Adam Lambert American Idol

MightyZep

I don't know if any of you saw American Idol last night but there is a contestant named Adam Lambert. He is PHENOMENAL. Seriously one of the best singers I maybe have ever heard. Since he started gathering more fame I keep hearing people say "He sounds like a young Robert Plant." or "He should sing some Led Zeppelin."

Now, I have always been one to scoff at the idea of rock singers attempting to take on Plant but this kid is INSANE. I'm not saying he IS Plant or IS at that level but I'm saying that he is easily the best contender for covering that stuff. Seriously. I don't care if you're not into American Idol, if you AT ALL appreciate that 60's -70's Plant style you should see this kid! It doesn't even feel like American Idol. I posting a youtube video of his performance. Once you get past the first minute it's like DAMN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDic3tMJdg...feature=related

I agree that he can sing. I was also pretty impressed by the 16 year old girl who sang "Alone"; I think she has a lot of maturity/potential (you can also hear the judges at the end of the clip)

Allison Iraheta Preforms Alone By Heart

I'd like to hear her not "try" so hard and just let her natural voice come out. It's clearly there but a bit over the top for my ears. That said, at 16 it's pretty impressive and with some time/maturity, some potential indeed.

I'd like to hear her not "try" so hard and just let her natural voice come out. It's clearly there but a bit over the top for my ears. That said, at 16 it's pretty impressive and with some time/maturity, some potential indeed.

And she's bashful.

B)

oh please...could American Idol get any more plastic?

I'm sick to death of these pretty little picture perfect American idol people with their pretty little perfect voices and this guy's smooth corporate rock song voice probably better suited to High School Musical 4....

When did you people sell out and bite into the meat patty of pre-packaged happy meal rock music?

You know once upon a time someone like Ethel Merman could get on Broadway and belt out a ballsy brassy number, but noooo not anymore, nowdays you have to be perfect and pretty like Barbi Hudgens and Ken Efron (sold seperately)

oh please...could American Idol get any more plastic?

I'm sick to death of these pretty little picture perfect American idol people with their pretty little perfect voices and this guy's smooth corporate rock song voice probably better suited to High School Musical 4....

When did you people sell out and bite into the meat patty of pre-packaged happy meal rock music?

You know once upon a time someone like Ethel Merman could get on Broadway and belt out a ballsy brassy number, but noooo not anymore, nowdays you have to be perfect and pretty like Barbi Hudgens and Ken Efron (sold seperately)

Hey now, I am not a sellout. Times have changed and I think that American Idol is a respectable way of getting your name out there. Doesn't mean that I support all of them (hello Ruben Studdard?) but some are TRULY great and you can't deny that.

'Adam Lambert belongs with the HSM crap.' That's an idotic thing for you to say. The boy can sing up there with some of the greats and I don't think that's fair. AI isn't all plastic either. Sure, the show has a number of flaws but you know what? It pulls 30+ million viewers! That's impressive.

Also, think of all the people you would be missing out on if let's say Plant or McJagger had come through American Idol? I'm not saying that they would, but you could be blinding yourself to potential greatness. I don't know, think what you want....

Hey now, I am not a sellout. Times have changed and I think that American Idol is a respectable way of getting your name out there. Doesn't mean that I support all of them (hello Ruben Studdard?) but some are TRULY great and you can't deny that.

Unfortunately, American Idol is starting to become the only way to get your name out there...

'Adam Lambert belongs with the HSM crap.' That's an idotic thing for you to say. The boy can sing up there with some of the greats and I don't think that's fair. AI isn't all plastic either. Sure, the show has a number of flaws but you know what? It pulls 30+ million viewers! That's impressive.

It's not an idiotic thing to say, I think you're just offended. But anyway it's not really my intention to pick on your tastes.

And if the show pulls in 30 million viewers, well, there's no accounting for taste, is there? I mean that shows mainstream popularity, but there's a quote from "Death In Venice": Do you know what lies at the bottom of the mainstream? Mediocrity.

American Idol is rather like McDonalds. First of all, don't kid yourself. American Idol is not about finding new talent and giving hopeful young singers a chance, it's all about money. It's a crafty little idea cooked up by Simon Cowell. Instead of a record company spending millions of dollars to promote a new artist, they sell the 'promotional rights' to a TV channel in the form of the TV show. Basically, FOX has to pay to promote artists. But of course FOX makes its money back in advertising revenue and the public voting process. Therefore, the record label doesn't have to spend any money on promotion. And they'll even let the public pick who they want to sing the crap songs.

But it's like McDonalds in the sense that McDonalds virtually removes any flavour from their products to make it as generically appealing to everyone. Idol does the same, we get a bland palate of artists to choose from, nobody too 'out there' in case it scares away the money.

