JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

The Rebel Yell.com

ALBUM REVIEWS: Compassion, lust and merriment in new albums

November 23, 2009 by Maggie Leon

Them Crooked Vultures

Featuring Foo Fighters' and Nirvana's Dave Grohl, Queens of the Stone Age's Joshua Homme and legendary Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, Them Crooked Vultures is a trio of eclectic musicians making lustful rock that emits a sexy fist-pumping, hip-thrusting ambience that will set girls' loins on fire and boys' testosterone through the roof.

Sex, sweat and passion "No One Loves Me and Neither do I," oozes with grunts of passion, killer guitar and drum pounding. One set of lyrics screams, "If sex is a weapon then smash! Boom! Pow! How you like me now? You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left. When I told her I was trash she winked and laughed and said 'I already know, I gotta a beautiful place to put your face.'"

The music has as much innuendo as the imagery in the CD booklet, which is filled with intimidating vulture headed men holding umbrellas, baseball bats, flowers, cigars and puppies.

Like temptation and sin corrupting the innocent, "Scumbag Blues" is a ruckus filled confession of a man's inner-workings of conquering a woman.

"Interlude to Ludes" is a slow and sexy snake-slithering song that conjures up images of a dimly lit red volcanic hell with an evil but irresistibly tempting belly dancer hypnotizing you with her eyes, body and dance.

Overall, an impressive ravenous collection of powerful rock, spewing sexual desires, gratification, moans, mysticism immersed in a royal realm you want to dive into and drown.

http://unlvrebelyell...-in-new-albums/

Edited by SteveAJones

Is This Supergroup Super?

Well, much about Them Crooked Vultures intrigues

By Jim Fusilli

Wall Street Journal

November 28, 2009

Los Angeles

Them Crooked Vultures—which features Dave Grohl, Nirvana's drummer before fronting the Foo Fighters; Josh Homme, singer and guitarist with Queens of the Stone Age; and John Paul Jones, bassist and keyboard player with Led Zeppelin—recently released its self-titled debut disc on the DGC/Interscope label and last week began its international tour with shows here. TCV isn't perfect, and it may not even be super as supergroups go, but there's much about them that intrigues.

Since the '60s, a supergroup has been defined as a collection of musicians famous for being in their own bands who come together in another. Cream may have been the first. "I suppose it meant we were three guys who were bandleaders on our own, though I was hardly one at the time," Cream's bassist and vocalist Jack Bruce said when we spoke recently. "I never liked the term. I never quite understood it."

It's not easy for musicians who have starred in one band to adhere to a marriage of equals. "One thing I learned is if you have a supergroup, you have to let the other personalities express themselves," Stephen Stills told me last week. "You've got to let the guys be." Though Crosby, Stills & Nash featured three strong-willed, successful singer-songwriters—four when Neil Young joined in—the group did develop a band sound.

For a multistar group to be super, it must develop a sound distinct from any member's earlier work. Though it featured a dominating presence in Tool's Maynard James Keenan on vocals, A Perfect Circle began in the late 1990s as a solo project by guitarist Billy Howerdel. While the group's other members changed into the new century, the band's sound was fixed by his vision and Mr. Keenan's voice and lyrics.

A supergroup can falter when the singer is the most recognizable member. On The Firm's two mid-1980s discs, the band never sounded like more than singer Paul Rodgers's backing group, though Jimmy Page was its guitarist. Back in 1972, Mr. Bruce joined Mountain's Leslie West and Corky Laing to form West, Bruce and Laing, which sounds like Mountain with a different singer when Mr. Bruce is out front and Mountain with a different bassist when Mr. West sings. Mr. Bruce's son Malcolm has joined the reunited band in his father's slot; now called West, Bruce Jr. and Laing, it will tour the U.S. in January.

