I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

No, unfortunately.

I enjoy reading, but it's a luxury (of time) that I rarely have these days.

I will definitely keep an eye out for it to have in the event I find myself able to do some reading.

You will find that, unlike most adaptations of books, they stayed pretty true to the text and include large swathes of the book verbatim in the film.

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

Reggie, if you're out there, I owe you an apology. On second thought and second viewing, it turns out you're right about Morgan Spurlock. His documentaries do tend to pander and state the obvious. Now he has sunk to the level of making a hagiography of the boy band One Direction.

You will find that, unlike most adaptations of books, they stayed pretty true to the text and include large swathes of the book verbatim in the film.

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

I'm not surprised and actually suspected as much.

Most of the narrative sounds like it would have come straight from the book.

It would be foolish to tamper with genius like that.

The incredibly lengthy Quotes section on IMDB is a great reflection of how awesome the dialog of the movie is.

I watched it again on Netflix last night - sans buzz - and still loved it.

After some reading up on the film, I was able to look for things, such as the scene where Hunter S. Thompson has a cameo.

Vegas is an awesome backdrop for epic adventures, to say the least.

Speaking of Hunter S. Thompson, there is also the 1980 comedy flick "Where the Buffalo Roam" starring Bill Murray and Peter Boyle. Murray does a decent job in it but the movie script is a disaster. Still worth a watch if you haven't seen it but unfortunately most VHS and all DVD releases have retained only the Neil Young score and the Creedence song, "Keep on Chooglin'", with the rest of the music replaced by generic approximations of the original songs. Only the theatrical release and early VHS releases contained the songs found on the soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent last night watching Looney Tunes on the big screen...the way they were meant to be seen amd originally were from the 1920s to the 1970s. You always got a cartoon before the movie.

Chuck Jones would have been 101 yesterday and the American Cinematheque hosted a Chuck Jones 101 Birthday Tribute with his widow, children and grandchildren in attendance. June Foray, Leonard Maltin and Charles Solomon were also on hand.

And Daffy, Bugs, Elmer, Porky, Wile E., Roadrunner, and Mel Blanc, God rest his soul. A night of a thousand laughs.

We are taking our girls to see Wizard of Oz in 3D IMAX tonight......I've never see this on the big screen before, My wife and I are more excited than the kids, I think !

I'm very happy for you and your family. Certain movies deserve to be seen on the screen in a theatre with other people laughing and enjoying the film, the way the director intended the movie to be seen. "The Wizard of Oz" is one! The colours, the sets, the costumes, the singing and dancing, Ray Bolger, JUDY GARLAND! Certain details get lost watching it on tv or dvd, no matter how big your plasma widescreen tv is.

Movie-going is a communal activity, not a hermetic one, and some movies are just better seen with a crowd of people sharing the experience. I hope you all enjoyed it...although I kind of wish your first viewing of "The Wizard of Oz" was the normal version. I'm not sure 3D is necessary or even beneficial to a film such as "The Wizard of Oz".

They had the big premiere for the IMAX 3D version last week at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, where it opened to the public on Friday. The Chinese Theatre had its grand reopening, too, after the Chinese bought it last year and it was changed from Grauman's Chinese Theatre to TCL Chinese Theatre. They've presumably made some changes, although thankfully, they've kept the movie star hand-and-footprints in cement in the courtyard.

My son just watched Butch Friday night too, for the first time. He's taking a class on film and is really getting into the classic films from the 60s/

70s. :)

That's wonderful...pm me if he has any questions about a certain film and I'll try to help.

I spent last night watching Looney Tunes on the big screen...the way they were meant to be seen amd originally were from the 1920s to the 1970s. You always got a cartoon before the movie.

Chuck Jones would have been 101 yesterday and the American Cinematheque hosted a Chuck Jones 101 Birthday Tribute with his widow, children and grandchildren in attendance. June Foray, Leonard Maltin and Charles Solomon were also on hand.

And Daffy, Bugs, Elmer, Porky, Wile E., Roadrunner, and Mel Blanc, God rest his soul. A night of a thousand laughs.

Awesome. I miss the old days in the theaters with the cartoons compared to nowadays with the damned commercials, loud as hell previews and warnings to turn off your cell phones.

