War Stories

Kayte

Anybody got any war stories? I love hearing war stories; I don't know why. Maybe cuz war is an ironic sorta unifier or something.

I'll start with some brief ones:

• My great-great-great-great-great-grandfather George Adams fought under Mad Anthony Wayne in the Northwest Indian Wars, I believe at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, which ended a lot of the Indian raids into Kentucky. Later, General Wayne dispatched him and the other troops to build Fort Recovery. Then, granddaddy Adams settled in Steubenville where his kids were steamboat-men on the Ohio.

• My grandmother used to work in a box factory when the boys were away during World War II. She said part of the factory was so hot and steamy that the ladies took off their blouses and worked in their bras. lol Kinda hard to believe. She also got about hundred postcards at once from a friend's boyfriend, sent over from France, I think. His name was Charlie, I believe, and everything in the postcards was blotted out except for the words "I love you." He died over there, too. Kinda awkward....

• Daddy was in 'Nam and fixed aircraft with the 256th Trans. He was lucky that he didn't see any combat, but he did have to work with the odor of decaying bodies wafting onto the base from a nearby hospital. He also described an encounter with a very bad-tempered monkey.

• My great-great-great-grandfather was arrested a coupla times for aiding the Confederates during the American Civil War. His brothers were Union. Classic brother-against-brother! Got a coupla those kindsa stories...

• My brother-in-law, who's been to Afghanistan a coupla times, described some shenanigans by the US Marines that ended up causing a humungous explosion. Luckily no one was injured. lol

Anybody else?

I don't have any interesting stories about family members going off to war, although I have a lovely photo of my grandad (on my dad's side) in his uniform before he went off to serve in the Second World War. The most interesting/funny story I have about the Second World War relates to my grandmother (on my mum's side). She was living in the Midlands here in Britain when the war kicked off. She was only a young girl at the time. She was out playing with friends on a bridge, and made the silly decision to put her head through the railings to see what was happening on the ground below. She tried to take her head out of the railings but it got stuck. :rolleyes: As she was stuck there she saw loads of German planes flying over-head. :o They were on their way to blitz Coventry which was nearby. She eventually managed to get her head out and then ran straight back home in a state of panic.

It's quite a silly story, I know, but one my gran will never forget. :D

My dad, in his late teens, was in pilot training for the U.S. Navy during WWII. The war ended before he saw any live action.

My father in law was a U.S. Marine and fought in the battle at Iwo Jima. He still has shrapnel imbedded in his body. At 85, he gets choked up when talking about his days in the Marines.

My dad was in the US Navy during the Second World War and took part in the Battle of Okinawa aboard the destroyer U.S.S. Barry as a gunner's mate. AFAIK, that was the only combat he saw during the war. After the war, he took part in an expedition to the Antarctic aboard an ice cutter. My sis still has the grainy black and white photos. That was the one thing he took pride in and I remember as a kid being fascinated by his stories.

My father in law was in the 101st Airborne and took part in D-Day invasion, parachuting in before the landing of the main force on Utah. He also was at Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. He was one tough ass guy, even in his 80's.

Both are gone now, and like many others, we can't thank them enough for the service they gave their country.

My father in law was a U.S. Marine and fought in the battle at Iwo Jima. He still has shrapnel imbedded in his body. At 85, he gets choked up when talking about his days in the Marines.

I have an actual recording on cassette of the Marines invading and fighting on Iwo Jima. It's kind of surreal to hear.

I have a distant relative who fought wiith the Marines on Guadalcanal. His last name is Chennault and General Claire Chennault (Flying Tigers) is also a distant relative of mine.

My brother Larry was in Vietnam in 1966-67 and was based at Cu Chi where the commies had their tunnels. He was in the 'Wolfhounds' and here in town was a guy who was there at the same time as my brother (they didn't know each other) but he said the Wolfhounds were some bad ass dudes. He was in the 25th Infantry 'Tropic Lightning' division which also fought at Guadalcanal. The only thing my brother ever told us about in Nam was when their truck hit a mine and he was blown off and never found his rifle. They had M1-A .308 rifles at the time.

