Jimmy Page's Plant Plea

zepps_apprentice

yea i know just though it was interesting how Jimmy seems to be getting a little mad at Plant

More frustration than being mad.

He really is between a rock and a hard place.

He gets asked "the" question whenever he is interviewed so what else can he say except that it would be impossible to tour a band (Led Zeppelin) without the singer and to ask Robert?

Even though it's not really them without Bonzo it would definitely not be without Plant (or the others for that matter).

IMO that's why the experiment to find another singer didn't pan out, because in their heart of hearts JP & JPJ really wanted to work again with Plant.

Right or wrong it's the singer that makes songs lyrically recognisable regardless of whether the music accompanying them is provided by the original members.

The media are sweating on anything relating to another reunion and since JPJ is doing the TCV thing and now JP announcing he is releasing new music and ("hopeful" of) returning to the stage this year they are trying to put pressure on Plant.

As if that'll help!

• 2 weeks later...

Does it lie in his hands or...in his voice... :P

I doubt very much that I would have ever been interested in Robert Plant had I never heard him sing with Led Zeppelin. His voice is not typical of what appeals to my taste. It just happened to work for me in the context of Led Zeppelin. It's not hard for me to imagine someone else who could actually do a better job in that same position.

For me, Jimmy Page is Led Zeppelin, much the same way as some say Keith Richards is the Rolling Stones.

My plea to Jimmy would be, get another singer and don't look back!

I doubt very much that I would have ever been interested in Robert Plant had I never heard him sing with Led Zeppelin. His voice is not typical of what appeals to my taste. It just happened to work for me in the context of Led Zeppelin. It's not hard for me to imagine someone else who could actually do a better job in that same position.

For me, Jimmy Page is Led Zeppelin, much the same way as some say Keith Richards is the Rolling Stones.

Seems Jimmy Page must have different thoughts...

I wish he would get another singer, too. Hopefully another great one.

At the very least...

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are the Rolling Stones..

just like at the very least Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are Led Zeppelin..unledded. ;)

I wish he would get another singer, too. Hopefully another great one.

I am all for Jimmy finding a singer to collaborate with provided it's new material, ala the Coverdale/Page album. But finding someone new to sing Led-Zeppelin and being billed as Led-Zeppelin is just wrong on so many levels. One of the great things that has stood the test of time has been the legacy that Led-Zeppelin left behind. Much like the giant shadowy blimp on the Remasters Box Set, Zeppelin cast its imposing figure on the history of rock music and one of the reasons that has remained in tact is the fact that they didn't give in to the millions of dollars being thrown at them and instead, stood their ground and said, "We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were."

Led-Zeppelin ended when John Bonham passed. That is one of the great tragedies in music. However, it would be an even worse tragedy if they attempted to carry on as Lynyrd Skynyrd have done. Are any of the original members even in Skynyrd now???

I applaud Plant for his views and his decision. And I applaud Page for accepting that.

I am all for Jimmy finding a singer to collaborate with provided it's new material, ala the Coverdale/Page album. But finding someone new to sing Led-Zeppelin and being billed as Led-Zeppelin is just wrong on so many levels. One of the great things that has stood the test of time has been the legacy that Led-Zeppelin left behind. Much like the giant shadowy blimp on the Remasters Box Set, Zeppelin cast its imposing figure on the history of rock music and one of the reasons that has remained in tact is the fact that they didn't give in to the millions of dollars being thrown at them and instead, stood their ground and said, "We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were."

Led-Zeppelin ended when John Bonham passed. That is one of the great tragedies in music. However, it would be an even worse tragedy if they attempted to carry on as Lynyrd Skynyrd have done. Are any of the original members even in Skynyrd now???

I applaud Plant for his views and his decision. And I applaud Page for accepting that.

I agree with this completely. The four equally made Led Zeppelin and Peter Grant, let's just say they don't make them like that anymore. As much as I would love to see them with Jason (and only Jason to be called Led Zeppelin), the legacy of the music they created cannot be duplicated with anyone else.

Like everyone else, I can't wait to see what the absolute musical genius of Jimmy Page brings us.I love all of their solo projects that they have done since Led Zeppelin...which again shows the talent that these men have.

