Jump to content

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies


bigstickbonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

The first appearance of the Dead End Kids. Sylvia Sidney doesn't get as much attention as the other Golden Age dames such as Greta Garbo, Bette Davis, Gloria Swanson, Jean Harlow, Joan Crawford, Louise Brooks, Clara Bow, Carole Lombard, Myrna Loy, but she's every bit as good and she had amazing eyes. Her career lasted a good, long time, too. No tragic early death for her, thank god.

MV5BMDM2ZGY5MDQtZTUyMS00ZTgzLTk4YWMtMWM2YjE2NWQ1Yjk3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg.21183eebe7f992ea1d87bec05a22d3f9.jpg

There are no Frank Capras in Hollywood today.

Poster_-_Meet_John_Doe_01.jpg.e99f92a02413ecccca4c15afc82de7fc.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of Hitchcock's goofier, black humour films, with a jaunty Bernard Herrmann score...and Shirley Maclaine's debut.

524px-The_Trouble_with_Harry.jpg.1d17c42fc442fe2cd4bd76419bcdef8b.jpg

They used actual footage of the Jim Brown Cleveland Browns and you get to see the old Cleveland Stadium.

fortune-cookie-poster.jpg.3b417f1b408eea7a725cdf30a819ff7d.jpg

Paddy Chayefsky was one of the greatest screenwriters of the modern era. Diana Rigg, and all sorts of surprises in the supporting cast.

hospital.jpg.0a03c5d9470c883d23ea78f5a495a5a8.jpg

Definitely one of Brad Pitt's better ones.

killingthemsoftlybg1-500x662.jpg.541ebe30c97c8edbed2874e0b4aa5a9b.jpg

Edited by Strider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dead End....One of my faves ever. Bogey got filled with lead at the end.

Sylvia was a real beauty. She also starred in 'Finnegan Begin Again' with Robert Preston. She played Preston's wife and had a habit of stashing 20 dollar bills in her book collection. 

A young Sylvia Sidney - Juno in Beetlejuice | Hollywood, Hollywood icons,  Classic hollywood

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjAwMzU2NjMxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU5NTQyMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR13,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly, this was a dud. The leading actress was a Janet Gaynor wannabe. Great vintage footage of Santa Monica Beach and Thelma Todd's Roadhouse on PCH (she was murdered by the Mob because she refused to sell it to them) and the Marion Davies Beach House built for her by Willam Randolph Hearst.

574f1a7d00dd3804ec5ff217a5e14716.jpg.07f14355fc243494116409cbcb16644e.jpg

c754c0642449d6bba85f1bad5f7e2358.jpg.f760da9412106becf848bfa846228979.jpg

D8lA29sUYAAXCcT.thumb.jpeg.85632373a9717abab6210e9ab104396e.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2020 at 1:10 PM, Strider said:

That one is next up in my queue…along with "The Wicked Dreams of Paula Schultz".

 

I think you'll like the film  just for the locations and the mid century modern styles.

Last year Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got me thinking back to how SoCal used to be back in the day. I'm glad Tarrantino was able to capture at least one last homage to what used to be here. But there are so many films shot in Hollywood and Los Angeles saved on celluloid to go back and look at again---with so much of the architecture and style we once took for granted until everything got turned into one giant fucking strip mall selling some type of consumerist made in China crap or fast food.  I remember when a McDonalds or a Taco Bell wasn't every mile down the blvd. You might actually have to drive a few cities over to find a McDonalds.  And Starbuck WHAT THE FUCK!   Do we need a fucking Starbucks every 100 fucking yards?

One of my favorite period films shot in Los Angeles and set in the '50s is "L.A. Confidential". Great film noir story, great location shots.  Got to watch it again tonight.

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Edited by kipper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, redrum said:

Dang! Sorry about that. :(

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e1/0e/b9/e10eb97f7aff2374410dc8dd059447f3.jpg

Speaking of "haunting eyes", besides Clara Bow my favorite "eyes" were Gail Russell's eyes. But she of course had a sad and tragic early death---- basically drank herself to death.

She had the BEST kind of hair too. Thick, dark, and full hair....and then those piercing  blue eyes.  What a knock out!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, redrum said:

Gail Russell

But she of course had a sad and tragic early death---- basically drank herself to death.

Fucking alcohol.

