Dallas April 1 1977

jesusmurphy

...some people say this show is not in circulation.

Yet there are recordings/boots purported to be this show. The Sessions Database site has a decidedly fuzzy sample of "Nobody's Fault But Mine" from this date. Not really enough to determine if it is indeed the Dallas performance, but the sample didn't seem to match any of the available '77 recordings I've heard (all of 'em.)

Does anyone know what the story is behind this "April Fools Day" boot? Is it genuine or a fraud? I'm curious, 'cos as a '77 completist, if Dallas is the real deal, I'd like to track it down somehow...

...some people say this show is not in circulation.

Yet there are recordings/boots purported to be this show. The Sessions Database site has a decidedly fuzzy sample of "Nobody's Fault But Mine" from this date. Not really enough to determine if it is indeed the Dallas performance, but the sample didn't seem to match any of the available '77 recordings I've heard (all of 'em.)

Does anyone know what the story is behind this "April Fools Day" boot? Is it genuine or a fraud? I'm curious, 'cos as a '77 completist, if Dallas is the real deal, I'd like to track it down somehow...

Sure I obtained this the weekend? I'll check tonight when I get home.

Nah, Just looked and I haven't got this one

That's what I'm trying to find out, if the thing's actually a fraud or not (my apologies for sounding both biased and bitter, but the term 'Reliable sources' seems like a bit of a misnomer when it comes to Zeppelin boots...)

If the show wasn't taped, where the shit did the NBFBM sample I heard come from? According to the "Led Zeppelin Sessions Database":

"April Fools Day"

Label: Unknown

Venue: Memorial Center

Date: 04/01/1977

Sound Rating: M/AD/4

Media Type/Number:

CD 2

Artwork Available: Yes

Recording Information:

This is one of those sets that are for completests only. The sound is barely audible. There is also quite a bit of discussion on this set of it's actual origin.

Track Listing:

Disc One:

1. The Song Remains The Same

2. Sick Again

3. Nobody's Fault But Mine

4. In MY Time Of Dying

5. Since I've Been Loving You

Disc Two:

1. No Quarter

2.Ten Years Gone

3.The Battle Of Evermore

4. Going To California

Like I say, I can't place the sound from the sample as being from any other '77 show, although to give it a 4/10 rating on SQ would indeed be accurate...almost up there with Atlanta or -god help us- Tempe in the poor quality department.

Bottom line: could it be genuine or yet another fraud perpetrated on Led Zeppelin collectors?

• 2 months later...

What, you mean like the fraud YOU were trying to perpetuate on Led Zeppelin collectors regarding the Baton Rouge '77 show???? Sorry, Jesus, you deserve to be fucking crucified for how you fucked that up...and I know where the hammer and the nails are!!!! Your bigmouth meddling cost us fans and collectors the opportunity to ever hear that show. You ought to be made persona non grata amongst the Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones communities, and deservedly so.

What, you mean like the fraud YOU were trying to perpetuate on Led Zeppelin collectors regarding the Baton Rouge '77 show???? Sorry, Jesus, you deserve to be fucking crucified for how you fucked that up...and I know where the hammer and the nails are!!!! Your bigmouth meddling cost us fans and collectors the opportunity to ever hear that show. You ought to be made persona non grata amongst the Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones communities, and deservedly so.

Who are you at "the Hotel?" I've seen you elsewhere, but not there. Just curious. Yep, JM sure got freezer all pissed off over at TTD.

• 3 months later...
I've only heard allusions to this incident...could someone fill me in? I'm a long time collector of boots so this is interesting to me...

Well, as far as the Dallas part goes, someone took the Landover 25 May "Your Teenage Dream" recording, chopped it up and fucked with the sound (not that it's the best sounding recording in the first place) and passed it off as Dallas. Typical of some of the unscruplous bootleggers out there. Kudos to some of the experts over at RO for sorting this out for me, by the way...I'm a '77 collector/completist; I love that tour despite the peaks and valleys. (3 Hours, you'll know me at the Hotel and the Den as 'hugofuguzev'...say it out loud, and you'll see why I wasn't sure if that moniker would fly over here... :P )

As for Baton Rouge...the dude who taped it was ready to offer it up to the masses until some bonehead (the guy who started this particular thread) blabbed it all over the internet that the show was coming out. Of course the bootleg companies found out about it, and since the taper hates bootleggers with a completely justifiable passion, decided not to share the show. Of course, I sorta tipped Freezer (the taper) off about what was happening...sorta felt I owed him one: he's quite a character, and I've been digging his recordings for years- I didn't want to see him get fucked over by the bootleggers again. Who knows? Maybe Baton Rouge -and Dallas, for that matter- will see the light of day someday but I find I'm getting less than optimistic about it in my old age...