Because the idol crap sells, record labels now drop artists off their roster in favour of American Idol people further eroding the quality of music in the mainstream.

Also, think of all the people you would be missing out on if let's say Plant or McJagger had come through American Idol? I'm not saying that they would, but you could be blinding yourself to potential greatness. I don't know, think what you want....

Mick Jagger would never have come through Idol, and you, surely, must know that. They would've labelled Mick as crap, probably even laughed at him and said he couldn't sing. Mick wouldn't have gotten anywhere in Idol, neither would Bob Dylan, John Lennon. We would've missed out on a lot of great people had they been forced to go through Idol's machinery.

Because of the so-called 'panel of judges' and because of the bland artists they pick to be on the show, American Idol is creating a ridiculous public expectation now on what a good singer is. People watch idol and end up believing the crap that Simon Cowell says and Paula Abdul and that other guy nobody knows. That creates in the public's mind 'artistic' expectations. But you see it's all rubbish. What the judges say on Idol is all for the television cameras, all for ratings, it's all about making good television. I know this personally because I was a production runner for Australian Idol. I was actually involved in the TV show and I know what goes on behind the scenes and I know that's it's all a crock of shit.

When someone gets on the show and Simon Cowell or Paula Abdul say "you're shit" or "you can't sing" blah blah whatever insult they say, that's all just to make good TV. It's not an accurate assessment of that person's talent or ability. Simon Cowell doesn't say "sorry, you're not what we're looking for" which is the correct thing to say, because they are looking for a specific style. They simply put the person down, and this makes the public think that to be a good singer you have to sing like an American Idol.

It's also changing the way people sing. People now feel the need to sing with vocal theatrics or show-off passages because that's what they do on Idol to get people to notice them. 15 years ago you could just sing a song straight, no fucking around vocally and it was fine, now everyone has to put vocal tricks into it.

American Idol is bad for our music culture because it doesn't widen the musical expression field, it drastically narrows it, and because the show is popular, that's what makes it a big problem.

So many people we admire in the music would never have gotten through the idol selection round, and this means that undiscovered, talented people who are not in the Idol 'mould' will find it much harder to get the public's attention.

Unfortunately, American Idol is starting to become the only way to get your name out there...

It's not an idiotic thing to say, I think you're just offended. But anyway it's not really my intention to pick on your tastes.

And if the show pulls in 30 million viewers, well, there's no accounting for taste, is there? I mean that shows mainstream popularity, but there's a quote from "Death In Venice": Do you know what lies at the bottom of the mainstream? Mediocrity.

American Idol is rather like McDonalds. First of all, don't kid yourself. American Idol is not about finding new talent and giving hopeful young singers a chance, it's all about money. It's a crafty little idea cooked up by Simon Cowell. Instead of a record company spending millions of dollars to promote a new artist, they sell the 'promotional rights' to a TV channel in the form of the TV show. Basically, FOX has to pay to promote artists. But of course FOX makes its money back in advertising revenue and the public voting process. Therefore, the record label doesn't have to spend any money on promotion. And they'll even let the public pick who they want to sing the crap songs.

But it's like McDonalds in the sense that McDonalds virtually removes any flavour from their products to make it as generically appealing to everyone. Idol does the same, we get a bland palate of artists to choose from, nobody too 'out there' in case it scares away the money.

Because the idol crap sells, record labels now drop artists off their roster in favour of American Idol people further eroding the quality of music in the mainstream.

Mick Jagger would never have come through Idol, and you, surely, must know that. They would've labelled Mick as crap, probably even laughed at him and said he couldn't sing. Mick wouldn't have gotten anywhere in Idol, neither would Bob Dylan, John Lennon. We would've missed out on a lot of great people had they been forced to go through Idol's machinery.

Because of the so-called 'panel of judges' and because of the bland artists they pick to be on the show, American Idol is creating a ridiculous public expectation now on what a good singer is. People watch idol and end up believing the crap that Simon Cowell says and Paula Abdul and that other guy nobody knows. That creates in the public's mind 'artistic' expectations. But you see it's all rubbish. What the judges say on Idol is all for the television cameras, all for ratings, it's all about making good television. I know this personally because I was a production runner for Australian Idol. I was actually involved in the TV show and I know what goes on behind the scenes and I know that's it's all a crock of shit.

When someone gets on the show and Simon Cowell or Paula Abdul say "you're shit" or "you can't sing" blah blah whatever insult they say, that's all just to make good TV. It's not an accurate assessment of that person's talent or ability. Simon Cowell doesn't say "sorry, you're not what we're looking for" which is the correct thing to say, because they are looking for a specific style. They simply put the person down, and this makes the public think that to be a good singer you have to sing like an American Idol.

