New Stephen Davis Book Re the '75 Tour

kenog

I have put this under trivia because the book is from the guy behind 'Hammer of the Gods', Stephen Davis. He has this new book coming out shortly, supposedly based on lost notes from his time on the '75 tour. (What kind of a journalist loses notes from something so important?). How much of this book do you think will be based on fact? It sounds to me like he is screwing every last penny he can from having been on that tour.

http://www.amazon.com/LZ-75-Lost-Chronicles-Zeppelins-American/dp/1592405894/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287168645&sr=1-2

I'll be picking this up, but taking it with a grain of salt. No doubt it will be full of drugs and groupies but we are talking the '75 tour after all, they were doing huge amounts of cocaine by this point.

No shortage of people trying to make quick money from the Zeppelin legacy. Enough already...it's old news dry.gif

You also notice that in that video he holds up heaps of things, but we never see the 'notebooks' themselves.

You also notice that in that video he holds up heaps of things, but we never see the 'notebooks' themselves.

Yeah. I'm not bagging on anyone who want's to buy it as it will be something that most collectors will want. I'm just tired of the same old... I knew the band BS. Know what I mean ?:beer:

I'll be picking this up, but taking it with a grain of salt. No doubt it will be full of drugs and groupies but we are talking the '75 tour after all, they were doing huge amounts of cocaine by this point.

...the year '75 is most interesting to me personally in all of my newness in new land, 13 years of age, when Zep toured in the early winter'75....I shall remain open minded, I will connect with the local library,

Here is little excerpt from Rodney Bingenheimer (I scanned this article long while ago); Guitar World'86

..."But the glory days of the sixties were coming to a halt and the "anything goes" attitude of the Hyatt House and the hoopla surrounding the English bands was dying. Or rather changing...

Previously many fans from the Led Zeppelin era here on the forum state that in '75 the "groupie" scene was increasingly coming to halt, the drugs were very much present...

IMHO Freedom of Writers/Press is very important.... in mutual respect, the "Notes" likewise should be publicly made available in the book, I hope someone in Zep Camp will attend to this...

ed for SP

Here's a little more info:

Rock writer Stephen Davis got to live out every fan's dream in 1975 as he toured with the band. He took meticulous notes, interviewed the band members, and took amazing candid photos to commemorate the time to share this never-before-seen side of LED ZEPPELIN with the world… but then he lost it.

Fast forward 30 years and Stephen miraculously found the notebooks with everything from the tour… and he wants to share everything with you in his new book "LZ-'75: The Lost Chronicles of Led Zeppelin's 1975 American Tour" (on sale October 28; $22.50). The book contains:

* Lost interviews with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page

* Revelations about a rock star who moonlighted as a heroin dealer

* A show-by-show account of the 1975 tour including technical details and descriptions of how the stage (and backstage) really looked and felt

* Insider info on what really went on at the "Riot House"

* The identity of the lover in "What is and What Should Never Be" and "Black Country Woman"

* Vivid descriptions of the extravagant lifestyle that the band lead while on tour: penthouse suites, weekend trips and late night parties on The Starship

"LZ-'75" will have readers feeling like they're on the road and backstage with the band, night after night. Strap yourself in and get ready to ride on the ZEPPELIN once again.

Rock writer Stephen Davis got to live out every fan's dream in 1975 as he toured with the band. He took meticulous notes, interviewed the band members, and took amazing candid photos to commemorate the time to share this never-before-seen side of LED ZEPPELIN with the world… but then he lost it.

Fast forward 30 years and Stephen miraculously found the notebooks with everything from the tour… and he wants to share everything with you in his new book "LZ-'75: The Lost Chronicles of Led Zeppelin's 1975 American Tour" (on sale October 28; $22.50). The book contains:

* A show-by-show account of the 1975 tour including technical details and descriptions of how the stage (and backstage) really looked and felt

* The identity of the lover in "What is and What Should Never Be" and "Black Country Woman"

* Vivid descriptions of the extravagant lifestyle that the band lead while on tour: penthouse suites, weekend trips and late night parties on The Starship

"LZ-'75" will have readers feeling like they're on the road and backstage with the band, night after night. Strap yourself in and get ready to ride on the ZEPPELIN once again.

I'm looking forward to reading this, mostly because of the amount of live Zep recordings I listen to.

PS: http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781592405893/Lz-75 10 pounds with free worldwide shipping!

I'm looking forward to reading this, mostly because of the amount of live Zep recordings I listen to.

Believe me, I'm not reading the book to find out what happened at the Riot House.... I doubt Stephen has any First-Hand knowledge of what went on "Behind Closed Doors" ! ! ! --- Just Second-Hand/Mouth Information from "others" :yesnod:

I do not know who the rock star who moonlighted as a herion dealer is (Keith Richards instantly comes to mind, however, I do not think that is who it is). Not that I really care but I am curious to read who it was.

The identity of the lover in "What is and What Should Never Be" and "Black Country Woman"? I am almost (98 %) positive it is Maureen Plant's younger sister. I will admit that I do not know her name.

