Jimmy Page's Plant Plea

zepps_apprentice

From what I remember of Live Aid they weren't "officially" introduced as Led Zeppelin.

Now that you mention it I do recall (I had forgotten about it!) reading something about it at the time but as usual it all petered out.

Was it that they couldn't find a suitable drummer?

I know Robert was on good terms with Phil Collins after The Principle of Moments sessions and while he may not've been as dynamic as Bonzo I think with some rehearsal he may have been adequate.

Back to topic....

I'm wondering about whether all this inactivity from Robert is affecting his creativity from both a recording and performance perspective because we don't know for certain when or if anything with Alison is happening in the short term.

If by all accounts he checked out JPJ with TCV and (surely) is aware of the Beijing thing with Jimmy hopefully it has gotten the juices flowing and he will do some kind of gig / tour this year though not necessarily with the above.

Tony Thompson was the drummer. Got to rehearsal stage. Things happened, Robert walked.

From what I remember of Live Aid they weren't "officially" introduced as Led Zeppelin. Now that you mention it I do recall (I had forgotten about it!) reading something about it at the time but as usual it all petered out. Was it that they couldn't find a suitable drummer?

Officially introduced? Well, for one thing the Live Aid promotional materials, such as posters, only mention Robert Plant, Phil Collins and Paul Martinez, and even so separately. But you see, Jimmy was later asked by Robert to participate, and Jimmy in turn spoke with JPJ. The live MTV coverage (below) presents this quite nicely with Phil Collins introducing everyone by name and the announcer intoning ..."for what is now being called a Led Zeppelin reunion...".

Then there is Ahmet at the Atlanctic Recrords' 40th Anniversary Party..."they call themselves Led Zeppelin!"

Note they weren't billed or introduced as Led Zeppelin at Jason Bonham's wedding reception either but it doesn't change the fact Jason played on drums with them yet again that evening.

I agree the 02 is noteworthy in that it remains the only full-length concert performed by the surviving members.

As far as the '86 rehearsals are concerned, Tony Thompson was injured in an auto accident the second night, and though they carried on with a drum machine and others on drums for another eight days it went nowhere.

Robert found he was more comfortable being the pilot of the storm as a solo artist in his own band and had quickly grown impatient with all the concessions necessary to facilitate the return of the monster.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9AzIsSHJJq4

Such as Jimmy fiddling with his guitar treatments . . .

I'm not saying that Taylor's contribution wasn't good live, quite the contrary, it's just that Jones was more melodic and they were more adventurous in the studio with him introducing sitars etc, it was Jones not Richards.

I hadn't thought about his health or the legal side of him getting into America but the fact remains they approached him to leave not the other way around.

Very true that they asked him to leave, I was just saying that he had in effect left anyway, as he was totally out of it, and agreed himself that it had to happen. As for Jones/Taylor, I loved them both, and saw them both live--they were just great in different ways, IMO. (Jones was a great instrumentalist, no doubt about it.)

post-9067-126436545709_thumb.jpeg

Lotta thoughts there Reggie, many of which I agree with. Gotta say I respectfully disagree that the Stones' best work was with Brian Jones (in that I thought the Mick Taylor years were equally good--great in a different way), and also although it's true Jones was sacked from the band he co-founded, even he agreed at the time it was necessary, as he was in no shape to perform, and couldn't get into America to tour because of his many drug busts.

I concur. I actually believe the Stones were much more palatable after they evolved and matured somewhat. Sticky Fingers has got to be my favorite with Some Girls a close second.

post-9067-126436545709_thumb.jpeg

I concur. I actually believe the Stones were much more palatable after they evolved and matured somewhat. Sticky Fingers has got to be my favorite with Some Girls a close second.

The Mick Taylor era was my favorite.

I've got a documentary on The Stones that I taped off TV and one of the guys involved with their early management, I can't remember off hand who, said of Brian Jones in the beginning, something like; "We gotta get rid of this guy, he's incoherent".

I admire bands like The Stones, The Who, AD/CD....because they aren't afraid to risk failure. And that was part of what it was about to start with. If Led Zeppelin were to not want to go on because of this risk, that would be more pathetic than anything they could do to make fools of themselves by taking that risk.

The Mick Taylor era was my favorite.

I've got a documentary on The Stones that I taped off TV and one of the guys involved with their early management, I can't remember off hand who, said of Brian Jones in the beginning, something like; "We gotta get rid of this guy, he's incoherent".

I admire bands like The Stones, The Who, AD/CD....because they aren't afraid to risk failure. And that was part of what it was about to start with. If Led Zeppelin were to not want to go on because of this risk, that would be more pathetic than anything they could do to make fools of themselves by taking that risk.

The risk of not living up to expectations...part of it I'm sure. More importantly would be is this really a priority at this point in their lives....and most inportant--------Is their heart into doing this. We as fans can be self-centered in saying that they "owe it to us" -or- "it's on my lifelong list of things to do," but they have nothing left to prove to the fans. Times have changed and so has the music. The only possibility of some new combination coming about in my opinion is only if they do it for themselves. Now I recently heard a band being interviewed over the radio about why they were getting back together to do some more shows. One of the members simply stated "there was no real reason...we did it for ourselves because we thought it would be a fun thing to do." I think when we pigeon hole LZ thinking that they must do what we believe is in their best interests....it can actually stear them away from doing this. I personally think that the best chance for some sort of reformation/revival would happen by chance --and not by design. Each musician would be involved in their own music/projects...get the creative adrenaline flowing again...and they run across each other in the hall (maybe outside the men's room or something) and say "hey......wouldn't it be fun if we played together again...just for the hell of it."

