Songs, band or artists you're afraid to admit you like

danelectro59

....very interesting, I adored Freddie Mercury in the 70's...and I still do, but Freddie remained very mysterious about himself. I was always in search of my own I.D. in East/West culture, and Freddie never mentioned in print who he truly was, later when I found out who he was, he confirmed my worst fears, that it is not O.K. to be yourself....you must be embarrassed? somehow about who you are....I deeply love his vocal chords...anyhow, I also like to give Freddie the benefit of doubt, maybe he never felt the need to reveal himself...but I don't think that is how he was viewed, certainly not by me when I was becoming an adult.......

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/a...cury/biography/

Ethnicity  Mercury has been criticized f

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/a...0FKr0oEQT&B' alt='a>'>

I think the best advice is always to guide yourself. Follow your instincts and do what is right for you. No one is perfect, and everyone has baggage and issues, even rock stars.

I think the best advice is always to guide yourself. Follow your instincts and do what is right for you. No one is perfect, and everyone has baggage and issues, even rock stars.

....and I think you have really said it most excellently. I also think parents can contribute great deal. I will also say this from my experience, my parents were not in a position to understand how culturally I was changing, but now as the world is changing more globally, there is opportunity to test/gain confidence........cheers :D

• 1 year later...

I'm really proud of my music collection, although, I have made some rather silly choices when I was little (in my pre-teens).

Nevertheless, I am replying to this thread because it's pretty interesting! B)

I like the following artists where on mentioning them, some of my friends have turned up their noses but I honestly couldn't care :lol:

Lipps Inc (Yep! This is the band who created tunes like "Funky Town" :D Yeah! I like disco! Deal with it! :P)

ABBA (My mom is a huge fan too! We are both proud, to be honest! :wub:)

The Bee Gees (I think they're cool! ;))

Daughtry (Yes! I know that Chris Daughtry was an American Idol contestant but this band kicks ass!)

Kelly Clarkson (One of the best female vocalists in my opinion!)

I listened to a ton of 80s stuff back then. Adam Ant, The Fixx, Madness, olden day Ministry, Haircut 100, The Cure (still listen to them a lot), Violent Femmes, Siouxsie and the Banshees. Even now, I will burst into song still if I hear Tears for Fears :lol: (much to my kids' horror and shame).

But my favorite in the mid 80s was Howard Jones; I had all of his 80s albums. :blush:

I'm not embarrassed about the Zac Brown Band, but I know Keith Urban and Sugarland are iffy here. :unsure:

Edited by Virginia

I listened to a ton of 80s stuff back then. Adam Ant, The Fixx, Madness, olden day Ministry, Haircut 100, The Cure (still listen to them a lot), Violent Femmes, Siouxsie and the Banshees. Even now, I will burst into song still if I hear Tears for Fears :lol: (much to my kids' horror and shame).

But my favorite in the mid 80s was Howard Jones; I had all of his 80s albums. :blush:

Nothing the matter at all with some of those bands (especially The Cure & the Violent Femmes). Lots of folks here seem to be anti-80s but evidently their only exposure to music was the synth heavy bands MTV played to death (which commercial radio eventually picked up on).

I'm not embarrassed about the Zac Brown Band, but I know Keith Urban and Sugarland are iffy here. :unsure:

I just heard a great quote about Taylor Swift (not that you even mentioned her but it seems to fit) on NPR's Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me where Lucinda Williams (probably best known for "Passionate Kisses" which was a hit for Mary Chapin-Carpenter back in the 80s) is a guest: "If Taylor Swift were to sing a Lucinda song she's burst into flames". I guess there's nothing the matter with those artists you mentioned but they represent the homogenized edge of what's popular in country music today. I'm a Jimmy Buffett fan and recently saw the episode of Crossroads he did with Zac Brown on CMT. Not bad but he seems to be the country music version of the Dave Matthews Band and attracts the very same kind of frat boy crowd. Just not my thing...

