Rory Gallagher

eightiesbaby80

So I just found out that they’re releasing a new documentary and album for one of my all time favorite musicians, Rory Gallagher, on 14th this month. I grew up listening to his solo stuff as well as his band stuff with Taste. His music is the main reason I’m such a huge fan of blues and blues rock. It’s tragic that he’s no longer with us, but I’m glad he’s still being remembered today. I’m really excited for these releases.

I’m definitely going to preorder both the documentary http://amzn.to/roryG2dvd and the album http://amzn.to/rorygCD01 on amazon.

Edited by eightiesbaby80

RG has probably been the most influential musician to me. Even more than Zeppelin. I first saw him with Taste in 1969 on TV and fell in love with his guitar and his ability to play it. The song "Blister on the Moon" completely blew me away and later, his solo stuff was even better. I had the chance to see him live three times and let me tell you, no one excites a room quite like that. The guy was electrifying without a doubt.

RG has probably been the most influential musician to me. Even more than Zeppelin. I first saw him with Taste in 1969 on TV and fell in love with his guitar and his ability to play it. The song "Blister on the Moon" completely blew me away and later, his solo stuff was even better. I had the chance to see him live three times and let me tell you, no one excites a room quite like that. The guy was electrifying without a doubt.

Yeah, he was special alright . Had his own style and sound ...was absolutely brilliant live . Definitely in my top 5 ever !

One of the very best. He had it all, and should've been much, much bigger. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who put more into their live performances, and he always looked like he was having a really good time. Great lyricist too.

First thing of his I heard was Tattoo, and I got seriously obsessed with Who's That Coming. Back then, I didn't know what slide guitar was, but the intro and the solo were like nothing I'd ever heard before - a really intense performance. Love all his stuff, but out of the later albums, I'm particularly fond of Photo Finish. Mississippi Sheiks and Brute Force & Ignorance - totally brilliant songs.

I never saw him, but you can tell by the performances which are available on DVD that he definitely was an electrifying performer. First song that got me was his Irish Tour '74 version of "I wonder who" which my dad used to have on an obscure 70's compilation LP.

• 2 weeks later...

Rory Gallagher is one of my favorite musicians and has a huge influence on me. My band and I play "Do You Read Me" on a regular basis. He was very personal about his music, he was 100% committed. He wouldn't release singles either, career sacrificing move because he viewed it as an intrusion on his right to solo uninterruptedly over 37 consecutive choruses of a 12-bar blues.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

• 5 months later...

"One of the top ten guitar players of all time"

_____________________________Bono of U2

Gallagher may finally get his due

By George Varga

POP MUSIC CRITIC

Bono may be one of the highest-profile rock stars in the world, but he rarely lends his name to promotional campaigns for other artists. When it comes to Rory Gallagher, though, U2's frontman was happy to make an exception.

Even if the name Rory Gallagher, that Bono honors in front of his minions is likely to elicit blank stares from his younger fans that listen to White Stripes, 50 Cent and New Found Glory, Bono is hopeful to spread the message.

Gallagher, who died of complications following a liver transplant in 1995 at age 46, remains a vital force abroad. Along with U2, Van Morrison and Thin Lizzy leader Phil Lynott (also deceased), he's one of only four Irish rock artists honored in the first set of commemorative stamps issued by the Irish government honoring rock and roll legends.

A pioneering guitarist, singer and bandleader, Gallagher was noted for his fiery live shows, constant touring and tireless devotion to blues, rock, country and roots music in general. As the leader of the power-trio Taste in the late '60s and as a solo artist from 1971 on, he paved the way for U2 and numerous other Irish acts that followed.

In 1971 he was voted Melody Maker's International Top Musician of the Year, ahead of Eric Clapton.

Ditto to Danelectro59's posting,he has taken most of the words right out of my mouth.I can remember seeing Rory Gallagher on the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' back in in the very early seventies,the programme showed a clip of a gig and him performing 'Messin' With The Kid' and,I think,'I Could Have Had Religion'.I was about fourteen at the time and I thought he was fantastic.The first record I ever had by any artist was Rory's 'Live In Europe' and I was hooked ever since.I still feel he was hugely underated both as a singer and songwriter.Sadly missed.