Two of my nephews also served in the Army in Vietnam. Two other brothers also served there, one in the Navy and one in the Merchant Marines.

I'm currently reading the book 'The Best Years Of My Life' by Harold Russell who was a double amputee in WW2. He lost his hands in an accident while training guys here in the states. He went on to star in the great movie 'The Best Years Of Our Lives' and he won 2 Oscars (best supporting actor, and a special Oscar for inspiring other wounded vets). Even though he wasn't a pro actor, director William Wyler was able to guide him in the film.

Don't have much in the way of stories but my grandpa on my dad's side was in WW1 and I have his ordinace box that my dad gave me. Has a bunch of my grandpas papers in it now. My uncle was in special ops in WWII in Europe against the Germans. He never talked about his experiences and he was not quite right with life after his experiences.

My father his 6 brothers my mother and all of her brothers all met the call for King and Country during WWII. The amazing thing about this is that all of them survived. Two uncles sunk at sea in the and both became POW's. They were traded off in a prisoner exchange. Three DDay survivors who had originally been part of the British Expeditionary force who were rescued at Dunkirk. The North African campaign... Al Alemain, East Africa , India, Burma and the Palestine campaigns all part of my family history.

Extended family includes my late friend and mentor, a member of the US Marine Corp who has the distinguished record of seeing more action in Vietnam than any other Marine. Three tours in all and recipient of the Navy Cross . His son who was part original Shock and Awe invasion of Iraq in 2003.

It all sounds glamorous but the sad reality is that may of these people did not recover from their experiences and all would have traded those experiences for a normal teenage life. You know, the one that most of us on this forum had or are living at the moment.

If I've learned anything from listening it would be...Make peace people !

Hi All,

A very good friend of mine had an uncle who deserted before he was sent to war during WW2, family keep him hidden in attics until he thought it safe to give himself up. This happened in 1985, 40 years after the war had ended, the police told him that they hadn't even been looking for him as he was lost in the system. :o

40 years of living in attics looking over your shoulder every day, and for nothing, that was punishment enough don't you think?

Regards, Danny

my son is currently doing a tour in afghanistan............great kid.....over there now

Hi Bettleron,

Give him my sincere regards, he is already a hero in my book, I hope he keeps safe and well and his return to you will be as happy as when he was first born. My own son has done two tours of Afghanistan already so I know how you are feeling. If you ever need to talk I'm always here for you mate.

His brother in law is a Captain in the Bomb Disposal Unit of the Royal Engineers, he married an American and brought her over here to live with him, they then had a baby, within a month he was redeployed to Germany for a three year tour, two weeks later he gets redeployed again, yes to Afghanistan and he has to leave his poor wife alone in Germany without friend or relative nearby and with a new born baby to bring up. The Good Old Army doing a Good Job hey? I think not.

Regards, Danny

Hi all,

Even we are talking war stories,it is good to hear people opening up about family history,both the past and current,....

Briefly: My Uncle Pete fought in Normandy and the campaign in Europe.As a kid,who watched Combat!,Victory at sea,etc,.....the only time I asked him about it,he got a stone cold look on his face,....never asked him again.

My da, was a Sargent in the USMC during the Korean war,never talked about it either.

Me,about two months away from being drafted to Vietnam,war ended.

Two years ago,I worked at a home,for homeless Vets.

KB

Beetleron I really hope that your son is safely returned to you.

Danny, your son is a hero for serving in Afghanistan. Heroes are the ones that return alive, as well as the ones we see coming back in coffins, we must remember that. In my view it takes a lot more than courage to go out there.

Magic

Beetleron I really hope that your son is safely returned to you.

Danny, your son is a hero for serving in Afghanistan. Heroes are the ones that return alive, as well as the ones we see coming back in coffins, we must remember that. In my view it takes a lot more than courage to go out there.

Magic

Thanks magic,

And We get him a tin of Hero's from Azda every year to show our appreciation. :wub:

Heros.jpg

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-342.jpg

When he came back from Afghan the last time he decided to get married, (June 2009) and this was the fateful day, he looks so relaxed doesn't he? and he richly deserved to be, not a bad looking boy either don't ya think?

Regards, Danny

My Grandfather (X) was a Sergeant in The Lighthorse and served in WWI & II.

Told me many graphic tales of gore and and good times amid such a horrible time.

One story in particular was when they came back to London from The Dardenelles and on the way to Southampton and to France by train.

The English officers had all this whisky and food ready to take with them for the trip.

So he marched his section of about 7 troops up to the officer who was "looking after" the supplies and told him he was ordered to load the goods on to the train and asked him where it was to be taken.

They then proceeded back to the train with about 4 or 5 cases of booze and other goodies and partied all the way to the ship and until they reached France.

One Uncle served in the Army, New Guinea (Kokoda) WWII, never spoke about his experiences.

His brother served in the US Navy Small Ships (PT Boats) ship sunk in the Pacific, no survivors, I never knew him.

Pa's jump off point Cairo, Egypt 1916.

He saw action at Gallipoli and France.

popegypt1916.jpg

- My great uncle (my dad's dad's brother) was a waist gunner on a B-17 during WWII. My one halfway interesting story about him is that he met Cary Grant while he was stationed in England - how's that for off-the-wall? His plane was shot down over France...we just recently found out that he's buried in Amiens. I got to go inside a B-17 a few months ago at the Palm Springs Air Museum - it was really cool. I can't imagine sitting in that metal tube while it's up in the air and someone's firing at you. I come from a line of flying-inclined people, but let me tell you, that's not for me.

- My grandpa (my mom's dad) was in the Army during the Battle of the Bulge. I don't know much about that...he wasn't exactly big on talking about it. All I know is that my mom asked him once if he'd ever like to go back to Europe, and he replied, "I think I've seen quite enough." He also helped liberate one of the concentration camps, but I can't remember which one. Something I will never forget is seeing the photos he took there. It's sickening enough to see images of them on TV or something, but seeing actual photos...indescribable feeling.

- My grandma (my dad's mom) used to work on/be a test pilot for PB2Y Coronados at Consolidated Aircraft during WWII. She wanted to be one of the women who made cross-country runs to deliver them, but my grandpa wouldn't let her. He was a Merchant Marine and a Seabee.

Thanks magic,

And We get him a tin of Hero's from Azda every year to show our appreciation. :wub:

Heros.jpg

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-342.jpg

When he came back from Afghan the last time he decided to get married, (June 2009) and this was the fateful day, he looks so relaxed doesn't he? and he richly deserved to be, not a bad looking boy either don't ya think?

Regards, Danny

Hi Danny

That's a lovely picture, you must be so proud of him.

He looks very handsome, then I guess he must take after his dad. :D I've always had a thing for men in military uniforms. ;)

Magic

Hi Danny

That's a lovely picture, you must be so proud of him.

He looks very handsome, then I guess he must take after his dad. :D I've always had a thing for men in military uniforms. ;)

Magic

Hi Magic,

You don't think flattery will get you anywhere with this old fool do you? :o:lol:

All my boys look like Me and have many of My characteristics, Great Beauty, Humanity, Humour, Intelligence, Wit, Bullshit, to name just a few. :rolleyes:

I was a spotty teen, in my 20s you would have had to get in the queue, from 30 onwards I went downhill fast but I can still turn the heads of the Blue Rinse Brigade, on Special Occasions. ;)

I have tried to cast aspersions as to their parentage many times but as Misses BIGDAN has pointed out to me, they are the embodiment of Me, spitting images in every way, even Jeremy Kyle wouldn't do a DNA test for Me, he said it was obvious to all "Who's the Daddy" and wouldn't waste his money on Me. :(

The Happy Couple.

