Bob Dylan

DearPrudence

My fave Dylan song: SARA

I laid on a dune I looked at the sky

When the children were babies and played on the beach

You came up behind me, I saw you go by

You were always so close and still within reach.

Sara, Sara

Whatever made you want to change your mind

Sara, Sara

So easy to look at, so hard to define.

I can still see them playing with their pails in the sand

They run to the water their buckets to fill

I can still see the shells falling out of their hands

As they follow each other back up the hill.

Sara, Sara

Sweet virgin angel, sweet love of my life

Sara, Sara

Radiant jewel, mystical wife.

Sleeping in the woods by a fire in the night

Drinking white rum in a Portugal bar

Them playing leapfrog and hearing about Snow White

You in the marketplace in Savanna-la-Mar.

Sara, Sara

It's all so clear, I could never forget

Sara, Sara

Loving you is the one thing I'll never regret.

I can still hear the sounds of those Methodist bells

I'd taken the cure and had just gotten through

Staying up for day in the Chelsea Hotel

Writing "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" for you.

Sara, Sara

Wherever we travel we're never apart

Sara, Sara

Beautiful lady, so dear to my heart.

How did I meet you ? I don't know

A messenger sent me in a tropical storm

You were there in the winter, moonlight on the snow

And on Lily Pond Lane when the weather was warm.

Sara, Sara

Scorpio Sphinx in a calico dress

Sara, Sara

You must forgive me my unworthiness.

Now the beach is deserted except for some kelp

And a piece of an old ship that lies on the shore

You always responded when I needed your help

You gimme a map and a key to your door.

Sara, Sara

Glamorous nymph with an arrow and bow

Sara, Sara

Don't ever leave me, don't ever go.

• 2 months later...

Bob Dylan says Barack Obama is 'changin' America

Alan Jackson and David Byers

His 1964 track 'The Times They are a-Changin' became the anthem for his generation, symbolising the era-defining social struggle against the establishment.

Now Bob Dylan - who could justifiably claim to be the architect of Barack Obama's 'change' catchphrase - has backed the Illinois senator to do for modern America what the generation before did in the 1960s.

In an exclusive interview with The Times, published today, Dylan gives a ringing endorsement to Mr Obama, the first ever black presidential candidate, claiming he is "redefining the nature of politics from the ground up".

To read the remainder of the article click here

I'm a huge Dylan fan. His first couple of albums are probably my favorites but I like his last few albums a lot too. He's still a great songwriter and I admire he's a risk taker and creates the kind of music HE wants to create, rather than what I think people expect from him.

I saw him in concert sharing the bill with Tom Petty. I'm sad to say it was not very good. He was so disconnected with the audience and I don't know, just didn't seem to really be into playing.

• 3 weeks later...

From a link at expectingrain.com:

12 Jun 2008: Thanks to Juan B. Heinink for information that the new

volume of the Bootleg Series mentioned in the entry for 19 May 2008 is

reported to contain previously officially-unreleased material from

between 1989 and 2006. Thanks to Nol Grint for news from the Dutch

newspaper De Standaard that it will contain five out-takes from Oh

Mercy including solo piano versions of Dignity (maybe R-0680, see 2004)

and God Knows; Polly Vaughan and Rise Again from the 1992 Chicago

sessions with David Bromberg; 32:20 Blues, out-take from World Gone

Wrong; Girl From The Red River Shore, Shake Sugaree and Mississippi,

out-takes from Time Out of Mind; 'Cross The Green Mountain

from Gods And Generals (R-0586, see 2003); plus two demo versions of

songs from Modern Times.

Dylan in my opinion made more impact on the music of his time than either Elvis or the Beatles. But I think it just took longer for most people to realize that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FoZUtbd3ng

you guys gotta see this: bob dylan meets the beatles-the meth minute. THIS THING IS HILARIOUS!

Edited by beatbo

Had to click on your profile after seeing that Hurricane is your fav. I assumed yoou were young and I was right. I say that because Hurricane is certainly good, but old time Dylan fans would never put it on top. You should listen to the old stuff, greatest hits albums. So many great classics. Like a Rolling Stone probably gets the most radio time, and its good, but there are so many other great ones that dont make the radio because they are too long in miniutes. Example is Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again.

Strange comment. Hurricane is a great song, I love it as much as any other of his classic songs.. The whole Desire album is awesome. ...and I don't see why one's have to be young to have Hurricane as a favorite?! Oh well..

Strange comment. Hurricane is a great song, I love it as much as any other of his classic songs.. The whole Desire album is awesome. ...and I don't see why one's have to be young to have Hurricane as a favorite?! Oh well..

The fellow you quoted made lots of "strange" comments and was eventually banned only to come back here under a variety of screen names and was banned again under each one so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The fellow you quoted made lots of "strange" comments and was eventually banned only to come back here under a variety of screen names and was banned again under each one so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks, that would make sense since I haven't seen him around in a long time..

'desire' is considered dylan's best by many. i love it myself. ignore that dope. i've been digging the live album 'hard rain' recently. excellent for-your-life versions of 'big girl now', 'idiot wind', many more. check it out if you haven't.

• 8 months later...

I love Bob Dylan to death. He's one of my favorite artists. I think his voice is very original and

unique. Some of my favorite Dylan albums would have to be Blood On The Tracks, Desire, Live 1975,

Blonde On Blonde, The Basement Tapes, and New Morning. :D

The album cover artwork and the beginnings of an interview with Dylan are up on his website now.

kickass! i love this snippet from the interview:

The new record’s very different from Modern Times which was a number one hit. It seems like every time you have a big hit, the next time out you change things around. Why don’t you try to milk it a little bit?

I think we milked it all we could on that last record and then some. We squeezed the cow dry. All the Modern Times songs were written and performed in the widest range possible so they had a little bit of everything. These new songs have more of a romantic edge.

How so?

These songs don’t need to cover the same ground. The songs on Modern Times songs brought my repertoire up to date, and the light was directed in a certain way. You have to have somebody in mind as an audience otherwise there’s no point.

What do you mean by that?

There didn’t seem to be any general consensus among my listeners. Some people preferred my first period songs. Some, the second. Some, the Christian period. Some, the post Colombian. Some, the Pre-Raphaelite. Some people prefer my songs from the nineties. I see that my audience now doesn’t particular care what period the songs are from. They feel style and substance in a more visceral way and let it go at that. Images don’t hang anybody up. Like if there’s an astrologer with a criminal record in one of my songs it’s not going to make anybody wonder if the human race is doomed. Images are taken at face value and it kind of freed me up.

Edited by beatbo

I love Bob Dylan, I love it when he talks! Not as much as I love hearing Robert Plant talk. My favorite song would have to be between Hurricane or Tangled Up in Blue, for my favorite line from the song that is on my signature.

He's not really much of a talker, even in interviews :unsure: