THANK YOU ENGLAND, FOR

redrum

Maybe i should have said "My Nemisis" then?

All else you say i concur with, and if my spelling or grammer is a little off, so fcuking what? as long as you/we can understand each other then thats all that matters isnt it? and all my mistakes are done on purpose so as to keep all the FLP (Forum Language Police) awake.

Kind Retards, Danny

PS, Enit? :lol:

PPS, And Electro has had a right proper upbringing, she tells us so all the time. :rolleyes:

I can always understand you, BIGDAN, although I am sometimes tempted to correct you.

Do you think it's against forum rules to correct people, BTW? I mean, we're allowed to correct them on factual errors, so why not their grammar & syntax too? Of course, with some people, it would be a thankless and tedious task, and one suspects it would go right over their heads and they'd just carry on making the same dumb-ass l337 mistakes. But with others - especially those who appear to take their language seriously - they might actually appreciate a little well-intentioned fine tuning, and maybe even be grateful?

I'll be guided by you on this. What ya reckon?

I can always understand you, BIGDAN, although I am sometimes tempted to correct you.

Do you think it's against forum rules to correct people, BTW? I mean, we're allowed to correct them on factual errors, so why not their grammar & syntax too? Of course, with some people, it would be a thankless and tedious task, and one suspects it would go right over their heads and they'd just carry on making the same dumb-ass l337 mistakes. But with others - especially those who appear to take their language seriously - they might actually appreciate a little well-intentioned fine tuning, and maybe even be grateful?

I'll be guided by you on this. What ya reckon?

Hi Bouillon,

No rules are broken by correcting people.

YOUR asking ME for MY opinion on my worst subject here ya know?

I'm a really down to earth simple kinda bloke, (Ignorant, me Nan used to call me) and i can say that without fear of controdiction from family and friends and all who know me, and some that dont, so if you really want my input then the answer is "YES" please keep on correcting all Grammer and Syntax mistakes Ad Nauseam if you will. :o

"Go get em Clyde"

Kind Regards, Danny

Thanks for the vote of confidence, BIGDAN, it means a lot to me.

Well I'd better toodle off to bed now, because with my new mission ('Protect Our Language From The Unwashed Adulterators'), I'll obviously be very busy here tomorrow. I'll have to get up really early too, cos it's ages since I last saw my Grammar Nazi armband, and I'll be needing that for spiritual sustenance :thumbsup:

What the hell - we learned 'em how to ROCK, now we can learn 'em how to RITE :P

Thanks for the vote of confidence, BIGDAN, it means a lot to me.

Well I'd better toodle off to bed now, because with my new mission ('Protect Our Language From The Unwashed Adulterators'), I'll obviously be very busy here tomorrow. I'll have to get up really early too, cos it's ages since I last saw my Grammar Nazi armband, and I'll be needing that for spiritual sustenance :thumbsup:

What the hell - we learned 'em how to ROCK, now we can learn 'em how to RITE :P

"Taught Them" Bouillon "Taught Them". :o;):lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, "Rock and Write" Musical Books or what? :lol:

When it comes to English, I'm a total snob. I have no trouble admitting that. Years of getting it drilled into my head, both at school and at home, have caused me to almost develop a tic when I see people who are native English speakers completely unable to spell/write properly. I deal with business and professional writing all day, and you would not believe the amount of really simple, yet completely inane grammar and spelling mistakes I have to correct all the time.

I think that you are a complete and total snob when it comes to anything, not just English. I have no trouble admitting that too. I would bet that you develop a "tic" whenever you read other people's post that you do not agree with (and I think that you never really agree with anyone). You are so quick to judge, ridicule and even demean others that it seems to be a running (and continuous) joke around here, on this Led Zeppelin forum.

You seem to have no problems judging, ridiculing and demeaning others, however, when others do the same to you, you always seem to "ignore" or "avoid" responding back. I get ridiculed every now and then, however, that does not bother me one iota. IF I CAN DISH IT OUT, I CAN TAKE IT. You, on the other hand, can only DISH IT OUT. Why is that?

Now, I know that you are going to read this. It is up to you to respond/reply. If you do, I can expect the usual snide, snippy and/or sarcastic reply from you, electrophile. So, what's it going to be from you? Avoidance or Sarcasm?

In England, where the language and grammar was actually invented, use of the 'Oxford comma' is generally taken to be a sign of a poor education.

It's now officially grammatically incorrect in the UK to use the Oxford or serial comma. Inserting the cojunction 'and' into a sentence when listing particular things makes the comma redundant. For this reason, Oxford University has recently abandoned the use of the comma.

However, in compounded sentences, like 'The dog barked, and then ran away.', I would use a comma.

It's now officially grammatically incorrect in the UK to use the Oxford or serial comma. Inserting the cojunction 'and' into a sentence when listing particular things makes the comma redundant. For this reason, Oxford University has recently abandoned the use of the comma.

However, in compounded sentences, like 'The dog barked, and then ran away.', I would use a comma.

Yes, agreed.

There are quite a few basic points I've never bothered to learn properly, because the rules can be so complicated, and advice is often contradictory. For example, I often agonise over whether to use a dash, colon or semi-colon; I also sometimes have problems with 'that' vs. 'which'; and don't even bother asking me about whether to add an S after the possessive apostrophe following a word ending in S :huh:.

Maybe I should learn these. I would hate it if someone were to correct me - especially here, after all I've said elsewhere...:D

That has always been the notion over here that beer is served at room temp in England. I was surprised that the beer is served cold and to my delight I might add. It might be a common misconception along the lines of the English having really bad teeth.

That has always been the notion over here that beer is served at room temp in England. I was surprised that the beer is served cold and to my delight I might add. It might be a common misconception along the lines of the English having really bad teeth.

I guess you could be right. Some types of ale are still served warm.

More of a wine drinker myself. ;)

Bitter is supposed to be served at room temperature, I believe. I don't drink the stuff, because it gives me terrible heartburn and makes me fart. Lager, on the other hand, has always been served cold over here.

The bad teeth is a fair cop, guv.

Bitter is supposed to be served at room temperature, I believe. I don't drink the stuff, because it gives me terrible heartburn and makes me fart. Lager, on the other hand, has always been served cold over here.

The bad teeth is a fair cop, guv.

Speak for yourself.

Leddy, what is the correct way to say you're "bored of" something? Like "I'm bored of my job." I can't think how else you would/should express that. Unless it's entirely wrong and one should just say, "My job bores me."

Apropos of nothing, I remember the actor Jeremy Northam on an American chat show years ago observing rather scornfully that Americans say "different than" when they're making a comparison rather than the British expression "different to." Lighten up, man!

Thank you, Britain, for cottage pie

Cottage-Pie-2.jpg

and Jeremy Northam, though he is a bit of a cranky-pants

lrg_1112200840813.jpg

Since Leddy doesn't hang around these days - it's "bored with". "Bored of" is not correct grammar - well according to everything I was taught anyway :D

BTW just looked back through this thread and realised you must have been answering my post but thinking of Leddy B)

Can we maybe lay off the witch-hunt on Electrophile please? It's starting to look far worse than any bullying you guys are accusing her of. And strange for you two "newbies" to have such an agenda against her.

You're right, I'm wrong. This is off topic anyway. But I can assure I have no agenda with her or other history, other than responding to her snide remarks aimed at me.

And now for something completly different...

Thank you England for Knebby. If she isn't royalty, she should be.:kiss:

Cheers,

Brad

Err ok. :unsure:

Last off-topic word from me: I do think everyone is entitled to repsond to remarks made to/aimed at them personally, and also to argue with viewpoints they don't agree with. I guess that's the whole point of the "discussion forum".

Can we maybe lay off the witch-hunt on Electrophile please? It's starting to look far worse than any bullying you guys are accusing her of. And strange for you two "newbies" to have such an agenda against her.

Aye, 'tis quite strange indeed. Doesn't bother me though; I deal with people like that all day long. Those two are small potatoes compared to them. I can't even read their posts anyway, so I don't see the point, but if they insist on entertaining the rest of you, who am I to stop it?

Since Leddy doesn't hang around these days - it's "bored with". "Bored of" is not correct grammar - well according to everything I was taught anyway :D

BTW just looked back through this thread and realised you must have been answering my post but thinking of Leddy B)

It must have been a Freudian slip, my apologies. I definitely meant you, KNEBBY. I'm so bored with these mental lapses of mine! And I'm so bored with the U.S.A.! See, I'm learning.

Counting to ten....

Oh screw it!

Oh my God! A victim without a clue.

See what you made me do Electrophile? You made me respond.

Don't encourage her Knebby. She is not responsible for her words or actions anyway.

:slapface:

FTFY.

No one is blinder than he who will not see.

FTFY.

No one is blinder than he who will not see.

Thank you England for Humour. :rolleyes:

Q. What do you call a Deer with no eyes?

A. No Idea. (No eyed deer)

Q. What do you call a Dinosaur with no eyes?

A. Efortysaurus. (He thought he saw us)

Kind Retards, Danny

Archived