It's also changing the way people sing. People now feel the need to sing with vocal theatrics or show-off passages because that's what they do on Idol to get people to notice them. 15 years ago you could just sing a song straight, no fucking around vocally and it was fine, now everyone has to put vocal tricks into it.

American Idol is bad for our music culture because it doesn't widen the musical expression field, it drastically narrows it, and because the show is popular, that's what makes it a big problem.

So many people we admire in the music would never have gotten through the idol selection round, and this means that undiscovered, talented people who are not in the Idol 'mould' will find it much harder to get the public's attention.

I completely understand where ur coming from but I just think that you're overthinking it a little. Personally, I don't care about all the minut little details about what the judges are saying to make the tv show look good. I'm just watching so that maybe somehow someone worth a shit can get through. I don't really ever get excited about an Idol contest and I don't like the "generic Idol mold". But, come on, please you just gotta admit that Adam and the Allison girl have got some pipes and some impressive confidence. Put all the AI stuff away. Just focus on their ability. Don't overthink it.

As for the Mick Jagger and Robert Plant thing, that was just an analogy. I mean, "WHAT IF" someone like Plant got on and you missed them because of the show they're on. I'm just saying that if you're not careful you will put your American Idol frustrations off on someone who actually has some rock quality talent (I'm not talking about Chris Daughtry, hate that shit).

Dude, trust me, I know what you're saying. I'm a HUGE Led Zeppelin, White Stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, Beatles fan etc. I just tend to look at it as this: There are no other shows currently showing in America that focus so heavily on music as AI. If we're lucky, we may have someone REALLY good sneak into the general mediocre of American Idol. I happen to like a couple contest this year. Adam and Allison stand out because, regardless of the show they're on, I feel like they are confident and can rock the shit out of some songs. But that's just me. I can respect your opinions.

90+% of the time, I agree with Simon. I think the new judge, Kara, articulates the artists' strengths/weaknesses more accurately and constructively than the others have. They definitely know "it" when they see it. Randy is apparently a Zeppelin fan, btw. Last season he listed a Led Zeppelin album (I think it was III) as one of the first albums he ever bought.

I personally say "Bravo!" for that post. :D Too many people are just passive consumers who don't think about how what they are watching, eating, buying, hearing is really made. I think that's an important thing to do.

Oh and by the way, I can't watch those clips that were posted because of copyright protection. :rolleyes: yeah its all about the music...........

Check out this list of guest coaches viewers want to see (note #4! that would be awesome! :) ):

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20007164_2...13580_3,00.html

Some great suggestions (Carole King, Bette Midler, Eagles, Timbaland); some not so great (Sheena Easton? :blink: ). I'd love to see Stevie Nicks as a coach.

(sorry I forgot to do the link name thingy)

Check out this list of guest coaches viewers want to see (note #4! that would be awesome! :) ):

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20007164_2...13580_3,00.html

Some great suggestions (Carole King, Bette Midler, Eagles, Timbaland); some not so great (Sheena Easton? :blink: ). I'd love to see Stevie Nicks as a coach.

(sorry I forgot to do the link name thingy)

Those are some great pics and it would be cool to see Robert on there! You don't like Sheena Easton? I think she is a great singer. Back to some points made earlier in this thread, I understand why some people are not fond of the "American Idol mold" and respect their opinions, but I think some talented singers have come off of the show. I am not ashamed to say I am an American Idol fan! :)

Those are some great pics and it would be cool to see Robert on there! You don't like Sheena Easton? I think she is a great singer. Back to some points made earlier in this thread, I understand why some people are not fond of the "American Idol mold" and respect their opinions, but I think some talented singers have come off of the show. I am not ashamed to say I am an American Idol fan! :)

I just never saw her as a major force in the recording industry like most of the others on the list. But I do like Idol; we're kind of partial to Chris Daughtry too :)

What a voice this guy has. He needs to tone it down a bit and not over do it as he did during parts of Satisfaction. Has a great shot of winning the whole thing. Certainly the best singer of all the contestants, but the best doesn't always win.

I actually checked out his profile on the official AI site and he said he'd like to tackle some Zeppelin. I don't think the band has ever let any of their songs performed on this show. Am I right? I would like to see Adam sing one of them.

What a voice this guy has. He needs to tone it down a bit and not over do it as he did during parts of Satisfaction. Has a great shot of winning the whole thing. Certainly the best singer of all the contestants, but the best doesn't always win.

I actually checked out his profile on the official AI site and he said he'd like to tackle some Zeppelin. I don't think the band has ever let any of their songs performed on this show. Am I right? I would like to see Adam sing one of them.

We've been watching the show since Season 5 and haven't seen any Zeppelin, but that would be awesome to see! :)

Archived