The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

• 4 weeks later...

Last nights show in Tampa was AMAZING! The band sounded so good....Ozzy's voice is not what is once was, but then again he isn't known for it's vocal prowess either! Tony and Geezer rocked out the whole night like the rock gods they are! I really enjoyed the drummer. He beat the hell out of those drums and did his own solo, using Rat Salad as the intro, which led into Iron Man. They didn't play some of my favorites, Symptom of the Universe, Never Say Die! and Sweet Leaf. But they did do Methademic from the new disc, which has quickly become a favorite! NIB was very strong also! Played for 2 hours in very hot conditions. Great night with the Sabs! :thumbsup:

Hell yeah!!

Last nights show in Tampa was AMAZING! The band sounded so good....Ozzy's voice is not what is once was, but then again he isn't known for it's vocal prowess either! Tony and Geezer rocked out the whole night like the rock gods they are! I really enjoyed the drummer. He beat the hell out of those drums and did his own solo, using Rat Salad as the intro, which led into Iron Man. They didn't play some of my favorites, Symptom of the Universe, Never Say Die! and Sweet Leaf. But they did do Methademic from the new disc, which has quickly become a favorite! NIB was very strong also! Played for 2 hours in very hot conditions. Great night with the Sabs! :thumbsup:

bill-ward-says-hes-still-a-member-of-black-sabbath

The drummer has clarified his situation.

Ward claims he's still technically part of the band, despite being replaced on their new album and current world tour.

He recently told Guitar International:

"It was one of the toughest decisions that I ever had to make. Because I absolutely and without question wanted to play. I haven't left the band. Everybody thinks I have left the band. I didn't walk out; it wasn't like that at all! I just didn't sign the contract and life took its own course.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/bill-ward-says-hes-still-a-member-of-black-sabbath/

Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath, the celebrated, multi-platinum rock band that pioneered the heavy metal genre with their dark and doom-laden sounds, fused with lyrical themes of the occult, addiction, war and nuclear apocalypse, will be immortalized in an all-original, terrifying 3D maze, "Black Sabbath: 13 3D" at Universal Studios Hollywood's premier Halloween Horror Nights event, beginning September 20, 2013.

The new maze, based on the darkest lyrics from Black Sabbath's biggest hit songs and the only attraction at the horror event to incorporate 3D video, will also include scenes inspired by the legendary band's recently released Billboard #1 album, "13". A nightmarish landscape of doom will engulf guests as they enter "Black Sabbath: 13 3D" and traverse through horrifying graveyards, disturbing madhouses and bone-chilling battlefields.

"We were all really excited when Universal Studios Hollywood approached us about doing a 3D "Halloween Horror Nights" maze based on our music," said Black Sabbath's Ozzy Osbourne. "I've seen the drawings of what it will look like when it's finished and it looks amazing. I can't wait to walk through it on opening night in September."

Guests will come face to face with a heart-stopping Lucifer and his bride, blood-soaked dead bodies and bubbling pools of "radioactive water" while songs inspired by "Luke's Wall", "Iron Man", "Paranoid", "War Pigs", "Electric Funeral" and -- of course -- "Black Sabbath" violently penetrate the confines of the maze at high volume.

"Very few bands can claim to have defined a genre of music but Black Sabbath's remarkable influence in the evolution of heavy metal will go down in history," said John Murdy, creative director for Universal Studios Hollywood. "Tony Iommi's dark, iconic riffs, Ozzy Osbourne's haunting vocals and Geezer Butler's foreboding lyrics provide the perfect soundtrack for "Halloween Horror Nights" and endless inspiration for our new haunted attraction 'Black Sabbath 13 3D'."

"Halloween Horror Nights" 2013 at Universal Studios Hollywood brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in the living, breathing, three-dimensional world of the most notorious and terrifying creatures and features a slate of unrivaled film production quality mazes, terror-filled Scare Zones and a fully re-imagined "Terror Tram" experience, uniquely themed to today's most definitive horror properties. This year's haunted attractions will include "The Walking Dead: No Safe Haven" , based on AMC's Golden Globe-nominated, Emmy Award-winning show, and "Evil Dead: Book of the Dead", inspired by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment's chilling remake of the cult classic.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=193357

sabbathhorror_zpsb3b4fa24.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

bill-ward-debate-rumbles-on

Ozzy explains that Bill wasn't in shape for tour and album

Black Sabbathfrontman Ozzy Osbourne says original drummer Bill Ward was not in shape for the band’s reunion album or tour, despite the fact that he declined to participate over a contractual dispute.

"I don’t think he could have done the gig, to be honest,” Ozzy tells theNew York Daily News. "He’s incredibly overweight. A drummer has to be in shape. He’s already had two heart attacks. I don’t want to be responsible for his life.”

Still, the singer says "the door is always open” for Ward to return and admits that without him "it’s not the same.”

Ozzy’s remarks come less than a week after Ward reaffirmed his reasons for passing on the band’s "13” album and tour.

