Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
The Rover

Astronomy - Planets , Stars & Heavenly Bodies

1 hour ago, LedZed66 said:

^ Great video, thanks for posting.

Yesterday's lunar eclipse. Pictures taken by Mr. LedZed

1_DSC_0062.thumb.jpg.9ebf7d17834f3807e27237688992e742.jpg

1_DSC_0062_2.thumb.jpg.0c4a5e6b52501852d2c4b7741658c175.jpg

1_DSC_0090.thumb.jpg.5be5cda000c1840ebf924d1768fecc5f.jpg

Was  looking forward to that last night but we got clouded out here in North West England.

No eclipse here (Pacific Northwest) but we will get the coming meteor showers.

If you have clear skies tonight, you can get a good look at the Red Planet Mars tonight. At 12:45am CDT, Mars is in the Southern sky, about 45 degrees up from the horizon. It's the closest Mars has been to the Earth in 15 years (since 2003).

On 7/28/2018 at 10:43 AM, JTM said:

Was  looking forward to that last night but we got clouded out here in North West England.

It was spectacular because of the perfect, bright sky. I must admit I find eclipses boring, but it was different this time.
The moon was still near the horizon, so it appeared quite big and the red color was beautiful. And it was magical when the eclipse ended and the sun started to illuminate the moon. It would have been a perfect moment for Thus spoke Zarathustra

Spectacular Perseid Meteor Shower august 11-13, 2018 - Eyes to the Skies

https://youtu.be/FoATKHhE_rQ

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, The Rover said:

Spectacular Perseid Meteor Shower august 11-13, 2018 - Eyes to the Skies

https://youtu.be/FoATKHhE_rQ

Yes! We lay on a mattress in the yard. :)

Edited by redrum

Mars is close and looking good through a modest 130mm telescope.  Polar cap clearly visible.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:19 PM, chef free said:

Mars is close and looking good through a modest 130mm telescope.  Polar cap clearly visible.

Is it closer to us at this time of year?  I know that Venus and Mars have always been "morning stars".  People think they are stars but they are in reality the planets Venus and Mars.  I believe Venus is more visible more often?  But we can see it with the naked eye on most clear mornings. I always wanted a good telescope but I learned its a waste of time where I live.  Near Rochester and Lake Ontario its a horrible place for an astronomer to live.  Visibility is rarely good for seeing stars.  Going out on a ship in the mid Atlantic would be ideal, unless you are on the Titanic.  I would like to see the southern hemisphere sky at night.  The southern cross for instance.  a constellation that is visible only in the southern hemisphere.

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Is it closer to us at this time of year?  I know that Venus and Mars have always been "morning stars".  People think they are stars but they are in reality the planets Venus and Mars.  I believe Venus is more visible more often?  But we can see it with the naked eye on most clear mornings. I always wanted a good telescope but I learned its a waste of time where I live.  Near Rochester and Lake Ontario its a horrible place for an astronomer to live.  Visibility is rarely good for seeing stars.  Going out on a ship in the mid Atlantic would be ideal, unless you are on the Titanic.  I would like to see the southern hemisphere sky at night.  The southern cross for instance.  a constellation that is visible only in the southern hemisphere.

Mars and earth are on the same side of the sun right now so we're pretty close, about a mere 35,000,000 miles, that's close for another planet! 

I hear ya about lack of dark skies, I've lived in the SF Bay Area for my whole life, the difference in darkness in fifty years is shocking, it NEVER gets dark here anymore, three times as many people, lights, etc.  I got a "go to" telescope, you program in your longitude and latitude, then point it at three bright stars, now it "knows" where it is and can point itself at objects you can't see with the naked eye.  I also have a filter that blocks some of the light that street lights make, it doesn't make the stars brighter, it makes the sky darker.

Now a trip to the southern hemisphere for some star gazing would be awesome! I'd love to see the Southern Cross, I've heard the Tarantula nebula is as cool as the Orion nebula.  I've also heard about a dust cloud that blocks all the stars behind it, it's called the Coal Sack.  More bucket list stuff...