Well, as far as the Dallas part goes, someone took the Landover 25 May "Your Teenage Dream" recording, chopped it up and fucked with the sound (not that it's the best sounding recording in the first place) and passed it off as Dallas. Typical of some of the unscruplous bootleggers out there. Kudos to some of the experts over at RO for sorting this out for me, by the way...I'm a '77 collector/completist; I love that tour despite the peaks and valleys. (3 Hours, you'll know me at the Hotel and the Den as 'hugofuguzev'...say it out loud, and you'll see why I wasn't sure if that moniker would fly over here... :P )

As for Baton Rouge...the dude who taped it was ready to offer it up to the masses until some bonehead (the guy who started this particular thread) blabbed it all over the internet that the show was coming out. Of course the bootleg companies found out about it, and since the taper hates bootleggers with a completely justifiable passion, decided not to share the show. Of course, I sorta tipped Freezer (the taper) off about what was happening...sorta felt I owed him one: he's quite a character, and I've been digging his recordings for years- I didn't want to see him get fucked over by the bootleggers again. Who knows? Maybe Baton Rouge -and Dallas, for that matter- will see the light of day someday but I find I'm getting less than optimistic about it in my old age...

Ahh, I do know you now. I agree with your assertion that Freezer is quite a character. I have learned many a new colorful adjective from him.

He was ready to "offer it up to the MASSES". But, what-only certain masses? I don't get it. It's either out there or it ain't, and if it ain't he's the proverbial, despised, tape-hoarder, right? Seriously, I'm confused

Freezer apparently gave a copy of the BR '77 show to the admin of a music trading site, for them to upload at their leisure...with the caveat that they weren't obligated to upload it at all if they chose not to; Freezer's Zeppelin recordings have caused quite a few brouhahas at this site in the past. Point is, had it have been uploaded there, inevitably the torrent would eventually make its way around to all the other trading/torrent sites. Hence "The Masses". And, of course, some bootlegger would have downloaded the thing, pressed it to Silvers and made a few bucks off of it...and THAT is what Freezer has the problem with. Can't say that I blame him: he's an old school TRADER who strongly resents bootleggers making money off of his recordings. Therefore, he has every right to hoard his recordings. People get pissed at Freezer 'cos they know he has the goods but won't cough 'em up, but those people can't see it from his perspective; they just want his recordings. Like I said, I like the guy, he's hilarious...and more importantly, he's far from stupid.

I was at the Dallas 4-1-77 show.....

Jimmy hadn't picked up a guitar for a month.

This was an OK, but not a great show, by Zeppelin standards.

They were rusty, and it showed. Robert even comments at one point in the show :

"Thanks for coming to our Dress Rehearsal ..."

If there was a recording of that Tour Opener, I really wouldn't listen.....

They more than made up for it though, when they swung back in to town in Aptil for the rescheduled Ft. Worth show...... :D

I've know about the fradulence of the 4/1/77 show for a while...they always chop up the shitty sounding Landover show, as mentioned above...typically there is a bottle crash near the taper that can tip you off...

Regarding Freezer, I'd heard he had the Zeppelin '77 Baton Rouge show as well as a Who show from there from 1975 or 76 (can't remember)...didn't know about all this shit with it being leaked and whatnot. I have the '73 and '75 shows he taped (they are his, yes?) and they are excellent!

I hope when things die down he will decide to share with us TRADERS again...

And there are a lot more shows out there just waiting to surface...assuming morons like the whistleblower don't screw it up for the rest of us!

Interesting...thanks for the info. I know who Freezer is, never seen him on boards though...(pardon my ignorance, what is the Hotel? I know the Den but not the Hotel...)

• 3 months later...

Linked in from the other thread

Freezer apparently gave a copy of the BR '77 show to the admin of a music trading site, for them to upload at their leisure...with the caveat that they weren't obligated to upload it at all if they chose not to; Freezer's Zeppelin recordings have caused quite a few brouhahas at this site in the past. Point is, had it have been uploaded there, inevitably the torrent would eventually make its way around to all the other trading/torrent sites. Hence "The Masses". And, of course, some bootlegger would have downloaded the thing, pressed it to Silvers and made a few bucks off of it...and THAT is what Freezer has the problem with. Can't say that I blame him: he's an old school TRADER who strongly resents bootleggers making money off of his recordings. Therefore, he has every right to hoard his recordings. People get pissed at Freezer 'cos they know he has the goods but won't cough 'em up, but those people can't see it from his perspective; they just want his recordings. Like I said, I like the guy, he's hilarious...and more importantly, he's far from stupid.

