How would you rate It Might Get Loud?

I say its very good as a fan of both Zep and the White Stripes it was pretty enjoyable. I dont like U2 as much, but the Edge is a pretty cool guy.

I have to agree. I rented it the day it was released. I am gonna purchase it soon, I just wanted to see it before I actually bought it. Of course, for me personally, I am gonna buy it just for the fact that it features Jimmy. Of course, the whole time when all three appear together to talk and jam, my attention was always focused on Mr. Page.

I have to say that I, too, am not really a fan of U2. In my opinion, U2 has to be one of the most over-rated groups ever. Plus the fact that Bono appears to be one of the most egotistical people on the planet doesn't help. The only U2 song that I can think of that I actually do like is "Bullet the Blue Sky". To me, there is a "Zeppelinesque" element to that song. I could do without the rest.

Jack White really impressed me. I didn't know a whole lot about him but a couple of years ago, I saw him on tv perform on some music awards show (or something like that) and can remember that the guitar solo he played was very much Jimmy Page influenced. I remember that really impressed me.

I think that if the producers and director could have gotten Joe Perry (Aerosmith) or Alex Lifeson (Rush) in place of the Edge, "It Might Get Loud" would have been even more enjoyable for me.

I have to agree. I rented it the day it was released. I am gonna purchase it soon, I just wanted to see it before I actually bought it. Of course, for me personally, I am gonna buy it just for the fact that it features Jimmy. Of course, the whole time when all three appear together to talk and jam, my attention was always focused on Mr. Page.

I have to say that I, too, am not really a fan of U2. In my opinion, U2 has to be one of the most over-rated groups ever. Plus the fact that Bono appears to be one of the most egotistical people on the planet doesn't help. The only U2 song that I can think of that I actually do like is "Bullet the Blue Sky". To me, there is a "Zeppelinesque" element to that song. I could do without the rest.

Jack White really impressed me. I didn't know a whole lot about him but a couple of years ago, I saw him on tv perform on some music awards show (or something like that) and can remember that the guitar solo he played was very much Jimmy Page influenced. I remember that really impressed me.

I think that if the producers and director could have gotten Joe Perry (Aerosmith) or Alex Lifeson (Rush) in place of the Edge, "It Might Get Loud" would have been even more enjoyable for me.

yea i was pretty much ok...move on to Jimmy...wheres Jimmy? come on Jimmy! haha

I saw it at the cinema earlier in the year.

No word when the DVD will be released here although I've heard rumours it will be February.

Overall it was a good movie and I was aware of Jack and Dave prior to it but of course JP was the main attraction and judging by the rapport between them he didn't think he was either, even if the others were in awe of his presence.

I think U2 get a bad rap that isn't really deserved, I only have the Rattle And Hum CD and it's brilliant and I'm not a follower of the band by any stretch.

As for being an egotist which actor, entertainer or musician etc, isn't?

The whole premise of the documentary was to bring 3 guitarists from 3 different eras / generations together to talk and ultimately play music, with a bit of background on each of them thrown in for good measure.

It was never meant to be otherwise, so having Perry or Lifeson or anyone else for that matter, IMGL may not have been anything like it turned out.

One thing I learned is that Jimmy is not too familiar with The Band! wink.gif

I saw it at the cinema earlier in the year.

No word when the DVD will be released here although I've heard rumours it will be February.

Overall it was a good movie and I was aware of Jack and Dave prior to it but of course JP was the main attraction and judging by the rapport between them he didn't think he was either, even if the others were in awe of his presence.

I think U2 get a bad rap that isn't really deserved, I only have the Rattle And Hum CD and it's brilliant and I'm not a follower of the band by any stretch.

As for being an egotist which actor, entertainer or musician etc, isn't?

The whole premise of the documentary was to bring 3 guitarists from 3 different eras / generations together to talk and ultimately play music, with a bit of background on each of them thrown in for good measure.