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/bill-ward-debate-rumbles-on/

Last nights show in Tampa was AMAZING! The band sounded so good....Ozzy's voice is not what is once was, but then again he isn't known for it's vocal prowess either! Tony and Geezer rocked out the whole night like the rock gods they are! I really enjoyed the drummer. He beat the hell out of those drums and did his own solo, using Rat Salad as the intro, which led into Iron Man. Great night with the Sabs! :thumbsup:

:) I saw the Sabs last week and had a blast, the music was outstanding. Had a hard time understanding Ozzy when he was speaking in between songs, except for the several times he yelled "I can't f'ing hear you!" when trying to get the audience cheering. It seemed like he didn't want to leave. Took him a few minutes to say good night. I thought it was sweet when he knelt and bowed at the audience - what I called an "I'm not worthy" bow.

The show looked to be a complete sell out.

Iommi: I’d like to do another Sabbath album

Tony Iommi would love to record a follow-up to Black Sabbath’s latest album 13 – but he knows the future of the band is dependent on his health.

The cancer victim continues to receive medical attention for his illness, and that’s put a limit on how much he can achieve.

Asked whether there’s more music to come from Sabbath, Iommi tells CT.com: “It’s a question that’s been asked a few times. I don’t really have an answer. Because of my treatments and stuff I can’t commit to doing another two years or anything like that. I have to play it as it comes now.”

But he adds: “I’m really enjoying it. If the rest of the year goes well, then we’ll look at it and see if it’s possible to do another album. It would be very nice to.

“You can’t beat that feeling of walking onstage, especially with your old mates, you know. I think it’s better than it was 40 years ago.”

Frontman Ozzy Osbourne recently admitted he’d “die a happy man” if 13 proved to be Sabbath’s swan song, but also stated the band’s future was down to Iommi and his health.

Meanwhile, the guitarist says the band could play the new album live in full at some point in the future.

He reflects: “I think the songs fit in great with the old stuff, and it’s also great to have new songs to fit in, because we haven’t had any for so many years.

“As far as the whole album – we haven’t tried that yet, but I’d be up for doing the whole thing.

“That’s how we recorded it, so that’s how we can play it. It’s an album that’s not impossible to do; we didn’t go into the studio and put loads of stuff on. Is is live, so we could go on and play any of those songs.”

iommi.jpg

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/iommi-id-like-another-black-sabbath-album/

Geezer Butler Has a Feeling This Could Be Black Sabbath’s Last Tour

by Jeff Giles August 15, 2013 10:17 AM

Theo Wargo, Getty Images

Snap up those tickets where you can find them, Black Sabbath fans! If Geezer Butler‘s hunch is right, this is your last chance to see the band on tour.

“I’ve always said as long as I can play, as long as I can do it to a good level, then I’ll keep doing it, because I still really enjoy playing,” Butler told the Chicago Sun-Times. ”I’ll know when the day comes I can’t do this anymore, can’t play to my usual standards. That’s when I won’t go out anymore. I won’t do that to me self. But at the moment, I just love playing with the band. It probably will be the last time, will probably be the last tour. But I want to go out on a high. The band is playing really well at the moment.”

Pressed to explain his remarks, Butler added, “I don’t know. I just got a feeling. It’s getting tough, it really is. I can’t lie about that. I’m old now. It really is tough going on every night. You wake up next day, all the pains you never had before. I don’t want to go onstage for the sake of the money. You have to have a lot pride in yourself, and I honestly think I’m coming to the end of the top of my job.”

In the meantime, Sabbath’s touring commitments should see them on the road through the end of the year. But if the high grosses they’ve been reporting to Pollstar continue, they may find it difficult to stop adding dates, no matter how many pains Butler has.

From Blabbermouth.. pretty interesting...

Carl Palmer, the rock percussionist and veteran of hit British rock bands — including EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER, ASIA, THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN and ATOMIC ROOSTER — says he turned down an opportunity to play with BLACK SABBATH when the heavy metal legends were looking for a drummer to replace Bill Ward for the "13" album sessions.

Palmer told WENN that BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi approached him about laying down tracks on the CD to when it became clear that Ward would no longer be participating in the SABBATH reunion.

"Tony and I did talk when they were looking for drummers to make the album and he put me forward," explained Palmer. "I couldn't do it because I was off with ASIA, we were touring and then something else came up. I couldn't have done it but I would have loved to. It just wasn't on the cards."

He added: "I was classically trained but, basically, I'm a rock drummer and I've never been in a true out-and-out guitar band like BLACK SABBATH, where it's just big riffs — very simple but very dynamic. It would be extremely invigorating. The older I get, the more I appreciate that music. I was late to come to heavy metal. ASIA had a bit of that, but we were a little bit more corporate rock and melodic."

Ward claimed that he sat out the current BLACK SABBATH reunion because of unfair contractual terms, although the members of SABBATH have hinted in other interviews that he wasn't physically up to the task.

Ward was on board for the reunion when it was first announced in November 2011, but backed out soon after.

SABBATH has used Ozzy's regular touring drummer Tommy Clufetos since then for live work. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's Brad Wilk laid down the drum tracks on SABBATH's new album, "13", which came out June 11.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/carl-palmer-says-he-turned-down-opportunity-to-play-with-black-sabbath/#HPwDCWqgPE1i6G6t.99