Ditto to Danelectro59's posting,he has taken most of the words right out of my mouth.I can remember seeing Rory Gallagher on the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' back in in the very early seventies,the programme showed a clip of a gig and him performing 'Messin' With The Kid' and,I think,'I Could Have Had Religion'.I was about fourteen at the time and I thought he was fantastic.The first record I ever had by any artist was Rory's 'Live In Europe' and I was hooked ever since.I still feel he was hugely underated both as a singer and songwriter.Sadly missed.

Thanks, Walesdad. Another great song from OGWT that he did was "Walk on Hot Coals." Blistering guitar solo, as usual, but also some keen keyboard work from Lou Martin. But check out Taste's 2nd album "On The Boards" to catch a glimpse of what Rory was to become later on. That album has it all. Blues, jazz, country and, of course, rock. That's where "Morning Sun" came from. One of my favorite tunes is "Railway and Gun." The song starts with Rory gently finger picking the guitar with drummer John Wilson keeping time on the snare with rim clicks. At the end of the verse, you can actually hear Rory crank up the volume pot on his guitar as the song explodes into the next verse. Also, you may like "It's Happened Before, It'll Happen Again." Jazzy tune with a Charlie Parker-esque be-bop feel to it. Rory even plays a pretty good sax on the song.

Edited by danelectro59

Thanks, Walesdad. Another great song from OGWT that he did was "Walk on Hot Coals." Blistering guitar solo, as usual, but also some keen keyboard work from Lou Martin. But check out Taste's 2nd album "On The Boards" to catch a glimpse of what Rory was to become later on. That album has it all. Blues, jazz, country and, of course, rock. That's where "Morning Sun" came from. One of my favorite tunes is "Railway and Gun." The song starts with Rory gently finger picking the guitar with drummer John Wilson keeping time on the snare with rim clicks. At the end of the verse, you can actually hear Rory crank up the volume pot on his guitar as the song explodes into the next verse. Also, you may like "It's Happened Before, It'll Happen Again." Jazzy tune with a Charlie Parker-esque be-bop feel to it. Rory even plays a pretty good sax on the song.

Your welcome friend.I don't know why,but the only Taste material I have is a cd best of that was released a couple of years ago,it does though include a few of the songs that you mentioned above.The album illustrates the versatility of Rory that you mentioned and this post will probably spur me on to get some of those Taste albums that I have missed out on over the years.You mentioned "On The Boards" having it all,well I've always thought that throughout his career,Rory Gallagher simply had it all.The man could do anything,he'd probably have made a good job of blowing the bagpipes.To illustrate my point,my Rory Gallagher top five would probably include things like"Messin' With The Kid","If I Had A Reason","Continental Op","Should Have Learnt My Lesson" and "Edged In Blue".Among that lot you've got rock,blues,a walzt tempo tune and a rock ballad!If you wanted to include things like "Calling Card"(a jazz flavoured classic) or any of the many solo acoustic tunes that he did that had touches of the blues or country music in them,they all show what a master of pretty much any genre of music Rory Gallagher was.

By the way,I can remember that other "Old Grey Whistle Test" appearance that you mentioned,I think the band also did a terrific version of "Hands Off" as well.I liked the Gallagher/Mc Avoy/Campbell band,but for me the top line up behind Rory Gallagher would always be Gerry McAvoy/Rod De'ath/and particularly Lou Martin.With the addition of keyboards,the bands sound really opened up.As I've said before,a hugely underrated musician who is sadly missed.Cheers.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

One of my first gigs was seeing Rory at the Irish Centre Leeds. utter brilliance

I would love it for the Rolling Stones to release the (around 1975) rehearsal tapes with Rory ,Apparently they kept him hanging so he told them he had some Japanese dates pre-booked ,they could n't give a decision before he went so he said I'm off get in touch when I get back. The Stones never did