Equipment questions

Jimmy used a few les pauls...

the black beauty 3 pickup w/bigsby

DSCF0190.jpg

THE les paul (the same one that they keep making signature models of)

DSCF0108.jpg

the red les paul

DSCF0492.jpg

the doubleneck

DSCF0406.jpg

and a nice semi hollow Gibson

DSCF0144.jpg

I dont think i heard any harmonica from mr plant, although i could just not be remembering correctly.

Amp wise...

from what i saw jimmy had 4 orange heads (only 2 were turned on)

2 1959 SLP marshalls (1 turned on)

and 2 Petersburg heads (again 1 turned on)

DSCF0622.jpg

I assume he doubled up on the heads as a backup for any scenario.

Cabwise it seemed like they were 4 marshall cabs, with the obligatory Zoso Cab.

JPJ - im unsure, but some kind of korg... unreadble from the image:

DSCF0439.jpg

As for PA, i have no idea.

Jimmy used a few les pauls...

the black beauty 3 pickup w/bigsby

DSCF0190.jpg

THE les paul (the same one that they keep making signature models of)

DSCF0108.jpg

the red les paul

DSCF0492.jpg

the doubleneck

DSCF0406.jpg

DSCF0144.jpg

I dont think i heard any harmonica from mr plant, although i could just not be remembering correctly.

NICE WORK ! I really like the Black Beauty model - totally deserves its name... :)

Brilliant info and pix. It's obvious, with the doubling of the amp heads that they really WERE worried about this gig and must have worked their balls off to make it as amazing as it was.

It's brilliant that there's been a 99.9999999% approval feedback rating from everybody interested and involved.

Love all of those guitars but I think the red has it for me.

This is all I know of Jimmy's gear for the reunion show:

Gibson LP #1 - standard tuning -1 tone (D)

Gibson LP #2 - standard tuning

Gibson ES350 - open G

Gibson LP Custom "Black Beauty" (3 p/u, Bigsby custom 6 way switch) - standard tuning

Gibson EDS1275 - both necks standard tuning -1 tone (D)

Gibson LP (cherry b-bender) - DADGAD

Giffen LP - standard tuning -1 tone (D) bow

Transperformance LP - standard tuning

2 x Orange AD?? (gtrs)

2 x Petersburg JP-100 (gtrs)

2 x Marshall SLP 1959 (gtrs)

2 x Orange AD?? (theremin)

Pete Cornish Input Selector and Line Driver (off stage)

Pete Cornish pedalboard comprising -

Amp "Lead" switch

MXR Phase 90

Yamaha CH-10Mk II Chorus

Boss CE-2 Chorus

Cry Baby Wah-Wah

Digitec WH-1 Whammy

Linear Boost

Send / Return to Spare FX #1

Send / Return to Spare FX #2

Send / Return to Echoplex EP3

There was a 2nd Whammy balanced atop the pedalboard, I don't know why

DSCF0144.jpg

I'm pretty sure I saw and heard Mr. Plant playing harp on Nobody's Fault But Mine. I'll be honest with you: I mostly kept my beady little eyes focused on one James P. Page -- that was my first time seeing The Man play live. He was enthralling, plus it was neat to pick up on these little quirks that a filmed performance can't quite translate: like the way his left foot is often pointing up when he's playing a tricky passage; the way he plays with his body orientated to his left; raising his right hand to indicate to Jason when his solo is wrapping up, etc.

BTW, has Jimmy ever played that semi-hollow Gibson onstage before?

Most of that info is readily available w/ a little searching ;)

JBs kit:

Ludwig Yellow Vistalite

26"x14" Kick Drum

14"x10" Mounted Tom

16"x16" Floor Tom

18"x16" Floor Tom

36" Timpani

Snare ???

Zildjian Cymbals

14" High Hats

16" Crash

18" Crash

24" Ride

42" Gong

JPJ

Andy Manson custom

Fender Precision (year??)

SWR SM-900 amp

cabs ?? (used to use SWR Goliath/Big Ben)

Korg Oasys

Novation ?? synth

no idea what bass pedals he was using

JBs kit:

Ludwig Yellow Vistalite

26"x14" Kick Drum

14"x10" Mounted Tom

16"x16" Floor Tom

18"x16" Floor Tom

36" Timpani

Snare ???

