Brett Micheals hospitalized!

allbettsareoff

Bret Michaels hospitalized with brain hemorrhage

Michaels in 2008. (AP)

People.com is reporting that "Celebrity Apprentice" contestant, reality TV staple and former Poison frontman Bret Michaels was rushed to the ICU Thursday night after experiencing an "excruciating headache."

Doctors discovered Michaels had suffered a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding at the base of his brain stem) and he is currently in critical condition:

"After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [it] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," a source told People.com.

Michaels, a diabetic, underwent an emergency appendectomy on April 12, but told fans in an April 19 note that his recovery was going well. No word yet as to whether the hemorrhage is related to his previous surgery.

By Liz Kelly | April 23, 2010; 5:09 PM ET

Bret Michaels hospitalized with brain hemorrhage

Michaels in 2008. (AP)

People.com is reporting that "Celebrity Apprentice" contestant, reality TV staple and former Poison frontman Bret Michaels was rushed to the ICU Thursday night after experiencing an "excruciating headache."

Doctors discovered Michaels had suffered a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding at the base of his brain stem) and he is currently in critical condition:

"After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [it] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," a source told People.com.

Michaels, a diabetic, underwent an emergency appendectomy on April 12, but told fans in an April 19 note that his recovery was going well. No word yet as to whether the hemorrhage is related to his previous surgery.

By Liz Kelly | April 23, 2010; 5:09 PM ET

hope he's alright even though i'm not a fan of his.

i was reading the story online and some jerk commented "that's what happens when you where your headband too tight" Quite inappropriate if you ask me. A brain hemorrhage is no laughing matter as my cousin died from one.

This happened to me in 2003--in my case the cause was an aneurysm, and it can also happen because of a tumor, but it's likely to have nothing to do with his previous surgery. More importantly, as you can see from my case, people do survive these things, and hopefully he will too. (They're not kidding about the excruciatingness of the headache, though. :P )

In the immediate hours following Bret Michaels' hospitalization for a brain hemorrhage, his fans have been poring over various websites looking for a hopeful update on the Poison frontman's health. Now, encouraging word has leaked that Michaels may be better off than initially feared.

TMZ is reporting that Michaels is "awake, in good spirits and talking" as of Friday evening (April 23). This information comes from Ambre Lake, the season-two winner of Michaels' "Rock of Love" reality show. TMZ reports that Lake has spoken with people close to Bret who say he's "stabilized and conscious."

Lake's status update on the 47-year-old hair-metal legend is said to coincide with another unidentified "Rock of Love" contestant who is in touch with the other members of Poison.

Michaels was rushed to the hospital late Thursday evening, where doctors discovered he had suffered a massive brain hemorrhage, a rep for the singer confirmed to MTV News.

"After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause [of the hemorrhage]," the source told People. "[it] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation."

The next 24 to 48 hours are considered critical for Michaels, and he will be closely monitored by the staff at the undisclosed hospital. Most recently, Michaels has been a contestant on NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice."

I can't help but recall that televised awards program a year or so ago when the backdrop was lowered too soon on him and he walked into it and was nearly knocked unconcious. I wish him a quick and full recovery from this.

I noticed a lot of people are wondering about that moment being linked to what is happening now...I just saw another update and it seems he isn't doing as well as first reported :(

Wishing him well

I think what was first reported was over-exaggerated, in that if he was really "in good spirits and talking," I would have been amazed. He'll be drugged up to his eyeballs, for one thing, as the excruciating pain doesn't let up until they operate, but he'll be awake periodically as they keep waking you up to ensure you don't slip into a coma, and they ask you questions to see how and if you're disoriented ("what's your name, do you know where you are" etc.)--and in my case answering those questions was the extent of the talking I could manage. So I think he's just in the kind of condition that would be expected right now, no additional cause for alarm. :)

This happened to me in 2003--in my case the cause was an aneurysm, and it can also happen because of a tumor, but it's likely to have nothing to do with his previous surgery. More importantly, as you can see from my case, people do survive these things, and hopefully he will too. (They're not kidding about the excruciatingness of the headache, though. tongue.gif )

You have been through alot, and the recovery from an aneurysm is very hard work that you must be proud of accomplishing.

I am not a big fan of Brett's, but I am praying for his recovery. His brain hemorhage is probably related to his diabetes. Eye hemorhages are very common in diabetics, as well as other hemorhages. The disease affects the blood vessels, causing them to break and bleed easily, particularly the more fragile ones in the eyes, brain, and kidneys. Perhaps his recent surgery affected the control of his diabetes, as it is very common for one's blood sugar to get out of control after surgery.

You have been through alot, and the recovery from an aneurysm is very hard work that you must be proud of accomplishing.

I am not a big fan of Brett's, but I am praying for his recovery. His brain hemorhage is probably related to his diabetes. Eye hemorhages are very common in diabetics, as well as other hemorhages. The disease affects the blood vessels, causing them to break and bleed easily, particularly the more fragile ones in the eyes, brain, and kidneys. Perhaps his recent surgery affected the control of his diabetes, as it is very common for one's blood sugar to get out of control after surgery.

Didn't Neil Young also have an aneurysm a couple of years ago?

Brett Micheals has had a crazy year...I did see that he was going to play in Memphis but Vince Neil has stepped in for him.

I can't help but recall that televised awards program a year or so ago when the backdrop was lowered too soon on him and he walked into it and was nearly knocked unconcious. I wish him a quick and full recovery from this.

I thought the exact same thing, but, it seems unlikely. I wonder if he is diabetic, as these patients often suffer from circulatory issues. Long road ahead I'm afraid. Wishing him well.

Didn't Neil Young also have an aneurysm a couple of years ago?

Yes, he did. I think they were able to fix his using the coil method, which is less serious (they don't have to do major surgery), but I don't really know the details in his case.

Edit: I should say that it's not major surgery in the sense that they don't have to cut your head open!

I thought the exact same thing, but, it seems unlikely. I wonder if he is diabetic, as these patients often suffer from circulatory issues. Long road ahead I'm afraid. Wishing him well.

I followed this story though i never got into the 80's hair bands i always considered Bret to be hot back then. i watched all of his rock of love episodes and have been watching celebrity apprentice for the first time this season. bret is clearly a kind hearted, down to earth guy, especially for a rock star. he is the kind of guy all girls should have as a friend. i am so relieved bret is doing so well and expected to fully recover. he seems to be a great dad and said his daughters were a top reason he fought to overcome his condition.

planted, yes bret is a type 1 diabetic since adolesence. bret is said to be well controlled. his charity on apprentice is juvenille diabetes and bret is very involved with the foundation. brets 9 Yr old had diabetic symptoms recently. bret didnt leave the show so i guess for now she's still not diagnosed.

stay awesome, bret

• 3 weeks later...

your right he is a type one diabetic.. :unsure: like me :D

Archived