vh1 top 100 greatest artists of all time

babyzoso

idk where to put this article at so i will be posting it on both the news section and the master forum section

Last week’s reveal of the list of VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists of All Time (to be counted down on air starting Monday, September 6 at 10/9c) caused plenty of chatter and dissent regarding rankings and omission. Hit back with your own opinion via our 100 Greatest Artists Rally Machine, which allows you to vote for and rank not just your favorite artists of all-time, but your favorites of hard rock, hip-hop, the ’80s, the ’90s and today. Hit the site, sign in with your Twitter or Facebook account and start projecting your digital voice today. Additionally, you can submit a unique message in their Tweet or Facebook post – we’ll be watching and we may retweet and the best messages may end up on the VH1 homepage.

well, idk if this is news to you guys but LZ is in the top 5 of vh1 best/greatest artists list of all time, i know alot of people are pissed at this list like people are upset Frank Sinatra isn't on this list and Janet Jackson and both Beyonce in the list and Jay z higher than Run DMC smh. To me i don't have a problem Beyonce and Jay z on the list it's just they put Jay higher on the list than Run DMC it doesn't make any sense oh well, that's vh1 for you.

If I were to choose based on my tastes in music, I would select:

1. Led Zeppelin

2. The Beatles

3. The Rolling Stones

4. Michael Jackson

5. Bob Dylan

If I were to choose based on actual merit and based on who I think deserves it, I would select:

1. The Beatles

2. Led Zeppelin

3. The Rolling Stones

4. Bob Dylan

5. Michael Jackson

If I had to guess what VH1 will choose, I'd select:

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Michael Jackson

4. Bob Dylan

5. Led Zeppelin

We'll have to see how this turns out!

The Top Five according to this newest VH1 poll:

1. the Beatles

2. Michael Jackson

3. Led Zeppelin

4. the Rolling Stones

5. Bob Dylan.

Apparently (according to VH1), this list/poll was chosen from over 200 different recording artists. If that is true, I can at least respect the Top Five.

Of course people will have problems with the rankings of some of their other favorite "artists". I know I do, however, I realize that this is just another one of VH1's list/polls so it really is of no real importance to me. I will say that I CANNOT believe that Iron Maiden and the Yardbirds did not make this list. And as far as I can see, neither did Elvis Presley.

The Top Five according to this newest VH1 poll:

1. the Beatles

2. Michael Jackson

3. Led Zeppelin

4. the Rolling Stones

5. Bob Dylan.

Apparently (according to VH1), this list/poll was chosen from over 200 different recording artists. If that is true, I can at least respect the Top Five.

Of course people will have problems with the rankings of some of their other favorite "artists". I know I do, however, I realize that this is just another one of VH1's list/polls so it really is of no real importance to me. I will say that I CANNOT believe that Iron Maiden and the Yardbirds did not make this list. And as far as I can see, neither did Elvis Presley.

Im guessing most of the Hip-Hop/R&B genre voted for Michael Jackson

I wouldn't have ranked MJ ahead either, but I guess it depends on who the voters were. I think a lot voted on MJ for being an overall entertainer. I watched the countdown with my son (about 1.5 times!) and MANY of the artists included LZ on their short lists, including some from outside of the rock genre. My son was surprised they came in ahead of the Stones :)

It's Vh1. That is no different to me than if MTV did a ranking. The only reason Michael Jackson was that high on the list was because he's dead. Guarantee it. If he was still moonwalking somewhere (not that he could even do that anymore), he wouldn't have sniffed the Top 20.

All that being said though, this isn't a big deal.

Good enough top 5; glad to see Led Zeppelin above The Rolling Stones, which surprised me. Of course Michael Jackson is too high. I think, as was mentioned earlier, most hip-hop/R&B artists chose him, and his death probably aided his cause. He was a great singer, dancer, and innovator, but he released only 6 full studio albums during his adult solo career. His first released in 1979, his last in 2001; so a 22-year period. The first three were great, the fourth was good, and his last two were average. He just wasn't consistent enough, and the average 3-4 year wait for each album rarely paid off. He was a great performer, but he was never as consistent or revolutionary as The Beatles or Led Zeppelin.

even if you wanted to keep it in the 20th century, The Gershwin's, Frank Sinatra, Carusso! I could go on and on!

You definitely have a point, but VH1's playlist focuses on Rock and Popular music. Doesn't include classical music, Sinatra etc. Not to take anything away from what you mentioned as I own a number of Sinatra and classical cds in my collection.

Although that wouldn't be a bad idea for some source to have a countdown of such.

A few years ago The New York Times published something like the 50 greatest musical compositions of all time. It was mostly Jazz, Big Band, Classical, Sinatra etc. I never saw the list but heard it mentioned in an article somewhere, so I don't know the specifics of it. I believe there was only one rock song included and that was "Kashmir". May have to do a Google Search to find this.

This is a job for you know who here...SAJ.

You definitely have a point, but VH1's playlist focuses on Rock and Popular music. Doesn't include classical music, Sinatra etc. Not to take anything away from what you mentioned as I own a number of Sinatra and classical cds in my collection.

It's called "100 Greatest Artists of all Time," not "100 Greatest Pop & Rock Artists of the Last 50 Years."

It's called "100 Greatest Artists of all Time," not "100 Greatest Pop & Rock Artists of the Last 50 Years."

True, but considering what VH1's playlist is made up of the overwhelming majority will be of Pop and Rock and very few in the 1950's or prior. That's probably why Elvis didn't make the top 5. Where did he rank?

yea, I know. But I like to hold VH1 accountable for their programming, because most of it is pretty lame these days.

I understand they're trying to cater to the younger crowd, but some of the artists commenting were awful and totally embarrassing.

yea, I know. But I like to hold VH1 accountable for their programming, because most of it is pretty lame these days.

I understand they're trying to cater to the younger crowd, but some of the artists commenting were awful and totally embarrassing.

Based on the people named on on their site, I'm not impressed with how the list was created. It would be like having a bunch of reality TV stars get together and come up with a list of the greatest TV shows of all time. And yes, I'm a Sabbath fan, but I acknowledge that Ozzy isn't much of a musician, and probably doesn't have much functional gray matter left.

All these lists leave out the guys that basically created the music. You'll never Les Paul, Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams or Robert Johnson on these lists even though their influence is so large, people don't listen to them commercially like they do classic rock. But the influence of those and all the blues guys like Willie Dixon and Bo Diddley and others that are also off the list is larger than about 80% of that list.

If I were to create a list of most influential I'm not sure if Zeppelin would be in my top 5 because Hank Williams, Robert Johnson, Frank Sinatra, Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Elvis would be up there.

Archived