About time Jimmy came out and said it. Seeems as if was in fear of pissing Robert off. The window for them to ever play together is fast closing. They wont be able to preform as able musicians for ever.

What is it you imagine Jimmy just said, except that it's Robert who doesn't want to do another reunion, which everybody already knew (including Jimmy, even before the O2)? :huh: And he still doesn't, so I'm afraid it's time to consider the window closed unless something extraordinary happens.

I feel the same way. I just want Jimmy to move on without Robert. He doesn't need Robert.

What is it you imagine Jimmy just said, except that it's Robert who doesn't want to do another reunion, which everybody already knew (including Jimmy, even before the O2)? :huh: And he still doesn't, so I'm afraid it's time to consider the window closed unless something extraordinary happens.

If you read Jimmy's new interview in Mojo, it seems he most definitely did not feel that Robert was only interested in doing one show as they prepared for the O2...

I will sing for Mr Page until Mr Plants returns,

I will post a demo for all to judge, what do you think of Jimmi Page and the band of his choice doing classic LZ and some classic rock?

I know I would love to hear Jimmi play the solos on other classic rock songs. Have guest singers in different cities on the tour?

Mr Page we all want you to be playing again....get it going.... It might get Robert excited about playing again. we lz fnz want Mr Plant in LZ

But finding someone new to sing Led-Zeppelin and being billed as Led-Zeppelin is just wrong on so many levels. One of the great things that has stood the test of time has been the legacy that Led-Zeppelin left behind.

I prefer it when a band has the courage to take the risk of continuing, despite tragedies or members simply leaving. If it fails, at least they tried. I respect that more than any legacy. I don't see it as spoiling the legacy anyway. For me The Who aren't much without John Entwistle, but it doesn't spoil my memories of their past, even though they chose what I consider one of the most boring bass players in the world (Pino Palladino).

The decision is made by them, not the fans. Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend decided to go on as the Who, so be it. Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones decided against it, that's their choice, too.

What do you think of Jimmy Page and the band of his choice doing classic LZ and some classic rock?

That was already done with The Black Crowes in 2000. At this point, it's got to be new music or nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I intend to be working on other projects before the end of the year. I intend to get things moving, a solo project".

Jimmy Page, July 2003 (interview with Dominic Mohan of The Sun)

That was already done with The Black Crowes in 2000. At this point, it's got to be new music or nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I intend to be working on other projects before the end of the year. I intend to get things moving, a solo project".

Jimmy Page, July 2003 (interview with Dominic Mohan of The Sun)

According to you or Jimmy, though? You really think he wouldn't want to play some LZ material? :huh:

According to you or Jimmy, though? You really think he wouldn't want to play some LZ material? huh.gif

He's already said the intent is to manifest new music, but a proper tour necessitates performing Led Zeppelin. He cannot tour without performing Led Zeppelin unless he want's to be playing 2,000 seat venues.

He's already said the intent is to manifest new music, but a proper tour necessitates performing Led Zeppelin. He cannot tour without performing Led Zeppelin unless he want's to be playing 2,000 seat venues.

Do you think he really has a problem with small venues, Steve? I know people think of arenas and stadia when you think of Jimmy Page, but I saw him at a small theater in Pittsburgh in '88, and with the Crowes at Roseland in NY in 1999. They were truly memorable for the audience and Jimmy seemed to be enjoying himself too...

Do you think he really has a problem with small venues, Steve? I know people think of arenas and stadia when you think of Jimmy Page, but I saw him at a small theater in Pittsburgh in '88, and with the Crowes at Roseland in NY in 1999. They were truly memorable for the audience and Jimmy seemed to be enjoying himself too...

No, he doesn't have a problem with small venues, and small venues are more conducive to presenting new music. In fact, he favored them for the Coverdale/Page project but David insisted on arenas. What I'm saying

is if he doesn't perform Led Zeppelin he won't be able to play arena-sized venues in most markets, that's all.

No, he doesn't have a problem with small venues, and small venues are more conducive to presenting new music. In fact, he favored them for the Coverdale/Page project but David insisted on arenas. What I'm saying

is if he doesn't perform Led Zeppelin he won't be able to play arena-sized venues in most markets, that's all.

The way I read your last post I thought you were saying that he wouldn't want to tour unless he played the big rooms.

Thanks for the clarification...

Archived