I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

On 7/11/2020 at 8:47 PM, Strider said:

What has me most intrigued is that the movie ("The Greyhound") is adapted from an old C.S. Forester war novel "The Good Shepherd".

Well I do not have Apple TV.  I have streaming so I think I can buy it?  I am using an Aussie channel called FUBO and YouTubeTV.   FUBO is great for sports whenever that happens again.   July 24th is the plan.  Cant wait to see how that is going to work.  I know ESPN is one option  as they have a contract but I a assuming that many games might come out on Pay Per View to make up for the loss's?  I wont pay to see the NBA or NHL playoffs unless St Louis goes far in hockey.  My team is out of it. What else is new.  The best hopes I have is for the Bills.  Maybe the O's in a 60 game schedule?  I still think there will b surprises.  

Showing the youngsters John Wayne movies before cancel-culture wipes them out.

"El Dorado" is basically Howard Hawks remaking his own "Rio Bravo"...with Robert Mitchum in the drunk role instead of Dino, and James Caan in the young hotshot role in place of Ricky Nelson. Interesting score by Nelson Riddle, who you usually don't expect on a Western. After John Ford, Howard Hawks was the director who got the best out of John Wayne.

107584799_3048315432061544_2421835451970142311_o.thumb.jpg.067ad534e02086ef9dd8bbee8c5f22eb.jpg

John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara made five films together. These were their last two..."McClintock" being better than the merely average "Big Jake". Not only does Maureen O'Hara get paddled in "McClintock" but so does a young pre-"Hart to Hart" Stefanie Powers. A pre-"Munsters" Yvonne De Carlo also appears. The story is basically Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" transported to the West.

"Big Jake" is basically piffle...an amusement to while away the time and nothing more.  Even Elmer Bernstein is on autopilot.

51FQUsM9L0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg.71680db2fed5020b2b32342ae63cbcf3.jpg_Big-Jake-(1971)_-Poster-Print.jpg.c63aed3d795c770d94d70174b00fe312.jpg

7 hours ago, reids said:

Watched these recently:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6032328/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Finding Steve McQueen

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3387520/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1
Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark 

R😎 🎥 🍿 

28AD9A39-64CF-499D-900E-1272A4E9BFCB.jpeg

Love the cartoon ending. 😄 I just watched A Tree Grows In Brooklyn a couple weeks ago.

18 hours ago, redrum said:

Never did. I'm sure I can find it on EBAY or Abebooks.

The book was very popular back in the 20th century. There are a million paperbacks out there so I'm sure you can pick one up very cheap.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

The book was very popular back in the 20th century. There are a million paperbacks out there so I'm sure you can pick one up very cheap.

Think I'll get this copy.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30580043160&cm_sp=SEARCHREC-_-WIDGET-L-_-BDP-H&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26tn%3Da%2Btree%2Bgrows%2Bin%2Bbrooklyn

• 3 weeks later...