How exactly does this Jesus guy telling a few people the recording was coming out have any effect on that? if a new Zep show is circulated it will almost definately be made into a boot whether it gets a bit more hype or not.

Linked in from the other thread

How exactly does this Jesus guy telling a few people the recording was coming out have any effect on that? if a new Zep show is circulated it will almost definately be made into a boot whether it gets a bit more hype or not.

This is getting to be an old story...from what I've been able to figure out, this Jesus character blabbed that Baton Rouge '77 was coming out to just about ever Zeppelin and music related forum on the internet- that's more than just a few people. Bootleg companies more or less employ people to search out that kind of information, and that's precisely what happened. I'm known to peruse a site that reviews new silver bootlegs, right? Well, a new Zeppelin only label called The Chronicles Of Led Zeppelin (TCOLZ) popped up about a year and a half ago...on this review site there was a review of a TCOLZ boot, and in the review the TCOLZ rep or whoever actually said that TCOLZ was monitoring the site where Freezer shares out most of his stuff, waiting for the BR '77 show to emerge so they could download it, press it and be the first on the block to sell it. Well, I read that, and was like, "Oh shit..." So I went to the torrent site and basically warned everybody what was going to happen, with a link to the review and everything. In a nutshell, everything Freezer said would happen with his uncirculating Zeppelin stuff was going to happen again- some ratbastard bootlegger would get hold of it and sell the damned thing. Freezer's had to endure that enough already over the years, I'd reckon...I couldn't NOT let him know, you know? I could only imagine the shitstorm that would follow if BR '77 got bootlegged...some of the Zep trading veterans here would probably know what I'm talking about when it comes to Freezer's Zeppelin recordings...in the past, some of the discussions have gotten a little, er, heated- to the point where the discussion threads were bringing some undue and unneccesary attention to the torrent site, which the administrators would understandably like to avoid.

...Of course, as I've said elsewhere, for all we know the whole thing about sharing out Baton Rouge '77 could have been just an elaborate and decidedly twisted April Fools Day joke on Freezer's part; after all, he said he'd sent a copy of the recording out on April 1 2008. Me, I don't believe 100% that anything previously uncirculated is coming out into circulation until I've actually downloaded it, saved it, and have burned it to CD, cranked it up on the stereo and sparked up a nice big fatty to enhance the initial listening experience! :D

This is getting to be an old story...from what I've been able to figure out, this Jesus character blabbed that Baton Rouge '77 was coming out to just about ever Zeppelin and music related forum on the internet- that's more than just a few people. Bootleg companies more or less employ people to search out that kind of information, and that's precisely what happened. I'm known to peruse a site that reviews new silver bootlegs, right? Well, a new Zeppelin only label called The Chronicles Of Led Zeppelin (TCOLZ) popped up about a year and a half ago...on this review site there was a review of a TCOLZ boot, and in the review the TCOLZ rep or whoever actually said that TCOLZ was monitoring the site where Freezer shares out most of his stuff, waiting for the BR '77 show to emerge so they could download it, press it and be the first on the block to sell it. Well, I read that, and was like, "Oh shit..." So I went to the torrent site and basically warned everybody what was going to happen, with a link to the review and everything. In a nutshell, everything Freezer said would happen with his uncirculating Zeppelin stuff was going to happen again- some ratbastard bootlegger would get hold of it and sell the damned thing. Freezer's had to endure that enough already over the years, I'd reckon...I couldn't NOT let him know, you know? I could only imagine the shitstorm that would follow if BR '77 got bootlegged...some of the Zep trading veterans here would probably know what I'm talking about when it comes to Freezer's Zeppelin recordings...in the past, some of the discussions have gotten a little, er, heated- to the point where the discussion threads were bringing some undue and unneccesary attention to the torrent site, which the administrators would understandably like to avoid.

...Of course, as I've said elsewhere, for all we know the whole thing about sharing out Baton Rouge '77 could have been just an elaborate and decidedly twisted April Fools Day joke on Freezer's part; after all, he said he'd sent a copy of the recording out on April 1 2008. Me, I don't believe 100% that anything previously uncirculated is coming out into circulation until I've actually downloaded it, saved it, and have burned it to CD, cranked it up on the stereo and sparked up a nice big fatty to enhance the initial listening experience! :D

As I said though I don't think him spreading the word would have any effect at all if the show was going to be released to the general fanbase, over the net such things are too easy to monitor and pickup for the bootleggers to miss them.

As I said though I don't think him spreading the word would have any effect at all if the show was going to be released to the general fanbase, over the net such things are too easy to monitor and pickup for the bootleggers to miss them.