The identity of the lover in "What is and What Should Never Be" and "Black Country Woman"? I am almost (98 %) positive it is Maureen Plant's younger sister. I will admit that I do not know her name.

I know her sister's name but regardless I think Stephen Davis is going out on a limb with such assertions unless Robert himself has confirmed this to be true.

I know her sister's name but regardless I think Stephen Davis is going out on a limb with such assertions unless Robert himself has confirmed this to be true.

I guess with my post and your reply that I must be almost 99% (if not 100%) accurate. I have no idea if there is/was/was not any confirmation by Robert himself. I highly doubt that Robert would admit to some indiscretion with his own wife's sister with any journalist and especially not to his own wife (past of present).

I just have to listen to "Black Country Woman" and hear the lyrics:

"Hey, hey, baby, why you treat me mean (X2)

You didn't have to crucify me like you did

You didn't have to tell me I was just your kid

Hey, hey, mama, why'd you treat me mean

You didn't have say you'd always be by my side

You didn't have to tell me you'd be my blushin' bride

Hey, hey, mama, why you treat me mean

But that's alright, I know your sister, too...

You didn't have to crucify me like you did

You didn't have to tell me I was just your kid

Hey, hey, mama, what's the matter here

You didn't have to tell me you would be my own

You didn't have to tell me, baby, let me go

Hey, hey, mama, what is wrong with you

That's alright, I know your sister, too.

What's the matter with you, mama...

Listening to the complete lyrics to this classic Led Zeppelin song, I get the impression that Maureen must have done something really wrong and embarassed Robert enough to immortalize it in a song. Or maybe Robert did something really wrong (like balling her sister) that was way too much for Maureen and she "left him with that beer in My face".

Either way, again, if you listen to this song and pay attention to the lyrics, I think that this is a personal Lover's quarrel whether fictionalized by Robert Plant or not.

Wow. Stephen Davis is still around - 20 years later. Here's the deal: Plant and Page often claim to have a spotty memory when it comes to tales on the road - be it from drugs, booze, all-nighters, etc. So much of Zep's history has indeed come from those around them - the Lisa Robinsons, the Richard Coles, etc. The problem is precisely that there's no-one to verify the information when the original band members themselves claim ignorance. That gives some credence to whatever Stephen Davis chooses to dig up or fabricate! 75 wasn't my favourite year - but it was a big year for Zep and they came out of their publicity shell....

I can't wait for this book. He was THERE. Some writers take info out of other books, the internet, rags, etc. Personally I like the first person accounts best. Even if small parts aren't entirely 100% (Virgoish :P ) accurate, it is from someone there and I give them far more credence.

This one I will get. Along with Keith Richards book. :cheer:

post-12775-048742800 1287439195_thumb.gi

The rock icon who moonlighted as a heroin dealer is, I'd guess, Iggy Pop, who's already mentioned as a heroin user in HOTG. RP's mysterious lover, at least as revealed in this book, is probably going to be his wife's sister. I don't think Davis has any new info to report, just elaborations on the dirt he already made in the earlier work. I've said elsewhere that Davis has to be given credit for actually meeting and traveling with LZ during a significant period - he was there for the "I'm a Golden God" quote, after all - but the issue most fans have with his reportage is his skewed selection of sources (Richard Cole, Lori Mattix, et al) and emphasis on the scandal rather than the music. May be worth a skim, but I'm biased towards other Zeppelin books...

post-12775-059942600 1287439241_thumb.jp

post-12775-048742800 1287439195_thumb.gi

The rock icon who moonlighted as a heroin dealer is, I'd guess, Iggy Pop, who's already mentioned as a heroin user in HOTG. RP's mysterious lover, at least as revealed in this book, is probably going to be his wife's sister. I don't think Davis has any new info to report, just elaborations on the dirt he already made in the earlier work. I've said elsewhere that Davis has to be given credit for actually meeting and traveling with LZ during a significant period - he was there for the "I'm a Golden God" quote, after all - but the issue most fans have with his reportage is his skewed selection of sources (Richard Cole, Lori Mattix, et al) and emphasis on the scandal rather than the music. May be worth a skim, but I'm biased towards other Zeppelin books...

post-12775-059942600 1287439241_thumb.jp

Hi George C,

As a writer, what do you think is the likelihood of an author losing his notes from such an important tour, and then to suddenly discover them 30 years later? IMHO, it is like he is filling up his pension fund. He knows LZ fans will buy it irrespective of the quality.

Secondly, I notice from your profile that you say that you have more LZ material on the way. Are you able, at this stage, to expand on that?

Thanks

Hi George C,

As a writer, what do you think is the likelihood of an author losing his notes from such an important tour, and then to suddenly discover them 30 years later? IMHO, it is like he is filling up his pension fund. He knows LZ fans will buy it irrespective of the quality.

Secondly, I notice from your profile that you say that you have more LZ material on the way. Are you able, at this stage, to expand on that?

