Definitive songs for the spellbinding voices

Gegenschein

Glicine, Aquamarine, Ninelives and meself had a lovely conversation over at the Plant replacement (*cringe* what a blasphemy! sorry, that was the name of the thread) so this thread is largely a result of that. Here's the idea:

- Take a singer from the list - make sure he/she hasn't been taken already (some of us are slow pokes, myself included, and may take days/weeks to complete the post in progress)

- Make a compact post with two mandatory features: their name and links to 2-5 definitive songs... not just any songs but preferably those that really show their voice in all its glory (not necessarily the best/most popular sings by their band). You can add a photo, a mini-bio and any amusing facts you like. If you need some time to compile your post, you can reserve the name - just comment about it. (LOL first come, first serve)

- If the singer you'd like to present is not on the list, then by all means go ahead and post about them - don't wait for anyone else.

I decided to start off with Freddie Mercury. And Tel is also mine - sorry, ladies (though I'm not ready to post about him just yet) - with these two it's effortless, I don't need to look anything up because their bio and discography is in my head (also most of it on CDs/vinyl), photos on my hard drive and most relevant links bookmarked; and I can mentally sift through their songs to pick the ones showcasing the vocals. (Just like we all could with LZ) I could do more but I don't want to be so greedy; and teamwork is more fun anyway.

The List (the names that came in the most recent discussion)

Buckley, Jeff *taken*

Buckley, Tim

Burdon, Eric

Cocker, Joe

Farlowe, Chris

Marriott, Steve

Mercury, Freddie *taken*

Morrison, Van *taken*

Reid, Terry *taken*

Rodgers, Paul

Stewart, Rod

Winwood, Steve

of course lots of great singers also belong here, but we can start with these few and then do a big whooping add-on... what do you guys think?

(hope no one's toes have been stepped on yet... :blink: )

mercury.jpg

Freddie Mercury (Sept 05 1946 - Nov 24 1991) born Farukh Bomi Bulsara - lived with his family in Zanzibar till the age of 8, then attended boarding school in India, where he played piano in a school band, the Hectics. Soon after he finished school and returned to Zanzibar his family was forced to leave due to political instability in the region. The Bulsaras settled in London, and 17 y.old Freddie went to Isleworth Polytechnic and later to Ealing to study art.

His first college band was Ibex (later Wreckage) then he joined Sour Milk Sea. Both bands were short-lived.

While still in Ibex Freddie was introduced to the band Smile by its singer Tim Staffel, who was a fellow student at Ealing.

In 1970 Tim left the band, and Freddie joined the Smile guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor to form what eventually became Queen. The band famously auditioned several bassists before settling on John Deacon. From that point on Freddie's biography is the story of Queen, though he had a successful solo career in the mid-80s, when the band members needed a break from each other. Besides the amazing vocal range and crystal clear operatic quality voice, Freddie possessed undeniable charisma as the frontman, which no doubt contributed to unforgettable performances. Freddie's illness in 1989-91 brought the band back together for their final glorious effort, the Innuendo album. His death of AIDS in 1991 was mourned by millions of fans wordwide.

(better than the album version IMO. Bri looks like a a ghost - he barely survived that year)

Van Morrison

vanmorrison.jpg

Blue-eyed soul!

I like CMT's biography of him, which begins like this:

Equal parts blue-eyed soul shouter and wild-eyed poet-sorcerer, Van Morrison is among popular music's true innovators, a restless seeker whose incantatory vocals and alchemical fusion of R&B, jazz, blues, and Celtic folk produced perhaps the most spiritually transcendent body of work in the rock & roll canon. Subject only to the whims of his own muse, his recordings cover extraordinary stylistic ground yet retain a consistency and purity virtually unmatched among his contemporaries, connected by the mythic power of his singular musical vision and his incendiary vocal delivery: spiraling repetitions of wails and whispers that bypass the confines of language to articulate emotional truths far beyond the scope of literal meaning.

Here's the rest:

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/morrison_van/bio.jhtml

Early days--as singer with Them

Gloria:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuY1umk4R8s

Latter solo days

Brown Eyed Girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SP60n9v2YM...feature=related

Domino, live in London

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6AfNhp4agc

(Sorry about logos)

Jeff Buckley (son of the late Tim Buckley) to me has one of the most passionate voices in rock. His lyrics coupled against his sparse music created some of my favorite songs ever. He was so young and just starting out when he died in a drowning accident.

