01_05RawUK.jpg

Raw Magazine (UK) Dec 23, 1992-Jan 5, 1993

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Note: Michael Lee was most definitely in Robert Plant's touring band, not theirs!

Steven--

Is this accurate (sorry to show my ignorance here! :) ), that Ricky Phillips was the bass player for this project? And did he do the Japan tour with them??

Thank you!! :)

Sharon

Steven--

Is this accurate (sorry to show my ignorance here! :) ), that Ricky Phillips was the bass player for this project? And did he do the Japan tour with them??

Thank you!! :)

Sharon

This is my first post as a member of the Led Zeppelin forum, though I've been a life long fan. I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Page a number of times, and he's always been quite kind and sincere, met Jonsey and Robert once and Jason as well. I was... and still am, a huge fan of the Coverdale/Page project and am actually taken back a bit by all the warm comments in this thread regarding their pairing.

It has been my experience that most Zeppelin fans hated the project... it makes me quite happy to know there are others out there who appreciated it as much as I have. To answer your question Sharon, yes, Ricky Phillips did play on the C/P album, but if memory serves he only played on Pride & Joy. Jorge Casas handled the majority of the bass work. C/P played seven shows in Japan in December 1993. I have five of those on CD and can testify to their quality as a live act. Here's their set list for the seven shows:

Coverdale/Page: Live in Japan 1993

(Opening Tape - from Absolution Blues)

Absolution Blues

Slide It In

Rock & Roll

Over Now

Kashmir

Pride & Joy

Take A Look At Yourself (acoustic)

Take Me For A Little While

In My Time Of Dying

Here I Go Again

White Summer/Black Mountain Side

Don't Leave Me This Way

Shake My Tree (w/J. Page Theremin)

Still Of The Night

Out On The Tiles Intro>Black Dog

The Ocean Intro>Feeling Hot

On the final night, 22 December, Jimmy throws in the opening notes of Stairway just prior to launching into the solo on Take Me For A Little While and during the Theremin workout on Shake My Tree the band, Denny Carmassi (drums) and Guy Pratt (bass) launch into Whole Lotta Love. Jimmy joins in and Coverdale, despite being caught way off guard, joins in the fun and they deliver a ripping version of that song before going back into, and finishing, Shake My Tree.

It truly is a shame this band didn't tour America. As a guitarist I was curious how Page would handle some of the Whitesnake material, because, let's face it, John Sykes is a demon on six strings. The guitar solo from Still Of The Night was played on keyboards by Brett Tuggle, but Pagey was in top form on of David's past material. I was also curious how David would do with singing Zep... and Plant's... songs. You can tell he really enjoyed the opportunity and sang with much passion and gusto.

Black Dog was a long, drawn-out number because David would sing a line... then he would pause as the crowd went totally nuts... then he'd sing another line and pause...

On Pride & Joy keyboardist Tuggle played the acoustic parts while Jimmy was on the Les Paul. The acoustic version of Take A Look At Yourself was great... the version on 15 December was especially moving. A brief bass solo preceded this number.

So... my first post and what a doozy... sorry to be long. I love the C/P project and just get lost reflecting on it...

And to Jeff Morton... do you hail from Colorado? I knew a Jeff Morton in Colorado and lost touch a while back. If this is the same chap... small world, eh?

I don't hate the Coverdale/Page album but I'm also not excited. I think Jon Lord said all what I thought.

KEYBOARDS: Have you heard the album Coverdale just made with Jimmy Page [of Led Zeppelin]?

Lord : Yes, very disappointing, don't you think?

KEYBOARDS: But Coverdale was the best possible replacement for Robert Plant。

Lord : But he doesn't need to be a replacement for anybody! He did such a good job in Whitesnake. And Jimmy is - besides the fact that he is a good friend of mine - such a great guitarist, that I thought: Why does he do that? On this album ["Coverdale Page", 1993] both have only tried to be something they aren't, especially Coverdale.

He tried to sound like Plant. Something I find very unfortunate, since there are so many Metal bands with no real identity. Especially for this reason Coverdale should have sung like Coverdale. He has such a great voice, somewhere in between a pop and blues voice. I couldn't find it on this album however. It just wasn't Coverdale - it was Plant, filtered through a different character.

It has been my experience that most Zeppelin fans hated the project... it makes me quite happy to know there are others out there who appreciated it as much as I have.

welcome to the board and an excellent post. please look around and see if there is more that you can chip in on....i would be most interested.

as for this project and many others, i only follow one rule:

wherever there is an empty stage-

i always pray for jimmy page!

Dr Death--

Thanks for a great post--and welcome!!! :)

First let me say I am INSANELY jealous that you have met Jimmy Page multiple times..how have you gotten so lucky??! I would die happy if I could just meet him once (just once, please, universe--that's all I'm asking ;) )!! LOL!! :)

Thank you for answering my question. That takes a little bit of my pain out, if Ricky Phillips only played on Pride and Joy. MAybe someone else can verify this?? But it does sound like form what you posted that he did NOT play bass on their short Japan tour, right??