I just heard a great quote about Taylor Swift (not that you even mentioned her but it seems to fit) on NPR's Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me where Lucinda Williams (probably best known for "Passionate Kisses" which was a hit for Mary Chapin-Carpenter back in the 80s) is a guest: "If Taylor Swift were to sing a Lucinda song she's burst into flames". I guess there's nothing the matter with those artists you mentioned but they represent the homogenized edge of what's popular in country music today. I'm a Jimmy Buffett fan and recently saw the episode of Crossroads he did with Zac Brown on CMT. Not bad but he seems to be the country music version of the Dave Matthews Band and attracts the very same kind of frat boy crowd. Just not my thing...

My daughters love Taylor Swift, but I really don't care for her at all. I don't think there's any substance there and she doesn't sing well live (IMO at least). I really gained more appreciation for Keith and Sugarland after seeing them live. Keith is quite the blues guitarist, and Jennifer Nettles has an incredible voice (she has a gospel background). They are definitely more mainstream, but there's some genuine stuff underneath that.

I feel the same about Maroon 5 actually; there's a decent alt rock band lurking somewhere underneath all that synth and falsetto; I wish they would work with another producer and do something darker.

And I'm smiling over your Zac Brown comment; I am also a huge fan of DMB, so that's probably subconsciously one reason I enjoy ZBB so much :lol: Around here he (Zac) has more of a genuine country base than frat boy'ish, but I do see your point. I just really love a good jam band :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am a huge fan of "The Bangles" B)

Not a damn thing the matter with The Bangles, "Going Down To Liverpool" is one of my favorites from the Paisley Pop era. They even made it onto the Children Of Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era box set which is probably the closest we'll ever get to a Paisley Pop collection.

Not a damn thing the matter with The Bangles, "Going Down To Liverpool" is one of my favorites from the Paisley Pop era. They even made it onto the Children Of Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era box set which is probably the closest we'll ever get to a Paisley Pop collection.

Yep! You got that right! B)

It's just that I have been confronted for actually liking "The Bangles" with the "Oh! They were so 80's argument!". To me, that is rather laughable! :lol:

And how on earth did you know that "Going Down To Liverpool" is one of my fav songs by "The Bangles"? :D

Thanks for posting that!! :D:wub:

When you get to 45 years of age, you past caring what bands, music you like and what others would. I lov all genres of music and also I do not, there is good and bad in them all. Who hasn't liked at least one Abba tune ??...just one maybe, their last album was a bit pants, but some of the early mid stuff had my foot tapping.

One fact that Abba and Zep have realated other than "Polar Studies" is they both had 8 straight number one albums on the trot (ter, Rodney), while both groups were officially together.

When you have got to "51", it's more about the cloths & hairstyles your afraid to admit to :lol:

I am a big fan of the 60's, Herman's Hermits. :bagoverhead:

Having older sisters & Brothers heard lots of different music, would not admit to liking when I was younger, but now I don't give a hoot.

Wet,Wet,Wet.....:bagoverhead:

Edited by Fool In The Rain 60

When you have got to "51", it's more about the cloths & hairstyles your afraid to admit to :lol:

I am a big fan of the 60's, Herman's Hermits. :bagoverhead:

Ouch well the 80's was the decade fashion forgot :slapface:. Hey nothing wrong with "Hermits" my dear as our very own JPJ played on some of his stuff :)

Edited by leddy

Ouch well the 80's was the decade fashion forgot :slapface:. Hey nothing wrong with "Hermits" my dear as our very own JPJ played on some of his stuff :)

When you were in your early 20's and everybody else is bopping away to the "Charts" it was quite embarrassing. My friends would never allow me to choose the music on the Jukebox. :)

As JPJ had never heard of him tell I met Mr Fool, and it then took me about 10 years to really get the Zep thing.

Have you still got photographic evidence of your fashion mistakes :lol: I threw out all mine, because that in one thing I would never own up too.

The only thing I have is a snap when I had a perm :bagoverhead: Only because my new born son is in it..:blush:

When you were in your early 20's and everybody else is bopping away to the "Charts" it was quite embarrassing. My friends would never allow me to choose the music on the Jukebox. :)

As JPJ had never heard of him tell I met Mr Fool, and it then took me about 10 years to really get the Zep thing.

Have you still got photographic evidence of your fashion mistakes :lol: I threw out all mine, because that in one thing I would never own up too.

The only thing I have is a snap when I had a perm :bagoverhead: Only because my new born son is in it..:blush:

He has good taste "Mr :D Fool"

We all have fashion faux pas in our locker :slapface: .