I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

My son and I got about an hour into "There Will be Blood" with Daniel Day-Lewis on Netflix and gave up. I'm not a big fan of DDL, although my son is. It was honestly just not very interesting :(

Gotta agree there. My nephew raved about it and I thought it was long and boring. I did like Lewis in 'Last Of The Mohicans' and 'Lincoln.'

My son and I got about an hour into "There Will be Blood" with Daniel Day-Lewis on Netflix and gave up. I'm not a big fan of DDL, although my son is. It was honestly just not very interesting :(

Awwww, that means you missed the hilarious "I'm drinking your milkshake!" scene. Not a movie that holds up very well, IMO. It has fits and starts where it gets interesting then sags again. By the end of its very long length, you just don't care anymore what happens to any of the characters.

It's the Saturday before Halloween, which means it is time for my godson and I to go to the American Cinematheque's annual Dusk-to-Dawn Horrorthon...this year is Number 8. Here is the line-up of films this year:

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/8th-annual-dusk-to-dawn-horrothon

8th Annual Dusk-To-Dawn Horrothon

Spend all night at the Aero Theatre’s eighth annual Horrorthon! Complete with between-film free food, giveaways, trailers, crazy shorts and surprises! Coffee courtesy of Pete’s Coffee, Monster Energy Drink courtesy of Hansen's Beverage and prizes and giveaways courtesy of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Deep Midnight Perfumes, and more.

Six Back-To-Back Films!

AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION

1982, Orion Pictures, 104 min. Dir. Damiano Damiani.

This hit prequel to THE AMITYVILLE HORROR was loosely inspired by a real-life mass murder that took place in the Long Island town in 1974. The Montelli family’s dream home turns out to be a nightmare - built on an Indian burial ground, an evil spirit resides in the house, and eventually takes possession of oldest boy Sonny. Scarier than the original, with Burt Young’s (of ROCKY fame) turn as the family’s abusive father and Lalo Schifrin’s soundtrack ratcheting up the tension.

KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS

1977, Dimension Pictures, 97 min. Dir. John 'Bud' Cardos.

Horrorthon vet William Shatner stars as a veterinarian who sounds the first note of alarm when animals begin dying from spider venom; soon the entire populace of Verde Valley, Ariziona is under attack from tarantulas. A low-budget but highly entertaining revenge-of-nature tale, made with thousands of real spiders.

THE FLY

1986, 20th Century Fox, 100 min. Dir. David Cronenberg.

This new version of the 1958 sci-fi hit isn’t just a remake but a complete reimagining, with director David Cronenberg mixing in his own sensibilities about organic life and its startling mutability. Teletransporter inventor Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum) inadvertently mixes his genes with a house fly’s when he decides to use himself as guinea pig. His future as a human being, including his romance with science writer Veronica (Geena Davis), changes forever as he begins a slow slide into a gooey half-man/half-insect, complete with superpowers and messianic delusions of grandeur. Chris Walas and Stephen Dupuis won Oscars in 1987 for Best Make-Up.

HELL HIGH

1989, JGM Enterprises, 84 min. Dir. Douglas Grossman.

“The teachers are tough … but their exams are murder.” A biology teacher (Maureen Mooney) is tormented by four students - who have no idea that the woman has a homicidal past.

THE CAR

1977, Universal, 98 min. Dir. Elliott Silverstein.

Wildly-deranged shocker about a mysterious black car given to mowing down anyone in its path. It soon dawns on desert town sheriff James Brolin that the homicidal car has no driver and may, in fact, be a satanic entity! One of our favorite guilty pleasures from the 1970s. With John Marley, Ronny Cox, R.G. Armstrong.

THE SENTINEL

1977, Universal, 92 min. Dir. Michael Winner.

In this creepy adaptation of Jeffrey Konvitz’s horror best-seller, a troubled model (Cristina Raines) moves into a New York apartment building that gives new meaning to the phrase “neighbors from Hell.” The all-star cast includes Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredith, John Carradine and Christopher Walken.

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...

The 2013 AFI Fest begins tonight with the opening gala of "Saving Mr. Banks", which I will be bypassing in favour of going to the Mazzy Star concert. But I will be plenty busy with the rest of the screenings in the next week. After several drafts and revisions to my schedule, I have finally coordinated my week.

