Rights V Privilege

BIGDAN

Hi All,

This has been bugging me for a while now and I just wanted to get this cleared up once and for all.

My Opinion is this,

1. Rights=Rights are Earned by you.

Example 1=The Rights that the Patriots in the American Revolution Earned for themselves by Winning the War Against the British.

Example 2=The Right to Walk along Country Paths that are Free to the General Public and Designated as such even when they Cross Private Land.

2. Privilege=Privilege is what is given to you without earning.

Example 1=The Privilege to use the Rights that other People Shed Blood to Achieve, while you didn't shed blood or were not involved in creating it yourself, hense its called a Privilege.

Example 2=The Privilege to Walk along a Country Path that is owned by a Private Person, but does not have a "Right to Walk" Designated Notice Attached to it.

I would like to know your opinions please.

Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,

How are you today?

Here is where we Americans get our notion of "rights" from. Just giving you some background information.

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

w.gifhen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

John Hancock

New Hampshire:

Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts:

John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island:

Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery

Connecticut:

Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott

New York:

William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris

New Jersey:

Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania:

Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross

Delaware:

Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean

Maryland:

Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia:

George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton

North Carolina:

William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn

South Carolina:

Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton

Georgia:

Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton

Hi Danny,

How are you today?

Here is where we Americans get our notion of "rights" from. Just giving you some background information.

Hi Doc, and i'm very well thank you, and many thanks for your input.

Hi Gospel Zone, many thanks too,

I have just been reading through your Bill of Rights, if that is what it was, its a Great Document, wish we had one as well but thats anotherTopic i think.

Well i can see where you are both comming from,"Rights" are Legal. "Privileges" are Granted to Individuals and can easily be taken away, am i right so far? As thats how it seems to me now.

Its a shame your Bill of Rights doesnt take in all People from all Walks of Life, but i'm not going to argue that case here, i want to stick to the issue, and i think you are maybe winning the Arguement, that doesnt mean that i think your "Bill of Rights" isnt a "Bill of Privilages" you understand? For if they are Rights they must be upheld for each and every one of us, or to those that those "Rights" do not apply to, will believe that they are in reality "Priviliges" for the Lucky few, wont they?

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,

What I posted was The Declaration of Independence of the US from England.

It lists the grievances that the colonists had with King George III of England.

It begins with the statement about the unalienable rights, which are supposed rights that everyone is born with. Note: "the right to life", which our country fails to respect, by the way.

Here is a link to The Bill of Rights, which is comprised of the first ten ammendments of the Constitution of The United States.

http://www.law.corne...llofrights.html

By the way, the Constitution was written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison. Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence.

Edited to say: These men were the main authors of these documents, not the sole authors, as there was a host of founding fathers involved in the authorship.

Hi Doc, and i'm very well thank you, and many thanks for your input.

Hi Gospel Zone, many thanks too,

I have just been reading through your Bill of Rights, if that is what it was, its a Great Document, wish we had one as well but thats anotherTopic i think.

Well i can see where you are both comming from,"Rights" are Legal. "Privileges" are Granted to Individuals and can easily be taken away, am i right so far? As thats how it seems to me now.

Its a shame your Bill of Rights doesnt take in all People from all Walks of Life, but i'm not going to argue that case here, i want to stick to the issue, and i think you are maybe winning the Arguement, that doesnt mean that i think your "Bill of Rights" isnt a "Bill of Privilages" you understand? For if they are Rights they must be upheld for each and every one of us, or to those that those "Rights" do not apply to, will believe that they are in reality "Priviliges" for the Lucky few, wont they?

Kind Regards, Danny

The Declaration of Independence refers to Native Americans as "merciless Indian Savages" who do not hesitate to kill women and children. The founding fathers weren't exactly culturally sensitive.

Rights: Something human beings are born with; cannot be taken away.

Example: Right to own property (be it land or material items such as clothes or guns), right to free speech (say what you will when you will), right to do as you wish (so long as you don't violate the rights of others), right to make your life as much your own as possible.

Privilege: Something that human beings are allowed to do only when the masses or companies allow them to such as Voting, Driving, using credit/Debit cards, receiving a loan, etc.

Not hard to differentiate tese attributes.

Example: Right to own property (be it land or material items such as clothes or guns), right to free speech (say what you will when you will), right to do as you wish (so long as you don't violate the rights of others), right to make your life as much your own as possible.

Privilege: Something that human beings are allowed to do only when the masses or companies allow them to such as Voting, Driving, using credit/Debit cards, receiving a loan, etc.

OK guy, it's you right to make such a statement and if that's what you think this country is all about that OK fine.

But...What? :blink:

We were born with the right to own clothing? Land? Those aren't rights. Those are possessions you can only come across with money. I was not born with the right to own a damn thing. I can only own something when I can afford it.

We were born with the right to own clothing? Land? Those aren't rights. Those are possessions you can only come across with money. I was not born with the right to own a damn thing. I can only own something when I can afford it.

Well put 'Electrophile'

Apart from the "Right to Die" I cant thing of one "Right" that someone, be that a Government, an Offical or a Person that cant take that "Right" away, can you? can anyone?

