Michael Jackson dies at 50

Michael Jackson has died at age 50 after being rushed to UCLA Medical Center, NBC News has confirmed.

Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Steve Ruda told the L.A. Times that Jackson was not breathing when paramedics arrived at his home and CPR was performed.

TMZ.com reported that he may have suffered cardiac arrest.

msnbc.msn.com/id/31552029/ns/entertainment-music/

Michael Jackson has died at age 50 after being rushed to UCLA Medical Center, NBC News has confirmed.

Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Steve Ruda told the L.A. Times that Jackson was not breathing when paramedics arrived at his home and CPR was performed.

TMZ.com reported that he may have suffered cardiac arrest.

msnbc.msn.com/id/31552029/ns/entertainment-music/

How's it going "eternal light?" I hope all is well with you. At first, I thought that the earlier reports were completely false but when the L.A. Times said earlier that Michael Jackson was alive, I figured that he would be ok. Now, I hear from the L.A. Times as well as NBC and CNN, that Michael Jackson is dead. I guess that that the Hospital staff did not want to release any information to the media until all of the family members were present at the Hospital. R.I.P. Michael Jackson. ROCK ON!

How's it going "eternal light?" I hope all is well with you. At first, I thought that the earlier reports were completely false but when the L.A. Times said earlier that Michael Jackson was alive, I figured that he would be ok. Now, I hear from the L.A. Times as well as NBC and CNN, that Michael Jackson is dead. I guess that that the Hospital staff did not want to release any information to the media until all of the family members were present at the Hospital. R.I.P. Michael Jackson. ROCK ON!

Hi ZeppFanForever, thank you and yourself? It's pretty shocking to hear this news on the same day that Farrah Fawcett has moved on.

Yes, the UCLA health press news links are accessible now, probably depending on how many users are trying to link at a given moment, but not saying much other than acknowledging media reports and announcing traffic controls.

I was able to successfully access the UCLA health press news link only once.

uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=46&oTopID=46

Media reports that Michael Jackson has died at UCLA Medical Center

By UCLA Newsroom

6/25/2009 3:35:41 PM

Police are blocking off some campus street access near Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center after unconfirmed reports that performer Michael Jackson died this afternoon in the hospital. If there is official news released by UCLA, it will be posted here at UCLA Newsroom.

newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/media-reports-that-michael-jackson-94914

They are probably not giving out much information to the general public at the moment, only through their approved lines of communication with public service authorities and the press would be my guess.

latimes.com/news/la-me-michael-jackson-dead26-2009jun26,0,6083460.story

The circumstances of Jackson's death remain unclear. Law enforcement sources said that Los Angeles Police Department robbery-homicide detectives have opened an investigation into the death, though they stressed there is no evidence of criminal wrongdoing. The detectives plan to interview relatives, friends and Jackson's doctors to try to figure out what happened. The L.A. County coroner's office will determine a cause of death.

reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE55O6AK20090626

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:19pm EDT

By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Michael Jackson, the child star turned King of Pop who set the world dancing but whose musical genius was overshadowed by a bizarre lifestyle and sex scandals, died on Thursday. He was 50.

Jackson was pronounced dead at about 2:26 p.m. PDT (5:26 EDT) after arriving at a Los Angeles hospital in full cardiac arrest, said Fred Corral of the Los Angeles County Coroner's office. The cause of death was not known and an autopsy would likely take place on Friday, he said.

Shocking...God bless him.

Two icons of my generation departed this earth today, it's very sad indeed. I was expecting Farrah's but Michael's has come as a complete shock. Both too young, they could be my siblings age-wise.....guess that's one reason it's hitting me extra hard today.....and I'm rambling so will just say RIP Michael & Farrah!

:(

Two icons of my generation departed this earth today, it's very sad indeed. I was expecting Farrah's but Michael's has come as a complete shock. Both too young, they could be my siblings age-wise.....guess that's one reason it's hitting me extra hard today.....and I'm rambling so will just say RIP Michael & Farrah!

:(

RIP

Statement on death of Michael Jackson from his brother Jermaine Jackson

By UCLA Newsroom| 6/25/2009 6:15:41 PM

This statement was released this evening at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center:

STATEMENT FROM JERMAINE JACKSON ON LEGENDARY KING OF POP, MICHAEL JACKSON

My brother, the legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson, passed away on Thursday, June 25, 2009, at 2:26 p.m. It is believed he suffered cardiac arrest in his home. However, the cause of his death is unknown until results of the autopsy are known.

His personal physician, who was with him at the time, attempted to resuscitate my brother, as did paramedics who transported him to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Upon arriving at the hospital at approximately 1:14 p.m., a team of highly skilled doctors, including emergency physicians and cardiologists, attempted to resuscitate him for a period of more than one hour but were unsuccessful. Our family requests that the media respect our privacy during this tragic period of time.

For more news, visit the UCLA Newsroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Statement on the death of Michael Jackson at UCLA Medical Center

By UCLA Newsroom

| 6/25/2009 7:05:41 PM

The legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson, passed away on Thursday, June 25, 2009, at 2:26 p.m. It is believed he suffered cardiac arrest in his home. However, the cause of his death is unknown until results of the autopsy are known. His personal physician, who was with him at the time, attempted to resuscitate Jackson, as did paramedics who transported him to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Upon arriving at the hospital at approximately 1:14 p.m., a team of doctors, including emergency physicians and cardiologists, attempted to resuscitate him for a period of more than one hour but were unsuccessful. Jackson's family requests that the media respect their privacy during this tragic period of time.

Hello:

I was watching BBC WORLD, CNN, CBC and CTV yesterday with the Breaking News that Michael was in hospital. I was hoping that he would be treated for cardiac arrest and recover. This was not to be.

The MUCH AND MUCH MORE MUSIC station started a program last eve. They played his videos, interviewed young Canadian musicians (born since 82) and took calls from fans who shared their thoughts. They are repeating the program early today. Thanks to VJ's, Sarah Taylor and Matt Wells. You both did well presenting news that was emotional for you to convey.

Today I am listening to tributes from celebrities and fans. Donald K. Donald, Canadian concert promoter, shared a story about Michael's concert in Montreal. He had nothing but praise for him. Celine Dion was interviewed by Larry King last eve. She spoke about meeting Michael after one of her shows in Las Vegas. The stories that Donald and Celine shared portrayed Michael Jackson as a nice guy and artist extraordinaire.

I was sad last night but as I hear/see his videos being played on MUCHMOREMUSIC, I want to celebrate what Michael Jackson gave to the world through his artform.

My condolences to all who loved him. My thoughts and prayers are with you now.

Juliet xo

PS Let us celebrate each day now as if it was our last....

PSS I want to edit this a.m.'s post. This afternoon another tribute began. The VJ's interviewed more people and continued playing videos. Hopefully it will be repeated or continued throughout the weekend..

Hello again:

I've been watching CNN, CTV etc and the 911 tapes have been released. I pay particular attention because I work in a health care related field and must have Frist Aid/CPR as a job requirement.

I listened to what was said by the caller and the dispatcher's response. Jackson's doctor was at Jackson's house. The person (not MJ's doctor) making the call said that MJ was on a bed. The dispatcher told the caller to get MJ on the floor. Why did MJ's doctor not place him on the floor before the 911 call was made? Since there were at least two people (the caller and the doctor) there, it would probably have been easy to put MJ on the floor and continue CPR until help arrives.

I see the doctor's car has been impounded and the LAPD are looking for the doctor. Good idea.

Juliet :(

I saw a similar report as well. I would imagine that the doctor is not having one of his better days. It's hard to lose a patient.

Apparently the coroner has concluded the autopsy but not yet decided on the cause, but did not find any evidence of foul play.

straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Lifestyle/Story/STIStory_396058

UCLA updated its news.

By UCLA Newsroom

| 6/25/2009 7:05:41 PM

The family of Michael Jackson made this brief statement available on June 25 at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center:

The legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson, passed away on Thursday, June 25, 2009, at 2:26 p.m. It is believed he suffered cardiac arrest in his home. However, the cause of his death is unknown until results of the autopsy are known. His personal physician, who was with him at the time, attempted to resuscitate Jackson, as did paramedics who transported him to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Upon arriving at the hospital at approximately 1:14 p.m., a team of doctors, including emergency physicians and cardiologists, attempted to resuscitate him for a period of more than one hour but were unsuccessful. Jackson's family requests that the media respect their privacy during this tragic period of time.

Video: Jermaine Greer reading statement and Michael Jackson's personal physician.

Hello:

I was listening to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN medical correspondent, last eve. He to made a comment about MJ being on a bed instead of the floor when CPR was administered. The casulty should be on a hard flat surface so the chest compressions can be done effectively.

I'm surprised the dispatcher asked if there was a witness to the event. It is an important question but not usually asked in a life threatening situation where the casulty is unconscious and not breathing. I am also very surprised that the doctor did not instruct the unnamed caller to call 911 immediately, while he started CPR, rather than wait.