AFI Film Fest http://www.afi.com/afifest/

Fri 11-8
4pm: Pickpocket (France - Robert Bresson)
9pm: An Evening with David O. Russell
Midnight: Big Bad Wolves (Israel)

Sat 11-9
1:15pm: Drones (USA)
3:45pm: In Bloom (Russia)
9:25pm: Breathe In (USA)
Midnight: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears (Belgium/France/Luxembourg)

Sun 11-10
11am: A Woman Under the Influence (USA - John Cassavetes)
4:30pm: Documenteur (France/USA - Agnès Varda)
8:45pm: Moebius (South Korea)
Midnight: R100 (Japan)

Mon 11-11
1pm: Manuscripts Don't Burn (Iran)
4pm: Closed Curtain (Iran)
7:30pm: The Invisible Woman (UK - Ralph Fiennes)

Tue 11-12
2:30pm: We Are the Best! (Sweden)
4:30pm: Manakamana (Nepal)
7:15pm: When Evening Falls On Bucharest (Romania/France)
9:45pm: The Green Inferno (USA/Chile)

Wed 11-13
1pm: Jodorowsky's Dune (USA)
3:45pm: The Congress (Israel/Germany/Poland)
11pm: After Hours (USA - Scorsese)

Thurs 11-14
1pm: Her (USA - new Spike Jonze)
4pm: Philomena (UK - new Stephen Frears)
7:30pm: Inside Llewyn Davis (USA - new Coen Bros.)

There were a wealth of other films that I had interest in; as some have already been shown in their country of origin, if any of you have seen some of these films and highly recommend them, let me know and I might change my schedule accordingly. The others as follows:

"Borgman" (Netherlands), directed by Alex van Warmerdam

"Little Black Spiders" (Belgium), directed by Patrice Toye

"The Rocket" (Australia) directed by Kim Mordaunt

"Like Father, Like Son" (Japan) directed by Hirokazu Koreeda

"Vic + Flo Saw a Bear" (Canada) directed by Denis Côté

"Nothing Bad Can Happen" (Germany) directed by Katrin Gebbe

"The Lunchbox" (India/France/Germany) directed by Ritesh Batra

"The Missing Picture" (Cambodia/France) directed by Rithy Panh

"Harmony Lessons" (Kazakhstan/Germany/France) directed by Emir Balgazin

And so it begins...

Each morning of the AFI Film Fest I hope to post the trailers(if they exist) of the films I will be seeing on that particular day. I have already heard from someone who had raves about India's film "The Lunchbox", and it looks like there's a window in my schedule where I can fit it in...either on Sunday or Wednesday.

Today's films:

Pickpocket

An Evening with David O. Russell

Big Bad Wolves

Two weeks ago I saw "Captain Phillips", I thought it was excellent. Very tense. Tom Hanks and the lesser known actors give fantastic performances.

This weekend I saw "About Time", a time travel/romance film starring Rachel McAdadms, Domhnall Gleeson (very good) and the always excellent Bill Nighy. It was a nice movie, I didn't feel that I wasted my time.

Strider,

Have you seen the Robert De Niro/Michelle Pfeiffer film, 'The Family' yet? It's just being released in the UK, any opinion from you or one of the other members would be appreciated.

Big puddle of meh. I haven't really liked a Luc Besson film since "Leon the Professional". His style is sloppy, all over the place. The cast is okay with the material they're given and it's been a while since I've seen Michelle Pfieffer in anything. But the joke of Robert De Niro taking the piss on his Goodfellas/Godfather past is long past its due date. That dog don't hunt no more.

Not worth seeing in a theatre...it's one you can wait to see on cable if you're a De Niro completist.

Strider,

Thanks for this. I think it was the cast that attracted me. Like you I haven't seen Michelle Pfieffer in a while, and I've always liked her work. I can take or leave Robert De Niro. So, you've saved me the price of a cinema ticket. Cheers!!

Big puddle of meh. I haven't really liked a Luc Besson film since "Leon the Professional". His style is sloppy, all over the place. The cast is okay with the material they're given and it's been a while since I've seen Michelle Pfieffer in anything. But the joke of Robert De Niro taking the piss on his Goodfellas/Godfather past is long past its due date. That dog don't hunt no more.

Not worth seeing in a theatre...it's one you can wait to see on cable if you're a De Niro completist.