Madison Square Garden 1977

Misfit

Ah. Still weird that the torrent site I used this morning is now missing this one. The other site I use has it readily available though, like 500 seeders.

It did get 'pulled' from one site for not having complete extacting lineage <_<

Shame there seems to be a skip at the beggining of Over The Top, not sure if it the CD or EV yet...

I took an 'extended lunch break' this afternoon and checked out disc one. IMO sound quality is somewhere between the Houston and Landover boards. There is a cut in NQ, as usual right when JPJ is switching from the Rhodes to the grand piano (the Landover boards have cuts in the same places more or less), but what a joy it was to crank the "Nutrocker" bit full blast! I know, some people find it out of place within the context of NQ, etc, but as far as I'm concerned, Jonesy busting out the Tchiakovsky (sp?) -courtesy of The Stingers- was a bit of inspired genius.

Even on the soundboard the audience sounds fucking insane. Oh to have actually been there...

Of course, like any soundboard, it brings out the mistakes the audience tape ambience tends to cover up. Page has a few sticky fingered moments -the solo in NFBM comes to mind- but that's about par for the course for 1977, innit? :D

I won't have time to fully digest the whole thing till the weekend, but based on what I've heard thus far, I'd have to say the "Rawhide" audience source will still be my 'go to' version for this gig.

(And, should of any of those 'torrentially challenged' folk out there want this, shoot me a PM.)

I took an 'extended lunch break' this afternoon and checked out disc one. IMO sound quality is somewhere between the Houston and Landover boards. There is a cut in NQ, as usual right when JPJ is switching from the Rhodes to the grand piano (the Landover boards have cuts in the same places more or less), but what a joy it was to crank the "Nutrocker" bit full blast! I know, some people find it out of place within the context of NQ, etc, but as far as I'm concerned, Jonesy busting out the Tchiakovsky (sp?) -courtesy of The Stingers- was a bit of inspired genius.

Even on the soundboard the audience sounds fucking insane. Oh to have actually been there...

Of course, like any soundboard, it brings out the mistakes the audience tape ambience tends to cover up. Page has a few sticky fingered moments -the solo in NFBM comes to mind- but that's about par for the course for 1977, innit? :D

I won't have time to fully digest the whole thing till the weekend, but based on what I've heard thus far, I'd have to say the "Rawhide" audience source will still be my 'go to' version for this gig.

(And, should of any of those 'torrentially challenged' folk out there want this, shoot me a PM.)

Yeah idk to me the houston sbd has way to much treble. I cant blair that show without breaking my windows lol. This sbd is about as good as they get for 77 in terms of sound. The show is quite good as well. The cuts on this 1 are freagin annoying tho so yeah maybe not the definitive version. I'll wait for somone to mix in aud bits for the cuts and take away that awful shrieking noise in Achilles Last Stand at the beginning.

This release could definitely use some tweaking. It's muddy in parts and if a Winston came around to clean it up, it would sound superb. As for the performance, if you're a fan of the 77 tour, then this is a must have!!!

I'll take a soundboard any day of the week over audience. This is an energetic performance by the band. Plants sings well, Bonham drums well, Page plays well (for '77), and heck, given the disaster in Florida less than a week prior to this performance, Zep had something to prove! And they did it! Rock on, New York '77!!!

Underground Uprising said:

"The bonus 3CDs feature the newly surfaced audience recording of the show on 10 June 1977"

Cool B) ...I'm guessing that would be the 1st gen recording shared over at Dime last year. Only newly surfaced in that generation, mind you (it's the recording used as the basis for the "Rock And Roll Circus" June 10 boot). :P I wonder when the claims that it "didn't come from the internet" will start...

Why June 10 though? Why didn't they decide to work their "magic" on one of the June 7 audience recordings? The raw "Rawhide" source sounds pretty decent as it is, but with a little work on it it could sound fantastic!

Which is exactly what the 'bonus discs' are...that said, they didn't do that bad of a job with them tapes. I always loved the atmosphere on that recording. :P Lots of noisemakers...

Which is exactly what the 'bonus discs' are...that said, they didn't do that bad of a job with them tapes. I always loved the atmosphere on that recording. :P Lots of noisemakers...

I believe that it's this recording where you can clearly hear the tapers giving a girl in the crowd her first session...

I believe that it's this recording where you can clearly hear the tapers giving a girl in the crowd her first session...

Right, the 'Artie' source for this show (June 7), during NQ..."John Paul Jones is a fucking awesome musician," he says, as if there is no doubt in the dude's mind whatsoever. :D I smoke a fair bit, but these tapers were like Cheech and Chong, Noo Yawk style.

