Happy vs. Sad Songs

MightyZep

Way too many... i will start with only a few. Happy songs: "Happy"... Keith and the Rolling Stones :) , "Doing The Unstuck"... The Cure, "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"... The Beatles.

Sad songs (a much longer list for me): "Ripples".... Genesis, "Song To The Siren".... Robert Plant, "Thank You"... Led Zeppelin, "New York City Serenade"... Bruce and the E Street Band, "Layla"... Derek and the Dominos

For me:

Happiest/Feelin good song: Salsbury Hill- Peter Gabriel :D

Saddest song: Against the Wind- Bob Seger (great song but terribly sad for me :( )

I like the song Against the Wind, too. It doesn't make me sad, but Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight" does.

sorry to point this out, but as a huge fan of Peter, the title is "Solsbury Hill"

Thanks! ;)

You might enjoy this:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=393

Solsbury Hill

by

Peter Gabriel

Album: Peter Gabriel (first, car) Released: 1977

US Chart: 68 UK Chart: 13

Songfacts:

Gabriel wrote this about his break with Genesis and anticipation of his new challenge as a solo artist. He was inspired after seeing a Bruce Springsteen concert.

This was Gabriel's first single as a solo artist.

Built around an acoustic guitar riff, this song is much more simple and toned-down from his extravagant work with Genesis.

Even though this didn't have much chart success, it became a radio staple on various formats and remains popular. The timelessness of the song can be attributed to the fact that it was never overplayed by radio stations.

Gabriel used an unusual 7/4 time signature on this. Another quirk: More instruments are added on each verse.

Gabriel considers this one of his favorites. It's almost always included in his live shows.

Solsbury Hill is located near Bath, England, where Gabriel would often walk or jog. According to legend, a temple was built there to honor Apollo, god of light, music, and poetry. Solsbury Hill was the focus of a long and bitter dispute in the 1990s between environmentalists and government concerning the construction of a 4 lane road which cuts deeply into the side of the hill. (thanks, Tim - Bath, England)

You might enjoy this:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=393

Solsbury Hill

by

Peter Gabriel

Album: Peter Gabriel (first, car) Released: 1977

US Chart: 68 UK Chart: 13

Songfacts:

Gabriel wrote this about his break with Genesis and anticipation of his new challenge as a solo artist. He was inspired after seeing a Bruce Springsteen concert.

This was Gabriel's first single as a solo artist.

Built around an acoustic guitar riff, this song is much more simple and toned-down from his extravagant work with Genesis.

Even though this didn't have much chart success, it became a radio staple on various formats and remains popular. The timelessness of the song can be attributed to the fact that it was never overplayed by radio stations.

Gabriel used an unusual 7/4 time signature on this. Another quirk: More instruments are added on each verse.

Gabriel considers this one of his favorites. It's almost always included in his live shows.

Solsbury Hill is located near Bath, England, where Gabriel would often walk or jog. According to legend, a temple was built there to honor Apollo, god of light, music, and poetry. Solsbury Hill was the focus of a long and bitter dispute in the 1990s between environmentalists and government concerning the construction of a 4 lane road which cuts deeply into the side of the hill. (thanks, Tim - Bath, England)

Interesting! Did they really cut through the hill like that? They got no shame... :thumbdown:

More songs for feelin good... Oh Yoko- John Lennon, In Your Eyes- Peter Gabriel, Tonight Tonight- The Smashing Pumpkins, Me and Julio Down By THe Schoolyard- Paul Simon, I'm Looking Through You- The Beatles, and (goin random here) Hey Ya!- Outkast

Some other sad... Cats in the Cradle- Cat Stevens, Hurt- the Johnny Cash cover version, Sonora's Death Row- Robert Earl Keen, Fast Car- Tracy Chapman, and Nothing Compares 2 U- Sinead O'Connor (written by Prince the Genious)

On the subject of Solsbury Hill, a local band named Glass Moon had a hit with it back in the 80s. If you're interested in reading more about them you can do so here. I also didn't realize there are so many covers of it.

Back to the topic at hand, happy songs? Anything with a banjo.

Sad songs? Any tune about a dog dying.

Happy: "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles; "Our House" by CS&N; "In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina McBride

Sad: "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You" by Stevie Nicks; "Full of Grace" by Sarah McLachlan

Happy: "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles; "Our House" by CS&N; "In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina McBride

Sad: "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You" by Stevie Nicks; "Full of Grace" by Sarah McLachlan

Love Stevie!

Ones that come to mind at the moment...

Happy: "Call Me the Breeze" - Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sharp Dressed Man" - ZZ Top, "Penny Lane" - The Beatles

Sad: "Angel" - Jamey Johnson, "Something in the Way" - Nirvana, "He Stopped Loving Her Today" - George Jones, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - Judy Garland

Happy: too many to count.

Sad: the one that makes me sad the most is "Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd.

Never been TOO big on Pink Floyd in general.. but Wish You Were Here is one of my ALL time favorite songs. Classic. Classic.

Another terrific sad song I recently thought of was Brick by Ben Folds Five. Another band I'm not too big on but they got that one song that is really moving.

sad: "Memory Motel" The Rolling Stones

"The Long and Winding Road" The Beatles

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "Ten Years Gone" "I'm Gonna Crawl" Led Zeppelin

"Question" The Moody Blues

"Can't Find My Way Home" Blind Faith

"Something I Can Never Have" Nine Inch Nails

"Silver Springs" Fleetwood Mac

"The Last Resort" The Eagles

"Afterglow" Genesis

"I Don't Care Anymore" Phil Collins

"Wallflower" Peter Gabriel

"A Letter To Elise" The Cure

"Drive All Night" Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

"Hey Jupiter" Tori Amos

"Last Goodbye" Jeff Buckley

"Song To The Siren" Tim Buckley

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" Simon and Garfunkle

"All I Know" Art Garfunkle

"We Just Disagree" Dave Mason

"Don't Kill The Whale" YES

"Epitaph" King Crimson

"Unchained Melody" The Righteous Brothers

"Walk Away Renee" The Left Bank

"Wrapped Around Your Finger" The Police

"Like A Hurricane" Neil Young

"Tuesdays Gone" Lynyrd Skynyrd

"The Song Is Over" The Who

Happy: "The Rain King" Counting Crows

"Hang Fire" The Rolling Stones

"Jumpin Jack Flash" The Rolling Stones

"Light My Fire" The Doors

"Out In The Street" Bruce

"My Generation" The Who

Sad:

The long and winding road...because when I heard it first as a child, my daddy told me this was one of the last Beatles songs...and I never heard it without crying.

Happy:

- Appreci Luv - Patrice

- Sun is shining - Bob Marley

- She moves in her own way - The Kooks

- Here comes the sun - Beatles ( and more Beatles songs than here is space to mention them)

- Going for the one - Yes

- Hymn to him - John McLaughlin (not a song, a universe)

- ANNA - Freundeskreis

- Bron-y-aur - Led Zeppelin

Uh, I seem to know a lot more happy than sad songs :- )

Sad: I Can't Make You Love Me, Bonnie Raitt; The Tracks of My Tears, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles; Wasted Time, the Eagles; Both Sides Now, Joni Mitchell; Broken Wings, Mr. Mister; The Show Must Go On, Queen :(

Happy: I'm Every Woman, Chaka Khan; Groovy Kind of Love, Phil Collins version; Shout! Isley Brothers(?); Ants Marching, DMB; You're the First, The Last, My Everything, Barry White; Let's Get it Started, Black Eyed Peas :)

Archived