Bob Dylan

DearPrudence

Any fans?

I love him to death, his music is just amazing

My favourite albums are Bringing it all back home, Highway 61 revisited, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Blood on the tracks, Nashville Skyline

I love his voice in Nashville Skyline, it sounds so different.

577202xh2.jpg

Edited by DearPrudence

Any fans?

I love him to death, his music is just amazing

My favourite albums are Bringing it all back home, Highway 61 revisited, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Blood on the tracks, Nashville Skyline

My favorite album is Bringing It All Back Home. I love the fact he left in the false start on "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream".

I love his voice in Nashville Skyline, it sounds so different.

577202xh2.jpg

I still haven't gotten use to how different he sounds on that album. It really doesn't sound like him.

My favorite "album" is disc 2 of the Bootleg Series 1-3 box set. That version of Tangled Up in Blue is the best version I've ever heard, maybe my favorite Dylan performance period. I also love If Not For You with George on slide, Wallflower, the piano version of Like A Rolling Stone, it's awesome.

B)

Led Zeppelin is my fav band and Bob Dylan is my GOD! His lyrics are like a bible to me.

My favourite albums are Highway 61 revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Desire and Nashville Skyline.

Right now I'm listening to Shelter from the Storm :)

I'm not really a fan of his last few albums though.

I love the last few albums. That's the funny thing, there's no usually no shortage of Dylan fans on "classic rock" oriented boards like this but some aren't even aware that he's still recording.

I've been a Dylan fan since the mid-70s but never got into him bigtime until The Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3 and Time Out of Mind.

I love the last few albums. That's the funny thing, there's no usually no shortage of Dylan fans on "classic rock" oriented boards like this but some aren't even aware that he's still recording.

I've been a Dylan fan since the mid-70s but never got into him bigtime until The Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3 and Time Out of Mind.

He's still a great songwriter. Unfortunatly the sound production of today isn't very good (or "too good") IMHO. Not only regarding Dylan, but in general.

He's still a great songwriter. Unfortunatly the sound production of today isn't very good (or "too good") IMHO. Not only regarding Dylan, but in general.

Funny you should say that as he made a very similar observation that garnered a lot of press either this year or last. It may be true to a degree but I don't believe it's true across the board. The worst offenders are those discs that claimed to be "remastered" but all that's been done is cranking up the original volume a notch or two in the studio while no actual remastering has even taken place. Otherwise the sound quality of CDs themselves has come a long since their infancy when many were nothing more than cheaply done recordings of the original vinyl just to get them on the market. Nowadays compact discs a lot come closer to capturing the sound of the original recordings than ever before. That was one of the reasons Neil Young has held up his long awaited box set for so very long, the limitations of modern sound technology. That he has it prepared for release in the new year (maybe) is a good sign that even Neil has found a sound he's happy with.

Bob Dylan is my favorite musician and lyricist. And he's probably one of the very few "celebrities" I'd actually like to meet (dead or alive). There's something about the rawness of his voice and the attitude with which he delivers each song to make them all unique that drags me in. And his lyrics keep my mind wandering for days... He's just "cool," in the simplest definitions of the word...

I think the thing I like most about him is whenever someone tries to "type" him, group him, analyze him or label him he does his best (or his worst) to become the exact opposite of that...

"Like A Rolling Stone" is one of the best songs of all time.

I'm not a huge Dylan follower, but I like enough of his songs. To me, the most fascinating thing was the late 60's back and forth with him, The Beatles, and the Beach Boys. Each was pushing the other, each was trying to top the other, and it resulted in incredible work from all of them. I love the story of Dylan meeting the Beatles for the first time, and he stunned them by saying something to the effect of "your music is good, but it doesn't really say anything, man" That really affected John Lennon, which prompted him to want to do deeper music, resulting in "Help!".

