William Blake

William Golding

Philip Larkin

Ted Hughes

Doris Lessing

Ian Fleming

Alfred Molina

Edward Elgar

Just a few important people I forgot to mention. I don't know how could I have missed H. G. Wells. He is one of my favorite writers of all time. Alfred Molina too, one of my favorite actors. I'll definitely be back with more people or things.

Thatcher certainly did what she believed in, she was strong willed, so will give her that, but The Tories always have to tinker with the NHS, something this country has to be proud of, Thatcher certainly did that and was right in the middle of it all in the late 80's with the NHS, not always for the better.

In one way you could say the fact Thatcher let council tennants buy and own their own home is on the surface a good thing, but the fact they then didn't replace the sold off houses with others for people who needed to get a roof over their head, undid the former, it just made more people greedy but not actually helping the ones who need it. Its ok for most of us on here who probably own their homes etc, but to sell council houses off and not replace with new is just wrong. Not for the people who bought them as thats wonderful for teh tennants having an option to buy....just replace if your going to do it, as once those houses were sold, they then resold to other home owners and not to people who were on the waiting list.

Thatcher sold everything and sold our souls, but to say its trendy to dislike her is a very glib comment, you only have to look at the facts.

You don't need to be a politicain to take it out on the poorer lot....you just have to be bloody EVIL like Thatcher was:):)

^^You're not the only one Beetleron! I went into a bookshop on Sunday and the counter was filled with Wills and Kate themed confectionery and other cheap tat (rubbish)! It's usually an upmarket store, so I was quite surprised. The merchandise is literally everywhere here, and we've still got 2 months to go!!

Buy yours now!! :rolleyes:

kate-middleton-prince-william-teeshirt-500ac1116101.jpg

william-kate-condoms-430ld0201111.jpg

images8-1.jpg

I was just reading about Margaret Thatcher, and noted a passage that elaborated on the milk in schools issue. Apparently Margaret Thatcher protested the cuts on free milk for school children.

When the Conservative party under Edward Heath won the 1970 general election, Thatcher became Secretary of State for Education and Science Secretary of State for Education and SkillsThe Secretary of State for Education is the chief minister of the Department for Education in the United Kingdom government. The position was re-established on 12 May 2010, held by Michael Gove....

In her first months in office, Thatcher came to public attention as a result of the administration of Edward Heath's decision to cut spending. She gave priority to academic needs in schools, and imposed public expenditure cuts on the state education system, resulting in, against her private protests, the abolition of free milk for school-children aged seven to eleven. She believed that few children would suffer if schools were charged for milk, however she agreed to give younger children a third of a pint, daily, for nutritional purposes.

absoluteastronomy.com

Thatcher certainly did what she believed in, she was strong willed, so will give her that, but The Tories always have to tinker with the NHS, something this country has to be proud of, Thatcher certainly did that and was right in the middle of it all in the late 80's with the NHS, not always for the better.

In one way you could say the fact Thatcher let council tennants buy and own their own home is on the surface a good thing, but the fact they then didn't replace the sold off houses with others for people who needed to get a roof over their head, undid the former, it just made more people greedy but not actually helping the ones who need it. Its ok for most of us on here who probably own their homes etc, but to sell council houses off and not replace with new is just wrong. Not for the people who bought them as thats wonderful for teh tennants having an option to buy....just replace if your going to do it, as once those houses were sold, they then resold to other home owners and not to people who were on the waiting list.

Thatcher sold everything and sold our souls, but to say its trendy to dislike her is a very glib comment, you only have to look at the facts.

Agreed she made significant cuts in public spending on the housing sector by −67.0 %, but the gross domestic product grew by +23.3% between 1979/80 to 1989/90 during her tenure as Prime Minister. When the GDP grows, what matters most is whether the per capita wealth increases as a result, as opposed to only a few individuals having the benefit. I wonder who was most enriched by the growth in the GDP percentage-wise or if the enrichment was more or less homogenous per individual.

absoluteastronomy.com

• 4 months later...

I was taught to always use the Oxford comma. For example, if I say "I invited my father, a tuba player, and a ballerina to my party", that denotes three individuals invited to the party. If I say "I invited my father, a tuba player and a ballerina to my party", that makes it sound like my father is a tuba player who wears a tutu. Hence why the Oxford comma is essential. When you speak, you naturally insert pauses where commas would go in something written/typed, right? So why wouldn't you then type out the comma when transposing what you said to a computer or a piece of paper?

I was taught to always use the Oxford comma. For example, if I say "I invited my father, a tuba player, and a ballerina to my party", that denotes three individuals invited to the party. If I say "I invited my father, a tuba player and a ballerina to my party", that makes it sound like my father is a tuba player who wears a tutu. Hence why the Oxford comma is essential. When you speak, you naturally insert pauses where commas would go in something written/typed, right? So why wouldn't you then type out the comma when transposing what you said to a computer or a piece of paper?

