I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Went to see Frozen with my sister today. Absolutely delightful!! And there were actual children in the theatre who behaved - nicely done, parents!! :)

I really liked that movie too. I took my oldest (2nd grade) to the father daughter dance last Saturday, that Let it Go song cam on and all the girls were singing the lyrics....LOL....it was very cute.

Hey ebk, I'm up in your neck of the woods this week. Taking the girls to see the baby pandas at the national zoo.

I really liked that movie too. I took my oldest (2nd grade) to the father daughter dance last Saturday, that Let it Go song cam on and all the girls were singing the lyrics....LOL....it was very cute.

Hey ebk, I'm up in your neck of the woods this week. Taking the girls to see the baby pandas at the national zoo.

And then I came home and watched Dallas Buyers Club... quite a difference. A quite moving film and the performances are brilliant.

Awwww... the pandas are so cute! I used to live down the street from the zoo and managed to never once go there :) I only seem to go when I have to travel great distances... Have a wonderful time!!

Watched quite a few movies since I've last posted.

amelie_ver2.jpgNEB_poster_invite.jpgfreeBirdsDVD_poster.jpg?width=300&height

Last-Vegas-2013-poster.jpgDALLAS%20BUYERS%20CLUB%20poster.jpgripd_final1sheet66.jpg

captainphillips_poster.jpg5456a871-8be4-42f6-b741-412f306c8830_ori

Amelie - Wanted to see this for a long time, worth the wait. The character descriptions and traits were hilarious.

Nebraska - I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as funny as I thought it was supposed to be.

Free Birds - Good stuff, very funny.

Last Vegas - Meh. A few laughs, but falls into the category of a lot of recent movies trying to succeed on the established reputations of the actors.

Dallas Buyers Club - Great movie, though not many surprises.

RIPD - Much funnier than I expected, and (IMO) undeserving of the Ripping Off Men In Black rap it received.

Captain Phillips - Intensely exciting, one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Ender's Game - Very disappointing after being such a big fan of the novel. As often happens, too much story to fit into 2 hours.

3 recently:

1) Admission (Tina Fey); love her, but this was sort of blah.

2) Fame (original); watched this a bunch of times in HS when it first came out, and hadn't seen it in years (maybe even since the 80s). It reminded me of why I've always loved the performing arts so much; such a great movie!

3) Match Point (2005/Woody Allen); very good film; not at all what I expected. I'm almost afraid to say more for fear of spoiling for anyone who hasn't seen.

Amelie - Wanted to see this for a long time, worth the wait. The character descriptions and traits were hilarious.

Nebraska - I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as funny as I thought it was supposed to be.

"Amelie" is one of my absolute faves...I was a fan of "Delicatessen" and "City of Lost Children" but still was unprepared for how exquisitely charming "Amelie" would be. Of course it lost the Best Foreign Film Oscar to a film whose name escapes me.

As for "Nebraska", many people don't care for Alexander Payne's type of humour, so you're not alone. Whenever I heard someone complain about "Nebraska" it was usually that they didn't find it funny.

I have seen way too many movies to encapsulate briefly here...I'll have to pick the very best ones I have seen lately to share with the forum.

"Amelie" is one of my absolute faves...I was a fan of "Delicatessen" and "City of Lost Children" but still was unprepared for how exquisitely charming "Amelie" would be. Of course it lost the Best Foreign Film Oscar to a film whose name escapes me.

As for "Nebraska", many people don't care for Alexander Payne's type of humour, so you're not alone. Whenever I heard someone complain about "Nebraska" it was usually that they didn't find it funny.

I have seen way too many movies to encapsulate briefly here...I'll have to pick the very best ones I have seen lately to share with the forum.

Have a lot of catching up to do. From memory -

Lone Survivor - glad I saw it, but another film where I wanted more of the soldiers' personal stories.

Nebraska - pretty good. Dern and Forte were good, but June Squibb stole the show.

Philomena - a pleasant surprise. Much better than I expected. Sad but plenty of laughs too.

The compilation of 2014 Oscar Nominated Live Action Short Films. I'd never seen something like this in a cinema before. Very enjoyable.

Only Lovers Left Alive - when I read the brief summary I thought "ugh another vampire movie", but this was no Twilight. It was beautiful, moody, a good cast, excellent music. May not be appealing to the masses - some comments I've read "Boring movie, nothing happens".

Some recent films I've seen on DVD:

The Fighter - good but not as good as Russell's American Hustle in my opinion - with the exception of Christian Bale, he seems to be good in everything he does.