Here's a biography on him from his website:

http://www.jeffbuckley.com/bio.asp

Two albums to absolutely get are Grace and Live From Sin-e (does a cracking version of Night Flight). There was an album released Posthumously which people were brought in to complete tracks he started. There are some decent songs on it but it's not quite as authentic if you will.

Some tracks to get acquainted with Jeff:

Grace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siNsgbIWhAQ

Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ...E73&index=0

Last Goodbye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8JoMhgjRw...t=1&index=4

Jeff Buckley (son of the late Tim Buckley) to me has one of the most passionate voices in rock.

Good Job Nine...this was good choice along with F.Mercury earlier...nice to see Jeff's videos again...he sure is special........I glanced the list, and I would say, I will have to wait for add on's

:D

Good Job Nine...this was good choice along with F.Mercury earlier...nice to see Jeff's videos again...he sure is special........I glanced the list, and I would say, I will have to wait for add on's

:D

Thanks :wave: I think Jeff is phenomenal. His dad was also an amazing singer/songwriter. Perhaps I will add him to the thread :D

Alot of work reqested here, and I don't usually delve into links or bios. However, I see Steve Winwood's name listed. I've mentioned before I'm not drawn to vocalists in general, but his voice stands out in so many groups that he's been in, as well as his solo stuff. Maybe the fact that he is so talented on just about every instrument that is rock related gets my interest, too. Anyway try these:

Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group (he's how old?)

Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith

Forty Thousand Headmen - Traffic

Spanish Dancer - solo (I believe that's him on bass, too)

Alot of work reqested here, and I don't usually delve into links or bios. However, I see Steve Winwood's name listed. I've mentioned before I'm not drawn to vocalists in general, but his voice stands out in so many groups that he's been in, as well as his solo stuff. Maybe the fact that he is so talented on just about every instrument that is rock related gets my interest, too. Anyway try these:

Steve is one of my all time favourite vocalists. Great pick on songs there!

Steve is one of my all time favourite vocalists. Great pick on songs there!

Thank you, Swede! I just reread the initial post on this thread - is the overall intent another discussion about a Plant replacement, or just about great vocalists? I remember pondering why Winwood wasn't being considered much to join the 3 J's in one of those threads last year, when he seemed more available (opening for Tom Petty then, joining Eric Clapton now)?

One of my favorite vocalists! Absolutely love him in all the above incarnations. Saw him in concert about a year ago on his own. He was touring for his Ninelives cd (nice name ;) ) and was absolutely cracking! 2 plus hours and the band he had were also stellar.

Jimmie - to answer your question below, it's not about a Plant replacement this thread - just to discuss vocalists you like a lot :D

Thank you, Swede! I just reread the initial post on this thread - is the overall intent another discussion about a Plant replacement, or just about great vocalists? I remember pondering why Winwood wasn't being considered much to join the 3 J's in one of those threads last year, when he seemed more available (opening for Tom Petty then, joining Eric Clapton now)?

Nothing to do with Plant replacements (in fact, please let's not go there)! The discussion just started in that thread. It was initially about great British vocalists, but I'm sure doesn't have to be restricted to them.

Phil Lynott

220px-Thin_lizzy_22041980_01_400.jpg

Philip Parris Lynott (20 August 1949 – 4 January 1986) was an Irish singer, bassist, instrumentalist, and songwriter, who first came to prominence as the frontman of Thin Lizzy.

He's got some great solo songs, but I prefer the Lizzy stuff. Here's some of it:

The-Hand-Dont-Fit-theGlovesepiadark.jpg

Self-described "kid on helium" also known by the nickname of SuperLungs (explanation needed?)

Terry has been singing for as long as he can remember himself, propped on top of fruit crates to reach the microphone. At 12 he got his first frontman position, in the school band the Redbeats, which apparently still existed in 1965, when Peter Jay heard the 15 y.old singer and promptly snagged him for his own band. This, in turn, got the Jaywalkers a support slot with the Rolling Stones on their 1966 tour - by way of coincidence another support group was the Yardbirds. Two years later, Jimmy Page still remembered that voice, because when the Yardbirds disbanded in 1968 he asked Peter Grant to locate Reid so that he could start a band with him. Two events made it impossible to accept the invitation. First, earlier in the year Terry's friend Graham Nash convinced producer Mickie Most to sign up the young singer for a solo deal, and the resulting 5 album exclusive contract made him unavailable for studio work with anyone else. Second, Terry already had commitment with the Rolling Stones for their US tour. Forced to decline, Reid didn't forget about Jimmy's quest for a singer and soon phoned him suggesting to check out his friend Robert Plant. Next year, still bound by the same contract, he declined Ritchie Blackmore's persistent calls to join Deep Purple.