The new band Chickenfoot features Van Halen's Sammy Hagar on vocals and Michael Anthony on bass, Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers on drums and Joe Satriani on guitar. Despite some satisfying flash by Mr. Satriani, Chickenfoot's self-titled debut, released earlier this year by Redline, sounds like the 12th solo album by Mr. Hagar.

If the show I saw at the Wiltern Theater here is a fair sampling, Them Crooked Vultures is better suited to the studio than the stage. Though the live set wasn't without merit, the monumental rhythm section of Mr. Grohl and Mr. Jones overpowered Mr. Homme and Alain Johannes, who joined in on guitar and keyboards. In a raging "Dead End Friends," Mr. Jones played eight notes to the bar against the guitar riffs, fixing the rhythm and allowing Mr. Grohl to mash the kit, much as he did so effectively in Nirvana. During "Scumbag Blues," in which Mr. Homme, singing in falsetto, sounded like Mr. Bruce, Mr. Jones played stutter steps until the guitars dropped out and he locked in with Mr. Grohl. The best number, "Elephants," kicked off with a Zeppelin-like guitar riff before bursting into hard-rock boogie in which the Grohl-Jones playing was dazzling. Throughout the show, Mr. Homme contributed tasty guitar solos that would have been effective in another setting, and Mr. Johannes's mellow intro teed up "Bandoliers," but I'm not sure Jeff Beck could have found a way to augment the power and tight invention coming from the drum kit and bass.

TCV works pretty well on disc, where there's a greater sense of unity among the trio members. I've heard people describe TCV as Queens of the Stone Age with Mr. Jones sitting in, since Mr. Grohl helped out Mr. Homme's band on a tour. But Mr. Jones's contribution is fundamental—the songs are built from the bottom up. I can't think of a supergroup that stands on such a solid platform. If you want to start a hard-rock band, the bottom seems a good place to begin.

http://online.wsj.co...2178431394.html

Edited by SteveAJones

Off The Dial Blog

CD Review: Them Crooked Vultures

Written by: Nic Gouveia

November 27, 2009

I fucking hate the concept of a super-band. It's kinda like a threesome with one girl and two guys. Sure a few holes are getting filled, but once you cross swords the realization hits that this is less a collaborative effort and more of a circle jerk where loser gets sloppy seconds.With that in mind (you're welcome) think of Them Crooked Vultures' self titled album as a threesome made up of you (girl or guy should work) Carmen Electra, Jenna Jamison and a bottle of cheap whisky. Everyone's in it for a good time and with no strings attached, you might even come out better for the experience.

That's what this album is all about, having a good fucking time. "No One Loves Me & Neither Do I" sets the tone of the album with a lust filled 5:10 of growling guitars and bass work reminiscent of a time long ago when a bass guitar could get you higher than an eight ball of coke… okay maybe not that high, but you get the idea.

Admittedly "New Fang" and "Reptiles" do have noticeable touches of Queens of the Stone Age and the Foo Fighters but that's easy to forgive when you remember that The Vultures are more of a jam session band rather than an entirely new incarnation. If anything, I hear far more Led Zeppelin as Josh Homme and Dave Grohl display their undeniable fandom in playing with a legend like John Paul Jones.

All that being said, "Gunman" really stands out on this album as my "what the fuck was that" song with a progressive structure and a hook that takes you off the rocky dirt road and into a psychedelic trip that will have you checking the liner notes to see if Trent Reznor was somehow involved. (Sadly, he's not)

So to the douche bag in the back screaming "it sounds like Queens or the Foo's or Zeppelin" go fuck yourself! The album isn't too ambitious and isn't trying to reinvent the wheel. It's sex, it's drugs and it's mother fucking rock and roll in all it's glorious depravity… and I wouldn't have it any other way.

http://www.offthedial.ca/?p=5377

Edited by SteveAJones

CD Review: Them Crooked Vultures

by Simon Collins

The West Australian

November 27, 2009

Them Crooked Vultures

RCA/Sony

Joshua Homme has made the album those Muse hobbits wish they could conjure with the rhythm section Andrew Stockdale wishes he could recruit.

With fellow rock king Dave Grohl on drums and John Paul Jones of rawk wizards Led Zeppelin playing bass and some proggy keys, Homme rides Them Crooked Vultures towards sonic glory on an album that fundamentally sounds like Queens of the Stone Age with a few splashes of Zep and a pinch of Foo.

This supergroup fly when they unleash some good-time rock boogie that drives straight ahead without disappearing down a prog-rock cul-de-sac.

Gunman sounds like Bowie doing a Bond theme, while Mind Eraser, No Chaser welds hipster jargon to rollicking riffs to create the best Queens song since their 2005 album, Lullabies to Paralyze. That platter's extra axeman, Alain Johannes, adds extra grunt to Dead End Friends and Reptiles, as well as the freak-show theme, Interlude with Ludes.

The lyrics such as "pachyderms full of germs" on the lumbering Elephants often seem throwaway, as if they were penned for scratch vocals then not discarded. But, in the end, Them Crooked Vultures is just three mates having a superb time rocking out. That this collection of polished jam sessions is among the year's hottest releases says more about the biz than the boys.

The vocals and some riffs borrowed from Jimmy Page don't quite match Homme's swagger on swinging Bandoliers and the brilliantly titled Caligulove. He doesn't quite announce "I am a ginger god", but you can sometimes almost hear him thinking it.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/6524278/cd-review-them-crooked-vultures/

! ! !

German TV's 'Rockpalast' to telecast Dec 8th Koln concert Dec 15th.

http://www.wdr.de/tv.../1215/index.jsp

Aufzeichnung am 08. Dezember 2009 - Köln, Palladium

• content_sendetermine.gifDienstag, 15. Dezember 2009, 23.15 - 01.00 Uhr .

ThemCrookedVultures.jpg

Wie lässt sich der kühnste Traum eines jeden Rock and Roll Fans auf die Bühne transportieren?

Die Antwort auf diese Frage peitscht dieser Tage aus dem fernen Los Angeles zu uns herüber und nennt sich Them Crooked Vultures. Erscheint der Bandname noch wie ein unbeschriebenes Blatt, so bedarf die Besetzung keiner weiteren Erklärung: Kein geringerer als Foo Fighters Frontmann und Nirvana Schlagzeuer Dave Grohl lud zur Gründung einer neuen Band der Superlative ein. Seinem Ruf folgten mit Led Zeppelin Bassist John Paul Jones und Queens of the Stone Age Sänger und Gitarrist Josh Homme zwei der prominentesten Vertreter des Musikuniversums. Schlug das Prinzip der Superband in der Vergangenheit oft fehl, so übertreffen die Them Crooked Vultures mit ihrem gleichnamigen Debütalbum jegliche Erwartungen.

Das Rockpalast Team um Peter Sommer lässt diesen Traum jetzt für jeden Anhänger energetischer Gitarrenriffs und hitziger Konzertatmosphäre zur knallharten Realität werden. Am 08. Dezember fegen die Them Crooked Vultures über das restlos ausverkaufte Palladium hinweg und hinterlassen jede Menge verschwitzte, aber glückliche Fangesichter. Unsere Kameras sind live dabei wenn die Supergroup die Wände eines der angesagtesten Musiktempel Kölns erzittern lässt.

Der Rockpalast bringt diese jetzt schon vielversprechende Utopie der Rockmusik am 15. Dezember exklusiv in Euer Wohnzimmer und versorgt Euch nebenbei mit Ausschnitten des Queens Of The Stone Age Konzertes von 2003.

- Thorsten Meier -

Edited by SteveAJones

! ! !

German TV's 'Rockpalast' to telecast Dec 8th Koln concert Dec 15th.

http://www.wdr.de/tv.../1215/index.jsp

Aufzeichnung am 08. Dezember 2009 - Köln, Palladium

• content_sendetermine.gifDienstag, 15. Dezember 2009, 23.15 - 01.00 Uhr .

