Robert Plant- Band of Joy

I have listened to The band of Joy, Percy's latest non-Zep effort. When I listen to this, I like it alot, but I still can't help but ask....couldn't Page, Jones, and Bonham have played this? Sounds like music that would have influenced Page and Jones in their teens. I know Plant has tried everything possible to distance himself from the shadow of the Zeppelin, and wants to continue moving forward....but isn't this the title of a band he was in before Zeppelin? How is that going forward? Also the symbol of the back of the CD, offshoot from Led zeppelin's untitled 4th LP? Sounds like there is some contradiction here.....But I don't mean to sound negative, I love the album, and I also appreicate the effort put into the packaging and presentation of this project. Well done indeed.

I have listened to The band of Joy, Percy's latest non-Zep effort. When I listen to this, I like it alot, but I still can't help but ask....couldn't Page, Jones, and Bonham have played this? Sounds like music that would have influenced Page and Jones in their teens. I know Plant has tried everything possible to distance himself from the shadow of the Zeppelin, and wants to continue moving forward....but isn't this the title of a band he was in before Zeppelin? How is that going forward? Also the symbol of the back of the CD, offshoot from Led zeppelin's untitled 4th LP? Sounds like there is some contradiction here.....But I don't mean to sound negative, I love the album, and I also appreicate the effort put into the packaging and presentation of this project. Well done indeed.

So, what you're saying is, why doesn't he just re-join forces with Jones and Page for a new band? I wonder how many times he's had to answer that question already.

So, what you're saying is, why doesn't he just re-join forces with Jones and Page for a new band? I wonder how many times he's had to answer that question already.

He's probably had to answer it a million times, that comes with being the lead singer for arguably the greatest rock band of all time. What I'm asking is, if he's supposedly moving forward, why look to the past for the Band of Joy and the feather? It just seems contradictory to me, maybe I'm trying to find some unknown reason as to why they couldn't just rejoin forces to create new music, so yeah, why not? Why not join up with Page, Jones, and Bonham to create new music? I guess what I'm trying to find is something more than just, they aren't in the same place musically.

Maybe Robert wanted to play this style of music with JJJ and they didn't want to? JPJ did go a much heavier route as well

as Jason with BCC.

There are soooo many possiblities that I've given up. Unless I get to speak to the source one day.....it's all just hearsay!

He's probably had to answer it a million times, that comes with being the lead singer for arguably the greatest rock band of all time. What I'm asking is, if he's supposedly moving forward, why look to the past for the Band of Joy and the feather? It just seems contradictory to me, maybe I'm trying to find some unknown reason as to why they couldn't just rejoin forces to create new music, so yeah, why not? Why not join up with Page, Jones, and Bonham to create new music? I guess what I'm trying to find is something more than just, they aren't in the same place musically.

Why? That's more than enough reason. :mellow:

I know Plant has tried everything possible to distance himself from the shadow of the Zeppelin, and wants to continue moving forward...

I have to agree with you there Zeppelin Dave. With the exception of the rare one-offs over the years, which I'm glad we had those. Robert Plant seems to always want to move forward in new musical directions leaving Led Zeppelin in the rear view mirror.

That's all fine and well and I get it from his standpoint, if he's got a "been there, done that" state of mind. He seems to be really enjoying life and that's the main thing,--not to sound all corny.

Here comes the big however. However, I wonder if Robert Plant might one day regret not having given Jimmy and the others a little more thought on the reunion tour. Because with all due respect to Robert's solo efforts and the BOJ etc., he will forever be known and remembered for being in the legendary band, Led Zeppelin. And by the way, that includes being responsible for Seventies anthem "Stairway To Heaven", which I've read he is embarassed to sing now. I just can't get over that one.

Paul, John, George, and Ringo all have/had very successful individual careers. But in the end it's their legacy as The Beatles they will be remembered for through the ages. I would have loved a couple more reunion tours from them too (back when it was possible). Just my 2 cents. :) missy

Yeh he is ever changing direction, but not moving forward musically , this type of music has been around and done before, but to Robert its a big eye opener to music he passed by or didn't really study when he was younger (I think, but don't know)r. and thats cool...he has got his niche and the critics like it too that must be nice for him.

One can only imagine the level of bitching if Plant still refused to perform any Led Zeppelin songs in his set. I'm sure it would far exceed the number of folks complaining that he does perform around 4 of them per night on his current tour.

One can only imagine the level of bitching if Plant still refused to perform any Led Zeppelin songs in his set. I'm sure it would far exceed the number of folks complaining that he does perform around 4 of them per night on his current tour.

laugh.gifbravo.gif

You lost me. I wasn't bitching. Also, I did see Plant in concert during the Shakin and Stirred tour in Toronto 1985, no Zeppelin tunes and a Honeydripper encore. But yeah anyway, you lost me.

You lost me. I wasn't bitching. Also, I did see Plant in concert during the Shakin and Stirred tour in Toronto 1985, no Zeppelin tunes and a Honeydripper encore. But yeah anyway, you lost me.