And that would be that...

I only saw Brian Jones once, in August, 1966, but it was an excellent concert with all five original members, along with Ike and Tina Turner and Otis Redding, which totally rocked.

It was not until around 1995-1998 that I saw the Rolling Stones live again. By that time, Mick Taylor was no longer in the band, so I cannot really offer a comparison, as I have only heard him play on recordings.

In those days Jimmy Page was still with the Yardbirds. It was a little while after that when I noticed while watching television that Jimmy Page had a new singer. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Led-Zeppelin ended when John Bonham passed. That is one of the great tragedies in music. However, it would be an even worse tragedy if they attempted to carry on as Lynyrd Skynyrd have done. Are any of the original members even in Skynyrd now??

i have been saying the same thing for years!led zep is not led zep without the original members.

gary rossington is the only original member of lynyrd skynyrd still in the current lineup.really,they are just

a glorified skynyrd coverband now.artimus pyle is not in skynyrd now,but he is the only other member

of the band still alive other than GR.

IMHO as a 40 year fan of Led Zeppelin some of the comments here are alarming. These men gave us what I believe to be the absolute best music ever. I respect the fact that maintaining the legacy of this music has been honored. I have supported all of their efforts in their solo careers and will continue to.

I miss the hell out of seeing them live as there was nothing like it IMO.Only Jason could respectfully replace Bonzo.

Even though everyone is entitled to their opinion...I am really tired of peoples negative comments about Jimmy's drug years and blaming Robert for the band not getting together.

These men are so talented that no matter what they do even to this day is far better that 99% of the newer bands that are around. Edit: their solo careers are the other 1%

I can't wait to see TCV this Thursday and to see what Jimmy has planned...and Robert, whats his next move!

I hope I have not offended anyone, but damn it this is my band and to read some of the comments on several of these threads at times makes me a bit angry...and I don't like to feel that way as the music is supposed to be what brings us together.

Long Live The Mighty Zeppelin and I am so very proud to be part of that "Ocean" of loyal fans..and I love the fact that so many young fans have found this music and are embracing it.

These men don't have to beg anyone for anything!!!

IMHO as a 40 year fan of Led Zeppelin some of the comments here are alarming. These men gave us what I believe to be the absolute best music ever. I respect the fact that maintaining the legacy of this music has been honored. I have supported all of their efforts in their solo careers and will continue to.

I miss the hell out of seeing them live as there was nothing like it IMO.Only Jason could respectfully replace Bonzo.

Even though everyone is entitled to their opinion...I am really tired of peoples negative comments about Jimmy's drug years and blaming Robert for the band not getting together.

These men are so talented that no matter what they do even to this day is far better that 99% of the newer bands that are around. Edit: their solo careers are the other 1%

I can't wait to see TCV this Thursday and to see what Jimmy has planned...and Robert, whats his next move!

I hope I have not offended anyone, but damn it this is my band and to read some of the comments on several of these threads at times makes me a bit angry...and I don't like to feel that way as the music is supposed to be what brings us together.

Long Live The Mighty Zeppelin and I am so very proud to be part of that "Ocean" of loyal fans..and I love the fact that so many young fans have found this music and are embracing it.

These men don't have to beg anyone for anything!!!

I don't see the need to defend Robert or Jimmy against anything anyone has to say on the subject. My guess is that if Led Zeppelin reformed, the same people who so loyally defend them with the "it's just as well, because they would look like foolish old rockers like The Stones and The Who" attitude, would be some of the biggest worriers about getting tickets to the concert.

What was the deal with Jimmy's 'back injury' during the BC tour? Somewhere, I read a remark that Jimmy simply didn't want to continue the tour and used it as an excuse to back out. Was it for real?

Jimmy's injury was quite real and all that conspiracy talk about it being an excuse is a crock of shit. I can't discuss the specifics on the board but get in touch I will tell you the pertinent details without breaking things said in confidence.

let's be honest here folks,i love plant and have been a 40 year fan of led zeppelin.

with that said,he's really a big asshole when it comes to the surviving members.

let's also remember,a lot of bad karma hit robert in the led zep era,1968-1980,he lost his son,he lost bonzo,

so i can see why he does'nt want to visit that road.and nobody could ever replace him as

led zeppelin's lead singer!

let's be honest here folks,i love plant and have been a 40 year fan of led zeppelin.

with that said,he's really a big asshole when it comes to the surviving members.

let's also remember,a lot of bad karma hit robert in the led zep era,1968-1980,he lost his son,he lost bonzo,

so i can see why he does'nt want to visit that road.and nobody could ever replace him as

If you understand his reasons, how can you consider him an asshole?? :huh:

(Steve, I feel I'll regret this question too)

Well, as another 40 year fan, who is loyal to ALL OF THE MEMBERS...why would you say the sympathetic things and absolutely ruin it by calling Robert what you did?

I know and respect that you have a right to your opinion, but I have now formed my opinion of you...and that's my right.It never ceases to amaze me at some of the things stated :thumbdown:

Archived