Though I was referring to the 'bonus discs' which is the common June 10 recording. And the 1st gen or whatever it was that came out a while back sounds better than the discs offered here. Artie and his homeboys tapes an alternate source (not that 1st gen/"Rock And Roll Circus") for June 10 as well...and sure enough they fuck up during NQ because one of the guys 'set himself on fire'...and there's a third June 10 recording which is probably the best of the lot, cept it's pretty cut up as well. So the most common source is the 'best'/most complete.

Like I've said before, quite a few tapers were in the audience during those '77 MSG shows. Between the six shows (off the top of my head) there's thirteen different recordings in circulation. None are quite Millard quality (and a couple are pretty damn awful) but compared to the other multinight runs of the tour (LA, Landover, Chicago) there's a lot more Big Apple tapes. Which is good; some of those shows were the best of the tour...night for night, I'd go as far as to say they are at least on par with the LA run. And may even surpass...

No Quarter is GLORIOUS! John Paul's piano solo leading up to the Nutrocker is great, full of gospel-tinged blues and all kinds of cool stuff. Then there's Kashmir, once again completlely screwed up (what the hell, they just can't remember how this one goes!) Robert is in great shape. Still listening, but, all in all, a good show

The bonus disc from the 10th - I have "Riot in Thunderstorm" already, how does this source compare to that one?

The bonus disc from the 10th - I have "Riot in Thunderstorm" already, how does this source compare to that one?

The bonus discs are the "Riot In A Thunderstorm" recording-simply a remaster of the 1st gen tapes that did the rounds a little while back.

I had the funniest thing happen to me on youtube...Some guy told me how led zeppelin sold their souls to become famous except for jpj. I knew the story already but i couldnt believe that people actually believed in this still. The same theory of how all the awful things that happened to led zeppelin over the years were from the pact with the devil. Does anybody have anything to say about this other than that the four members of led zeppelin were not super natural they were some of the most talented musicians to come out of england. I mean i guess they all just sold their souls and all that practice and seesion work by page had nothing to do with their success.

I thought i would share that here because all the best zep fans on the forum are on this topic right now anyway.

That's a matter for another thread. Well, I don't even think it deserves a thread since it's complete rubbish.

A freind dropped off a thumb drive with the FLACs last night! I'll decode and burn today and report back this evening. One more thing to be thankful for! Thanks Dave!!!

OK! This is an above average sounding soundboard of an above average show (even by Zep standards)! The recording lacks bass and treble but is free of noise and hiss and the seperation between instruments is excellent. Hot show, Plant's voice good, Page playing well (for '77), nice IMTOD and SIBLY, great Bron-yr Stomp and a unique and intense No Quarter. Get this one!

(Too bad about the missing music, I'd love to hear a matrix with Rawhide.)

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to attend the 6/7/77 show, my only Zep concert. I was also lucky to get a bootleg tape (actually 3 cassettes) of this show back in 1978. The tapes actually still play, but they are just another pretty average audience recording. I'm pretty sure they're from the same source as reviewed by Luis Rey in his books years ago.

Damn seems like a LONG time ago, as I was just 18, but made the trip by myself from upstate NY...I'll never forget any of the trip, or the show, or getting out of the Garden after the encores at post mid-nite, and no idea of how to get back to my car in Katona at the Metro trainstation...

I was lucky enough to attend the 6/7/77 show, my only Zep concert. I was also lucky to get a bootleg tape (actually 3 cassettes) of this show back in 1978. The tapes actually still play, but they are just another pretty average audience recording. I'm pretty sure they're from the same source as reviewed by Luis Rey in his books years ago.

Damn seems like a LONG time ago, as I was just 18, but made the trip by myself from upstate NY...I'll never forget any of the trip, or the show, or getting out of the Garden after the encores at post mid-nite, and no idea of how to get back to my car in Katona at the Metro trainstation...

There are at least two known audience recordings for this show: Rey presumably reviewed the "Artie" source, where the tapers talk and hoot their way through the show; the recording sounds like a big party with a bit of Zeppelin playing in the background. During NQ Artie makes his fanboy comments about JPJ; the tapers also smoke a girl up during Jonesy's piano solo. The newly-stoned girl gets very impatient, shouting "C'mon!!" every thirty seconds. This source has been around for years- is this the one you have?

The other recording is in very wiiiiiiide stereo, and sounds a hell of a lot better than Artie's. There is the occasional drop out on the right speaker (microphone got unplugged?) and there are a couple of 'marks' on this recording as well: one of the tapers sneezes during IMTOD during the "Oh my Jesus" bit and during NQ the same guy comments on the laser show ("Look! On the roof! They got a fuckin' laserium goin' on!"). This is known as the "Rawhide" source.

Who knows? Maybe you have a third recording...there were a few tapers in the audience for the MSG '77 shows.

Archived