How would you rate It Might Get Loud?

I had mixed feelings about Jack White. I like his music, but why does playing the guitar have to be a struggle? And the scene they showed of him playing his guitar until his fingers were bleeding was a little disturbing. I mean, I sat there thinking "Is it really necessary to play until you're bleeding?" You know, just what is he trying to prove? But I still like his music.

I really liked The Edge in the film.

Not so much Jack White, who is such a poser, in my opinion. He's crafted his image that he wants to portray, he has it calculated out and acts in a way to fit that image. He even says in the movie that he was looking for "a way to get away with it", meaning to me that he's always looking for an angle, he's not totally honest in his portrayal as to who he really is. That's being a poser.

His music is not bad, nothing to complain about. I just don't like him as a person.

I posted this in another forum where someone had a similar viewpoint. I don't think that Jack White is a poser. I do think he very carefully crafts his image. You never know if what he is saying is true, and his dress and mannerisms are very contrived. But when you think about it, Page also was a master at molding his image, especially in the Zeppelin days. He was all about Magic, Mystery, dragon suits, provocative comments, etc.. Even in the movie he's wearing a frock coat and white puffy shirt which seems to be his current idea of what an supercool elder rock star looks like. Edge is the only one who seems normal, like you might run into him in a bar. Maybe that's why he comes across as the least interesting, to me anyhow.

Interesting commentary about Jack White. I knew nothing about him really before I saw the film, and my impression was that he seemed less self confident than the other 2 and maybe the image thing came from that. But then again, he is from a younger generation and the comments here about crafting his image are probably also correct; everything nowadays is about creating/maintaining The Brand (whether it be personal brand or corporate).

To be fair, he never said it had to be a struggle for everyone, it was a struggle for him. Just like Beethoven once said it was a fight between him and the piano, some musicians have different ways of approaching their instruments and music.

I can identify with this, actually. The only thing I'm good at, which sadly is not playing the guitar :( , when I took an exam, I'd pick what looked like the hardest question, because I knew it would force me to think and come up with something that hopefully wasn't just superficial. I'm sure other people found easier ways to reach the same goal, but that's how it worked for me.

To be fair, he never said it had to be a struggle for everyone, it was a struggle for him. Just like Beethoven once said it was a fight between him and the piano, some musicians have different ways of approaching their instruments and music.

Precisely. Jeff Beck has said he prefers the Strat because it's harder to play than a Les Paul and he feels the rewards are greater because of the difficulty.

I've always liked Jack White's music, but I kinda see what you mean about the poser aspect.

As for The Edge, I like him, I like his music, but when I think of the guitar and guitarist he's pretty far down the line. (maybe a documentary about effects pedals would suit him)

When your talking guitar and guitarist, and someone who embodied their generation as a guitarist then I think Eddie Van Halen would be a better choice than The Edge. EVH and The Edge are from the same generation (late seventies through the eighties.)

When I think in terms of guitar gods: I think the 60's would be dominated by Jimi Hendrix. The seventies by Jimmy Page, The eighties by EVH. Obviously their are other guitarist that played at the same or similar level as those three, (Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Randy Rhodes, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani David Gilmour, and on and on) but I think they are the ones that influenced or defined each respective generation the most.

That being said EVH would have probably ruined the film seeing as he's kinda obnoxious and somewhat childish. ( the polar opposite of Jimmy Page.) If he could control himself and humble himself it might have been good.

I LOVED the movie, I thought the balance of the 3 guitarists was perfect (though I cannot stand Jack White), I can see what they were trying to achieve by using those particular three.

U2 being "over-rated" is one of the most ridiculous comments I've EVER read (time and time again). What DOES over-rated mean? It means YOU don't like them. Don't tell millions of others what they should think.

I also see what people are trying to say about White being pretentious/dishonest and I don't completely agree, but I did feel that his behaviour in the movie only served to emphasise how the other two didn't need to have props to try to look cool - they just did, they just are.

i saw it at the birmingham showing last week. i think it's a great film and not just because jimmy's in it although thats what draws most of us to it. it presents the relationship between guitarists and their instruments in a thoughtful and interesting way.

i'm looking forward to receiving the dvd so i can watch the extra clips. my one criticism is that the credits come up over the one song they sit down to play together as a whole, rather than one man showing the others how to play their own song. its kinda like the film was aiming for that conclusion but cut short too quickly

i liked all three sections, including the edge's who i knew least about

I LOVED the movie, I thought the balance of the 3 guitarists was perfect (though I cannot stand Jack White), I can see what they were trying to achieve by using those particular three.

U2 being "over-rated" is one of the most ridiculous comments I've EVER read (time and time again). What DOES over-rated mean? It means YOU don't like them. Don't tell millions of others what they should think.

I also see what people are trying to say about White being pretentious/dishonest and I don't completely agree, but I did feel that his behaviour in the movie only served to emphasise how the other two didn't need to have props to try to look cool - they just did, they just are.

i agree the balance was perfection

my one criticism is that the credits come up over the one song they sit down to play together as a whole, rather than one man showing the others how to play their own song. its kinda like the film was aiming for that conclusion but cut short too quickly

That's exactly what I thought.

(And it didn't help that some guy who was leaving during that part kept trying to attract my attention by saying something, and when I finally said "WHAT?" he said "Are you into Wicca?" :blink: )

I saw it last week for the first time and i enjoyed it so much. The story telling by all three men were superb and i learned from the film as well. Of course the parts with Jimmy were the best, i loved the parts at Headley Grange and his stories about the making of the Fourth Album. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has been wanting to see it. I am hoping to see it again soon.

Well it is finally being shown here in NZ at last, and thanks to this forum, I was eager to drive the two and a half hour journey to see it!! And I was very entertained. One of my favourite scenes was the footage of the live U2 concert, the whole audience were 'one' with the band, with their arms raised, what a feeling that must be for the players!! Do not know much about the Edge, but came away thinking he was a very down to earth guy, Jack White took some getting used to, and I felt there were way too many scenes of him, but loved it when he played that old blues number on the record player, and saying the first time he heard it - it became his favoutite song - AND still is!! I held my breath though, when Led Zep music came on - it was so moving. Such classical music. All of it was just amazing, the old footage of the music scenes around in Jimmy's day, and the old school photo, when his guitar got confiscated. James Page a Biological Researcher haha. What a cool movie, we just enjoyed it so much - laughed out loud all throughout. It might get loud, best thing to do on a Sunday afternoon!!

Archived