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-132.jpg

So you like men in uniform do you? Feast your eyes. :blush:

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-189.jpg

The Afghan Medal, he also has a UN Medal because the UN took over jurisdiction while he was out there but the Army wont let him wear it for reasons so secret even they don't know. :mad:

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-014.jpg

Regards and Enjoy , Danny

Hi Magic,

You don't think flattery will get you anywhere with this old fool do you? :o:lol:

All my boys look like Me and have many of My characteristics, Great Beauty, Humanity, Humour, Intelligence, Wit, Bullshit, to name just a few. :rolleyes:

I was a spotty teen, in my 20s you would have had to get in the queue, from 30 onwards I went downhill fast but I can still turn the heads of the Blue Rinse Brigade, on Special Occasions. ;)

I have tried to cast aspersions as to their parentage many times but as Misses BIGDAN has pointed out to me, they are the embodiment of Me, spitting images in every way, even Jeremy Kyle wouldn't do a DNA test for Me, he said it was obvious to all "Who's the Daddy" and wouldn't waste his money on Me. :(

The Happy Couple.

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-132.jpg

So you like men in uniform do you? Feast your eyes. :blush:

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-189.jpg

The Afghan Medal, he also has a UN Medal because the UN took over jurisdiction while he was out there but the Army wont let him wear it for reasons so secret even they don't know. :mad:

Sarah-Daniel-Wedding-014.jpg

Regards and Enjoy , Danny

Hi Danny

:lol:

They're such lovely pictures, thanks for sharing.

I'll save the one of the men in uniforms for later. ;)

I'm sure your son wears his medal with pride. It's seeing things like this that make me proud to be British.

The UN is an insane organisation with insane rules. It's no wonder they can never get anything done!

Magic

Sorry to ruin the "party" here, but SOMEONE has tos ay this :):):)

By blackglove at 2010-10-27

I don't feel any real "Sorrow" in your post just another Atlas type who wants to ruin a topic just because they can.

You should stick to posting Semi Naked Pictures of Women, it seems to take up most of your time anyway.

And leave the Real Men to keep you safe and well and tucked up in a warm bed. :o

And when the War comes your way be sure to keep your head down and keep a steady supply of toilet paper handy, we wouldn't want you to mess yourself when you hear a few big bangs would we? ;)

Regards, Danny, "a pacifist who fights for his family and friends"

I don't feel any real "Sorrow" in your post just another Atlas type who wants to ruin a topic just because they can.

You should stick to posting Semi Naked Pictures of Women, it seems to take up most of your time anyway.

And leave the Real Men to keep you safe a well and tucked up in a warm bed. :o

And when the War comes your way be sure to keep your head down and keep a steady supply of toilet paper handy, we wouldn't want you to mess yourself when you hear a few big bangs would we? ;)

Regards, Danny, "a pacifist who fights for his family and friends"

Hi Danny

I was wondering how long it would take before we got the whole anti-war, pacifist argument shoved down our throats.

I have nothing against pacifism, but I do think that people who believe in it are striving for a utopia that we'll never see. War is and always has been an integral part of the human condition. Humans are tribal by nature, and there will always be opposition and disagreements between us (just look at some of the heated discussions on here!). You don't need to be social anthropologist to see that. As a civilised species we need ensure that our reasons for waging war are just and a measure of last resort.

As the Ancient Greek philosopher Plato aptly stated 'Only the dead will see the end of war'.

Magic

Very well said Magic Fills the Air.

BIGDAN thank you so much for sharing those WONDERFUL pictures of your son. He and you have my utmost respect. All the best to him, his bride, and new baby. And of course to you too!

Take Care,

Barb

Very well said Magic Fills the Air.

BIGDAN thank you so much for sharing those WONDERFUL pictures of your son. He and you have my utmost respect. All the best to him, his bride, and new baby. And of course to you too!

Take Care,

Barb

Hi Barb and thank you, no new baby though :( unless you know something that I don't, :o the baby was his brother in laws who is the officer on the far left in the picture of Army boys. ;)

Kind Regards, Danny

Archived