ThemCrookedVultures.jpg

Wie lässt sich der kühnste Traum eines jeden Rock and Roll Fans auf die Bühne transportieren?

Die Antwort auf diese Frage peitscht dieser Tage aus dem fernen Los Angeles zu uns herüber und nennt sich Them Crooked Vultures. Erscheint der Bandname noch wie ein unbeschriebenes Blatt, so bedarf die Besetzung keiner weiteren Erklärung: Kein geringerer als Foo Fighters Frontmann und Nirvana Schlagzeuer Dave Grohl lud zur Gründung einer neuen Band der Superlative ein. Seinem Ruf folgten mit Led Zeppelin Bassist John Paul Jones und Queens of the Stone Age Sänger und Gitarrist Josh Homme zwei der prominentesten Vertreter des Musikuniversums. Schlug das Prinzip der Superband in der Vergangenheit oft fehl, so übertreffen die Them Crooked Vultures mit ihrem gleichnamigen Debütalbum jegliche Erwartungen.

Das Rockpalast Team um Peter Sommer lässt diesen Traum jetzt für jeden Anhänger energetischer Gitarrenriffs und hitziger Konzertatmosphäre zur knallharten Realität werden. Am 08. Dezember fegen die Them Crooked Vultures über das restlos ausverkaufte Palladium hinweg und hinterlassen jede Menge verschwitzte, aber glückliche Fangesichter. Unsere Kameras sind live dabei wenn die Supergroup die Wände eines der angesagtesten Musiktempel Kölns erzittern lässt.

Der Rockpalast bringt diese jetzt schon vielversprechende Utopie der Rockmusik am 15. Dezember exklusiv in Euer Wohnzimmer und versorgt Euch nebenbei mit Ausschnitten des Queens Of The Stone Age Konzertes von 2003.

- Thorsten Meier -

Thats great! I'll attend this concert!

I cannot find this issue anywhere. I have been to 6 different book stores, i cannot find it. Does this magazine circulate a month before it's cover date? please help...!

Keep an eye on when all the new magazines arrive at your local retailers. Usually you will see bundles of new issues of a variety of magazines being unloaded from a cart onto the shelves. Sometimes the magazine circulates before its cover date; mainly it depends on the local delivery schedule. Just go to your local stores and watch the magazine racks every day. Unless it has sold out from every retailer you are bound to find it somewhere.

Keep an eye on when all the new magazines arrive at your local retailers. Usually you will see bundles of new issues of a variety of magazines being unloaded from a cart onto the shelves. Sometimes the magazine circulates before its cover date; mainly it depends on the local delivery schedule. Just go to your local stores and watch the magazine racks every day. Unless it has sold out from every retailer you are bound to find it somewhere.

I did some research and discovered that it is only an Austrailian release. It has this info on "TCV" official website. That explains why I can't find it here. The regular Rolling Stone (american issue) has a completely different cover for the month of December. But I really appreciate you trying to be helpful

Edited by Rock Historian

I did some research and discovered that it is only an Austrailian release. It has this info on "TCV" official website. That explains why I can't find it here. The regular Rolling Stone (american issue) has a completely different cover for the month of December. But I really appreciate you trying to be helpful

RH, have you tried international news/magazine stores? They have issues that domestic stores do not carry, be they about current events, various arts, etc., including music.

There are mint copies on Ebay for about $10 plus shipping. Expensive but the only way unless you have someone in

Australia willing to pick one up and send it to you.

RH, have you tried international news/magazine stores? They have issues that domestic stores do not carry, be they about current events, various arts, etc., including music.

...give this a try...

MAGAZINE * CAFE

Manhattan's Premier Magazine Destination

http://www.magazinecafeny.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stone-Australian-Edition/dp/B000BT4H54