First film I saw Gail Russell in was "Seven Men from Now" (1956) with Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin (produced by John Wayne).  At the time I thought--- wow what an attractive 40ish woman they got to play the role meant for a younger woman.  Not saying Gail Russell looked old, but there was certainly some "age" in her face. Turned out she was only in her early 30s.  Clearly alcohol was taking its toll on her then. She was dead at age 36 just five years later. Such a shame.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kipper said:

First film I saw Gail Russell in was "Seven Men from Now" (1956) with Randolph Scott and Lee Marvin (produced by John Wayne).  At the time I thought--- wow what an attractive 40ish woman they got to play the role meant for a younger woman.  Not saying Gail Russell looked old, but there was certainly some "age" in her face. Turned out she was only in her early 30s.  Clearly alcohol was taking its toll on her then. She was dead at age 36 just five years later. Such a shame.

 

 

Marvin as bad as ever. I see the old Lone Pine location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, redrum said:

Marvin as bad as ever. I see the old Lone Pine location.

YES!  Shot near Lone Pine California in the "Alabama Hills".  If you are ever that way you have to check out the film museum in Lone Pine. Strider has been there several times too, great little museum. 

Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, Owens River (Hot Creek)  are all iconic filming locations which made a western seem so much more dramatic with the interesting views and backgrounds.  A favorite of mine filmed in the Owens Valley was "Nevada Smith" with the king of cool Steve McQueen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, redrum said:

Resuming my task to watch every movie Thelma Ritter appeared in.

I know you know this:

Birdman Of Alcatraz

The Misfits

Natch. I'm going roughly in chronological order. I have completed all her years from 1947-1952. I just started the year 1953 this morning with "Titanic".

lf.jpeg.d8828652baca853688f27ec1842b6392.jpeg

And then for comparison's sake, decided to watch "A Night to Remember" from 1958 (with the recently departed Honor Blackman). A Titanic battle between Hollywood vs. Britain.

H0132-L177527550.thumb.jpg.4e98259f20ffd9c9ca9256785ccddf7e.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John M said:

I never got to see this on the big screen.  Amazing film.  Burton and Eastwood.

 

Yeah, I'd like to see it on the big screen too. Watching that I thought of this story:

On December 10, 1946, a flight of six Marine Corps R5C Curtis Commandos took off from MCAS El Toro, California, with over 200 Marines aboard, to NAS Sandpoint in Seattle, WA. Somewhere over southwest Washington the flight ran into a fierce Pacific Northwest storm. 4 of the aircraft turned around and landed at Portland, a 5th aircraft landed at NAS Sandpoint, and the 6th aircraft with 32 souls onboard disappeared.

Although a ground search was started immediately, an air search couldn’t start for two weeks because of the weather. After a week of searching, no debris from the plane could be found. It was determined the plane was pushed off course and crashed into Mt Rainier and there were no survivors.

In June of 1947, wreckage was spotted high on the South Tahoma Glacier and a team was sent to determine if it was the missing plane. Documents recovered indeed revealed it was the missing aircraft. A recovery mission was launched but it was determined that the conditions made impossible to recover the Marines and they were buried in place.

The glacier is still off limits to the morbid types. The memorial park is right across the street from me.

72nd Annual Marine Memorial Ceremony

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2020 at 2:12 PM, kipper said:

Speaking of "haunting eyes", besides Clara Bow my favorite "eyes" were Gail Russell's eyes. But she of course had a sad and tragic early death---- basically drank herself to death.

She had the BEST kind of hair too. Thick, dark, and full hair....and then those piercing  blue eyes.  What a knock out!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

 

Gail Russell, Va Va VOOM! What a gorgeous woman and damn fine actress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, redrum said:

Gail Russell

But she of course had a sad and tragic early death---- basically drank herself to death.

Fucking alcohol.

Most likely the studio system of the time drove her to drink. Just look at all the broken lives the system was responsible for. A crime IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 1:31 PM, kipper said:

YES!  Shot near Lone Pine California in the "Alabama Hills".  If you are ever that way you have to check out the film museum in Lone Pine. Strider has been there several times too, great little museum. 

Alabama Hills, Lone Pine, Owens River (Hot Creek)  are all iconic filming locations which made a western seem so much more dramatic with the interesting views and backgrounds.  A favorite of mine filmed in the Owens Valley was "Nevada Smith" with the king of cool Steve McQueen.

spacer.png

 

 

 

Were there any movie posters with a shirtless Karl Malden? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...