The Master - one word - weird. Unfortunate we won't get to experience any future brilliant performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I'm on a Bale bender - Recently watched The Machinist, The Prestige, American Psycho. Bale great in each one and I liked all of the films as well.

Thank you, Strider. Will be looking forward to that. It seems a few people are talking about Amelie in a positive light. I'll check it out.

Thanks jb for your reviews.

Type O: Agree completely with Last Vegas. And Enders game. It seemed the ending of Ender's Game seemed rushed. I feel like that could've been better.

Edited by apantherfrommd

Thank you, Strider. Will be looking forward to that. It seems a few people are talking about Amelie in a positive light. I'll check it out.

"Amélie" is a beautiful romantic movie...a great "date-movie". Paris, and Montmartre in particular, have seldom looked better. Some actresses are born to play a role, they inhabit it so completely...Audrey Tautou was born to play Amélie.

It helps, of course, if you enjoy whimsy.

I saw it five or six times the year it was released and usually try to see it once a year...so I have probably seen it at least 20 times since 2001. A marvelous soundtrack by Yann Tiersen, too! Also watch for the great clip of Sister Rosetta Tharpe!

The cast......

I very much recommend parents take their kids to this film. My wife and I took our girls a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic underling message for parents, all while being thoroughly entertained.

The movie.......

post-841-0-70714700-1394542068.jpg

Yes, he was and he had a voice that in my opinion was made for "silent" pictures... :D

I'm guessing by that statement that you preferred the silent version to the sound remake then?

FYI, that vicious little bastard was played by Harry Earles, member of the legendary Doll Family aka The Dancing Dolls. You should recognize Harry Earles from another Tod Browning classic, "Freaks". Also, he was a member of the Lollipop Guild in "The Wizard of Oz"...that's Harry on the far right in the blue shirt:

I'm guessing by that statement that you preferred the silent version to the sound remake then?

Yes, the silent version I would put a few notches above the talking remake & I'm hardly a silent movie buff. A few things that were better in the silent version: The girl in the silent version was prettier & the love story a bit more tolerable than in the 1930 version, although the 1930 version went into a bit more detail about why Chaney's gorilla hated Hercules...

I really thought I wanted to see this.

But now that I've seen it, I'm thoroughly underwhelmed.

I was under the impression it was a comedy, but there was very little to be had.

And this is an odd thread to get political in, but that was my biggest take from the whole movie.

Yes, Woody Allen rips and shreds the socialite Haves, exposing their shallow, vacuous lives for all to see.

But the part I really found offensive was his portrayal of the regular people, the Have-nots, and what it exposes about Woody Allen and the Hollywood elitists.

Jasmine's sister Sally Hawkins, her boyfriend Bobby Cannavale, and Louis CK were all portrayed as regular folks with a good heart (for the most part), yet basically were functional morons who were so unsophisticated and unintelligent simpletons that all they did was work, drink and fuck.

Their conversations were that of teenagers in adult bodies, shallow and pointless.

I found it beyond annoying that these Hollywood elitists' (of whom Woody is part of the royalty) idea of regular folk, the 99% if you will, are unaware, minimally educated Johnny Punchclocks.

They functioned on pure emotion, with very little intelligence displayed.

I would guess Mr. Allen views this movie as an homage to the people who have to work for a living while excoriating those 1%ers who profit from unbridled greed and criminal recklessness with OPM (other people's money).

Instead, it's both a slap in the face to, and a blatant expose' of Woody and Friends' true perspective of what they no doubt consider the unwashed masses.

Don't get me wrong, it's very well-acted, and somewhat touching.

Andrew Dice Clay comes off - surprisingly - as one of the most honest and likeable characters of all.

But overall, I found the implicit snobbery a little too much to overcome.

Blue-Jasmine-2013-DVDScr-cover.jpg

Saw "August Rush". What a sweet film, and a lovely soundtrack. I think anyone who has always been passionate about music would enjoy this one. (Been on a bit of an Irish/musical kick with upcoming St. Patrick's Day...also rewatching "Once" and "The Commitments").

Enjoyed this, though it was surprisingly long - right at 3 hours.

Lots of cursing, drugs and sex.

wolf_of_wall_street_movie_poster_1_large

And for a nice throwback, I watched this for the umpteenth time.

It really never gets old.

The-Big-Lebowski-Movie-poster.jpeg

has anyone taken kids/grandkids to see the lego movie?

i'm told it has a few jokes for older kids/adults too .... ?

Yes! Go! You'll have fun...I was expecting the usual product-placement drivel but it is really a clever, fun, movie.