It was never meant to be otherwise, so having Perry or Lifeson or anyone else for that matter, IMGL may not have been anything like it turned out.

One thing I learned is that Jimmy is not too familiar with The Band! wink.gif

I do not want to get off topic here, but I feel I must reply about "being an egotist which actor... isn't), I would say that one of the greatest actors of all-time (if not the Greatest, in my opinion) Mr. Robert De Niro, is not egotistical at all. I have watched almost all of his movies and read a couple of books about him. He just received one of America's highest honors earlier this month, the Kennedy Centers Honor, and I think that he was more embarassed than proud about the whole thing affair. Yes, he is very guarded about his private life (just like Jimmy) almost too the point of being the opposite of an egotistical "actor". Again, all this is just my honest opinion. Of course everything is up to debate. (By the way, I like to debate).

Anyone who gives the "star treatment" to an artist, is pandering to that artist's ego.

Regardless of whether they like to watch or listen to their own performances or not is irrelevent, it is all about "look at me" and that is not necessarily a bad thing, when they deliver.

Musicians and stage actors have a real connection with their audience that actors on screen rarely experience (movie premieres), because of the "live" element and unpredictability of the situation.

It doesn't alter the fact that they all are egoists, egocentrics or egotists to a degree.

You only have to look at some of the preposterous demands like "imported frogs dicks from Peru", on the "star's" rider. rolleyes.gif

Everyone has an ego so we are all susceptible to egotism from time to time, some more frequent than others.

Back to topic....

It was very clear in the movie that all egos were left at the front door. wink.gif

Yep. I really don't know much/care about U2, but The Edge seems to know what he's doing. And Jack White, he doesn't get the attention he deserves I don't think. He knows how to play guitar and I think people forget about that. And Jimmy Page, everybody want's to know his tricks! Yes my favorite part of the movie is when he plays "Whole Lotta Love"! Also when he introduces us to some Link Wray (Rumble). He's so funny when he's playing his "air" guitar!

I say its very good as a fan of both Zep and the White Stripes it was pretty enjoyable. I dont like U2 as much, but the Edge is a pretty cool guy.

I didn't catch it at the movie theaters since it wasn't shown near me but I did watch the iTunes version of it when it was first released. It was really good I thought. I also bought the dvd on the day it came out cause I wanted to see the deleted scenes that weren't included on the iTunes download version. Those deleted scenes with Jimmy in them are worth the price of the dvd I feel. My favorite part of the movie is when Jimmy is playing his records in his music room. He looks so happy and having fun! If you haven't bought the dvd yet, buy it! The deleted scenes with Jimmy are great!

I also enjoyed the scenes with Edge in them playing guitar. I do like some of Jack White's music like White Stripes and Dead Weather but for some reason on the film Jack seemed kinda arrongant. I have seen/read interviews with Jack in the past and he didn't come off that way so I am not for sure why I felt he did on the film. There is a deleted scene on the dvd where Jimmy is playing Seven Nation Army with Edge and Jack and it is good. Jimmy looks like he is really enjoying it.

I saw the film (twice) for the first time yesterday and want to see it again! For a guitarist, it's a dream come true to see and hear from these musicians I admire so much, particularly Lord Page of course. The entire film could have been about Jimmy, but it was also interesting to hear about Edge's and Jack's journey.

It was a deeply surreal experience to see Jimmy play U2's "I Will Follow". Loved Jimmy's jokingly critical comment to Edge, "Are you sure about that C?" But how great was Edge's playing on the Zep number, just beautiful all those delicate filigrees he threw in.

Five stars from me

I saw the film (twice) for the first time yesterday and want to see it again! For a guitarist, it's a dream come true to see and hear from these musicians I admire so much, particularly Lord Page of course. The entire film could have been about Jimmy, but it was also interesting to hear about Edge's and Jack's journey.

It was a deeply surreal experience to see Jimmy play U2's "I Will Follow". Loved Jimmy's jokingly critical comment to Edge, "Are you sure about that C?" But how great was Edge's playing on the Zep number, just beautiful all those delicate filigrees he threw in.

