Best live version of ALS?

Lunacy

The DVD version probably would get the nod. IMO there's no way Page couldn't not have included it since "Achilles" is one of his own personal favourites (for good reason!).

My problem with the '77 versions is that more often than not they played it a little bit too fast (cocaine, perhaps? :D ) and that would lead to potential trainwrecks ala Seattle. I much prefer the 1980 renditions 'cos they're taken at a pace more akin to the studio version. Matter of fact, I'd be brazen to say that "Achilles" was generally one of the better performed songs done on that European tour.

Hell, I just find it amazing that Page could carry the tune off with just one guitar (there's something like eight or nine guitar tracks on the original). Then again, as a picker myself, it's actually not that hard of a song to play...

For me the best version of ALS is from the Seattle-Show in 1977. Jimmy play a awesome solo.

Serious? This version would have fallen to bits if it wasn't for Bonzo. there is MUCH MUCH better versions from '77.

Try out:

6/23/77

6/21/77

5/21/77

Serious? This version would have fallen to bits if it wasn't for Bonzo. there is MUCH MUCH better versions from '77.

Try out:

6/23/77

6/21/77

5/21/77

Agreed. If the infamous Tempe show contains the worst version of ALS (they sound like a bad high school garage band IMO), the Seattle show is probably second worst. Page is playing like he's on another planet from the band entirely (sleeping sickness, indeed B) ) and completely fucks up the transition from the first verse to the bridge. IIRC Plant literally has to vocally cue him into the solo ("Do it!" like he had to do at a few points in that show). It seems to me that the Seattle '77 show only gets serious accolades from people who haven't been exposed to that much 1977 material.

Agreed. If the infamous Tempe show contains the worst version of ALS (they sound like a bad high school garage band IMO), the Seattle show is probably second worst. Page is playing like he's on another planet from the band entirely (sleeping sickness, indeed B) ) and completely fucks up the transition from the first verse to the bridge. IIRC Plant literally has to vocally cue him into the solo ("Do it!" like he had to do at a few points in that show). It seems to me that the Seattle '77 show only gets serious accolades from people who haven't been exposed to that much 1977 material.

I always wonder whether or not the rest of the band got pissed off with Jimmy when he was so out of it he was struggling to play his own songs.

Apparently at the start of the Tempe version a firecracker blows up right in front of Page's and this throws him off so he is behind the pace for the rest of the song, although this was only one contributing factor tbh, the guy was out of it that whole tour. You only need to look at pictures of him during that period and listen to the concerts to realise this. In saying that, '77 is still my favourite tour. :D

Fun Fact: In 2007 at the O2 center, they where gona play Achilles Last Stand, but then Robert Plant said no 'cause he didnt want to play anything too "Heavy Metal".

But yea my favorite so far is off the DvD, well aside from the studio one off Presence which kinda feels out of this world.

i like the frankfurt and zurich versions from 1980

bit tighter and to the point.........and i think he does a semi honest rendition of the solo in a studiolike manner(not that i ever look for that from zep)

off the zeppelin dvd

8/4/79

I agree although the sound has been adjusted in the the studio to harmonize the ascending lead fill between verses. (Not on the original recording) Second best would be the 79 copenhagen shows. (althought they screw up in the middle of the song)

i like the frankfurt and zurich versions from 1980

bit tighter and to the point.........and i think he does a semi honest rendition of the solo in a studiolike manner(not that i ever look for that from zep)

TBH, I was never really a big fan of the song but both of the above versions certainly played a part in changing that opinion wink.gif .

• 2 weeks later...

Fun Fact: In 2007 at the O2 center, they where gona play Achilles Last Stand, but then Robert Plant said no 'cause he didnt want to play anything too "Heavy Metal".

Aw, Percy is getting soft in his old age! What's so fucking "heavy metal" about ALS, tempo aside, perhaps, that a tune like "Black Dog" or "Whole Lotta Love" lacks? I mean, even "Trampled Under Foot" is pretty goddamn 'heavy' and they played that! Seems to me that ALS is, off the top of my head, about the only 'stage favourite' that they didn't play. I bet if they did play it it would have been extremely faithful to the studio version, tempo wise, but though the 02 show was good, if they'd've busted out "Achilles" it would have been just that much better.

You have to sorta feel sorry for Page, Jones and Bonham Jr...even though the 'vote' or whatever to do ALS was likely three against one, there's no way they would have shouted Plant down and said, "Sorry, majority rules!"...face it, the 02 show was done totally on Robert's terms. Else it wouldn't have happened at all, probably. Kinda sad, actually. The rest of the band were really not in a position to assert themselves against Robert, who unfortunately seems to forget sometimes that Led Zeppelin made him. B) But that's another story, innit?

I thought Page added some nice embellishments to the June 19th San Diego performance.

On the May 26th Cap Center performance, did John Bonham not come in early ?? Rare to hear him blunder !!

I was at the 5/21 show, and ALS was good !!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived