Forty-seven dolphins have beached themselves following the BP oil disaster.

Atlas

Like I said awhile back, you yanks should go & see whether you get any sympathy from the people of Bhopal or the Niger delta.

Fucking NIMBYS.

I'm not sure if it was you who brought this to my attention originally, but thanks for bringing it up. Bhopal, at least got some press. The Niger delta thing seems to be slipping under the radar.

I need to follow up on it.

Hi all,

Thank you for the response Atlas. I did puzzle me and I am still not sure where the compliment part comes in?

Deb,

How about dinner and a movie?Kabobs(chicken/steak/pork/veggie),hot German potato salad,sweet corn-on-cob,and local strawberry short cake?

Then 'Casablanca' ??

What do you say?Deal? B)

KB

Edited by Anjin-san

Hi all,

Thank you for the response Atlas. I did puzzle me and I am still not sure where the compliment part comes in?

Deb,

How about dinner and a movie?Kabobs(chicken/steak/pork/veggie),hot German potato salad,sweet corn-on-cob,and local strawberry short cake?

Then 'Casablanca'??

What do you say?Deal? B)

KB

Edited by Anjin-san

Hi all,

Deb,

Then 'Casablanca' ??

What do you say?Deal? B)

KB

KB!!Thanks for this huge smile on my face. How about a hike in the mountains and we donate the money for the dinner and movie to help restore the beaches!!! :D

Edited by Deborah J

Hi Deb,

Your welcome,...I think :P

You take a hike!Then, I'll cook you dinner. ;)

The dinner is free and I have the movie,.....

This world will heal itself,humans might not.

KB

KB!!Thanks for this huge smile on my face. How about a hike in the mountains and we donate the money for the dinner and movie to help restore the beaches!!! :D

Bhopal, at least got some press. The Niger delta thing seems to be slipping under the radar.

Presumably on the usual yank 'Our Shit Doesn't Stink' basis?

For the less globally aware amongst you, here's a little info on Bhopal (Wiki):

"The Bhopal disaster or Bhopal Gas Tragedy is the world's worst industrial catastrophe and occurred on the night of December 2-3, 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal, India. At that time, UCIL was the Indian subsidiary of the U.S. company Union Carbide Corporation (UCC), which is now a subsidiary of Dow Chemical Company. Around midnight on December 2–3, 1984, there was a leak of methyl isocyanate (MIC) gas and other toxins from the plant, resulting in the exposure of over 500,000 people. Estimates vary on the death toll. The official immediate death toll was 2,259 and the government of Madhya Pradesh has confirmed a total of 3,787 deaths related to the gas release. Other government agencies estimate 15,000 deaths. Others estimate that 8,000 died within the first weeks and that another 8,000 have since died from gas-related diseases. A government affidavit filed in the Supreme Court in 2006 stated that of the 558,125 cases of injury resulting from the disaster, 516,406 (92.5%) were minor, 38,478 (6.8%) were temporary partial disablement while 0.7% (~3,900) were severely and permanently disabled. The government's classification was criticized after the deaths of people who were classed as having minor injuries.

Some 26 years after the gas leak, 390 tons of toxic chemicals abandoned at the UCIL plant continue to leak and pollute the groundwater in the region and affect thousands of Bhopal residents who depend on it, though there is some dispute as to whether the chemicals still stored at the site pose any continuing health hazard.

Over two decades since the tragedy, certain civil and criminal cases remain pending in the United States District Court, Manhattan and the District Court of Bhopal, India, against Union Carbide with an Indian arrest warrant also pending against Warren Anderson, CEO of Union Carbide at the time of the disaster. Greenpeace asserts that as the Union Carbide CEO, Anderson knew about a 1982 safety audit of the Bhopal plant, which identified 30 major hazards and that they were not fixed in Bhopal but were fixed at the company's identical plant in the US. In June 2010, seven ex-employees, including the former chairman of UCIL, were convicted in Bhopal of causing death by negligence and sentenced to two years imprisonment and a fine of about $2,000 each, the maximum punishment allowed by law. An eighth former employee was also convicted but had died before judgment was passed.

Eventually, in an out-of-court settlement reached in 1989, Union Carbide agreed to pay US$ 470 million for damages caused in the Bhopal disaster, 15% of the original $3 billion claimed in the lawsuit. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster#cite_note-Eckerman2004-3]By the end of October 2003, according to the Bhopal Gas Tragedy Relief and Rehabilitation Department, compensation had been awarded to 554,895 people for injuries received and 15,310 survivors of those killed. The average amount to families of the dead was $2,200."

So yes, BP should be held to account, but only on the condition that the eventual settlement funds are applied initially to cleaning up the obscene mess you cowboys have left behind in Bhopal and elsewhere.

Presumably on the usual yank 'Our Shit Doesn't Stink' basis?

For the less globally aware amongst you, here's a little info on Bhopal (Wiki):

"The Bhopal disaster or Bhopal Gas Tragedy is the world's worst industrial catastrophe and occurred on the night of December 2-3, 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal, India. At that time, UCIL was the Indian subsidiary of the U.S. company Union Carbide Corporation (UCC), which is now a subsidiary of Dow Chemical Company. Around midnight on December 2–3, 1984, there was a leak of methyl isocyanate (MIC) gas and other toxins from the plant, resulting in the exposure of over 500,000 people. Estimates vary on the death toll. The official immediate death toll was 2,259 and the government of Madhya Pradesh has confirmed a total of 3,787 deaths related to the gas release. Other government agencies estimate 15,000 deaths. Others estimate that 8,000 died within the first weeks and that another 8,000 have since died from gas-related diseases. A government affidavit filed in the Supreme Court in 2006 stated that of the 558,125 cases of injury resulting from the disaster, 516,406 (92.5%) were minor, 38,478 (6.8%) were temporary partial disablement while 0.7% (~3,900) were severely and permanently disabled. The government's classification was criticized after the deaths of people who were classed as having minor injuries.

Some 26 years after the gas leak, 390 tons of toxic chemicals abandoned at the UCIL plant continue to leak and pollute the groundwater in the region and affect thousands of Bhopal residents who depend on it, though there is some dispute as to whether the chemicals still stored at the site pose any continuing health hazard.

Over two decades since the tragedy, certain civil and criminal cases remain pending in the United States District Court, Manhattan and the District Court of Bhopal, India, against Union Carbide with an Indian arrest warrant also pending against Warren Anderson, CEO of Union Carbide at the time of the disaster. Greenpeace asserts that as the Union Carbide CEO, Anderson knew about a 1982 safety audit of the Bhopal plant, which identified 30 major hazards and that they were not fixed in Bhopal but were fixed at the company's identical plant in the US. In June 2010, seven ex-employees, including the former chairman of UCIL, were convicted in Bhopal of causing death by negligence and sentenced to two years imprisonment and a fine of about $2,000 each, the maximum punishment allowed by law. An eighth former employee was also convicted but had died before judgment was passed.

Eventually, in an out-of-court settlement reached in 1989, Union Carbide agreed to pay US$ 470 million for damages caused in the Bhopal disaster, 15% of the original $3 billion claimed in the lawsuit. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster#cite_note-Eckerman2004-3]By the end of October 2003, according to the Bhopal Gas Tragedy Relief and Rehabilitation Department, compensation had been awarded to 554,895 people for injuries received and 15,310 survivors of those killed. The average amount to families of the dead was $2,200."

So yes, BP should be held to account, but only on the condition that the eventual settlement funds are applied initially to cleaning up the obscene mess you cowboys have left behind in Bhopal and elsewhere.

You were doing just fine until the last sentence. Are you saying that you lobster coats are responsible for the oil spill in the Gulf? Actually, I'm not convinced that the people directly responsible for the mechanical failures were BP employees at all.

You were doing just fine until the last sentence. Are you saying that you lobster coats are responsible for the oil spill in the Gulf? Actually, I'm not convinced that the people directly responsible for the mechanical failures were BP employees at all.

The story I heard was that BP or Transocean pulled the drill pipe 6 feet up with the Blow Out Preventer closed during a test. Destroying the BOP and any chance it would seal in the case of a blow-out.

The finger pointing is not over.

The story I heard was that BP or Transocean pulled the drill pipe 6 feet up with the Blow Out Preventer closed during a test. Destroying the BOP and any chance it would seal in the case of a blow-out.

The finger pointing is not over.

That was what 60 Minutes reported.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/16/60minutes/main6490197.shtml

But this NYT article seems to blame one valve in the blowout preventer which led to the failure of something which should have worked even if the annular failed:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/06/21/us/20100621-bop.html

bop-600x640.png

Still other sources say the hydraulics for the BOP were compromised.

There are lots of different views on what happened.

Here's one of them:

http://media.nola.com/news_impact/other/oil-cause-050710.pdf

FOR OVER TWO MONTHS Obama has refused to suspend the Jones Act which requires American workers, UNION MARITIME WORKERS, to operate foreign ships, FOREIGN OIL SKIMMERS, in American waters. Obama has sacrificed the Gulf wetlands, marshes, fishing industry, tourist industry, beaches, many small businesses and livelihoods of millions of people TO PROTECT UNIONIZED MARITIME WORKERS. America is in deep trouble! :mad:

FOR OVER TWO MONTHS Obama has refused to suspend the Jones Act which requires American workers, UNION MARITIME WORKERS, to operate foreign ships, FOREIGN OIL SKIMMERS, in American waters. Obama has sacrificed the Gulf wetlands, marshes, fishing industry, tourist industry, beaches, many small businesses and livelihoods of millions of people TO PROTECT UNIONIZED MARITIME WORKERS. America is in deep trouble!

Did you expect anything different? His administration already gave the unions control of the automotive industry.

Hi Steve,all,

Please,it would be pleasure to meet you.Tuna steaks on the grill?Dolphin free of course. :P

What beer or wine goes good with dolf,er,tuna? :lol:

KB

Hi Kev,

I know a Great American Wine, go on ask me what it is then? OK I'll tell you.

"Mummy Mummy i don't care about the Oil i wanna go swimming in the ocean"

Not what you expected eh? then go see what "Whine" they drink in Lagos mate. :lol:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

PS, and stop taking the piss out of the Dolphins mate, i know you're not doing it on Porpoise but those guys gave up their lives willingly for your military with those mines they are given to attach to ships, and what do they get in return? Pilchards, and not even John Wests ones. :mad:

Hi Danny,all,

I didn't ask yet you'll tell me anyway,...

No lad,it's Mom,Mommy over here.What gibberish are you speaking? :P

PS, and stop taking the piss out of the Dolphins mate, i know you're not doing it on Porpoise but those guys gave up their lives willingly for your military with those mines they are given to attach to ships, and what do they get in return? Pilchards, and not even John Wests ones. /color]

'Day of the Dolphin' with George C. Scott?Never asked about that,...

Love you Bro!

KB

Can't we all really care about the oil AND go swimming in the ocean, too? :ahhh:

Edited by sweetredwine