I actually hate going to modern theaters because of all that. Here's my brother Bob showing my sentiments exactly.

post-503-0-06706700-1380414626_thumb.jpg

Last night we watched this. Granted, Whitmore didn't quite look like a black man with his blue eyes but you just had to use your imagination. A very brave film for the time with lots of great character actors who later showed up in many films: Roscoe Lee Brown, Will Geer, Denver Pyle, Raymond St. Jacques, Matt Clark (played with Burt Reynolds in 'White Lightning' and lots of other movies), Sorrell Booke (Dukes Of Hazzard) and others.

post-503-0-47417700-1380415294_thumb.jpg

Well, now that summer is over and all those interminable movies about zombies and post-apocalyptic disasters have come and gone(anybody see "World War Z" or "After Earth" or "Oblivion"? I hope you saved your money), the movie I have waited for months to see is finally opening this week. Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer back in April or May, Alfonso Cuarón's "Gravity" has been on my 'Must-see' list...the trailer blew me away. This is the director of "Y Tu Mamá También", "Children of Men", and "A Little Princess".

Another film on my radar is "Captain Phillips", based on the true story of the Maersk Alabama hijacking by Somali pirates, starring Tom Hanks.

And, since I missed it the first time around while I was travelling, now that it is being re-released, I want to see the Ryan Gosling film, "The Place Beyond the Pines".

Well, now that summer is over and all those interminable movies about zombies and post-apocalyptic disasters have come and gone(anybody see "World War Z" or "After Earth" or "Oblivion"? I hope you saved your money), the movie I have waited for months to see is finally opening this week. Ever since I saw the first teaser trailer back in April or May, Alfonso Cuarón's "Gravity" has been on my 'Must-see' list...the trailer blew me away. This is the director of "Y Tu Mamá También", "Children of Men", and "A Little Princess".

Another film on my radar is "Captain Phillips", based on the true story of the Maersk Alabama hijacking by Somali pirates, starring Tom Hanks.

And, since I missed it the first time around while I was travelling, now that it is being re-released, I want to see the Ryan Gosling film, "The Place Beyond the Pines".

Well Tom Hanks is always a must see. I just love the guy. I hope you snuck in your drinks and popcorn. What a rip off the Regal Cinama's are. They charge more for the drinks than the movie. Its gotten to be ridiculous. I will not pay it. It has to be somthing I really want to see. Lincoln was my last and I was not that thrilled with it to be honest.

I watched The Lone Ranger tonight and it wasn't too bad.

Jason Bonham is in it as one of the featured musicians.

Catching up on my screenings and I'll be back with a roundup of some new films but for now, I just wanted to get the warning out before the 4th of July weekend:

STAY AWAY FROM "THE LONE RANGER"!!!

Absolutely dreadful...an awful, loud, mess that drags on far too long. Don't pay a penny for this garbage. You deserve better for your entertainment dollar.

"GRAVITY" = MIND BLOWN.

That's all I'm going to say about it for now. See it before someone spoils it by telling you too much about the movie. See it on the biggest screen in your town. I'm going to see it again...this time in 3D, as for once, the 3D looks like it is warranted and effective.

Incredible.

^^really? Hmmm. The trailer has done nothing to pique my interest, and Im not a huge fan of Clooney. For some reason I expect Bullock to be funny.

When it comes to movies you're usually spot on, so it's officially on my list!

^^really? Hmmm. The trailer has done nothing to pique my interest, and Im not a huge fan of Clooney. For some reason I expect Bullock to be funny.

When it comes to movies you're usually spot on, so it's officially on my list!

Don't worry about Clooney. He's merely supporting cast and in a space suit the whole time. You barely see him.

It's Sandra Bullock who carries this film...well, her and the astounding visuals. I think you will identify with her character especially, planted..she's a bio-medical engineer on her first space mission installing a medical prototype system in the Hubble Space Telescope. That's all you need to know about the plot going in.

Don't worry about the trailer...it purposely doesn't reveal too much about the plot.

Your jaw will drop to the floor in wonder at the visuals but your heart will leap to your throat for the well of deep emotions that this film taps into.

Over the years, the space/sci-fi movie has been cheapened by the dull hordes of Michael Bays, Jerry Bruckheimers, George Lucases, and their reduction of space as just another battle zone of endless explosions and gunfire and constant loud noise.

But just as "2001: A Space Odyssey" represented a great leap forward in cinematic history, so shall "Gravity" be remembered as a significant achievement. In my lifetime there have been only a handful of really good space movies..."2001", Tarkovsky's "Solaris", "Apollo 13", "The Right Stuff", "Moon", and the first "Alien".

"Gravity" joins that list.

But it's not just about space...it's about being

human.

And the need to get home.

Edited by Strider

I thought this was funny. We were at an art/music show in town and I took the first pic in the morning and the second one in the afternoon. It looks like gravity got a hold of the 'y.' :^)

Sad thing is you don't see movie/cinema signs like that anymore where I'm from...I miss the old stuff