Regards, Danny

Hi Danny, you have a right to your thoughts. :) Just stay away from brainwashers, or you may lose that right...

Hi Tangerine,

Thats a good one, but how do i know that the Brainwashers havent already paid me a visit? :o

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Danny, you have a right to your thoughts. :) Just stay away from brainwashers, or you may lose that right...

Quite true,

They may convince him he has the right to something besides death.

==

For those not in the loop. This is the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights. This is not statewide, not nationwide.

It's WORLDWIDE for 60 years. And I will defend it to naysayers.

94944-004-5fa0aee2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....of_Human_Rights

==

The following reproduces the articles of the Declaration which set out the specific human rights that are recognized in the Declaration.[17]

Article 1 All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards oneanother in a spirit of brotherhood.Article 2 Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind,such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or otheropinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of thepolitical, jurisdictional or international status of the country orterritory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust,non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.Article 3 Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.Article 4 No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.Article 5 No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.Article 6 Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.Article 7 All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discriminationto equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protectionagainst any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and againstany incitement to such discrimination.Article 8 Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the constitution or by law.Article 9 No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.Article 10 Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearingby an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of hisrights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.Article 11

1. Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.
  2. No one shall be held guilty of any penal offence on account of anyact or omission which did not constitute a penal offence, undernational or international law, at the time when it was committed. Norshall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable atthe time the penal offence was committed.

Article 12 No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy,family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour andreputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law againstsuch interference or attacks.Article 13

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
  2. Everyone has the right to leave any country, including their own, and to return to their country.

Article 14

1. Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
  2. This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinelyarising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposesand principles of the United Nations.

Article 15

1. Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Article 16

1. Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
  2. Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
  3. The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

Article 17

1. Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
  2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

Article 18 Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion;this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, andfreedom, either alone or in community with others and in public orprivate, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice,worship and observance.Article 19 Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression;this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference andto seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media andregardless of frontiers.Article 20

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
  2. No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Article 21

1. Everyone has the right to take part in the government of their country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
  2. Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in their country.
  3. The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority ofgovernment; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuineelections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall beheld by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

Article 22 Everyone, as a member of society, has the right to social securityand is entitled to realization, through national effort andinternational co-operation and in accordance with the organization andresources of each State, of the economic, social and cultural rightsindispensable for his dignity and the free development of hispersonality.Article 23

1. Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
  2. Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.
  3. Everyone who works has the right to just and favourableremuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy ofhuman dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of socialprotection.
  4. Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

Article 24 Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.Article 25

1. Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for thehealth and well-being of himself and of his family, including food,clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, andthe right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness,disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood incircumstances beyond his control.
  2. Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Article 26

1. Everyone has the right to education.Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamentalstages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical andprofessional education shall be made generally available and highereducation shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
  2. Education shall be directed to the full development of the humanpersonality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights andfundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance andfriendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shallfurther the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance ofpeace.
  3. Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

Article 27

1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural lifeof the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientificadvancement and its benefits.
  2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and materialinterests resulting from any scientific, literary or artisticproduction of which he is the author.

Article 28 Everyone is entitled to a social and international order in whichthe rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fullyrealized.Article 29

1. Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and full development of his personality is possible.
  2. In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall besubject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely forthe purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights andfreedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality,public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.
  3. These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Article 30 Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for anyState, group or person any right to engage in any activity or toperform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights andfreedoms set forth herein.

givingtongue.gifgivingtongue.gif Eleanor is in fact a relative.

There's a copy stays on my fridge.

I don't talk the talk. I walk it. I actually believe in the things I volunteer for.

Even there, that hasn't really ever existed. The government still owns and controls you and me. The drafts in WW2 and the Vietnam war etc etc prove this, while today in many other countries national/community service is still enforced.

So really, we don't even have the 'right' to live as we please. Technically our governments can still dictate to us when to give up our lives. It's a sickening thought.

Quite true,

They may convince him he has the right to something besides death.

As i said, like what? Give me something tangible rather than sarcasm and put down please. I mean, if i so chose i could post a reply to almost every so called "Right" and discredit it, be it "Slavery" "Torture" "Right to Life" "Discrimination" and many more, that is broken by your Government and mine every day, how can they be called "Rights" when they are not adhered to by the same Countries that sign up to them, they are in fact "Priviliges" in all but name, as i have said many times before, it is you who have been convinced by the "Brainwashers" that you have "Rights" but apart from the "Right to Die" i havent seen any, only "Whiteman's Priviliges" exist i'm afraid, the rest is Pure Bullshit and a Joke as far as i'm concerned.

==

For those not in the loop. This is the 60th anniversary of the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights. This is not statewide, not nationwide.

It's WORLDWIDE for 60 years. And I will defend it to naysayers.

http://en.wikipedia....of_Human_Rights

==

The following reproduces the articles of the Declaration which set out the specific human rights that are recognized in the Declaration.[17]

Article 1 All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards oneanother in a spirit of brotherhood.Article 2 Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind,such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or otheropinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of thepolitical, jurisdictional or international status of the country orterritory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust,non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.Article 3 Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.Article 4 No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.Article 5 No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.Article 6 Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.Article 7 All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discriminationto equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protectionagainst any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and againstany incitement to such discrimination.Article 8 Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the constitution or by law.Article 9 No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.Article 10 Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearingby an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of hisrights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.Article 11

1. Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.
  2. No one shall be held guilty of any penal offence on account of anyact or omission which did not constitute a penal offence, undernational or international law, at the time when it was committed. Norshall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable atthe time the penal offence was committed.

Article 12 No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy,family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour andreputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law againstsuch interference or attacks.Article 13

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
  2. Everyone has the right to leave any country, including their own, and to return to their country.

Article 14

1. Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
  2. This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinelyarising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposesand principles of the United Nations.

Article 15

1. Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Article 16

1. Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
  2. Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
  3. The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

Article 17

1. Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
  2. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

Article 18 Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion;this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, andfreedom, either alone or in community with others and in public orprivate, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice,worship and observance.Article 19 Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression;this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference andto seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media andregardless of frontiers.Article 20

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
  2. No one may be compelled to belong to an association.

Article 21

1. Everyone has the right to take part in the government of their country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
  2. Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in their country.
  3. The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority ofgovernment; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuineelections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall beheld by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

Article 22 Everyone, as a member of society, has the right to social securityand is entitled to realization, through national effort andinternational co-operation and in accordance with the organization andresources of each State, of the economic, social and cultural rightsindispensable for his dignity and the free development of hispersonality.Article 23

1. Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
  2. Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for equal work.
  3. Everyone who works has the right to just and favourableremuneration ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy ofhuman dignity, and supplemented, if necessary, by other means of socialprotection.
  4. Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

Article 24 Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.Article 25

1. Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for thehealth and well-being of himself and of his family, including food,clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, andthe right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness,disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood incircumstances beyond his control.
  2. Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

Article 26

1. Everyone has the right to education.Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamentalstages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical andprofessional education shall be made generally available and highereducation shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
  2. Education shall be directed to the full development of the humanpersonality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights andfundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance andfriendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shallfurther the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance ofpeace.
  3. Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.

Article 27

1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural lifeof the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientificadvancement and its benefits.
  2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and materialinterests resulting from any scientific, literary or artisticproduction of which he is the author.

Article 28 Everyone is entitled to a social and international order in whichthe rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fullyrealized.Article 29

1. Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and full development of his personality is possible.
  2. In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall besubject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely forthe purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights andfreedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality,public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.
  3. These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

Article 30 Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for anyState, group or person any right to engage in any activity or toperform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights andfreedoms set forth herein.

givingtongue.gifgivingtongue.gif Eleanor is in fact a relative.

There's a copy stays on my fridge.

I don't talk the talk. I walk it. I actually believe in the things I volunteer for.

Hi MH,

You can walk and talk all you like, you can post what you like, but you are never in a trillion years going to convince me that the things you call "Human Rights" or the "Bill of Rights" are anything more that Meaningless Words written on Paper that will end up in the Jakes, just my honest opinion.

When the USA, Russia, China, GB, and the Rest of the Civilised World "Walks the Walk" rather than "Talks the Talk", these Meaningless Documents will remain "Rich Whiteman's Privileges" rather than "Everyman's Rights".

Regards, Danny

And the second you can afford such things, you hae the right to purchase them. It's not a free handout, but you hae the right to increase your financial position and buy what you will.

Even there, that hasn't really ever existed. The government still owns and controls you and me. The drafts in WW2 and the Vietnam war etc etc prove this, while today in many other countries national/community service is still enforced.

So really, we don't even have the 'right' to live as we please. Technically our governments can still dictate to us when to give up our lives. It's a sickening thought.

Can't argue there. But what I'm suggesting is that these things only happen when the government is trampling on your rights.

How odd that you seem to feel so differently when it comes to affording healthcare.

That's always my question to "pro-free market but universal health care" folk.

I mean, why does everyone hae a right to health care...but not food or shelter? Why aren't we giving those out for free to?

There you go making sense again.

Cut that shit out!

There is no room in the healthcare debate for logic.

Hi MH,

You can walk and talk all you like, you can post what you like, but you are never in a trillion years going to convince me that the things you call "Human Rights" or the "Bill of Rights" are anything more that Meaningless Words written on Paper that will end up in the Jakes, just my honest opinion.

When the USA, Russia, China, GB, and the Rest of the Civilised World "Walks the Walk" rather than "Talks the Talk", these Meaningless Documents will remain "Rich Whiteman's Privileges" rather than "Everyman's Rights".

Regards, Danny

In other words you have no rights.

You know what I say "A sucker born every minute."

MH

A utopia where everyone just does as they wish, when they wish, where they wish with who they wish, and the government never intervenes or has any say.....will never happen. Time to accept that and live with what we have.

You do not have any rights either as an American Citizen or under The United Nations which go by the International Human Rights just as Amnesty International.

So get over it. You two just wanna argue and fight.

I am looking for LUUUUUUUUUUUV KIDDIES.

Love and the right side of values will win out in the long run over arguments which are obviously wrong and just drama.

MH

Archived