Either way can create confusion, actually. In your example if you said "I invited my father, a tuba player, and a ballerina to my party", that can still denote that your father is a tuba player. And it is correct to say that it isn't always used in England. Mind you, grammar is getting worse every day all over the world.

I do think your condemnation of those who don't use the Oxford Comma is wrong, and sadly rather snobby. Sorry.

If she wants to say that her father is a tuba player and a ballerina, she should write 'I invited my father, a tuba player and a ballerina, to my party'.

And how would a Philistine say it? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards, Danny

And how would a Philistine say it? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards, Danny

:rolleyes:

:lol:

To be fair, it's very difficult to get English grammar and syntax right all the time - and only real pedants care enough to research it.

Without wishing to sound too arrogant, I think it's fair to say that I had just about the best education one can get in England, and my school was extremely fussy about grammar & syntax. Although I came top of the class in English most years, there are plenty of obscure points that I've either forgotten or never understood in the first place - clause identification, for example. WTF.

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that one is able to communicate accurately, succinctly, and preferably without too many glaring errors - such as the 'Oxford comma'.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

To be fair, it's very difficult to get English grammar and syntax right all the time - and only real pedants care enough to research it.

Without wishing to sound too arrogant, I think it's fair to say that I had just about the best education one can get in England, and my school was extremely fussy about grammar & syntax. Although I came top of the class in English most years, there are plenty of obscure points that I've either forgotten or never understood in the first place - clause identification, for example. WTF.

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that one is able to communicate accurately, succinctly, and preferably without too many glaring errors - such as the 'Oxford comma'.

Hi Bouillon,

I would put "Politeness" as being a must above all those other words you have used, something i have been quite short on in the past and something that Admin has had to remind me of on many an occation, thanks Admin. ;)

You may want to bring that observation to your Nemesis Electro. :yesnod:

Kind Regards, Danny

Either way can create confusion, actually. In your example if you said "I invited my father, a tuba player, and a ballerina to my party", that can still denote that your father is a tuba player. And it is correct to say that it isn't always used in England. Mind you, grammar is getting worse every day all over the world.

I do think your condemnation of those who don't use the Oxford Comma is wrong, and sadly rather snobby. Sorry.

When it comes to English, I'm a total snob. I have no trouble admitting that. Years of getting it drilled into my head, both at school and at home, have caused me to almost develop a tic when I see people who are native English speakers completely unable to spell/write properly. I deal with business and professional writing all day, and you would not believe the amount of really simple, yet completely inane grammar and spelling mistakes I have to correct all the time.

Hi Bouillon,

I would put "Politeness" as being a must above all those other words you have used, somethink i have been quite short on in the past and something that Admin has had to remind me of on many an occation, thanks Admin. ;)

You may want to bring that observation to your Nemesis Electro. :yesnod:

Kind Regards, Danny

I was confining myself to grammar & syntax, BIGDAN. But you're right - a modicum of politeness is a prerequisite for all civilised communication. Unfortunately, although some schools teach it, most don't. Generally, it's something one has to rely on one's family or peers to inculcate. A lack of politeness is therefore not usually a sign of a poor education, but more often a poor upbringing.

BTW, if I have a nemesis, I've yet to meet them. It certainly isn't Electro.

When it comes to English, I'm a total snob. I have no trouble admitting that. Years of getting it drilled into my head, both at school and at home, have caused me to almost develop a tic when I see people who are native English speakers completely unable to spell/write properly. I deal with business and professional writing all day, and you would not believe the amount of really simple, yet completely inane grammar and spelling mistakes I have to correct all the time.

That makes sense. I get VERY irritated by certain grammatical controversy - I cannot stand seeing "bored of", for example, as I was taught (very strictly) that this is incorrect. I also hate just out-and-out mistakes like "should of" instead of "should have". But I make mistakes on the internet all the time - writing in places like this is, to me, so different from "official" writing, and I get lazy with it.

A couple of spelling mistakes REALLY irritate me - "rediculous" and "genious" - and the age-old "preform", you may remember ;)

I was confining myself to grammar & syntax, BIGDAN. But you're right - a modicum of politeness is a prerequisite for all civilised communication. Unfortunately, although some schools teach it, most don't. Generally, it's something one has to rely on one's family or peers to inculcate. A lack of politeness is therefore not usually a sign of a poor education, but more often a poor upbringing.

BTW, if I have a nemesis, I've yet to meet them. It certainly isn't Electro.

Maybe i should have said "My Nemisis" then?

All else you say i concur with, and if my spelling or grammer is a little off, so fcuking what? as long as you/we can understand each other then thats all that matters isnt it? and all my mistakes are done on purpose so as to keep all the FLP (Forum Language Police) awake.

Kind Retards, Danny

PS, Enit? :lol:

PPS, And Electro has had a right proper upbringing, she tells us so all the time. :rolleyes:

Archived