Jimmy's best guitar playing post Zep

I am kind of new here, so just wanted to say hi to everyone and I am looking forward to the great posts you all put up. I was wondering what everyone would think of what Jimmy's best guitar playing was post Zep. IMO, I really like his guitar playing on the Coverdale/Page album. It reminds me a bit like Presence, brilliant playing with a bit of an edge of darkness. I love Absolution Blues, Over Now, especially Don't leave me this way, the guitar solo kicks ass, vintage Jimmy like!

If you're talking about studio work I might agree with you, although I like Outrider too. And I thought he played brilliantly on Walking Into Clarksdale even if it didn't always sound like "Jimmy Page music" to me.

As far as live stuff is concerned, I saw him on Outrider, both Page/Plant, and the Crowes tours. I really thought he stepped it up a notch on the second tour with Plant, but I thought he was even better with the Crowes in the summer of 2000...

In studio I would probably say "WIC" or Coverdale/Page. Although, he played well on the latter, a lot of the material wasn't that great. Love his solo on "Don't Leave Me This Way".

In concert it's 2nd P/P tour or with the Crowes. Especially at Roseland or the Greek. But then again all of this is a matter of opinion or preference.

Studio, he was back with a vengeance with Coverdale/Page, he really surprised me with that one. His best playing since "Presence".

Live, he was really good with the Black Crowes. During that tour, Robert Plant did a radio interview with a local Detroit station here, and he said something to the effect of "I wish Jimmy had played that well when WE were touring!"

The 80' were a combo of great and bad. This part was GREAT!

I just remembered I played air guitar in the aisle about the 20th row and got a nod from Jimmy this tour at the Meadowlands, NJ. It was AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting that vid!

We even rented a generator loaded up our gear and tailgated with full Klipsch audio before the concert!

Here's a pic of another time we did this, so you get the idea.

n512529318_1874596_6113.jpg

Lotta fun.

Edited by BUK

I remember seeing Jimmy with The Firm at Madison Square Garden in 1985. The only seats we were able to get were the "nose-bleeds" but screw it, they were fantastic. They played for 2 1/2 hours! I would of wanted to see Coverdale/Page live, but I think something got messed up with the promoter who was supposed to handle the tour. That's what I read.

Outrider Tour 1988, at any rate!!! Just discovered a video of a concert in NY from this tour. Incredible solo in "Stairway" and "Blues Anthem". He played better than in most concerts from 1977-1980. The audience-reaction is stunning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9S6ECBtcvk

thanks for posting. This brought back alot of memories.

I saw the tour in Albany that year, actually IF I remember right it was the glens falls civic center. The one thing i will never forget is how hard it rained out

that night. It poured so hard we had to pull over and wait for the rain to slow down before we could drive any further. That hasn't happened to me

too many times.

Rated solely on guitar playing:

For me I liked outrider the best, then CP, then unledded, thenthe firm, then WIC I never saw him with the crowes or listened to much of it.

After I saw the WIC tour I said to myself I'll never watch Jimmy with another singer. It's Robert or nothing. Just like other singers don't work for jimmy other guitarists don't work for Robert.

These two are like two peas in a pod. LOL.

Edited by bigzepfan

Outrider Tour 1988, at any rate!!! Just discovered a video of a concert in NY from this tour. Incredible solo in "Stairway" and "Blues Anthem". He played better than in most concerts from 1977-1980. The audience-reaction is stunning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9S6ECBtcvk

Thank you for posting this. Amazing!! Beyond chills for STH.

I'm glad you all like it! There is almost the complete concert on youtube. It's sad that there's just one pro-shot video from the Outrider-Tour (the one from Phoenix Arizona).

I listened to all of them. I still wish Jimmy would put out several official DVD's. The man is brilliant musically and I for one still have the faith that he has so much more to offer. :yesnod:

I listened to all of them. I still wish Jimmy would put out several official DVD's. The man is brilliant musically and I for one still have the faith that he has so much more to offer. :yesnod:

I'm with you on that. It's just a matter of Jimmy getting the inspiration, desire and motivation to do so. Maybe, he already has, but won't tell us about it until the time is right. Don't want to keep waiting. Just keeps dragging on too long. :wall:

Hi Deb - :wave:

I couldn't agree with you more. The man is phenomenal - I love to watch him perform - he has so much to offer.

Also, ocean-87, thanks for posting the video. I'm going back to check out others from that concert. I had such a smile on my face watching it, I think I even wiped away a tear of happiness. It was such a joy.

As much as I love Robert, I've always wished that of all the videos that are out there of LZ when they were together, that they would have shown more of Jimmy and his stage antics. It's like quit focusing on Robert and show more Jimmy. He's mesmerizing on stage, you can't take your eyes off of him. Seeing them live, I never knew who to focus on more, him or Robert. It was quite a dilemma - but, boy what a nice dilemma to have. ;) Anyway, thanks for sharing . . . . . .

I would have to say my favorite post-Zeppelin is what he did with the Black Crowes. (Well before I saw these videos.)

• 1 month later...

I think at some point I saw a vid of him in like 1982 or 3 , he was just SO SLOPPY, i know thats his style but he was definately insanely high and he looked like he was 90 pounds, he looked so sick. I think that was the only time Jimmy Page ever disappointed me,

But probably Black Crowes are my favorite post zep page thing