Thanks

Kenog:

I think you're right that Davis is probably returning to his golden goose one more time, perhaps naming a few more names or giving out some more juicy details that he didn't have time or space for in HOTG. I can't imagine that, even if he really did lose his notes, he wouldn't have already included the most titillating details in the earlier book. The presence of drugs on the '75 tour, Bonham's taste for violence (including his assault on the Starship stewardess), and Plant' exuberant Golden God boast have already been exposed by him, so the new "revelations" are probably going to be anticlimactic.

As to your second question, I am indeed in the editing stage of another LZ book that won't see print until about a year from now (even today, publishing is a VERY slow industry). I can't give you a lot of details on it other than to say what it isn't: a gossipy tell-all, a lavishly illustrated photo book, an authorized biography (yeah right!), a fictionalized story, a quiz book, a recipe book (Tangerine, Hot Dog, Tea For One, Custard Pie), a comedy, a kids' book, a Dummies book, a Chicken Soup book, a Daily Affirmations book, or music instruction. Hope that helps.

PS If you want to read a blatantly fabricated account of Led Zeppelin on tour, check out Straight Whisky: A Living History of Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll on the Sunset Strip. That one mentions Page injuring his hand "in a heroin nod" and describes Plant's inner thoughts as he chooses between two groupies sitting on his hands in a booth at the Rainbow. Next to that, Stephen Davis's accounts sound pretty plausible.

Kenog:

I think you're right that Davis is probably returning to his golden goose one more time, perhaps naming a few more names or giving out some more juicy details that he didn't have time or space for in HOTG. I can't imagine that, even if he really did lose his notes, he wouldn't have already included the most titillating details in the earlier book. The presence of drugs on the '75 tour, Bonham's taste for violence (including his assault on the Starship stewardess), and Plant' exuberant Golden God boast have already been exposed by him, so the new "revelations" are probably going to be anticlimactic.

As to your second question, I am indeed in the editing stage of another LZ book that won't see print until about a year from now (even today, publishing is a VERY slow industry). I can't give you a lot of details on it other than to say what it isn't: a gossipy tell-all, a lavishly illustrated photo book, an authorized biography (yeah right!), a fictionalized story, a quiz book, a recipe book (Tangerine, Hot Dog, Tea For One, Custard Pie), a comedy, a kids' book, a Dummies book, a Chicken Soup book, a Daily Affirmations book, or music instruction. Hope that helps.

PS If you want to read a blatantly fabricated account of Led Zeppelin on tour, check out Straight Whisky: A Living History of Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll on the Sunset Strip. That one mentions Page injuring his hand "in a heroin nod" and describes Plant's inner thoughts as he chooses between two groupies sitting on his hands in a booth at the Rainbow. Next to that, Stephen Davis's accounts sound pretty plausible.

Thanks George. :thumbsup:

Oh whatevvvver. :o

I'm still going to BUY and read it. Unless someone wants to send me their copy if it's such trash.

I understand MSG, your feelings for Bonzo. However, it doesn't make me think ANY less of him, and since I don't have a copy yet..... I really can't judge the book. Surely it's not dedicated to trashing Bonzo. At least I hope. I've known people like Bonzo and they have been dear friends, maybe they get intoxicated and act silly, or kick someone's ass. So what? My own son will kick ass if he see's a woman being abused. And I DEARLY love him in spite of his temper for things like that.

And ALL writers are in it for the $$$.

I admitted that I did not know the name of Robert Plant's wife Maureen's sister. I have since discovered that her name is Shirley.

Whether she is the woman with whom Robert may have had an affair with or not, with or without the knowledge of his own wife Maureen, her own sister, I could not possibly know and actually do not possibly care. Even if it is true, Shirley would be only one of thousands of women Robert Plant had had "sexual relations" with throughout the "mighty Reign of Led Zeppelin" and even up to this day.

• 2 weeks later...

I got "LZ -75" in the mail last week and read it. A good read; chapters were fairly short; not as salacious as I thought it would be. At times, it reminded me vaguely of the William Miller arc in Almost Famous.

LZ-75 comes across as being fondly reminiscent of the mid-1970s and almost poignant. Clearly, Davis relishes his brief time with the mighty Zeppelin and delves a bit more into the character of each member. He did repeat, albeit not too much, some of the stuff from "Hammer of the Gods". I'd have been more surprised if he hadn't.

I think the point he was making was that the beginning of the end of the phenomenon known as Led Zeppelin wasn't in 1977 on the Presence Tour, but, ironically, on the Physical Graffiti Tour two years prior, when they were arguably at their creative peak.

Thought the bit about Cameron Crowe being referred to by the band and management as Cameron Crowbar was a funny analogy. The bit about Bonzo waking everybody up by blasting his stereo at 3 a.m. and the school teacher from Indiana just trying to get inside the bubble (however briefly) are particularly noteworthy.

Bottom line: if you're looking for untold tales of the Plaster Casters or the GTOs, you're going to be disappointed.

Archived