PRE-FM Olympia, Paris, France 10th October 1969

hodgo

Not sure if this mentioned on here but I thought someone ought to, if you know where to look there's a CD of a TAPE of the Pre Broadcast reels available from the Olympia, 10th October 1969 in the CITY of Paris, so is an upgrade on that which has been previously available, so it's well worth checking out if you can find where to look for it.

Graham

Led Zeppelin 1969.10.10 Olympia, Paris, France

-----------------------------------------------------

Disc 1 Pre-FM transfer

01.Introduction

02.Good Times Bad TimesIntro / Communication Breakdown

03.I Can't Quit You Baby

04.Heartbreaker

05.Dazed And Confused

06.White Summer / Black Moutain Side

04.You Shook Me

07.How Many More Times

Disc 2 FM broadcast version incl. DJ comments

01.Introduction

02.Good Times Bad TimesIntro / Communication Breakdown

03.I Can't Quit You Baby

04.Heartbreaker

05.Dazed And Confused

06.White Summer / Black Moutain Side

04.You Shook Me

07.How Many More Times

It is very much an upgrade over what was previously available.

Very true and I was quite surprised not to see mention of it anywhere, maybe someone should tell the guy's at Underground Uprising so they can do a review of it.

Graham

Very true and I was quite surprised not to see mention of it anywhere, maybe someone should tell the guy's at Underground Uprising so they can do a review of it.

Graham

It's there:

Underground Uprising

Paris 10 October 1969

One Night Stand In Paris (The Chronicles Of Led Zeppelin TCOLZ 029/030)

L'Olympia, Paris, France – October 10, 1969

Introduction, Good Times Bad Times Intro/Communication Breakdown, I Can't Quit You Baby, Heartbreaker, Dazed And Confused, White Summer/Black Mountain Side, You Shook Me, How Many More Times

Disc 1: (78:11) Pre-FM Transfer

Disc 2: (78:02) FM Broadcast Version inc. DJ Comments

Led Zeppelin's appearance in Paris on October 10, 1969 was recorded for French radio and was originally broadcast on Musicorama in 1969. The recording was known to exist for many years but amazingly never surfaced on any bootleg until it was rebroadcast in December 2007. This created a huge buzz in the Zeppelin community and quickly became a favorite among collectors. The rebroadcast contained a French radio announcer speaking over the performance in six different spots unfortunately marking the recording.

Within about a month or so of the 2007 airing, there were no less than six releases issued. Olympia 1969 (no label), Paris Olympia 1969 (Wendy), Paris Par Excellence (Empress Valley), and N'est Aucun Imbecile (Black Dog Rekords) all issued the complete broadcast including the DJ comments. Ain't No Fool (Black Dog Rekords) and L'Olympia (Godfatherecords) both edited the comments out along with the underlying music. Good Times Bad Times (Scorpio) was released in July 2007 and paired this tape with the show at the Lyceum from two days later and reportedly replaced the DJ with music from another night (a practice I could personally do without). While most of these titles sounded great, Godfather and Empress Valley were considered two of the best versions with Godfather praised for some really nice editing work.

This performance comes right before the release of Led Zeppelin II and we get the first documented version of "Heartbreaker" here, a true highlight. It is rumored that perhaps "Moby Dick" was played but unfortunately not broadcast. The rest of the set was a pretty standard show for the time starting with the "Good Times Bad Times" intro into "Communication Breakdown", which worked very well as the opener, and finishing with the long stretched out "How Many More Times". The performance here is both powerful and stunning and falls under the "must have" category for both avid and casual Zeppelin collectors.

TCOLZclaims to present a pre-FM transfer on disc one of One Night Stand In Paris and I must say, this appears to be the real deal. There is no DJ chatter and no apparent evidence of edits or cuts. Also, the overall level seems quieter and doesn't have that amplified characteristic that would be associated with an FM broadcast. The sound quality is excellent and is the best this has sounded so far.