Juliet

By SUSAN JAMES

June 26, 2009

In an urgent, but collected phone call to 911, an unidentified man describes Michael Jackson as lying on a bed unresponsive while a doctor kept "pumping him."

"I need an ambulance as soon as possible, sir," the man said on audio tapes that were released this afternoon in Los Angeles, where the singer died Thursday at age 50. "We have, we have a gentleman here that needs help and he's not breathing yet… he's not breathing… we're trying to pump him but he's not breathing sir...." The 911 operator confirmed Jackson's age and the address -- 100 Carrolwood Drive. "Where is he right now?"

"He's on the bed," said the caller.

"Let's get him on the floor and do CPR," said the operator, reassuring the caller as he gets more agitated. "We are on our way there."

"Did anybody see him?" asked the operator.

"I have a personal doctor here, but he's not responding to anything, CPR, or anything," the caller answered.

"We are on the way," said the operator. "If you have a doctor, he's a higher authority than me. Did anyone witnessed what happened?"

"No, just the doctor," the caller said. "He's the only one here."

The caller spoke to the doctor, and a muffled voice can be heard in the background.

"If you can please," said the caller.

"We are on our way," responds the operator.

"Thank you sir, he's pumped his chest and he's not responding to anything...please...thank you," said the caller before the call ends.

The Los Angeles Fire Department was called to Jackson's residence at 12:26 p.m. Pacific Time on Thursday. Paramedics performed CPR on Jackson, who was not breathing when they arrived at his home.

He was then rushed to UCLA Medical Center, just six miles from his home, where he was later pronounced dead after doctors there worked on him for an additional hour.

Jackson's autopsy began this morning. At a press conference, Los Angeles assistant chief coroner Lt. Ed Winter said he doesn't expect to discern Jackson's cause of death today.

"The cause of death is going to be deferred until we get the results of all the tests," Winter said. "The likelihood is very slim that we'll have any results to release today because of the extensive level of the tests we'll be performing."

He added that additional laboratory tests, including toxicology tests, are likely and those results may not be known for several weeks.

But according to a senior law enforcement official briefed on the initial investigation of Jackson's death, it's probable drugs played a part. He told ABC News that Jackson was "heavily addicted" to the powerful pain killer Oxycontin and received "daily doses" of it and of another pain killer, Demerol.

The Los Angeles police were told Jackson received an injection of Demerol one hour before his death, the official added.

The information and other emerging details make it almost certain the Los Angeles Police Homicide and Robbery Division will launch a full investigation into the circumstances of the pop singer's death. The squad was given the assignment initially because of the "high profile" nature of the case.

abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/MichaelJackson/Story?id=7940381&page=2

Does anyone remember Doctor Nick? He was Elvis' "doctor", the guy who had his little black medical bag full of goodies..................and kept Elvis stocked with every pharmaceutical drug in existence at that time.

Just watch this unfold now.............this "doctor" will be the same thing to Michael Jackson. Script after script after script written for Jackson exclusively.

History always repeats itself, and it's a shame that it does.

Regards;

That is why you should use painkillers very sparingly if at all.

I always try to find alternatives to drug therapy to manage pain just to be safe.

The only time when you must rely on drug therapy is when the pain is severe enough to put you into shock.

Another time when drug therapy is helpful is when pain is so extreme that you are unable to sleep at all.

And of course, if you are dying and have only a few hours left and maybe are suffering from cancer or internal hemorrhaging, morphine works perfectly for that kind of situation, but only if you are not already addicted.

Beyond those kinds of situations, I avoid drugs and try to find healthier ways to ease any pain.

Hello:

I was listening to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN medical correspondent, last eve. He to made a comment about MJ being on a bed instead of the floor when CPR was administered. The casulty should be on a hard flat surface so the chest compressions can be done effectively.

I'm surprised the dispatcher asked if there was a witness to the event. It is an important question but not usually asked in a life threatening situation where the casulty is unconscious and not breathing. I am also very surprised that the doctor did not instruct the unnamed caller to call 911 immediately, while he started CPR, rather than wait.

Juliet

PS I wanted to clarify my comment about asking if there was a witness present. I would not interrupt a person doing CPR with that question. I would ask it at a later time. If I was doing CPR I would only stop when another person took over or I was exhausted or there was something that might hurt both myself and the casulty (fire, impending collapse of building etc). I would try to move the person to a safer area then continue CPR.

Archived