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Thank you for answering my question. That takes a little bit of my pain out, if Ricky Phillips only played on Pride and Joy. MAybe someone else can verify this?? But it does sound like from what you posted that he did NOT play bass on their short Japan tour, right??

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Guy Pratt was the bassist for the Japanese tour.

To the others: I never said Jimmy was fearful of Nuno, I said Jimmy was uncomfortable with having Extreme as their opening act. The fact is Extreme in '93 was riding a wave

a commercial success and were arguably the better BAND. It's no coincidence vocalist

Vince Neil was chosen as opening act (although all dates were ultimately cancelled).

To the others: I never said Jimmy was fearful of Nuno, I said Jimmy was uncomfortable with having Extreme as their opening act. The fact is Extreme in '93 was riding a wave

a commercial success and were arguably the better BAND. It's no coincidence vocalist

Vince Neil was chosen as opening act (although all dates were ultimately cancelled).

Yes, Vince Neil was slated as the opening act for the show I had tickets to see.

Knebby, I agree with you on your assessment of Jon Lord. He was correct in saying Coverdale was not being Coverdale for that project.

Yes, Vince Neil was slated as the opening act for the show I had tickets to see.

Knebby, I agree with you on your assessment of Jon Lord. He was correct in saying Coverdale was not being Coverdale for that project.

I consider myself a pretty big fan of David Coverdale. I've got his DP era albums, his two solo albums pre-Whitesnake, Northwinds and, oddly enough - Whitesnake :slapface: I've got every album he did w/Whitesnake including Restless Heart and Starkers In Tokyo as well as Into The Light. And of course I have the Led Snake CD, five live CD's of them, a rehearsals CD as well as Saccharine and Southern Comfort, two outtakes from the Page collaboration.

That said... I don't believe that David was out to "be" or "act" like Robert Plant when he worked with Jimmy. I remember just about every interview I heard of them Coverdale would always bring up the fact that it was Page's riff's that forced him to sing that way... "soaring back into the stratosphere" or however it was he explained it.

The way I see it David was given music to write lyrics to and come up with melody's for. The very first song they wrote together was Absolution Blues. Other tracks, as I'm sure you know, are Waiting On You, Whisper A Prayer For The Dying, Over Now, Feeling Hot and Saccharine.

None of those are exactly mellow. Two pieces of music... not melody's or lyrics, but actual music, that we know David contributed to the C/P album are Don't Leave Me This Way and the acoustic section of Pride & Joy. Both of these are mellow. Initially he envisioned Don't Leave Me This Way an acoustic song! But Coverdale was providing a real spark for Jimmy and Jimmy just did what he does so well... he created riff after riff... and Pride & Joy, David's little acoustic "Dr. John" number turned into a riff-fest thanks to the Sonic Architect.

So... some may say 'Coverdale was not being Coverdale' on that album... I see it differently; I see a musician who was working closely with a fellow musician and they each helped the other to reach heights they hadn't seen in a while. They collaborated in every sense of the word and the end result was one of the great albums of the 1990's. Coverdale proved many things with that album... but one of the most impressive things was his vocal range. From the softer songs, to the blues, to the all-out rockers, he sang them all incredibly well and showed that he was anything but a Robert Plant clone.

I think David never "intended" to sound like Plant on the CP album....however, he did...and there's no getting around that fact.

Lets face one fact. There is no other singer out there....including Plant....who have as "big" a voice as David Coverdale. Just...all encompassing LARGE vocal range. The best examples of DC's work are on his early Whitesnake albums (my personal fave being Ready an' Willing)

In late 1985 he had surgery on his sinus cavity and (not reported) had some throat work done. Destroyed his mid range voice. You can hear it on the Coverdale Page album. His voice on Take Me For a Little While and Take a look at Yourself is very raspy. As he said in the interview with Red Beard in 1993 he sounded like "Donny Osmond with athsma".

So David resorts to this very high pitched "head" voice scream and it's done further damage to his voice.

David's natural inclination is to sing like he did on his first two solo albums. In fact, that's the kind of music he likes. Blues/Soul music. The disappointing thing for me is when David was his "truest" ...(from 1973 to 1983) no one cared. I think people don't understand (outside of Knebby and I) how HARD David worked to gain popularity in England on his own...it took five solid years of constant touring and doing two albums a year...and I think he felt he was doomed to the "band of the people" vibe and he was never going to be taken seriously by High Street and the American people...

David's mistake is that his ambition outweighed his artistic cred. He wanted to break the States and it has relegated him to a smaller portion of Rock history than he deserves. If David would have just stayed true to what he was doing...yes...no one in the States would know him...but he'd be respected in England...and Plant would have never gone all "fishwife" on him in the late 80's.

Just my two pence.

Steven--

Thank you! Was Ricky Phillps then only playing bass on Pride and Joy, or did he do more songs on the album with them??

thank you so much!!! :)

Sharon

Archived