Zeppelin Dave,

I would have loved to seen him during that time period! :) Robert Plant had some great solo songs and chart success around 1982-1987 if I recall correctly. Did any of the audience members ask/yell for any Zeppelin songs? I'm just curious.....thanks missy

More On Topic: I think I read here or in a bio piece that Robert Plant had more than one reason for picking the band's name. It was something about taking the name for it's literal meaning, i.e. a band full of joy. Perhaps one of the Led Zep experts here can confirm that. I think most people like you, (and myself included) think it's a reference to his first band.

If it wasn't bitching then it was whining. I'm merely putting the shoe on the other foot by saying how some fans would react if they got their wish and he still refused to perform Zeppelin songs as was his policy at the beginning at his solo career.

I have to agree with you there Zeppelin Dave. With the exception of the rare one-offs over the years, which I'm glad we had those. Robert Plant seems to always want to move forward in new musical directions leaving Led Zeppelin in the rear view mirror.

That's all fine and well and I get it from his standpoint, if he's got a "been there, done that" state of mind. He seems to be really enjoying life and that's the main thing,--not to sound all corny.

Here comes the big however. However, I wonder if Robert Plant might one day regret not having given Jimmy and the others a little more thought on the reunion tour. Because with all due respect to Robert's solo efforts and the BOJ etc., he will forever be known and remembered for being in the legendary band, Led Zeppelin. And by the way, that includes being responsible for Seventies anthem "Stairway To Heaven", which I've read he is embarassed to sing now. I just can't get over that one.

Paul, John, George, and Ringo all have/had very successful individual careers. But in the end it's their legacy as The Beatles they will be remembered for through the ages. I would have loved a couple more reunion tours from them too (back when it was possible). Just my 2 cents. :) missy

I think if Robert wanted to do the reunion tour, he'd have done it. I don't think it matters that he's more known for being a part of Led Zeppelin (for him) - he's more focused on the present and the future and exploring new ground.

Yeh he is ever changing direction, but not moving forward musically , this type of music has been around and done before, but to Robert its a big eye opener to music he passed by or didn't really study when he was younger (I think, but don't know)r. and thats cool...he has got his niche and the critics like it too that must be nice for him.

What difference does it make if the music is old or new? I think Robert is interested in exploring and experiencing it. I also think whenever he's recorded other people's music, he puts his own interpretation on it, which is what makes them sound current and fresh as opposed to just rehashing something.

I have thought maybe it was just Robert wanting to distance himself from Zeppelin too, for maybe reasons to do with his bond with John, then I thought if that was the case why perform some of their songs with other people in other projects?

I personally think it is because of Jonesy. I think there is a riff there. Jonesy and Robert seem to have a disliking for one another.

And don't take me the wrong way I adore and love Robert, and admire the unbeleiveable talent that Jonesy holds, but I think the answer lies a little deeper than just getting away from Zeppelin.:huh:

Also, I did see Plant in concert during the Shakin and Stirred tour in Toronto 1985, no Zeppelin tunes and a Honeydripper encore.

Great tour, didn't heplay on a sloping stage too ?? I seem to remember that anyway, great album too and loved THe Honeydrippers interlude in the middle of the show.

What difference does it make if the music is old or new? I think Robert is interested in exploring and experiencing it. I also think whenever he's recorded other people's music, he puts his own interpretation on it, which is what makes them sound current and fresh as opposed to just rehashing something.

It makes no difference what's so ever, I was merely pointing out that he is breaking no new ground musically but just changing, yes he is interpreting it in his way as did Zeppelin with all the borrowing they did too, but its still not current though (again not a prob), its not a criticism of him, just observing as I see it. We are allowed different opinions, I love that he does as he wants now, I have said millions of times on here...I respect him for not giving in to the Zeppelin legend and for the last 30 odd years of not wheeling out the Zeppelin Juganaught, thats the easy option and although he did with JIm in the mid 90's it wasn't Zeppelin and that's cool however Miffed Jones might of been.

"Bigdan" I think its Robs Son in Law (his ex bass player) who parks the car now :)

I think if Robert wanted to do the reunion tour, he'd have done it. I don't think it matters that he's more known for being a part of Led Zeppelin (for him) - he's more focused on the present and the future and exploring new ground.

Definitely, in unison with you Ninelives on this. I like the direction Robert has taken and love his music. I'm sure I'll be enjoying it even more in person this Saturday at The Beacon.

Great tour, didn't heplay on a sloping stage too ?? I seem to remember that anyway, great album too and loved THe Honeydrippers interlude in the middle of the show.

I do remember Robert using an inclined stage during his Shaken and Stirred tour back in 1985. I saw him at the New Haven Coliseum which was demolished a few years ago.

Here is its' demise:

So Who's parking the car now then? :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

BIG DAN,

As much as I enjoy your humor and wit on this board, this joke is getting older than all of us Led Zeppelin fans by the year or a reunion rumor!

Archived