Five stars from me

love how Jimmy said, "Oh Sh*t!"

love how Jimmy said, "Oh Sh*t!"

Ha- he forgot he was on camera I imagine. He's usually careful not to swear and/or do ungentlemanly things during interviews, or at least used to be.

I wonder why he claimed that he can't sing.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the movie. It's not about Jimmy Page, The Edge, & Jack White. The movie is about the guitar as a rock & roll instrument, the musicians are almost secondary. These are 3 very different rock & roll guitarists from different eras who have one thing in common: the allure of the electric guitar & what brought each of them to where they are/were in their relationship with the guitar. What's the point of having similar guitarists from the same sort of background ala Joe Perry or Alex Lifeson instead of The Edge? I'm not a huge U2 fan by any means but the movie itself wants to present another angle of rock & roll guitar that Page would already negate by having someone like Perry or Lifeson in it instead of The Edge or someone like him from his era or niche.

Anyway, it's a fantastic movie & concept whether Page was in it or not but obviously Page makes the movie, & The Edge & Jack White were great too. I had tears of happiness after watching the movie because it was very moving hearing & watching all 3 principles communicate their individual & shared passions for what they do. It's now in my top 5 music doc's of all time, & I say that as a fan of many.

I've watched the film yesterday for the fourth time and it is getting better everytime I see it. I really loved it from the first time I saw it. Not only from a musical point of view, but also from a filmic one. The whole concept and presentation of the guitars and the guitarists was really well done and thought through. Especially the intro of the film, when Jimmy plays Embryo No 1, how the details of the guitars are displayed is just wonderful. And also other shots in the film are overwhelming (after all Guillermo Navarro is one of the cinematographers).

One of my absolute favourite parts is when Jimmy is sitting in front of Headly Grange and playing Battle of Evermore on the mandolin. I think it was good that the focus and main theme of the film was on the guitar (like it was supposed to be), but they also brought different aspects and talents from each of the guitarists (like Jack White on the piano).

Five stars from me ^^

ihave only seen it once, at the sydney film festival last year, and i loved it. for some unknown reason, oz isn't getting it on dvd till about february. my kids gave me a voucher to buy it as soon as it is available :D

fave part for me was jimmy walking into headley grange, and also the battle of evermore. i just can't wait to see the added extras!

ps i also agree with the comment about u2 being one of the most overrated bands, but agree that the edge seemed a nice, down to earth and very talented guy.

5 stars from me!

DVD release in Germany and Austria, Feb 12th. I can't wait! Maybe I'll order the UK release... (no FSK on the cover...)

I'm totally addicted to this film, I'm going to watch it again (the fifth time) on Jan 6th, together with my parents ^^

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b00pjkyz

A review of the film on now

Anne dusts off her air guitar to discuss the latest crop of films which attempt to capture the rock and roll spirit: a biopic of Ian Dury and adocumentary about three generations of guitar heroes Jimmy Page, of Led Zeppelin, Jack White, of the White Stripes, and The Edge of U2. Music commentators Robert Sandall and Lucy O'Brien turn the volume up to eleven.

forward to 20 mins for the review

My only complaint is that they didn't cover Jimmy's Les Paul. That would have been more interesting than the embryo guitar imo.

You mean in the sense that they didn't discuss it, right? Because Jimmy was shown playing it several times. The finish in some places looks like it suffered a mild case of wormwood at some point, I'd never noticed that before. You can see it when he's playing "Ramble On," IIRC.

I just got the DVD yesterday. I can't stop watching the extras, they're fantastic. Page showing The Edge & White the "Kashmir" riff is my favorite. I never knew Page came up with the riff during "Swan Song" as I thought "Swan Song" came about after "Kashmir" was already recorded. I really enjoyed the press conference too. I also liked Page playing those old Cromwell & Nashville guitars during "Four Sticks".

Archived