Very true...still, I find myself more and more convinced that the whole thing was an elaborate joke on Freezer's part. I do know this, though: just based on some of the decidedly 'heated' discussions over at the torrent site, Freezer has given out copies of Baton Rouge '77 -or at least his "Zeppelin Sampler" disc that has select cuts from all four of his Zeppelin recordings- to at least a couple of people, two or three years back. People who are friends of his, who had his back when things were getting heavy, that kind of thing. And these people aren't coughing up, either (probably because Freezer told them explicitly NOT to). That's the way it goes...

Like I've said before, I like Freezer, and can understand where he's coming from, vis-a-vis his contempt for the bootleggers, but at the same time, his constant gloating about all his uncirculating recordings "that WE'LL never hear!" doesn't help matters much, either. Overall I'd say we'd've been much better off if we didn't know there was a guy out there hoarding two undoubtedly kick ass Zeppelin recordings...and, unfortunately, hoarded I think they will remain. C'est La Vie, I suppose.

Very true...still, I find myself more and more convinced that the whole thing was an elaborate joke on Freezer's part. I do know this, though: just based on some of the decidedly 'heated' discussions over at the torrent site, Freezer has given out copies of Baton Rouge '77 -or at least his "Zeppelin Sampler" disc that has select cuts from all four of his Zeppelin recordings- to at least a couple of people, two or three years back. People who are friends of his, who had his back when things were getting heavy, that kind of thing. And these people aren't coughing up, either (probably because Freezer told them explicitly NOT to). That's the way it goes...

Like I've said before, I like Freezer, and can understand where he's coming from, vis-a-vis his contempt for the bootleggers, but at the same time, his constant gloating about all his uncirculating recordings "that WE'LL never hear!" doesn't help matters much, either. Overall I'd say we'd've been much better off if we didn't know there was a guy out there hoarding two undoubtedly kick ass Zeppelin recordings...and, unfortunately, hoarded I think they will remain. C'est La Vie, I suppose.

Agreed...I've corresponded with him a bunch and he seems like a good bloke but to keep telling us we're never gonna hear the BR '77 show is kind of aggravating at this point...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to get into the whole Jesus/Freezer debate...I don't know who they are and I don't frequent torrent sharing sites because I don't download music from the computer.

I want to get back to the original point of the thread: the April 1, 1977 Dallas concert and whether the show is in circulation.

This was Led Zeppelin's first concert(after many reschedulings of the 1977 tour) in TWO YEARS! I find it hard, no, IMPOSSIBLE to believe that there weren't not just one, but multiple tapers in the audience for the Dallas show! The demand for a bootleg from this opening show of the 1977 US tour would have been off the charts, as by 1977 Led Zeppelin reigned supreme.

So maybe the show isn't in circulation, but I can pretty much guarantee you that tapes exist of this show somewhere...SOMEBODY taped it! I mean, this was America, not bloody England where tapers seemed to often be asleep at the wheel when it came to Zeppelin(probably too busy boo-hoo-hooing over the loss of Cream).

Just my two cents.

I'm not going to get into the whole Jesus/Freezer debate...I don't know who they are and I don't frequent torrent sharing sites because I don't download music from the computer.

I want to get back to the original point of the thread: the April 1, 1977 Dallas concert and whether the show is in circulation.

This was Led Zeppelin's first concert(after many reschedulings of the 1977 tour) in TWO YEARS! I find it hard, no, IMPOSSIBLE to believe that there weren't not just one, but multiple tapers in the audience for the Dallas show! The demand for a bootleg from this opening show of the 1977 US tour would have been off the charts, as by 1977 Led Zeppelin reigned supreme.

So maybe the show isn't in circulation, but I can pretty much guarantee you that tapes exist of this show somewhere...SOMEBODY taped it! I mean, this was America, not bloody England where tapers seemed to often be asleep at the wheel when it came to Zeppelin(probably too busy boo-hoo-hooing over the loss of Cream).

Just my two cents.

Even more amazing to me is that the NYC MSG 77 shows are so poorly represented. Six shows at the most famous arena in the U.S. with 20,000 fans per night, and only a scattering of mediocre to lousy audience recordings, one 45 minute soundboard fragment, and a fair audience video. I only wish I knew that security was going to be so lax, I would have brought in a recorder myself to the first night.

I'd still love to hear a full soundboard from NYC 77, preferably 6/7. Who knows, maybe some day.

Even more amazing to me is that the NYC MSG 77 shows are so poorly represented. Six shows at the most famous arena in the U.S. with 20,000 fans per night, and only a scattering of mediocre to lousy audience recordings, one 45 minute soundboard fragment, and a fair audience video. I only wish I knew that security was going to be so lax, I would have brought in a recorder myself to the first night.

I'd still love to hear a full soundboard from NYC 77, preferably 6/7. Who knows, maybe some day.

The first night actually has a really fine tape.

Archived