Zildjian Cymbals

14" High Hats

16" Crash

18" Crash

24" Ride

42" Gong

JPJ

Andy Manson custom

SWR SM-900 amp

Korg Oasys

Novation ?? synth

JPJ used a Korg Oasys and a Korg X50

JP had 4 Orange AD200B heads in addition to the Marshalls and the Petersburgs. During rehearsal he had ENGL cabs which did not appear in the concert. I was wondering if the zoso sign was covering the engl cab or he replaced the cab

can you help me ? Why is on Pages ORANGE only the letter OR' and 'GE', i miss the 'AN' from the ORANGE-word....

thank you from Austria

Give me an O, give me an R, give me a G, give me an E.... what's that spell?!

ORGE! (orgy?)

sometimes guys cover up brand names for personal reasons... one of which could be they don't want to appear like they are 'endorsing' them.

Just a guess.

I thought it was funny that it kind of spelled out orgy.... rock and roll!

Jason's snare was a Ludwig Supraphonic (402) chrome over aluminum (called "Luddaloy" back in the day). It's 6.5"x14", and with ten lugs. It's the exact same model that his daddy used and is still being made exactly like it was in the early 70's. Pappa Bonham used Remo heads on the drum (the toms and kick as well): An Emperor coated batter head (which is 2-ply)on top, with an Ambassador clear snare head on the bottom. I'm not sure what Junior uses for heads; they sounded different to my ears but it could just be the way he tunes them (and the mics and sound). Anyway, he sure sounded great monday night. The King is dead, long live the King and all that.

--LG

JBs kit:

Ludwig Yellow Vistalite

26"x14" Kick Drum

14"x10" Mounted Tom

16"x16" Floor Tom

18"x16" Floor Tom

36" Timpani

Snare ???

Zildjian Cymbals

14" High Hats

16" Crash

18" Crash

24" Ride

42" Gong

JPJ

Andy Manson custom

SWR SM-900 amp

Korg Oasys

Novation ?? synth

I'm not sure what video clip I saw it in but Jimmy is using what appears to be one of the Gibson signature models and not his original Les Paul for at least one song. If you sort through the clips there is a quick shot of the back of the headstock on one of the sunburst LP's and it has an inked on serial number.

Brilliant info and pix. It's obvious, with the doubling of the amp heads that they really WERE worried about this gig and must have worked their balls off to make it as amazing as it was.

It's brilliant that there's been a 99.9999999% approval feedback rating from everybody interested and involved.

Love all of those guitars but I think the red has it for me.

I hope they shot the soundboard engineer afterwards for f-ing up the first few songs. Seems like Zep and Murphy's law always go hand in hand.

BTW, JPJ used a fretless with a maple fingerboard on IMTOD. One of the few Zep songs that features fretless. He used to use an electric upright bass live on Bron-Yr-Aur. And he used a 10-string on Nobody's Fault. I wish he had also used the 10-string on more songs. Black Dog, GTBT, and WLL would have worked well. At least the 10-string has stereo wiring which I'm sure will sound great in 5.1. I love the fact that JPJ now has a very simple keyboard setup compared to the old days due to modern technology.

I'm not sure what video clip I saw it in but Jimmy is using what appears to be one of the Gibson signature models and not his original Les Paul for at least one song. If you sort through the clips there is a quick shot of the back of the headstock on one of the sunburst LP's and it has an inked on serial number.

I looked closely at every video for guitars and saw no signiture model. But you never know the new ones do look alot like the old ones these days. Gibson is doing a good job , Even their production models are really good .

I looked closely at every video for guitars and saw no signiture model. But you never know the new ones do look alot like the old ones these days. Gibson is doing a good job , Even their production models are really good .

well, jimmy used different tunings, B benders guitar, tremolo guitar, transperformer(auto tuning)

double neck, and the hollow body electric that he used on in my time of dying, for example, uses a different tuning than normal, and the hollow body sound made it sound like more of a true delta blues tune....awesome****

Archived