Edited by Mattmc1973

Funny you should say that as he made a very similar observation that garnered a lot of press either this year or last. It may be true to a degree but I don't believe it's true across the board. The worst offenders are those discs that claimed to be "remastered" but all that's been done is cranking up the original volume a notch or two in the studio while no actual remastering has even taken place. Otherwise the sound quality of CDs themselves has come a long since their infancy when many were nothing more than cheaply done recordings of the original vinyl just to get them on the market. Nowadays compact discs a lot come closer to capturing the sound of the original recordings than ever before. That was one of the reasons Neil Young has held up his long awaited box set for so very long, the limitations of modern sound technology. That he has it prepared for release in the new year (maybe) is a good sign that even Neil has found a sound he's happy with.

That is true, sound quality of CD's has come a long way. But I'm thinking more how the music is/was recorded. With the equipment they got in the studios today, the sound gets too clear, I want the recording to sound primitive. I miss the background noice from the master tapes, the distortion that the high recording volume created on the drums and vocals. If you listen to Homesick Subterranean Blues, it's dirty. They've got the natural cruch on the amps, no effects other then what's on the amp, but the recording process creates it's own effects, kind of.

I can even go so far and say that I prefer MONO, that way everything get's more powerful, but ok, stereo is fine with me too. :D

Dylan is the greatest. Love alot of his albums, the one's already mentioned of course and let's not forget about "John Wesley Harding". Deadly album!

Definitely!!! Amazing album! My Dad gave me his old John Wesley Harding vinyl and I listen to it all the time!!! Just love the old, vinyl sound... Love listening to vinyls with headphones...that's the best way to listen and enjoy a record for me... B) I hate mp3 players, ipods and co. Everyone makes fun of me cuz I don't have an ipod, they can't understand that I don't want one and love my old, trusty discman. Sure its not as handy as an ipod but who cares?

Anyway, right now I'm listening to The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see a Dylan thread.

He has to be the best songwriter of modern times (no pun intended).

I was introduced to the music of the God that is Dylan through "Live At Budokan" which blew me away.

My favourite albums of his are Budokan, Street Legal, Inifidels and Desire. I think that Changing of the Guards has to be the best non-Zep track ever written. :D

His latest album Modern Times was a bit hit and miss for me but the opener Thunder On The Mountain is just stunning, worth it just for that.

Any UK fans on here know if the new biopic "I'm not there" is showing at any cinemas anywhere? I've searched all over but can't find a trace of it anywhere. Apparently its really good.

I love Dylan's music, more so the early stuff though. Not a huge fan of the post 70's stuff.

Don't know if this already came up, but there's a new film based on Dylan called "I'm Not There". Just saw it the other night and I have to say I was blown away.

I love Dylan's music, more so the early stuff though. Not a huge fan of the post 70's stuff.

Don't know if this already came up, but there's a new film based on Dylan called "I'm Not There". Just saw it the other night and I have to say I was blown away.

I'm with you. I like everything up to and including Nashville Skyline. After that, I just couldn't deal with his voice. I am very grateful for No Direction Home, where I first discovered that Dylan had a voice. I had only heard the later stuff and never liked it due to his sandpaper vocals.

That first plugged in performance of Maggie's Farm is easily the best live performance of anything ever! B)

• 2 months later...

Dylan: My Hat's Off to You, Lady

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) — If at first you don't succeed at stealing Bob Dylan's hat, try a kiss instead. A young Brazilian woman rushed onstage during Dylan's encore in Sao Paulo on Thursday night, hugging and kissing him and trying to swipe his Cordoba hat before three bouncers whisked her away.

When he finished the encore, the normally untalkative Dylan thanked the audience and said he wanted to meet the woman so he could give her his hat. It was not clear whether they met.

Local media later reported that the woman was seen after the show with a group of friends singing: "I kissed Bob Dylan, la, la, la."

Currently on a Latin American tour, Dylan is scheduled to perform in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday.

I like Bob Dylan a lot, my favourite song is probably "Hurricane"

Also, if you like Dylan it's probably that you might also like a band called Neutral Milk Hotel, they are similar in that their style is very "folky" with acoustic guitars and the singer Jeff Mangum has a *very* unique voice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Milk_Hotel

Edited by Jarlaxle 56