Drummers

Dyermaker432

in order,

Bonzo-feel and groove, what all drummers should aspire to!! listened to what was going on, knew how to approach a song which is difficult for some drummers

Pert-he knows how to play thats for sure, he sometimes gets a bit over complicated at times but that can be seen as genius and technical, he is probably the tightest of the 3

Moon-good drummer but the waggling tounge and ott approach kinda kill it for me, theres no light and shade with that dude, rip mate!

Bonzo - My idol. Nobody else even comes to close to John Henry Bonham.

Moonie - I think he was an amazing drummer and one of my real favorites for sure.

Peart - I think he's phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but I just think he doesn't hold a candle to Bonzo (my favorite) and Moonie (top 5). Sometimes he gets a little too technical for my taste.

Well clearly it would depend on what I was going for. Peart is perfect for Rush, but I think too busy for Zeppelin. Bonham is perfect for Zeppelin but not busy enough for Rush. Moon never really appealed to me, but he's Peart's favorite drummer. So there you have it! :lol:

You hit a nerve with me on that one as these three guy's where/are my main influences since I first started getting serious into drumming in the mid 1980's.

I would have to say that Bonzo has the largest appeal for me but I strive to interpret some of Pert and Moon when I get to play. Does not happen very much any more as I now do a solo acoustic act but when I do pull out the stick's I feel all three of them in my hand's and feet.

Moon's big down fall was the fact that they where having to fake a lot of there TV spot's witch would tend to make one feel unappreciated or as if it was all a joke. I do believe that if they (The Who) had come out in the early 1970's instead of the mid 1960's they would have been a far different act.

Zeppelin started at a new and exciting time for the music industry, the gear that was available at the start of the 1970's was a huge leap from what was around a few years before. Hell, the Woofer (base) speaker had only been around a few year when Zeppelin started in 1968 then the Crown 300 Power amp in 1969 along with JBL's Strong Box speaker system, that's when the drummer could finely keep up with the bass player's rig and the Marshall guitar amp's all cranked up to 11.

Sorry, I must be getting boring but that's how I see it.

This will probably make no sense...but here goes

In my opinion:

Moon is "lighter" more like 'rappa-tap-tap'

Bonzo is more "Booommm!!!!" (yeah, you know what I mean...)

Peart is more systematic/technical

So, it depends on what style you're going for. I think they're all qenius, just in different aspects. Any of them could fly all over a drum set

I always think of what Daltrey said about the first time they played with Keith

"And it was like a jet engine takin' off behind me"

:D RIP Moon The Loon

• 2 weeks later...

Simple question. Who would you want to have drumming between these three- John Bonham, Keith Moon, and Neil Peart, and why

How's it going "Dyermaker432?" I hope all is well with you. Of course, the majority of everyone here on the Forum, including myself, is going to say that Bonzo was the perfect and irreplaceable drummer. Bonzo had a way of pounding the drums with extreme power without putting holes in them. Keith Moon was not a total power drummer but he always doubled his drumming patterns. Neal Peart was just an acrobat when it came to drumming. He had speed but he didn't have power. One drummer that I'm surprised that you didn't mention was Ginger Baker. Ginger Baker, despite never practicing, he was a power drummer that would also influence Bonzo. ROCK ON!

Have a bit of this! May not be as hard hitting as Bonzo, but damn if this man didn't go the distance! You may not like Rush, but Neil covers it all!! And remember, when he's all over the drums and you hear that "boom chi chi boom chi chi" That's his feet completely independent of the wild shit his hands are doing!

I dare any drummer to come back after this odyssey and call Neil Peart a lightweight.

My link

Hickory Man, when you have a moment... Yeah you know! One day we'll knock out La Villa bro!!!

"Neal Peart was just an acrobat when it came to drumming. He had speed but he didn't have power"

We're going to have a row over this one my friend!!!

I hope it's a polite one!! :beer:

How's it going "Evster" my buddy? I still hope all is well with you. Of course we will, we can have a few beers and have a civil conversation about Neil Peart and Bonzo.

I'm sure that we both agree that Neil Peart is one hell of a great drummer, there is no denying that. We are both big fans of RUSH and own all of their albums. Maybe I should have worded it differently. Truthfully, its really hard to compare both Bonzo and Peart because their styles are completely different. I should have said that Peart lacked the hard hitting power (Just a little) that Bonzo had but Bonzo lacked the established technical drumming patterns and speed that Peart had. But knowing that, these are two different drummers with two different styles. Even Keith Moon's style of drumming is different from both Bonzo and Peart's. We failed to mention Ginger baker, he was another power drummer that influenced Bonzo besides Gene Krupa. I know for fact that you know your shit being the musician that you are. I am looking forward to meeting and having a few drinks with you in person when I go to Vegas real soon. I'm sure that we can have some great conversations on music. In the mean time, ROCK ON my friend!

How's it going "Evster" my buddy? I still hope all is well with you. Of course we will, we can have a few beers and have a civil conversation about Neil Peart and Bonzo.

I'm sure that we both agree that Neil Peart is one hell of a great drummer, there is no denying that. We are both big fans of RUSH and own all of their albums. Maybe I should have worded it differently. Truthfully, its really hard to compare both Bonzo and Peart because their styles are completely different. I should have said that Peart lacked the hard hitting power (Just a little) that Bonzo had but Bonzo lacked the established technical drumming patterns and speed that Peart had. But knowing that, these are two different drummers with two different styles. Even Keith Moon's style of drumming is different from both Bonzo and Peart's. We failed to mention Ginger baker, he was another power drummer that influenced Bonzo besides Gene Krupa. I know for fact that you know your shit being the musician that you are. I am looking forward to meeting and having a few drinks with you in person when I go to Vegas real soon. I'm sure that we can have some great conversations on music. In the mean time, ROCK ON my friend!

I'll stand down my arms...for now!!!:lol:

A bit of trivia, Neil Peart's all-time favorite drummer is....Keith Moon! Ponder THAT my friend!

I can't figure it out either! But I can still play a mean Temples of Syrinx!! (on guitar, drums or bass muthafucka!!!) :D

Vocals not so much anymore. I don't wanna pop an artery! :beer:

A bit of trivia, Neil Peart's all-time favorite drummer is....Keith Moon! Ponder THAT my friend!

I can't figure it out either! But I can still play a mean Temples of Syrinx!! (on guitar, drums or bass muthafucka!!!) :D

How's it going "Evster" my buddy? I hope all is well with you. I must confess, I did not know that Keith Moon (Moon the Loon) was Neil Peart's favorite drummer. But then it dawned on me, I believe that because Moon had a lot of speed in his earlier career and he would double up on his drumming patterns which is evident in Peart's drumming patterns. I'm glad that you're standing down your arms for now, I wouldn't want for you to spill your beer or drop your cigarette. Ha Ha! In the mean time, ROCK ON my friend!

Hi Ev,

Another bit of trivia, Neil's foray in to Jazz was a disaster for him, his words, and he said that he was a "Linear Drummer" whatever that means, i know you can explain Ev.

Keith Moon, to my ears anyway, played the same drum patterns on every song or solo he did, "Crash Bang Wallop" JonnyB and Neil are my favoutite two drummers of all time, all Genres, i could never get tired of the noise that those two make, ever. Ian Paice is OK, Cosy too, and Bill Ward, the rest i could care less about, just my honest opinion, nothing against any other drummer out there.

Regards, Danny

:drumz:

Can't forget Peart's love for Buddy Rich. Although i think anybody who has seen Buddy Rich play loves him. It's REALLY HARD not to.

I'll 2nd this ......

Look around Neil's site (you'll like it).

http://www.neilpeart.com/index2.html

It would not surprise me at all if Keith Moon was one of Neil's big idle's, just look at how much Rush goof's around (I mean that in a good way)! They refer to themselves as the "Three Stooges!" And play the old opening music from the original 1930's short's before they take the stage at there live show's.

If I were picking one to play drums on my gig I have to pick Peart...

...because the other two guys are dead. :P

But seriously folks, you're comparing apples & oranges here. Those guys have all got totally differnt styles, each developed as a member of a distinctive band. Put them in another context and they would have to adapt to the players that they were with.

It's been said a number of times, including by Page himself, that Bonham played like he did because he was playing with they other members of Zeppelin - Bonham's accents are part him, part Jones & part Page: That's how bands work; When he played with different musicians he sounded different.

Similarly, Moon sounded like that because the Who could accomodate that style of playing, and sounded different when he played with others (Harry Nillson's "Pussycats" LP springs to mind). When Moon and Page played together on Roy Harper's MCP Blues the result was neither Zeppelin or the Who, but had similarities to both.

This is one reaon why supergroups, & all-star bands often suck: take people out of their natural environment & they musdt adapt or they fail.

There's nothing worse than a drummer (or any musician) who insists on playing their way and makes no concession to those around them. Bonham, Moon & Peart all participated with the other musicians. If I was picking for my own band, I'd pick someone who could communicate musicaly with me & the rest of my band, not someone who sounded great in another band, but couldn't play with us.

If I were picking one to play drums on my gig I have to pick Peart...

...because the other two guys are dead. :P

But seriously folks, you're comparing apples & oranges here. Those guys have all got totally differnt styles, each developed as a member of a distinctive band. Put them in another context and they would have to adapt to the players that they were with.

It's been said a number of times, including by Page himself, that Bonham played like he did because he was playing with they other members of Zeppelin - Bonham's accents are part him, part Jones & part Page: That's how bands work; When he played with different musicians he sounded different.

Similarly, Moon sounded like that because the Who could accomodate that style of playing, and sounded different when he played with others (Harry Nillson's "Pussycats" LP springs to mind). When Moon and Page played together on Roy Harper's MCP Blues the result was neither Zeppelin or the Who, but had similarities to both.

This is one reaon why supergroups, & all-star bands often suck: take people out of their natural environment & they musdt adapt or they fail.

There's nothing worse than a drummer (or any musician) who insists on playing their way and makes no concession to those around them. Bonham, Moon & Peart all participated with the other musicians. If I was picking for my own band, I'd pick someone who could communicate musicaly with me & the rest of my band, not someone who sounded great in another band, but couldn't play with us.

That's a thoughtful response. I always thought Keith was perfect for The Who, but can't imagine him playing like that with any other band. When you listen to Kenny Jones playing with The Who, there is definitely something missing there - it's a mutual kind of adaptation, because Pete's songs fit in with that kind of drumming, and it suited Entwhistle's style really well, etc. This is probably a very common thing with rock players.

Archived