Classical Music

tdc

Anyone notice how Page throws a bit of Bourree in e minor by J.S. Bach into his guitar solo on Heartbreaker how the west was won version?

Has anyone noticed that when questioned in an interview as to whether Page thinks of himself as a musical genius, he says something along the lines of 'that title should be reserved for the classical masters' (not an exact quote, but close).

Or how Page has said he was influenced by the music of Gustav Mahler?

Anyone ever noticed how Robert Plant once compared Page's musical contributions in rock as similar to those of Richard Wagner in classical?

Or how Paul Mccartney has successfully composed in a classical style as well as Jon Lord from Deep Purple?

Or that in his recent autobiography Eric Clapton says he listens to baroque, classical and opera music?

Or how Randy Rhoads credited his inspiration for the 'Diary of a Madman' guitar riff to Leo Brouwer's simple study #6 for guitar?

So that being said, any fans here? If so, who are your favorite composers? :)

(Some of mine):

J.S. Bach

Joaquin Rodrigo

Maurice Ravel

Claude Debussy

Gustav Mahler

Antonio Vivaldi

My favorites are:

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Pyotr Tchaikovsky

Maurice Ravel

Claude Debussy

Franz Liszt

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Ludwig van Beethoven

Hector Berlioz

Béla Bartók...

Well the list is very long....

Classical music is great, there are few music genres that have that power....

• 1 month later...

My late Dad, Grandmother and my ex wife were all classical working musicians all their life, so have a love and appreciation of Orchestral music. Probably been to as many classical concerts as have Rock/metal/pop/ gigs.

Mozart to me is probably the most beautiful of music,

But having been to so many classical gigs in my youth I found a love and appreciation of Shostokovich.

As a guitarist (primaraly electric) then old Bach and Pagganini are always a winner.

But jeez they have all written epic stuff and Prokofiof (sorry bout spelling) and his version of Romeo and Juliet is epic stuff.

Rock and Classical music can reach epic heights where as Jazz and pop have its good moments but never reach epic heights, they dont take you on journeys.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, of course. I love classical music. My favorite composers are:

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Johan Sebastian Bach

Richard Wagner

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Frederic Chopin

Johannes Brahms

Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Franz Schubert

George Frideric Handel

Guiseppe Verdi

Antonio Vivaldi

Antonin Dvorak

Joseph Haydn

Richard Strauss

Igor Stravinsky

Edward Elgar

Gustav Holst

Sergei Rachmaninoff

Carl Orff

any serious music lover who doesn't love/appreciate the genius of classical music is insane. People keep arguing about who the first rock star was - Elvis, Little Richard etc.....give me a break. People like Mozart and Paganini were going mental hundreds of years before that....

I love classical music and listen to it regularly...being austrian i was obviously at source for much of it (although a few years later) and things like the New Years Concert are part of my heritage and a fixture of my Jan 1st routine no matter where in the world I am....

Rock and Classical music can reach epic heights where as Jazz and pop have its good moments but never reach epic heights, they dont take you on journeys.

So true.

I think Zeppelin and Floyd came closest to those epic heights that Classical music has to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

So true.

I think Zeppelin and Floyd came closest to those epic heights that Classical music has to offer.

Wrong, pop music can reach musical heights, and by pop music I mean the real pop music, not Madonna and Mickael Jackson, the "pop" you hear in the supermarkets.By pop music I mean A Day in the life , eleanor rigby, dear prudence, the Abbey Road medley by The Beatles; Elton John and Bernie Taupin in the seventies with albums such as Goodbye Yellow Brick road and Captain Fantastic(Someone saved my life tonight is a masterpiece).

The songs below show you that pop music can reach musical heights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lXOuZgm_eY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7a0Gm379E&feature=related

Archived