Let's pause here for a second - having the next line bracketed in IMO and fully aware that I'm in minority, I don't think the decisions not to join those two bands were bad luck events. Easy on the eyes, with truly magnificent voice, vibrant stage presence, decent songwriting and rhythm guitar skills, Terry Reid was perfectly equipped for a successful solo career... which never happened. He described his life in music with one word: a trainwreck. What went wrong? Just about everything. The ever-changing musicians line-up. Lack of promotion. On the way to Woodstock, stuck in the aiport - along with Joni Mitchell never made it to the festival. Producer "insisting on Reid recording pop fodder that bordered on the inane and was an insult to his massive vocal talent." His first album was released only in the US. The 2nd album was still at the demo stage - Mickie Most released it against the promise not to, while Terry was away. Having a blazing row with the producer and telling him where to stick the contract hardly helps one's recording career. (MM: "You can't say that!" TR: "I just did!") Three years of silence followed, with sporadic, legendary live appearances, desperate desire to record but no means to fulfill it. Personal intervention by Ahmet Ertegün rescued Terry from the long litigation with his producer; by now he relocated to California and continued recording River album. When at long last it was finished, Atlantic was at loss as to how to "bag" it - the album was too "jazzy" for rock and to "rocky" for jazz label - with only tentative backing and no promotion it failed to chart. 3 years of silence again, and Seed Of Memory, produced by Graham Nash, came out in 1976 on ABC records; it's considered one of his finest efforts if not the best. But still, it was a Terry Reid album, so naturally something had to go wrong again, and it did. Only weeks after the album release ABC folded. Two more albums, same amount of "good fortune" and Reid's career truly lost momentum... seemingly for good. The 2005 UK tour IMO should have been canceled - he was too sick to sing, and people who heard him only at one of those gigs were truly baffled "isn't he supposed to have a great voice?" Getting married and moving out to Palm Desert (WTF?) in 2006(?) put an end to his routine appearances at the Big Mondays - a weekly live event at the Joint in Beverly Hills hosted by Waddy Watchell and friends. Occasional live gigs still happen, and the talks about a new album are still just that - talks.

If you only listen to 1 TR song, make it this one. Although a Donovan cover, it presents one of the most jaw-dropping vocals ever heard.

Superlungs My Supergirl (the 2nd song on this page is John Denver singing, IDK Y)

(Grrrrrr... the album version of Penny has been taken down... but I insist that it's a definitive song - edit to replace the link)

Dean (live 1971)

(funny how he sounds like "a blind old black dude with missing teeth" if you just listen to the audio)

Nothing to do with Plant replacements (in fact, please let's not go there)! The discussion just started in that thread. It was initially about great British vocalists, but I'm sure doesn't have to be restricted to them.

Thank you!

I think we need to keep repeating this point.

As for "British only" - by all means NO, though it started off as a discussion of pretty (OK, mostly pretty :rolleyes: ) white British boys who could blow out a few windows with their glorious pipes.

But indeed I just thought of John Fogerty and Harry Nilsson... :D

Thank you!

I think we need to keep repeating this point.

As for "British only" - by all means NO, though it started off as a discussion of pretty (OK, mostly pretty :rolleyes: ) white British boys who could blow out a few windows with their glorious pipes.

But indeed I just thought of John Fogerty and Harry Nilsson... :D

Harry Nilsson - his album Nilson Schmilson was a staple in my house as a kid. I wore it out especially the song Coconut :D

Harry Nilsson - his album Nilson Schmilson was a staple in my house as a kid. I wore it out especially the song Coconut :D

I once woke my husband up by playing the bass line from Jump Into The Fire, through the amp! - he thought it was the actual record playing! It was kind of flattering.

I love the whole album, but especially that song - Herbie Flowers is divine on bass! Ooops, oh yeah, this is a vocalists thread...

So - will you do Harry? :D

I once woke my husband up by playing the bass line from Jump Into The Fire, through the amp! - he thought it was the actual record playing! It was kind of flattering.

I love the whole album, but especially that song - Herbie Flowers is divine on bass! Ooops, oh yeah, this is a vocalists thread...

So - will you do Harry? :D

Will I do Harry :o;):D Well I'll post a blurb on him :lol:

Archived