Disc two contains the tape exactly as it was broadcast including commentary. While One Night Stand In Paris offers the best of both worlds, disc one, with great sound and no chatter, is the definitive version of this show. TCOLZ has uncovered a true gem and even though sometimes a little tinkering with the sound can be beneficial, I would much rather see the tapes left alone than over equalized. Bottom line is that the Zep community needs a label like TCOLZ to offer collectors un-tampered source tapes and so far have proven worthy. This comes packaged in a double slimline jewel case with a very nice layout for the artwork. (wgpsec Jan 09)

Well, a real gem, in fact hearing it without the DJ chatter is a joy, and it sounds really good, I prefer the original broadcast for audio quality purposes but this version sounds just about right, definitively the one to get over all versions. I'm actually waiting for a remaster of this to fix the dropouts etc.

Overall an excellent release, a great upgrade, I must say that this is the first great bootleg release of the year.

Not sure if this mentioned on here but I thought someone ought to, if you know where to look there's a CD of a TAPE of the Pre Broadcast reels available from the Olympia, 10th October 1969 in the CITY of Paris, so is an upgrade on that which has been previously available, so it's well worth checking out if you can find where to look for it.

Graham

Led Zeppelin 1969.10.10 Olympia, Paris, France

Has anyone done a test on this new source to make sure it's not lossy sourced ?

Yes, and it isn't.

Yes sir to both of you ! And it's sounding mighty fine ! :D

Thank you !

I saw & downloaded this a week ago when it first went up, I also looked at this site to see if there was any mention of a Paris 69 Pre FM upgrade and there was none, I started to look each day since then and no mention was forthcoming I started to wonder if something was wrong, had all talk of it been banned or was it just something everyone knew about, so Yesterday I decided enough was enough and that I ought to mention it for the good of all just in case, now I'm glad I did because it appears there's lots of folk who knew nothing about it.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
Dave 2.0 has it on his site now - flac.

Hi Otto. Peachy show this one, you can hear exactly how much trouble the French recording engineers had with recording Zep at concert volume.... drastic volume changes on the tape.

Now where's that Iceland 1970 soundboard? :D

Hi Otto. Peachy show this one, you can hear exactly how much trouble the French recording engineers had with recording Zep at concert volume.... drastic volume changes on the tape.

Now where's that Iceland 1970 soundboard? :D

:yesnod: It's really great!

Damn, I so wish there was a recording of the show here. Icelandic TV was there, filming portions of the show, but it just seems unlikely they still have anything apart from the bits we have already seen.

:yesnod: It's really great!

Damn, I so wish there was a recording of the show here. Icelandic TV was there, filming portions of the show, but it just seems unlikely they still have anything apart from the bits we have already seen.

I would not be surprised if there is a recording of the show in Iceland,actually. It's just my own speculation but it would make sense that a good recording from this show exists as the band was in 'documentary' mode at that time.

Here are a few videos from the news crew I'm sure most have seen by now.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/fs...nt=59763fef.flv

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/fs...9da73b4bb45.flv

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/fs...inAssortedM.flv

And here are the rest of the videos ( so far B) )

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/fs...DEOS/?start=all

Thanks everyone for the info. I just received a copy with the d.j. chatter and it is great to know there is a "cleaner" version of this show out there. I love the GTBT/C.Breakdown opener, HMMTimes closer and, of course, the fantastice version of Heartbreaker. Could do without the Frenchie though! <_<

• 8 years later...

On Jimmy's website today (Oct 10, 2017) he includes a link to a video of Communication Breakdown of this show.  Well, the link says "Watch this performance".  When you click the link you get this

which says it has over 41,000 views.  But the first screen before you click play clearly shows the French TV clip from June 1969.  Did Jimmy really mean "watch a video from the performance on French TV earlier that year"?  He almost gave me a heart attack by saying he had a link to a video of Paris 1969.

....and is now down due to copyright infringement. says INA - Institut National de l'Audiovisuel  took it down.

Maybe they have the footage. LOL!

I have this boot but have not listened yet. Just took a peek. Holy shit, it's proper brilliant quality! I'll have to find the time now.

8 hours ago, rm2551 said:

....and is now down due to copyright infringement. says INA - Institut National de l'Audiovisuel  took it down.

Maybe they have the footage. LOL!

I have this boot but have not listened yet. Just took a peek. Holy shit, it's proper brilliant quality! I'll have to find the time now.

You’ll have to share a copy with me mate

Archived